MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Expert Sleepers FH-2 'factotum'
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next [all]
Author Expert Sleepers FH-2 'factotum'
WDMN
Just seen this come up on MG:

More details here.

Not heard anything about this one before but looks pretty sweet, especially for Digitakt to modular. woah Anyone know anything more about it? (Sorry if it's been mentioned before but I couldn't find anything).
kamindustries
Was just considering selling my Yarns for an FH-1 + expander (I'm also a Digitakt user). I'm a little unclear on what they upgraded for this version. There's two-way clocking, USB-C, and the OLED display... anything else? Guess we'll find out later this week.

One thing I like about Yarns are all the arpeggiator patterns, and the Euclidean sequencer being connected to the arpeggiator. From what I can tell the FH-1 doesn't have these features. Hoping for something like it in the FH-2.

Edit: just to be clear, os has added very powerful arpeggiator options and euclidean rhythm generators to the FH-2 since this comment was posted, plus tons more useful stuff. This seems to be the best MIDI interface module out there right now, hands down.
geremyf
After the disting mk4 came out I knew the fh-1 would get a screen and so I held off. I can order now.
os
kamindustries wrote:
One thing I like about Yarns are all the arpeggiator patterns, and the Euclidean sequencer being connected to the arpeggiator. From what I can tell the FH-1 doesn't have these features. Hoping for something like it in the FH-2.

The FH-1 (and FH-2) has an arpeggiator. Euclidean patterns are on the to-do list, though not in yet.
neonmercury1
is there any news on the integration with the OP1? i know the last word with the fh1 was that the ball is in Teenage's court.
2disbetter
As a big fan of the fh-1 and because the fh series now supports being a USB device as well as a host, this is an instant buy.

Will there be compatibility with the fhx expansion modules or are they getting an update as well?

Edit: just looked and answered my own question. This is a definite buy and it will also sadly replace my Polyend poly.

I assume scripting is still possible (as this was truly the most powerful element of the fh series).

SlayerBadger! Rockin' Banana!
os
neonmercury1 wrote:
is there any news on the integration with the OP1? i know the last word with the fh1 was that the ball is in Teenage's court.

I have a meeting with them at Superbooth.

Quote:
I assume scripting is still possible (as this was truly the most powerful element of the fh series).

The same level of configuration is possible but I'm aiming to do away with the actual scripting.

The new config tool is here: http://expert-sleepers.co.uk/webapps/fh2_config_tool.html

and you can do all that in the module itself too.
2disbetter
os wrote:

The same level of configuration is possible but I'm aiming to do away with the actual scripting.

The new config tool is here: http://expert-sleepers.co.uk/webapps/fh2_config_tool.html

and you can do all that in the module itself too.

os wrote:
The same level of configuration is possible

Excellent. Fantastic work!

So... I can't like... place an order for 2 of them already could I? I'll be at SB for a convenient pick up as well... thumbs up
toneburst
Will the sequencer be 16-step?
os
toneburst wrote:
Will the sequencer be 16-step?

Possibly. The exact sequencer feature set hasn't been set in stone yet. I take it you'd like 16 steps?
toneburst
16 steps would be great, as the 8 steps of the FH-1 sequencer has always seemed a bit limited, to me.

Also really cool would be the ability to be able to sequence different aspects of the sequence (note, octave, tie/slide, accent) separately, with potentially different sequence-length for each would be great!

I realise I may be the only person who would find that useful, though wink
Funky40
the FH-2 allows for a more free programming ?
os
I'm not sure it's "more free". It's easier to do, and there's no underlying assumed pre-configuration to worry about.
os
If anyone's interested, I posted a pre-release user manual:

http://expert-sleepers.co.uk/downloads/manuals/fh2_user_manual_0.0.pdf
kamindustries
os wrote:
kamindustries wrote:

The FH-1 (and FH-2) has an arpeggiator. Euclidean patterns are on the to-do list, though not in yet.

Oh yeah, I mean Yarns has an option for "arp pattern" which changes the timing of the on/offs to be different rhythmic sequences. Admittedly I don't use this feature much at all and find the Euclidean stuff much more intuitive and flexible. If you add Euclidean patterns to the FH-2 with the standard options (length, fill, rotation) it'd be a monster.

Not necessarily v.2 related, but I just wanted to confirm, does the FH-1/2 have much higher bandwidth than MIDI on account of the USB connection? If I wanted to send 4 pairs of gate/CV as well as say, 8 LFO's, to an FH-2 + expander from my Digitakt would I experience any latency/packet loss/transmission issues?
os
USB MIDI is inherently higher bandwidth - 12 Mbit/s vs 31.25 kbit/s.

There is always latency in any digital system. Whether you can send all those MIDI messages depends on how often you want to send them.
hawkfuzz
So if I wanted to use this with something that doesn't send midi via USB I'd need the midi breakout module as well right?
os
Yes, or a similar DIY solution.
autopoiesis
kamindustries wrote:
os wrote:
kamindustries wrote:

If you add Euclidean patterns to the FH-1/2 with the standard options (length, fill, rotation) it'd be a monster.

fixed that for you... let's not forget about the predecessor here! euclidean gate parameters have been requested for fh1 for quite some time smile
PopGoblin
Looks perfect! Looking at the configuration web-pages, I can't see options for configuration of the cv INputs.

(Here's hoping for modulation and "adding" functions...)

Would love to pick up a couple at SB18 too wink
Funky40
os wrote:

if Euclidean patterns would come, would those come also to the FH-1 ?
and if so, would they be controllable by a midi controller like the Novation Launch control XL ?
now this would be fun

and OS, thanks for any replies in this thread in advance !
1n
Sequencer: I'd like to see repeat steps .

I'd like a trip to Europe...
trigger303
I heard FH-2 is capable of MPE, will FH-1 also get MPE capability in the future ?
os
The FH-1 is already capable of MPE.
WDMN
Sonicstate Superbooth:
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next [all]
Page 1 of 10