MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Expert Sleepers FH-2 'factotum'
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Expert Sleepers FH-2 'factotum'
WDMN
Just seen this come up on MG:

More details here.

Not heard anything about this one before but looks pretty sweet, especially for Digitakt to modular. woah Anyone know anything more about it? (Sorry if it's been mentioned before but I couldn't find anything).
kamindustries
Was just considering selling my Yarns for an FH-1 + expander (I'm also a Digitakt user). I'm a little unclear on what they upgraded for this version. There's two-way clocking, USB-C, and the OLED display... anything else? Guess we'll find out later this week.

One thing I like about Yarns are all the arpeggiator patterns, and the Euclidean sequencer being connected to the arpeggiator. From what I can tell the FH-1 doesn't have these features. Hoping for something like it in the FH-2.

Edit: just to be clear, os has added very powerful arpeggiator options and euclidean rhythm generators to the FH-2 since this comment was posted, plus tons more useful stuff. This seems to be the best MIDI interface module out there right now, hands down.
geremyf
After the disting mk4 came out I knew the fh-1 would get a screen and so I held off. I can order now.
os
kamindustries wrote:
One thing I like about Yarns are all the arpeggiator patterns, and the Euclidean sequencer being connected to the arpeggiator. From what I can tell the FH-1 doesn't have these features. Hoping for something like it in the FH-2.

The FH-1 (and FH-2) has an arpeggiator. Euclidean patterns are on the to-do list, though not in yet.
neonmercury1
is there any news on the integration with the OP1? i know the last word with the fh1 was that the ball is in Teenage's court.
2disbetter
As a big fan of the fh-1 and because the fh series now supports being a USB device as well as a host, this is an instant buy.

Will there be compatibility with the fhx expansion modules or are they getting an update as well?

Edit: just looked and answered my own question. This is a definite buy and it will also sadly replace my Polyend poly.

I assume scripting is still possible (as this was truly the most powerful element of the fh series).

SlayerBadger! Rockin' Banana!
os
neonmercury1 wrote:
is there any news on the integration with the OP1? i know the last word with the fh1 was that the ball is in Teenage's court.

I have a meeting with them at Superbooth.

Quote:
I assume scripting is still possible (as this was truly the most powerful element of the fh series).

The same level of configuration is possible but I'm aiming to do away with the actual scripting.

The new config tool is here: http://expert-sleepers.co.uk/webapps/fh2_config_tool.html

and you can do all that in the module itself too.
2disbetter
os wrote:

The same level of configuration is possible but I'm aiming to do away with the actual scripting.

The new config tool is here: http://expert-sleepers.co.uk/webapps/fh2_config_tool.html

and you can do all that in the module itself too.

os wrote:
The same level of configuration is possible

Excellent. Fantastic work!

So... I can't like... place an order for 2 of them already could I? I'll be at SB for a convenient pick up as well... thumbs up
toneburst
Will the sequencer be 16-step?
os
toneburst wrote:
Will the sequencer be 16-step?

Possibly. The exact sequencer feature set hasn't been set in stone yet. I take it you'd like 16 steps?
toneburst
16 steps would be great, as the 8 steps of the FH-1 sequencer has always seemed a bit limited, to me.

Also really cool would be the ability to be able to sequence different aspects of the sequence (note, octave, tie/slide, accent) separately, with potentially different sequence-length for each would be great!

I realise I may be the only person who would find that useful, though wink
Funky40
the FH-2 allows for a more free programming ?
os
I'm not sure it's "more free". It's easier to do, and there's no underlying assumed pre-configuration to worry about.
os
If anyone's interested, I posted a pre-release user manual:

http://expert-sleepers.co.uk/downloads/manuals/fh2_user_manual_0.0.pdf
kamindustries
os wrote:
kamindustries wrote:

The FH-1 (and FH-2) has an arpeggiator. Euclidean patterns are on the to-do list, though not in yet.

Oh yeah, I mean Yarns has an option for "arp pattern" which changes the timing of the on/offs to be different rhythmic sequences. Admittedly I don't use this feature much at all and find the Euclidean stuff much more intuitive and flexible. If you add Euclidean patterns to the FH-2 with the standard options (length, fill, rotation) it'd be a monster.

Not necessarily v.2 related, but I just wanted to confirm, does the FH-1/2 have much higher bandwidth than MIDI on account of the USB connection? If I wanted to send 4 pairs of gate/CV as well as say, 8 LFO's, to an FH-2 + expander from my Digitakt would I experience any latency/packet loss/transmission issues?
os
USB MIDI is inherently higher bandwidth - 12 Mbit/s vs 31.25 kbit/s.

There is always latency in any digital system. Whether you can send all those MIDI messages depends on how often you want to send them.
hawkfuzz
So if I wanted to use this with something that doesn't send midi via USB I'd need the midi breakout module as well right?
os
Yes, or a similar DIY solution.
autopoiesis
kamindustries wrote:
os wrote:
kamindustries wrote:

If you add Euclidean patterns to the FH-1/2 with the standard options (length, fill, rotation) it'd be a monster.

fixed that for you... let's not forget about the predecessor here! euclidean gate parameters have been requested for fh1 for quite some time smile
PopGoblin
Looks perfect! Looking at the configuration web-pages, I can't see options for configuration of the cv INputs.

(Here's hoping for modulation and "adding" functions...)

Would love to pick up a couple at SB18 too wink
Funky40
os wrote:

if Euclidean patterns would come, would those come also to the FH-1 ?
and if so, would they be controllable by a midi controller like the Novation Launch control XL ?
now this would be fun

and OS, thanks for any replies in this thread in advance !
1n
Sequencer: I'd like to see repeat steps .

I'd like a trip to Europe...
trigger303
I heard FH-2 is capable of MPE, will FH-1 also get MPE capability in the future ?
os
The FH-1 is already capable of MPE.
WDMN
Sonicstate Superbooth:
boboter
I just love listening to Os in interviews.

Also, the FH-2 looks fantastic! Great work.
ugokcen
This is truly impressive, Os has thought of every setup scenario as far as I can tell. woah

When the unit is operating as a USB midi device, can it still be the master clock and send out midi clock on USB?

I didn't see polyphony mentioned anywhere, but presumably it can handle chords coming from a midi keyboard, right?
2disbetter
ugokcen wrote:
This is truly impressive, Os has thought of every setup scenario as far as I can tell. woah

When the unit is operating as a USB midi device, can it still be the master clock and send out midi clock on USB?

I didn't see polyphony mentioned anywhere, but presumably it can handle chords coming from a midi keyboard, right?

The FH-1 can handle as many voices / channels as you have jacks to output to (FHX expanders). So you can absolutely play using more than 1 finger with the fh-2. SlayerBadger!

Bumped briefly into Os at SB, and the module really looks great, and the new streamlined configuration (replacing the awesome scripting capability of the FH-1 while retaining all the functionality) is ace and even possible directly on the module in a pinch.
os
ugokcen wrote:

Yes.

ugokcen wrote:

Yes, more-or-less the same as the FH-1.
os
Here's another video by Animato Audio:

charley2020
I was looking for a ES-3 for Syncing my DAW to the Rack. I don´t trust Midi very much especially when syncing external Sequencers. My Idea was to sync with ES-3 via Audio. (Maybe i am totally wrong, but i am just beginning)

Now i see this nice FH-2. It looks like i can Sync my DAW with this instead of the ES-3. When im not connected to my DAW i could play my Rack with a MIDI Keyboard and while in the Studio i still can hook up my Midi Keyboard to the Daw and Sync the Rack with the FH-2.

So probably getting a FH-2 is the better Choice?

I´ll loose the ability to send CV from the DAW to the Rack without an ES-3 but as far i can send Midi and Sync.

I think i didn´t get it quite right. Did I?
os
An ES-3 won't sync the DAW to the rack. It will sync the rack to the DAW, and it will do so better than anything using MIDI (including the FH-2).

The FH-2 will sync in either direction.
os
Here's the DivKid video:

Migrigsynth
I apologize before hand if this is a stupid question but can I connect my newer iPad (which has a Lightning connector) directly to the FH-2? Or, do I need an adapter plug of some sort? I looked on the Expert Sleepers website and didn’t see anything that talked about iPad connectivity.

Thanks

P.S. I have a DISTING Mk 4 and the thing is really fantastic! applause
os
You just need the Apple Camera Connection Kit (i.e. a Lightning to USB adaptor).
Migrigsynth
Thanks for the info. This will be the perfect solution for me. thumbs up
os

kamindustries
os wrote:
tuning videos

Sweeeeeeet applause
2disbetter
Very well done! Totally looking forward to getting this.
kamindustries
Will it be possible to set the arpeggiator to run faster or slower than the clock rate, say if I'm sending clock from my Digitakt?
2disbetter
Can the fh-2 output its own clock? Ie: can it be a clock source?

Edit: just answered my own question by rtfm. The answer is yes. thumbs up
os
kamindustries wrote:
Will it be possible to set the arpeggiator to run faster or slower than the clock rate, say if I'm sending clock from my Digitakt?

MIDI clock runs at 24PPQN (1/64th note triplets). The arpeggiator runs at any division of that.
os
circumambient
Hi there, looks brilliant! Realise this might be a slightly-too-niche feature for the first release, but is there a future possibility of some kind of microtonal support, perhaps via MIDI Tuning Standard or equivalent?
os
Yes, definitely.
os
If anyone's interested I updated the draft user manual:
http://expert-sleepers.co.uk/fh2firmware.html
Crankler
Thanks for posting the manual- I’m definitely super interested! Any further word on when the FH-2 will be shipping?
os
Should be June sometime. Can't be more specific yet.
jdvmi00
Man, I have to pre-order this. Looking now, nice work, hope it's out soon!
reodjectz
So I got the FH-1 what seems like only weeks ago and now there's this.

The big appeal is the clock out (I would use a digitakt as the master clock) rather than the weird synced LFO's of the FH-1. BUT the clock still takes up an output correct? So if I wanted 8 triggers I would need an expander to get the clock a the same time?

If yes - I'll stick with my current solution of having the digtakt go through USB to the FH-1 to get my triggers and then go 5-DIN Midi to the intellijel umidi to get my clock.
os
Yes, if you want 9 signals out you'll still need an expander.

Of course, then you get 16 outs, and I'm sure you could find a use for those other 7 smile Different clock divisions, for a start.
voyagergolden
os wrote:
An ES-3 won't sync the DAW to the rack. It will sync the rack to the DAW, and it will do so better than anything using MIDI (including the FH-2).

The FH-2 will sync in either direction.

I'm using modular in a studio setting and wanting to sync to DAW. I've been looking at the ES-8 (hard to find these days!). How does FH-2 compare for midi usb sync? I anticipate using it to playback midi files, as well as clock, gates, etc.

Thanks for humoring a noob!
os
In a studio situation I'd always suggest looking at the ES-3 first, if that works with your existing audio interface.
voyagergolden
os wrote:
In a studio situation I'd always suggest looking at the ES-3 first, if that works with your existing audio interface.

thumbs up Thank you sir.
Switchzik
I've watch this video and this is excatelly what I want to do with it (+ using a trackball mouse Mr. Green ).

But I've no experience with Midi and Midi MPE ...
Can someone tell how easy it is to do what the video shows ? Do I need to map things ? Is it somehow plug and play ? Do I always need to use the web-based configuration tool for each device ?

Thanks !
os
It's very simple.

For the Joué, you need to use its config tool to enable MPE (just a tick box).

For the FH-2, again you need to enable MPE, and choose what outputs you want per voice, and how many voices of polyphony you have. You can do that in the web tool, or on the module itself.
Switchzik
Hi OS, Thanks for your answer. Sounds pretty straight forward when you explain but when I got to the web interface, I get lost pretty easily.

Maybe a small video (like the great one for the disting) or some step by step screenshot would be really good for some novice like me. It can help to see the set up less complex as it seems at first, for some of us.
Devilwidget
This looks great, but one thing I can't figure out, is what do the X/Y inputs actually do? They are barely mentioned in the manual. Can they be set up to accept cv (for cv to midi conversion)? Or are they just analogue clock to MIDI? Or something else?
os
Currently X is clock, and Y is either reset or run/stop.

I'll add more functionality in future e.g. CV/MIDI, or CV control over tempo etc.
emojiseq
Any videos or explanation of how parameter assignment might work on a groovebox for example? Does it take long to assign an out to a specific param or is this pretty streamlined? Is that something you'd want to be doing on the web editor most of the time, or can you do that from the screen? Thanks, this looks great
os
It's 3 mouse clicks from the web UI. You can certainly do it from the screen too though.
2disbetter
Hey os, still looking like these will ship this month?

2d
os
I'm optimistic.

For those going to the Brighton meet, the Rubadub guys will have one to demo.
kamindustries
Pre-ordered this bad boy from Control, gonna go ahead and get an FHX-1 as well. Super pumped to upgrade from Yarns!
os
Switchzik wrote:
Hi OS, Thanks for your answer. Sounds pretty straight forward when you explain but when I got to the web interface, I get lost pretty easily.

Maybe a small video (like the great one for the disting) or some step by step screenshot would be really good for some novice like me. It can help to see the set up less complex as it seems at first, for some of us.

Here's one - more coming soon.

os
os
Switchzik
Hi Os, Many tanks for the videos, they're really helpful to get started SlayerBadger!
mattsb
I'm quite excited about this. USB device support means less wiring hassle, the onboard screen / menus mean I don't need to mess with my Digitakt to set it up as a controller, and it also means that it becomes a really useful standalone module in the rack when I don't want to use it for MIDI->CV. What would make that last use case a slam dunk is some kind of CV control over which preset is currently loaded, or, even better, some kind of "performance mode" where turning the encoder changes the preset.

Kinda like Tempi's knob which lets you rapidly switch between states.
_ttc_
Tap tempo question:

If I was using the FH-2 as the master clock (sending to both midi clock and analog clock devices), would there be a way to assign tap tempo to receive from a particular midi channel and midi note?

My thought here is with a midi drum pad, I could assign one pad to midi channel 16/C5 for example, and the FH-2 would look for that signal as a tap tempo signal and generate clock from it?

This might be a pretty idiosyncratic setup, but it would be huge for my band's performance plans smile
Sleipnir
os wrote:
Yes, if you want 9 signals out you'll still need an expander.

Of course, then you get 16 outs, and I'm sure you could find a use for those other 7 smile Different clock divisions, for a start.

When, oh when, will more FHX-1s be available in the US?
cry
Seaweed Sound
Could an FH-1 be plugged into an FH-2 and used as some kind of expander/daisy chain mode?

Just an idea since I'm sure a lot of people will want to upgrade and there's probably a lot of FH-1 floating around
os
Quote:
When, oh when, will more FHX-1s be available in the US?

They're in the factory right now.

Quote:
Could an FH-1 be plugged into an FH-2 and used as some kind of expander/daisy chain mode?

Actually that might work. Let me try it!
os
_ttc_ wrote:
Tap tempo question:

If I was using the FH-2 as the master clock (sending to both midi clock and analog clock devices), would there be a way to assign tap tempo to receive from a particular midi channel and midi note?

My thought here is with a midi drum pad, I could assign one pad to midi channel 16/C5 for example, and the FH-2 would look for that signal as a tap tempo signal and generate clock from it?

It doesn't do that right now, but it's a good idea. I'll bear it in mind.
os
Seaweed Sound wrote:

Just an idea since I'm sure a lot of people will want to upgrade and there's probably a lot of FH-1 floating around

It works. Will be releasing this as a firmware upgrade shortly.

Thanks for the suggestion!
Seaweed Sound
os wrote:

Ace! Thanks for implementing it Guinness ftw!
Funky40
os wrote:
Seaweed Sound wrote:

can you elaborate some more please ?

how´d you connect the FH-1 ?
it would work same like having two FHX ?
os
The two are connected via USB. The FH-1's outputs appear instead of the first FHX-1.

This does tie up the FH-2's USB C port, so it's not the solution if you want to use the FH-2 directly with a computer.
mOBiTh
os wrote:
The two are connected via USB. The FH-1's outputs appear instead of the first FHX-1.

This does tie up the FH-2's USB C port, so it's not the solution if you want to use the FH-2 directly with a computer.

Oh that's cool!

So in this case the FH-1's config is ignored and it is slaved off (i.e. configured by) the FH-2?
os
Yes.
os
Coming in the next update:

Andrew108
Any idea which European retailer will have these in stock first? I'd like to place a pre-order if possible. I plan to use this with my Digitakt. Looks very promising. I'm guessing August release date?
os
It's out now. I believe Schneiders had them in stock last time I looked.
kamindustries
Any idea when they're coming to the US? Specifically Control? Thanks!
Andrew108
os wrote:
It's out now. I believe Schneiders had them in stock last time I looked.

Wargh! Rock and roll. :-)
synthisland
That poly arp is exactly what i’ve been dreaming of... Thanks so much os! Absolutely cannot wait to make this the heart of my euro system. Being able to easily load configurations is going to be very much a game-changer for me.
Funky40
os wrote:

hehe, i thought the FH-1 has 16 outs. lol oops Cause i have one with a FHX. they look and feel like beeing one wink

Thanks
PopGoblin
I’m definately getting one of these. Midi AND silent way type calibration sounds great.

I am wondering though; wouldn’t it be great if you could do away with (at least one) ADSR pr cv? Instead of outputting just a gate, it seems it would be awesome to be able to output an envelope of sorts... or not?
os
It's something I might try.
boboter
os wrote:
It's something I might try.

Fantastic! Envelopes would be a great addition, specially for smaller setups.
os
In stock:
https://www.signalsounds.com/expert-sleepers-fh-2-factotum-eurorack-us b-midi-module
_ttc_
os wrote:
_ttc_ wrote:
Tap tempo question:

It doesn't do that right now, but it's a good idea. I'll bear it in mind.

I'd be so thrilled if this happens! Fingers crossed smile
drinkcorpsevomit
My beloved Cymru Beats has them in stock too. Just ordered one.

https://cymrubeats.com/product/expert-sleepers-fh-2/
kamindustries
My FH-2 just shipped from Control! Real excited. The product page still says it's on pre-order though.
Azarius
Same with my order from Perfect Circuit Audio (placed mid May). Got a shipping confirmation today! But still says “coming soon” on the site. Can’t wait to explore its capabilities... No doubt it will be another Os masterpiece!
matttech
In stock here too now thumbs up
_ttc_
Hey factotum friends,

I'm having a little trouble getting things up and running with my Yamaha DTX-M12 drum pad as the midi source. Looks like OS is on vacation atm, so thought I'd see if anyone here has any ideas.

Basically I'm not seeing any midi activity on the FH-2 from the DTX-M12. I've tried various different configurations, using both the USB and DIN outs of the DTX-12 to no avail - even though when I plug into the computer I can see a lot of action in MIDI Monitor.

When I plug my Arturia Beatstep Pro into the FH-2, I immediately see a flurry of activity. Not sure what to try next to get the DTX working...

If anyone has any ideas, I'd appreciate it!

Also, side note about the firmware update, this may be common knowledge, but it's not stated in the manual: the USB flash drive needs to be formatted in FAT in order to be readable by the FH-2.
Sleipnir
_ttc_ wrote:
.Basically I'm not seeing any midi activity on the FH-2 from the DTX-M12. I've tried various different configurations, using both the USB and DIN outs of the DTX-12 to no avail - even though when I plug into the computer I can see a lot of action in MIDI Monitor.

I’d verify the DTX is class compliant.
If you have to load a driver for it to work, then it isn’t.
(Had this same problem with the FH-1 and the v1 Korg minis)
_ttc_
Sleipnir wrote:
_ttc_ wrote:
.Basically I'm not seeing any midi activity on the FH-2 from the DTX-M12. I've tried various different configurations, using both the USB and DIN outs of the DTX-12 to no avail - even though when I plug into the computer I can see a lot of action in MIDI Monitor.

I’d verify the DTX is class compliant.
If you have to load a driver for it to work, then it isn’t.
(Had this same problem with the FH-1 and the v1 Korg minis)

Thanks so much - it seems the DTX is not class compliant as you suspected. I was using a Roland UM-One to try to get it working on the DIN connectors, there is a tab on that to switch between roland drivers and class compliant - once I flipped it to the class compliant mode, everything came to life.

Thanks a million:)
Yoyagi
+1 for envelopes. Would've been an absolutely fantastic addition to an already great module! :-)
thatguy
Great module! I've been trying to use my ipad to sequence and as master clock for my system and I have had issues using other midi -> cv modules with things going out of sync when clocking other modules (pams and tempi) from the midi clock. Often going out of sync with the sequencer after only a few minutes. but after a few days using the FH-2 I haven't had a single issue *knock on wood*. It's been rock solid even when, as a stress test, I tried to make it go out of sync on purpose by wildly changing the tempo.

I know its not going to be sample accurate as something like silent way, but as there isn't an ios version this has given me some hope where i had given up previously.
kamindustries
Finally got it set up with an expander to behave how I wanted and it's totally awesome. So far I just have one question I couldn't find an answer to in the manual, but I'm sure I'll have more later-

What does the 'T' mean after some of the clock divisions? What's the difference between '1/8' and '1/8 T' ? Thank you!
docsample
triplets
kamindustries
duh... thanks! d'oh!
tunnelsurf
fh-2

looks very nice . thumbs up
NewSynthOnTheBlock
os wrote:

Hi,

I am about to build my first modular System.
The studio use is my priority object.
My idea is to play the modul mono or polyphon via mdi (Keyboard or sequenced out of Ableton thorough my echo Audio 4 interface).

For this case it seems I need an ES-3 and a midi Extension.
But my Interface does only supports SPDIF. I do need ADAT for Es-3 right?
Maybe there is a SPDIF to ADAT converter, I dunno.

The FH-2 would cover my main needs too, I guess.

Is the main difference between FH-2 an the ES the possibilty to use Audio from my DAW to generate CV for LFO, EG and so on?

thx.

nanners
hydrophilos
If I have an FH-1, an FH-2 and an FX, is it possible to hook them all up together? Which one does the FX-1 go to or does it matter? and since I use the USB 3 input on the FH-2 for the FH-1, if its connected then how do you configure FH-2 at the same time?

Thanks!
Drakhe
hydrophilos wrote:
If I have an FH-1, an FH-2 and an FX, is it possible to hook them all up together? Which one does the FX-1 go to or does it matter? and since I use the USB 3 input on the FH-2 for the FH-1, if its connected then how do you configure FH-2 at the same time?

Thanks!

You can do all configuration on the FH-2 screen. The web-ui allows exactly the same configuration, just more convenient. So yeah, if you use the FH-1 as expander you'll need to config direct on the FH-2 screen.
neonmercury1
SO i just got the FH2 two days ago and have been slowly reading the manual and programming it to work with what i have on hand but when i use my digitakt as the master clock @ 130bpm the fh2 registers it as 127.4 ish does anyone know why this is?
thatguy
neonmercury1 wrote:
when i use my digitakt as the master clock @ 130bpm the fh2 registers it as 127.4 ish does anyone know why this is?

Mine does this as well, but in the past when I have synced gear from hardware midi to computer software for example I have noticed the same thing (the displayed clock values being inconsistent). From what I can gather midi is not the most stable way to keep time and there are various threads about the inconsistencies across platforms, some getting out of sync worse than others. Os and others have mentioned that midi is not the best if you need sample accurate timing, which is why the other audio based tools exist.

That said so far I haven't had any issues with the FH-2 when clocked from my ipad to my modular (see my post above) so I don't think it's something to worry too much about. my guess is the number is an estimated true calculation of the bpm based on the data timing... but I'm just pulling that out of my ass.
os
NewSynthOnTheBlock wrote:
I am about to build my first modular System.
The studio use is my priority object.
My idea is to play the modul mono or polyphon via mdi (Keyboard or sequenced out of Ableton thorough my echo Audio 4 interface).

For this case it seems I need an ES-3 and a midi Extension.
But my Interface does only supports SPDIF. I do need ADAT for Es-3 right?
Maybe there is a SPDIF to ADAT converter, I dunno.

The FH-2 would cover my main needs too, I guess.

Is the main difference between FH-2 an the ES the possibilty to use Audio from my DAW to generate CV for LFO, EG and so on?

You could look into an ES-40 (which connects via SPDIF). But an FH-2 would certainly be an option.

Yes to the last question - it's the difference in approach of using audio directly as CVs, or doing stuff in the traditional manner via MIDI.

neonmercury1 wrote:
SO i just got the FH2 two days ago and have been slowly reading the manual and programming it to work with what i have on hand but when i use my digitakt as the master clock @ 130bpm the fh2 registers it as 127.4 ish does anyone know why this is?

It's just the limitations of the measurement code - relating the incoming MIDI events to the passage of actual time. The important stuff - how the output voltages are generated from the MIDI - is separate.
lloydb
Hi OS,
How's the possibility of CV to CC/note conversion looking?
And if possible can we expect low latency?

I've purchased the ES-8 with intentions of use for CV input to TouchDesigner for visuals but latency is a lot higher than I expected. So a CV to MIDI conversion could be the solution.
os
It's still on the to-do list. Latency should be good but you'll only get 2 channels - if you want more, I'm about to release a General CV firmware update to enable its use as a generic CV to MIDI converter.

Re. the ES-8, what latency are you getting? Have you wound the buffer sizes right down?
2disbetter
Just pre-ordered the FH-2. I apologize if you already answered this, but are the scripts compatible between the FH-1 and 2?

2d
os
There are no scripts on the FH-2.
2disbetter
os wrote:
There are no scripts on the FH-2.
thumbs up
lloydb
os wrote:
It's still on the to-do list. Latency should be good but you'll only get 2 channels - if you want more, I'm about to release a General CV firmware update to enable its use as a generic CV to MIDI converter.

Re. the ES-8, what latency are you getting? Have you wound the buffer sizes right down?

Ok will be waiting for that FH-2 feature.

The ES-8 itself is tight for latency. Running Ableton with 32 samples buffer I'm getting a round trip of 2 samples.
I think the problem is more how TouchDesigner handles audio triggers compared to data triggers
2disbetter
Os, this might seem like a far out there question but I was wondering how port allocation is handled when both usb ports are plugged in.

Would it be possible to have certain ports reserved for host use, and some left for it as a client? Preferably in tandem. So I could have a midi controller plugged in using the first 20 ports, and then a digitakt/DAW, etc. using the 12 remaining ports (assuming three FHX expanders) at the same time?
os
By 'port', do you mean the module outputs?

If so, there is no problem. The configuration controls how the outputs are driven from MIDI. Whether that MIDI comes from the host or device USB ports (or indeed, the DIN socket) makes no difference.
2disbetter
os wrote:
By 'port', do you mean the module outputs?

If so, there is no problem. The configuration controls how the outputs are driven from MIDI. Whether that MIDI comes from the host or device USB ports (or indeed, the DIN socket) makes no difference.

So both USB ports can be used at the same time and outputs (ports) are just configured to listen to specific midi cc's/channels?

That's just fantastic!
os
Yes.
Funky40
interesting ! good to know

thumbs up

also waiting for my FH-2.
hope i can gel with the FH-2 setup procedures. couldn´t with the FH-1 so it was allways just a drumtrigger unit to me
2disbetter
Funky40 wrote:
interesting ! good to know

thumbs up

I love how nonchalant Os is. This is actually just a huge thing that just makes the FH line just even more powerful, and it was already super powerful.

Can't wait to get the FH-2!
NewSynthOnTheBlock
[/quote]
You could look into an ES-40 (which connects via SPDIF). But an FH-2 would certainly be an option.

Yes to the last question - it's the difference in approach of using audio directly as CVs, or doing stuff in the ...

Thanks alot thumbs up
os
Just released v1.2 firmware.

joskery
Uhm... Could the FH-2 be used as a USB MIDI to DIN MIDI Converter?
os
Not currently, though it could be added. Not sure why you'd want that in a Eurorack module though. You can buy a cable that does it for like $20.
joskery
Yes, not very central to the module, agreed smile Was just wondering. Thanks for the info!

EDIT: well, actually MIDI host interfaces are 100+ euros. So there’s that smile
mrerdat
Great module. I've been using this with an 8 channel gate sequencer I made in Max/MSP and it's been working wonderfully with the FH-2.
Seaweed Sound
Yeah awesome module.. like how easy it is to update the firmware too - no fuss
DMR
os wrote:
Not currently, though it could be added. Not sure why you'd want that in a Eurorack module though. You can buy a cable that does it for like $20.

I was going to ask a similar question - does the FH-2 echo the data on the USB host port to the DIN midi output? For example, can the FH-2 connect to a Roli Seaboard on the USB host port, and echo that information to the DIN MIDI output to interact with a hardware synth. Stand-alone USB host devices are $50 - $100, and often aren't very configurable. Since devices like the Seaboard only have USB MIDI you would otherwise need a computer as an intermediary to control a hardware synth.
os
It doesn't do that currently, though as I say it certainly could, if that's a genuinely useful feature.
Funky40
DMR wrote:
- does the FH-2 echo the data on the USB host port to the DIN midi output? .

os wrote:
It doesn't do that currently, though as I say it certainly could, if that's a genuinely useful feature.

+1 from me for a Midi thru functionality ! ( still waiting for my FH-2 delivery)
one possible scenario: send same midi that goes to modular to another synth or another (midi) FX box running in series or parallel. Mixed modular/stompbox FX setup for example ( same with synths).
.......could/would save another box and more cable mess on the table ? not that unimportant as some might think wink

would be VERY welcome !
2disbetter
Os, Do you know if something like a bluetooth USB adapter could work with the FH-2?

You'd have to pick one, and allow it to be configured within the interface / web portal, but then the FH-2 could work with Bluetooth USB Midi.

Not like a super serious thing, but one that would be pretty awesome, and would allow for a decrease in the potential power draw of the FH-2 and one less cable in the mix.
os
This works:

2disbetter
Seriously great. Could you maybe recommend an bluetooth dongle to get?
os
The only one I've tried is the one in that video.
2disbetter
And done. Thanks!
g3nology
@os:

Question:

I'm using an MPC Live and want to get a midi-to-cv brain for my euro rig. One thing I'm trying to sort out (in my mind) is if it's possible to send velocity data such as '16 levels' (multi velocity function) from the MPC through something like the FH2 that then sends the corresponding velocity data to a drum module (say a 909 kick module). So for example, if the 909 kick was a sample, and I had it loaded internally on the MPC, when I hit the 16-level velocity button it will spread the velocity from 0-127 across 16 pads. I want to know if I can load a midi track, hit the 16-level button, and then hit the pads which will send multi-velocity data from the MPC through the FH2 to the 909 module resulting in the 909 kick module triggering at the corresponding velocities of the pads pressed. I hope that makes sense!

As a side, I assume if it can do the above using the 16-tunings function (spreads the sound across 16 pads chromatically) would work the same except it's now sending pitch data instead of velocity data, correct?

If the above is possible I imagine the setup is just sending a channel of cv and a channel of gate data to whatever module I wish to target?

Thanks in advance!
manglepup
g3nology wrote:
@os:

Question:

I'm using an MPC Live and want to get a midi-to-cv brain for my euro rig. One thing I'm trying to sort out (in my mind) is if it's possible to send velocity data such as '16 levels' (multi velocity function) from the MPC through something like the FH2 that then sends the corresponding velocity data to a drum module (say a 909 kick module). So for example, if the 909 kick was a sample, and I had it loaded internally on the MPC, when I hit the 16-level velocity button it will spread the velocity from 0-127 across 16 pads. I want to know if I can load a midi track, hit the 16-level button, and then hit the pads which will send multi-velocity data from the MPC through the FH2 to the 909 module resulting in the 909 kick module triggering at the corresponding velocities of the pads pressed. I hope that makes sense!

As a side, I assume if it can do the above using the 16-tunings function (spreads the sound across 16 pads chromatically) would work the same except it's now sending pitch data instead of velocity data, correct?

If the above is possible I imagine the setup is just sending a channel of cv and a channel of gate data to whatever module I wish to target?

Thanks in advance!

I believe this would work, as I send velocity via midi to my eurorack with my MPC live, I just have it going into a intellijel 1u midi module which has a velocity output jack. Velocity sticks to the value of the last midi note you hit though, so if you don't want to trigger new notes you'd have to hit blank pads I believe
os
The FH-2 supports 'velocity gates', which is a gate (or trigger) signal, the level of which is controlled by the velocity. That might be of use.
boboter
Would the FH-1 expander mode also work with a second FH-2?

Let's say you have two separate systems that are each controlled with a FH-2. But you could also combine them so both systems can share the same midi devices.

Just to clarify, I don't have two FH-2s, just thinking out loud here.
os
Yes, if you set up the second FH-2's configuration to mimic an FH-1.
bobbcorr
I've currently got an AD ODIO, a much more constrained module (also, unsupported) that allows me to feed signals to an iPad and receive signals back, so I can pass it audio, run it through iPad effects then hand it back. I can also pass audio from the iPad to it and from there to my rack.

Is the FH-2 essentially the same thing but *more*? Thanks for humoring my n00b question.
os
No, the ES-8 is the same thing but (much) more.

The FH-2 is all about MIDI, not audio.
eltnet
Hi, it seems impossible to use arpeggiator with envelope.
Did I miss something?
Thx.
os
No, you're quite right. Easily fixed. I'll do that soon.
os
eltnet wrote:
Hi, it seems impossible to use arpeggiator with envelope.

Fixed this in v1.3, which I just released.

Also added support for the forthcoming FHX-8GT.

http://expert-sleepers.co.uk/fhx8gt.html
os
Funky40 wrote:
DMR wrote:
- does the FH-2 echo the data on the USB host port to the DIN midi output? .

os wrote:

+1 from me for a Midi thru functionality ! ( still waiting for my FH-2 delivery)
one possible scenario: send same midi that goes to modular to another synth or another (midi) FX box running in series or parallel. Mixed modular/stompbox FX setup for example ( same with synths).
.......could/would save another box and more cable mess on the table ? not that unimportant as some might think wink

would be VERY welcome !

This is also added in v1.3.
Funky40
wow, supercool

os wrote:

FHX-8GT.

ohhh
Funky40
Quote:
The FHX-8GT is an expansion module for the FH-2 'factotum' Eurorack module, providing 8 extra clock/gate/trigger outputs.

Os, can the FHX-8GT also send out start / stop / reset triggers ?
if not yet, is it planned or at least doable ?
edit: http://www.expert-sleepers.co.uk/fhx8gt.html

As a sidenote on trigger lenghts in regards to sequenzers:
i see many manufacturers going for 10ms triggers, ....with the short option beeing more like 1ms or 2ms.

i had a big setup years back, incorporating many formats and manufacturers and have had ALOTS of problems with start and sync triggers.
i spent alots of time debugging this and ended up using 4ms long triggers only.
it was the best ( and IIRC also the shortest possible ) solution for many modules.

Hope you have or add 4ms triggers as a option
( sorry, i have no oversight which modules do what in this regards )
os
The FHX-8GT can send anything clock-related that the FH-2's own outputs can - so yes.
joskery
Wow, both FHX-8GT and the 1.3 are great news! So happy about the USB->DIN MIDI functionality, thank you.

Are the DIN MIDI modules coming to stores, any timeline in mind?
os
They've been out for a while - which stores in particular were you looking at?
autopoiesis
Just wondering, does the envelope time range setting have any effect on the "curve" of the envelope (e.g., shorter settings being more exponential, longer more linear)? If not, is there a curve parameter on the roadmap for the envelopes?
kamindustries
I'm loving the FH-2. It's so powerful and easy to use, and has opened up my system to other controllers quite a bit. A couple of questions, apologies if this has been covered before:

1. I pretty much use the same configuration and preset every time. Is it possible to make a config and/or a preset auto load on startup, i.e. define a "default" config/preset?

2. Is there a better way of sending LFO's from my Digitakt to the FHX-1 other than assigning each channel's LFO to pitch bend and having the expander receive pitch values?
os
autopoiesis wrote:
Just wondering, does the envelope time range setting have any effect on the "curve" of the envelope (e.g., shorter settings being more exponential, longer more linear)? If not, is there a curve parameter on the roadmap for the envelopes?

No curve control at the moment. I could add one, certainly.

Quote:
I pretty much use the same configuration and preset every time. Is it possible to make a config and/or a preset auto load on startup, i.e. define a "default" config/preset?

Yes, as described in the manual.

Quote:
Is there a better way of sending LFO's from my Digitakt to the FHX-1 other than assigning each channel's LFO to pitch bend and having the expander receive pitch values?

That's one way, and not a bad one, since it uses a 14 bit value. The alternative would be to send a CC mapped to 'Direct Control'.
joskery
os wrote:
They've been out for a while - which stores in particular were you looking at?

Looking at Wigglehunt.com, I couldn't find any in stock in Europe. Thonk has the kits, but I'm a clueless solderer.
os
I wasn't aware of wigglehunt!

But it turned up this without too much looking: https://www.signalsounds.com/expert-sleepers-disting-eurorack-midi-bre akout-module
joskery
Damn it, I’m a search failure. Thank you for the help.
kamindustries
os wrote:

Quote:

I pretty much use the same configuration and preset every time. Is it possible to make a config and/or a preset auto load on startup, i.e. define a "default" config/preset?

Yes, as described in the manual.

D'oh, just found it. "Startup preset" and "Startup configuration" in the settings page for anyone curious.

os wrote:

Quote:
Is there a better way of sending LFO's from my Digitakt to the FHX-1 other than assigning each channel's LFO to pitch bend and having the expander receive pitch values?

That's one way, and not a bad one, since it uses a 14 bit value. The alternative would be to send a CC mapped to 'Direct Control'.

Direct Control in that sense would only be 7 bit, i.e. 128 possible values right? I'll have to see how it sounds with smoothing. Not sure how to set up the 14 bit LSB/MSB stuff with digitakt such that one CC would control both of them, and the LFO would drive that one CC. I'd guess it's not possible.
autopoiesis
os wrote:
autopoiesis wrote:

No curve control at the moment. I could add one, certainly.

That would be great! Would definitely make the envelopes more widely usable and make a huge difference for small systems.
ix
call me an idiot ( smile) ) but how does this get around usb midi / clock jitter ? i thought you needed to use audio signals and clock to those to get hald decent tight clocking and do that with specific software in a daw tied to hardware ? just a little concerned about clock jitter here
os
It doesn't get around USB MIDI/clock jitter. It embraces MIDI as a convenient way of connecting devices, especially in a DAWless environment (where there are no digital audio signals to sync to anyway).
DJMaytag
Dumb question, but I don't know much about the FH-1...

Is the FH-2 just an improved FH-1? I see the stand along functionality of what Silent Way can do with oscillator calibration, which would be HIGHLY useful in a DAWless environment. Just trying to wrap my head around what else this thing can do without a computer. Should I spend a bit of time looking at the FH-1 and then look at the added features in the 2?
os
The FH-2 is a *much* improved FH-1. More of a ground-up re-imagining of the product really. I would strongly recommend the FH-2 over the FH-1.
DJMaytag
os wrote:
The FH-2 is a *much* improved FH-1. More of a ground-up re-imagining of the product really. I would strongly recommend the FH-2 over the FH-1.

Obviously, but would watching videos/tutorials on the FH-1 help understand what the FH-2 can do?

Is this FH-2 class compliant? Just curious about the hooking up of this, if it would work via USB connected to an iConnectivity Mio4 MIDI interface? Using the Mio4 DAW-lessly as sort of a MIDI patchbay/thru/merge device with my MIDI synths & controllers.
DJMaytag
I see an iConnectivity device in your Superbooth video. What role was that playing in the vid?
os
Quote:
would watching videos/tutorials on the FH-1 help understand what the FH-2 can do?

Yes, to some extent.

Quote:
Is this FH-2 class compliant?

Yes.

Quote:
I see an iConnectivity device in your Superbooth video. What role was that playing in the vid?

Which video specifically?
Ptbarnum
sorry if this is an obvious one, but I'm trying to setup the fh2 and fhx1 to take 8 pairs of midi cv/gate from a Squarp pyramid on usb channels 1-8, here's a screenshot of my attempt on the configurator..what am I messing up?
thanks!
os
You want something like this:
Ptbarnum
Thanks! I’ll give it a shot.
Ptbarnum
os wrote:
You want something like this:

ok, now everything's being triggered by the right signals, but channels 1-4 are transposed multiple octaves up. sorry, I copied your settings exactly, any idea what could be happening here?
thanks again!
os
You probably want to adjust the output range settings.
Ptbarnum
Thanks again, clearly I need to read the manual more carefully d'oh!
ketem13
is it possible with the fh2 module to send cv from a scl files of different tuning scale to the 1v/oct of an vco module ?

thanks
Sleipnir
Wondering if any FH-2s are slated for Analog Haven?
Had a preorder since pre-launch cry
os
Quote:
is it possible with the fh2 module to send cv from a scl files of different tuning scale to the 1v/oct of an vco module ?

Scala is not currently implemented in the FH-2, but it's something I intend to add.

Quote:
Wondering if any FH-2s are slated for Analog Haven?

We should be caught up on backorders in a week or two.
ketem13
[quote="os"]
Quote:

Scala is not currently implemented in the FH-2, but it's something I intend to add.

Thanks.
Any other modules who can do that and perhaps also connecting with max msp ? (sending cv and/or accepting cv )
pinhole_sunrise
Update: received a replacement from the retailer I purchased this from. Turned out to be a hardware issue.

I just received my FH-2 and it’s screen looks corrupted. There are many vertical lines to the point I can’t read the screen properly at most times.
I just updated the firmware thinking it would solve the problem but unfortunately it did not.

os
ketem13 wrote:
Any other modules who can do that and perhaps also connecting with max msp ? (sending cv and/or accepting cv )

The disting mk4 deals in Scala files. Also the Silent Way plug-ins use Scala, and then you can get CVs out via the ES-3 or ES-8 (which also play very nicely with max/msp).

@pinhole_sunrise I believe you emailed me also?
rileyrobot
Is it possible to use the Touché SE with the FH-2 directly without needing to route through a computer? And if so, is there a way to edit the parameters of outgoing CV data from the FH-2 directly on the module?

Sorry for the newb questions.
ronin1973
Is there any recommended way to edit the FH-2 via the web browser utility while connected to a DAW? I'm running Ableton Live on a PC. The web interface is kind of clunky to use at this point as well. Are there any plans for a redesign?
os
Quote:
Is it possible to use the Touché SE with the FH-2 directly without needing to route through a computer?

Yes:

Quote:
And if so, is there a way to edit the parameters of outgoing CV data from the FH-2 directly on the module?

What parameters would those be, specifically?

Quote:
Is there any recommended way to edit the FH-2 via the web browser utility while connected to a DAW?

You say that like it doesn't work. What's stopping you just running the browser alongside the DAW and both speaking to the FH-2?
rileyrobot
os wrote:

What parameters would those be, specifically?

No, sorry, yeah you answered all my questions. I forgot you can adjust the sensitivity of the Touché directly on the unit.

I was also wondering if the USB dongle for the Alesis Vortex Wireless 2 keytar would be compatible with the FH-2?
os
Probably. I've had similar things working.
rileyrobot
Thanks for responding so quickly! And thanks for your patience, I really appreciate it.

One last question:

What exactly are the differences between the FHX-1 and the FHX-8GT expansion modules?

Are there things that one can do that the other cannot?

Thanks again!
os
FHX-1 does CVs. The FHX-8GT only does gates/clocks/triggers.
joskery
Would it be, or is it already possible to limit the possible rates available to euclidian patterns, when tweaking the rate using an external controller? An option to just select something like 1/8,1/16,1/32,1/64 would be nice.

EDIT: 'Constrain rates' in the manual d'oh!
autopoiesis
Do the Euclidean patterns interact with Note On events at all, or do they switch on regardless of Note Ons as long as the fill parameter is >0? IIRC on Yarns they have an AND-gated relationship with Note Ons (like an arp pattern, or a "Euclidean mask" over pre-existing gate events) which I found helpful for integrating more closely into sequences and live playing.
joskery
If I understand you right, you can ’stack’ assignments. Ie. I have midi controller pads set to output on the same gate outputs as the euclidian patterns.
autopoiesis
@joskery, that's more like a logical OR relationship between your MIDI controller pads and the Euclidean patterns.

What you're describing sounds like (where x is gate high, o is gate low):

Euclidean pattern: xooo xooo xooo
+ your controller: ooox oooo oooo
= xoox xooo xooo

(you just add a gate on the 4th step to the Euclidean pattern)

What I'm wondering is if it's possible to have something like this, where the FH-2 will only let Euclidean gates "pass through" while Note Ons are happening. For example:

+ your controller: oooo oooo xxxx
= oooo oooo xooo

or

+ your controller: xxxx xxxx oooo
= xooo xooo oooo

This is how it works on Yarns and it's nice because you can always latch a note to keep the Euclidean pattern going, but you can also "mute" it on certain steps (without having to step-sequence the fill parameter) by omitting a Note On on those steps.
joskery
Oh, right! Don’t know about that, sry.
os
The FH-2 doesn't offer that feature currently.
autopoiesis
I see, thanks os
moegl
Is it possible to have both a Roli Block and another midi controller attached at the same time? say, to control the ADSR-envelope that is integrated.
os
Yes, via a USB hub.
missingtwin
Sorry if this is a silly question...
Just sorting this out.

The es3 is all about sending dc coupled
signals from the computer via lightpipe
directly to the modular via silent way, etc.

The fh2 is all about midi, it will send/receive
all flavors of midi, act as a midi host/device
but it would not be able to run silent way (for example).

Is this correct?
Thanks Os!
os
Correct.
missingtwin
Thanks OS.
I have the Es3

Just making sure I needed both!
Rockin' Banana!
Neither
Just wondering... Do I need https://www.modulargrid.net/e/expert-sleepers-select-bus-breakout in addition to FH-2 if I'm intending of using Maschine Studio as in this https://www.voltagecontrollab.com/2016/02/23/modular-beats-with-maschi ne-yarns/
os
It would be this:
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/expert-sleepers-midi-breakout

unless you can use the Maschine's USB port?
rileyrobot
How can I get the web-based Configuration Tool to recognize the USB-C connection to the FH-2?
os
It should "just work" if you plug a USB cable from your computer to the FH-2.

The FH-2 itself will show a 'C' in the UI to indicate a connection.
mdoudoroff
For some reason, the USB-C-to-USB-A cable I’ve got only works with the C end oriented one way, and not the other. Go figure. That might help rileyrobot or not.
rileyrobot
mdoudoroff wrote:
For some reason, the USB-C-to-USB-A cable I’ve got only works with the C end oriented one way, and not the other. Go figure. That might help rileyrobot or not.

Yeah, I did notice that too. Weird
Sebdaflou
Hi,
I can't figure out how to configure it with ableton to sequence 2 or more mono midi channels.

I did the configuration by the web tool.

In Ableton when i change the midi channel out (1>2 or 3), it only goes out by the 1 and 2 outputs of the FH-2.

(And I can't create a topic unfortunatly)
os
You would want to enable two MIDI/CV converters, give them different MIDI channels and different base outputs, like this:
Sebdaflou
Hi Os,

thanks for your fast reply, it works !

So the numbers of the first column don't relate to outputs. It's the base outputs, i guess...

Then, another question : The module Maths wich receiving the gate in the trig input, doubles the trig, even when i change the output range or change to "trig" in the webtool.

The calibration tool is showing a strange screen too, like a crash screen.

(Sorry for my english, i'm french smile )

i just bought this second hand FH-2 and i'll surely have a few questions
os
Quote:
So the numbers of the first column don't relate to outputs. It's the base outputs, i guess...

No, it's the number of the MIDI/CV converter.

Quote:
The module Maths wich receiving the gate in the trig input, doubles the trig

This is discussed here:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2909143#2909143

Quote:
The calibration tool is showing a strange screen too, like a crash screen.

Could you post a picture?
Sebdaflou
Hi,

Thanks for the answers !

I tried the auto-calibration and it seems to work now !

Do the calibration start from C0 = 0V ?
os
It starts from the bottom of the range, so either 0V or -5V depending which output range you have selected.
Funky40
i have a FH-2 on preorder since months !
but nothing in sight wink
when do they ship to swiss ( loops&bits)......or to gear4music ?
os
I'm expecting them to start leaving the factory next week.

While I'm here - not sure this made it onto Muffs yet:

BobbyFogtop
Cool video, Os.
You've piqued my imagination..

I love the idea of making the FH-2 an even more flexible platform with some sort of shell, and command set. This is a duplicate of a comment I made to the video - I imagine this is a more appropriate place?

It would be cool to have access to a filesystem on the SD card to redirect input and output for shell commands.

One application I have in mind is for diagnostic purposes. For example. I've been trying to figure out whether some unexpected behavior is a fault in my Roli Rise 49, or the FH-2, or just my own understanding. The Midi messages on the FH-2 screen go by way too fast. If I could have a shell script that resulted in some data stored in a file it might help me figure out what's going on.

A totally different idea: playing back midi sequences from a file. Or recording midi inputs to a file for later playback.

# tee midi_in > filename
# play -loop < midi_file
# record > new_midi_file

As if you haven't done enough already....
os
Thanks for the feedback.

There's no SD card - you mean USB drive I guess.

For debugging stuff it's probably easier to get the FH-2 to forward the MIDI to another MIDI port, connect that to a computer and use a MIDI logging app on the computer.
BobbyFogtop
os wrote:
Thanks for the feedback.

There's no SD card - you mean USB drive I guess.

For debugging stuff it's probably easier to get the FH-2 to forward the MIDI to another MIDI port, connect that to a computer and use a MIDI logging app on the computer.

d'oh! Perils of spouting off while being nowhere near my rig, and letting enthusiasm get the better of me. I appreciate your patience. And yet, here I go again: Yes, perhaps a USB drive. Or maybe somehow using your web interface? Guessing Chrome might have some security objections to that.... Maybe cut and paste from the web output window?

Anyway... On with your creating. It's much appreciated.
toneburst
I think it needs to support Bash wink
Or some kind of subset of Python, more realistically.

I doubt it's ever going to be anything more than a gimmick, on a screen that tiny.

I'm sure you could have a good stab at something like the Teletype, with a bigger screen, though, @os, if you put your mind to it (and I'd probably buy it, if you did wink ).
toneburst
@BobbyFogtop ES Disting Mk3/4 and General CV modules both have MIDI file playback from SD card, incidentally (and are great modules!).
BobbyFogtop
toneburst wrote:
@BobbyFogtop ES Disting Mk3/4 and General CV modules both have MIDI file playback from SD card, incidentally (and are great modules!).

Thanks! I do have two Distings (and considering more - the wavetable modes in particular are pretty good with an MPE controller like the Roli). I was just musing here, since I'm into the Fader Host regime with an FH-2 and FHX-1 so far, and an FHX-8GT on pre-order. I don't see canned sequences being a focus for me, but since Os doesn't seem to be afraid of competing with himself, giving his modules so many capabilities when software mods can take advantage of his hardware, just thought I'd mention it.

Now I am wondering just how far he can go using WebMidi to overcome the limitations of the small screen. Not that I want to have a computer permanently attached!! Not what most of us want from modular. Leaving a USB stick like a Sandisk Ultra Fit attached, on the other hand.... I could live with that, assuming there is a suitable USB C adapter. Writing without thinking things all the way through again, perhaps.
Sleipnir
Re: command shell usefulness
How much access does the shell have to the hardware/presets?
Maybe it could be used to setup if/then type of things where
if (some midi signal/event)
set preset=2
fi

kind of thing. Having the ability to totally change the config from a controller, or even a sequence.
Just musing. hmmm.....
hermbot
Did anything come from conversations with Teenage Engineering and integration with the OP-1?
rileyrobot
I am trying to get the FH-2 to play nice with my Linnstrument

I tried using the Configuration Tool

I set up one CV/MIDI converter to have four voices including Pitch, Gate, Trigger, and Aftertouch but the outputs aren’t reacting the way I expected them to.

I have an FHX-Expander module connected to the FH-2 and I am trying to get four outputs for each voice: So outputs 1, 2, 3, & 4 would be devoted to the first voice, outputs 5, 6, 7, & 8 would be for the second voice and then the same on the expander for the third and fourth voices, with the outputs sending Pitch, Gate, Velocity, and Aftertouch respectively.

How do I achieve this?

I feel like I’m pretty close to figuring it out, but maybe I’m missing something?

Thanks again for your input, this forum has been really helpful.
rileyrobot
I’m not sure what configuration settings to use on the Configuration Tool to get the Touché SE controls mapped to the FH-2 outputs.

I was also interested in plugging a USB hub into the FH-2 and then plugging a Touché SE & a Linnstrument into the hub and was wondering what configuration settings I’d use to get the FH-2 to recognize both devices simultaneously.

Thanks again!
Sleipnir
rileyrobot wrote:
I am trying to get the FH-2 to play nice with my Linnstrument
I tried using the Configuration Tool
I set up one CV/MIDI converter to have four voices including Pitch, Gate, Trigger, and Aftertouch but the outputs aren’t reacting the way I expected them to.

How exactly are they reacting? More detail helps. Mr. Green

I don't know if it applies to the FH-2 (still waiting for mine waah ), but there is a special mode on the FH-1 that senses a Linnstrument and changes some settings. At least for me, when I updated my Linnstrument firmware to <v2.10, I had to disable that special mode for it to function correctly (missed/stuck notes).
os
There are no special modes on the FH-2 for particular devices.

If multiple devices are connected via a hub, nothing special needs to be done. The MIDI from all of them is merged and used together.

If you have an almost-working configuration, a screenshot or sysex dump (as binary) would be easier to debug.
autopoiesis
os wrote:
I'm expecting them to start leaving the factory next week.

While I'm here - not sure this made it onto Muffs yet:

some pipe dream ideas for this:

- an API exposing all the parameters that are under MIDI control
- voltage levels of the X & Y inputs and the MCVs (MIDI converter outputs), as well as midi CCs as global variables
- ability to save to memory custom functions, as well as conditional statements that could call them (e.g., if X > 4 then methodA(), or if MCV > 2 then methodB())

this would take us into teletype territory and allow us to effectively modify the firmware to our liking without open sourcing the entire project. would be a sensible interface for integrating Scala scales too. I'd love to see a community of code sharing open up around faderhost!

and, plus for you, this way we could implement the features we want ourselves smile with a comprehensive enough API, it would be easy to, for example, add a function that takes a CC as an argument for adjusting the curve of an envelope.
BobbyFogtop
I'm also having a little trouble configuring the FH-2 to work with an MPE device the way I had hoped.I have a Roli Rise 49, an FH-2 and an FHX-1. They're all brand new to me, only had them a couple of weeks. (An FHX-8GT is arriving in the next day or two, so things are about to get even more complicated.) I've been working from the manuals, and I've watched all the videos I could find, paying special attention to the "Expert Sleepers FH-2 - basic MPE setup" where Os is configuring things for the Joue. When I basically duplicate the Joue setup in the video, ignoring the FHX-1, things mostly work: there are occasional stuck notes, some notes cut off before I release them, once in a while I have to resort to repowering the Roli, the FH-2 or both; but for the most part I can control 2 Distings in one of the wavetable modes and get different pitches, gates and response to change in the Y axis. When I attempt to add the FHX-1 - to get a total of 4 voices with pitch, gate, aftertouch and Y axis - I don't have much luck. Here is a screenshot of the web config tool with the settings I am trying to use:

I assumed I would get pitch, from -5v to 5v, out of the 1st and 5th outputs counting from the top of the FHX-1, gates from outputs 2 and 6, etc. That doesn't seem to happen. I don't get pitch and the gate outputs appear to be putting out -5v , at 'rest', which looks like it goes to 0v when the corresponding note is held down on the Roli... I think... And I seem to get even more stuck notes, glitches, etc. on the two working channels. The jumper on the FHX-1 is in the out-of-the-box position, engaged over the 3rd pair of pins.

This Roli works well in a different setup controlling Equator, so I don't think it's a problem with the keyboard. I wondered if the Roli was getting enough power over the USB connection to the FH-2, so I plugged it into a wall wart adapter. That hasn't improved things.

Roli has a support page discussing connection to an FH-1 which only served to confuse me further.
https://rolisupport.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/360000191 37-expert-sleepers-using-the-seaboard-rise-grand-with-the-expert-sleep ers-fh-1
It says to turn MPE OFF and set the midi start and end channels to 9.... I haven't tried this yet.

This is how the Roli is set up at the moment:

Anything obviously wrong about what I am doing? If necessary I will try to make, in the next few days, a video of what I am experiencing.
mdoudoroff
FWIW, BobbyFogtop, your config looks pretty identical to mine—I’m using a Seaboard Block in both 1 voice and 2 voice, and it works. I don’t have the expander, though. Sounds like we’re having the same experience with the FH-2 alone. Hopefully OS will chime in soon with the missing detail for the expander.

Aside: On the Roli Dashboard, I have found that I need to adjust the Pressure Sensitivity curve significantly to get a reasonable response without having to press crazy hard, and I’ve had to slew the pressure CV because it jumps around like crazy and introduces a lot of audible discontinuities (depending on how you patch it).
os
If anyone has the following available:

- FH-2
- MIDI breakout
- Octatrack

please would you let me know? Thanks.
rileyrobot
My config for the Linnstrument looks like this

BobbyFogtop
rileyrobot wrote:
My config for the Linnstrument looks like this

I'm having problems of my own, so I am obviously no expert, but I notice in your screen grab that you don't have "Send to MIDI port" or "Listen on MIDI port" set to the FH-2. If you push the "Send Msg" button, does anything appear on the FH-2 screen? If not, you may not actually be sending that configuration when push the Send to FH-2 button.
rileyrobot
I got it! It’s working now!

10/10

w00t
ronin1973
I was sweeping some MIDI CC into the FH2 to control the full range of a filter. I noticed some grunge during every sweep... probably the quantizing of the MIDI CC (128 segments).

My next thought was to try this again with a slew limiter to mitigate the sudden jumps in CV voltage. We'll see how it goes.

If this is a solution to minimize the quantizing then perhaps having an option for built in slew limiting might be appropriate. I'm not sure what the overhead and latency factor would be running up to 8 digital slew limiters might be... but if it gets rid of the dirt between CV changes... I'm all for it.
autopoiesis
check the manual on the "smoothing" parameter. the FH1 and FH2 and their expanders have CC-controllable slew limiters on every output, one of my favorite things about this midi/cv converter line
os
What he said. Also, if possible, use 14 bit CCs.
BobbyFogtop
Has anyone else had this happen yet?

Frustrated by multiple issues: MIDI buffer overruns, slow response or hangs while using configuration tool.... Maybe I just have a lemon. Should return it, but the vendor has none to replace it with at the moment.
os
The plastic window can be fixed back onto the panel with a tiny spot of glue.

You should never see a MIDI buffer overrun. If you can let me know the circumstances I can try to fix it.

By which I mean it's a firmware thing. Swapping the module won't change that.
BobbyFogtop
os wrote:
The plastic window can be fixed back onto the panel with a tiny spot of glue.

You should never see a MIDI buffer overrun. If you can let me know the circumstances I can try to fix it.

By which I mean it's a firmware thing. Swapping the module won't change that.

Yeah, I could add some glue, but I was afraid of voiding a warranty, or something, when I've been experiencing other problems and afraid I might have to send it back for that reason.

I wish I could be more helpful about those problems, but I find myself with limited time at home to debug them. The buffer overruns (I may be misremembering the exact message that appears on the FH-2 screen, I'm not in front of my rig right now) seem to happen when I am doing either a "Send to FH-2" or "Upload from FH-2" in the FH-2 Configuration Tool running in a Chrome browser on a Windows 10 laptop. Upload from FH-2 seems like it doesn't work most of the time. I test it by changing something using the menus on the unit and seeing if it's reflected in the browser. When it works, it seems to take a long time.
"Send Msg" almost always works. "Request FH-2 Version" usually works. I think I've noticed that after that MIDI buffer message appears I have to press the button (not the encoder) on the FH-2 before I can talk to it again. Sometimes I have to reboot using the Misc menu. Rarely I need to re-power. An idle Roli Seaboard 49 is usually hooked up to USB A when I am using the FH-2, but I have tried it with a Keystep also.

If you have any suggestions for diagnostics I can run, let me know. Right now it's hooked up to both an FHX-1 and an FHX-8GT. Running the test output routine under the misc menu makes the LEDs cycle in a satisfying way, but beyond that... Haven't even got around to trying any of the arpeggiation or euclidean stuff.

I'm a scientific programmer who works with hardware (and sometimes testy users) in my day job, so I know how frustrating these intermittent, not easily reproduced, and poorly described problems can be, and I apologize for that. I hope I can get some time to shoot some video and maybe catch some of this stuff happening, but I think my return window is closing.

Thanks for listening.
os
Sounds like something fishy in the USB connection to the PC. Or in Windows. I do most of my development on Mac, and haven't experienced any lag or intermittency problems with Chrome.

Is all the software up to date?

Is the FH-2 connected directly to the PC, or via a hub or something?
BobbyFogtop
os wrote:
Sounds like something fishy in the USB connection to the PC. Or in Windows. I do most of my development on Mac, and haven't experienced any lag or intermittency problems with Chrome.

Is all the software up to date?

Is the FH-2 connected directly to the PC, or via a hub or something?

Everything is up to date. No hub. I will try a different cable... don't think I've done that yet.

Thanks
blackdown
os wrote:
If anyone has the following available:

- FH-2
- MIDI breakout
- Octatrack

please would you let me know? Thanks.

this is the setup im aiming for! so far only have the midi breakout help
os
Just dropped firmware v1.4.

This adds a number of new features, including Scala microtuning support and operation with USB gamepads; it also includes some important bug fixes, notably when being driven from Elektron boxes e.g. the Octatrack.
boboter
Awesome! Thank you so much for the great work.
autopoiesis
we're not worthy

Just wondering, does the per-converter Transpose apply the transposition before, or after, quantization of the MIDI to the nearest tone in the Scala file, if a given converter is assigned a Scala file? And how is the MIDI data quantized to the Scala tones -- is it just based on MIDI notes, or is it a combination of MIDI note + pitch bend that's taken as an input?
os
Transposition is applied before Scala.

Pitch bend is applied afterwards.
autopoiesis
love
reodjectz
os are there more on the way? These are like like precious gems. I'm in the US and it seem that they are nowhere to be found.

-V
os
Some are on their way out right now, with more to follow next week.
reodjectz
os wrote:
Some are on their way out right now, with more to follow next week.

excellent.
boboter
A small feature request:

In FH-1 expander mode: Would it be possible to select which expander number the FH-1 is instead of having it always on the first position?

At the moment, I have the FH-2 plus FHX-1 expander in one case, and the FH-1 in another. And it makes the mappings a bit unintuitive to have the FH-1 not set as the second expander in that scenario.

It's just a minor thing and probably not important to most users, but I still wanted to ask.

Thanks.
-S.L-
hi,

after hours and hours of searching on my system, reading the full topic here too, I just can't make the FHX-8GT expander works using Ableton.

it is well connected to the FH-2 via the cable, on the expansion IN connector, red stripe down, just like the power connector.

I managed to make 4 mono channels tha works well as the screenshot indicates.

Now what's next, let's say I want just a gate coming from Midi Channel 5 in Ableton (which of course I would make a gate signal there), coming out on output 1 from the FHX-8GT. What's the trick ? I tried numerous random moves, with no luck using the Base Output on 1/1, Base Gate on -- or random numbers (the manual mention is it for the use of the expander) seriously, i just don't get it

One thing that worries me is that when i do a TEST FHX-8GT form the Misc menu, nothing lights up on the expander (maybe nothing is supposed to lights up?), when I swith ON my system, I got all the light flashing red 5 times (it takes some times)

Help cry
-S.L-
Bump, how do I make my FHX-8GT works please ? seriously, i just don't get it
ManjaroMB
Is anyone using the ipad for config tool, downloaded chrome on ipad, tried saving a page as instructed on PC/Mac, but no option, microphone icon only where MIDI is and don't get any pop-ups about MIDI in browser.
-S.L-
bump, as I still looking for some help here to make my expander to work FHX-8GT waah

I just can't make it work at all, no matter what are the settings I put in the web app. To a point where I wondr if it actually works at all.

Does someone who own the FH2 with the FHX-8GT give me a hint on how to set it up, or even better, what happening when I do the TEST FHX-8GT form the Misc menu ? What am I supposed to see ? seriously, i just don't get it seriously, i just don't get it seriously, i just don't get it
jonkers303
How does FH-2 handling overlapping midi notes?

I want to send it acid patterns from max4live sting, but it should slide when notes overlap for that acid flavour.
germinal
Is anyone else trying to get an FH-2 and Maths working together?

The thread here:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2909143#2909143

has some partial solutions, but there are some downsides:

Setting my gate levels to Low 0, High 2500 makes the regular trigger clean, but it makes the signal useless for a slew/sustain based envelope in Maths, since it won't go above 2V. That means I have to reconfigure the FH-2 to switch from an AD to an ASR envelope, and I lose a huge part of Maths patch-programmability waah

I'm wondering if anyone else has made progress with this - I don't have an oscilloscope, so I'm kind of very frustrating
Seaweed Sound
It's frustrating that the FH-2 doesn't cleanly trigger Maths.

I too have been wanting to leave my gates at a higher normal output level of +5v or +10v to keep the gates generic instead of Maths specific.

One other solution is to feed a high DC offset into a momentary switch and trigger the switch with the FH-2 in order to obtain a more clean gate.. of course this ties up additional hardware. If you don't have a switch, a logic AND gate or comparator should work as well.

I'm curious if the new FHX-8GT gate expander behaves the same way.
-S.L-
ok i'm really serious now guys, if Os drops by, please give me an answer

I CAN NOT MAKE THE FHX-8GT EXPANDER TO WORK AT ALL.

How the hell do you send some signal to that gear ??? Impossible to get any gate coming out of this machine ???

PLEASE we're not worthy
mdoudoroff
Seaweed Sound: as my system has grown and diversified, I’ve run into more trigger incompatibilities here and there. A buffered multiple usually solves the problem.

-S.L-: sorry you’re having trouble with this and not getting attention; usually os is pretty responsive; you might try the Expert Sleepers forum:

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=35
PopGoblin
-S.L- wrote:

I CAN NOT MAKE THE FHX-8GT EXPANDER TO WORK AT ALL.

It took me a bit to get gate's out too (combined a FHX-8GT with a FHX1 to get 4 cv/gates and 2 cv/gate/vel outs).

I used the web-based configurator - and the numbering there seemed a bit funny (in my mind). I'm not in my studio right now, so can't help more - but are you trying to configure the 8GT through the FH?
-S.L-
Hello PopGoblin,

After few back ad forths with Os, we ended up to the conclusion that my expander were not the issue but my FH-2 was. Or at least this is what it looks like, so all modules goes back home at Zzz then we will know more if I had a faulty module.
Trigonometrie.
Sorry if this has been covered somewhere but I didn’t find anything.. I was wondering on the status of doing sequences with the fh-2, maybe os or some of you already having an fh-2 could comment on that.
I know from the manual that it’s possible to add notes to an arp and build up sort of a sequence like that, is there a limit to how many notes you can build like that? Also are the add and remove note commands only working if I repress the keys in the order I played them or could I just press delete somehow and go back sequentially? Is it only possible to send those commands via cc messages or also set them via the Encoder?
Just thinking of replacing my yarns with it since the FH-2 seems to have most of the features I’m using on it plus the extra clock inputs Olivier said would not really be possible on the yarns due to the chip being almost maxed out.. but the sequencer would be kind of important to me
Thanks!
reekster
I struggled a bit getting an Fh-1 and two Fhx1’s configured properly but just a little trial and error, trying new configs and keeping the old ones until I got it all right/ I love the connectivity it gives me between Cubase and my Eurorack. I even swapped out the ribbon cable that connects the modules to each other for a longer one so I have the second expander in another rack.
bunq
Hello,
Is it possible that FH2 receive external cv clock from X input, so it can synchronize Reaktor or Ableton to that clock?

When I send clock to X input, the led flashes, but the tempo doesn't sync.. hmmm.....

Thanks!
kamindustries
I'm having a hard time getting portamento to work. I've got a good grip on how the config tool works and have been able to work with the arpeggiator and other features just fine. I'm just trying to get portamento on output 1 using MIDI channel 1, CC #55.

I know the old config tool had portamento as part of the main output table, but now it's part of the envelopes section.

Does anyone have portamento working/not working? Is there something obvious I'm missing?
Quru
I got mine yesterday and hooked it up to my Digitakt. I found the web UI and the terminology quite confusing, but after a frustrating couple of hours of RTFM, trial and error and numerous resets I got it running the way I wanted. It's great pairing with Digitakt as I was sequencing drums and other samples with it anyway and now I can do all my sequencing from this one box and use it as my master clock instead of Reaper. Just great!
manglepup
kamindustries wrote:
I'm having a hard time getting portamento to work. I've got a good grip on how the config tool works and have been able to work with the arpeggiator and other features just fine. I'm just trying to get portamento on output 1 using MIDI channel 1, CC #55.

I know the old config tool had portamento as part of the main output table, but now it's part of the envelopes section.

Does anyone have portamento working/not working? Is there something obvious I'm missing?

It seems to work for me, but only when I play notes legato (having a bit of overlap between key presses). It sounds pretty good. I have also tried using the Smoothing on the CV output to kind of slew it, but haven't had great results yet. I like the smoothing better for one of my LFO outs (random)
lloydb
Hi there,

Just wondering if there's any plans for using the FH-2 for CV to MIDI conversion via the 2 CV inputs?

I posted a while ago asking about this and was told it could be coming in a firmware update. Have there been any developments?
Funky40
Quru wrote:
I got mine yesterday and hooked it up to my Digitakt. I found the web UI and the terminology quite confusing, but after a frustrating couple of hours of RTFM, trial and error and numerous resets I got it running the way I wanted. It's great pairing with Digitakt as I was sequencing drums and other samples with it anyway and now I can do all my sequencing from this one box and use it as my master clock instead of Reaper. Just great!

ok, a Request then:
could you please post a screenshot of your "Config Tool" settings,
and a short description in plain text what the 8 outs of the FH-2 are sending out ?

this would help me ALOTS to get an understanding of how to configure the "config tool".

would be VERY appreciated if you could take the Time "Quru" !
everybody else who has configurations that work: your welcome to post yours too wink
-S.L-
-S.L- wrote:
Hello PopGoblin,

After few back ad forths with Os, we ended up to the conclusion that my expander were not the issue but my FH-2 was. Or at least this is what it looks like, so all modules goes back home at Zzz then we will know more if I had a faulty module.

Modules are back from Os/Expert Sleepers and now fully working !

Many thanks to Os for the support, time and help applause Guinness ftw!
hewed
@-S.L- - I have got my FH-2, awaiting my FHX-8GT expander. Would you mind screenshotting your config page so I can skip some manual reading and set up the modules a little low effortly?
-S.L-
I can do that but it also depends on your configuration as well.
But right now I have no access to my computer for 4 days anyway
hewed
Happy to wait, as I'll likely not see the expander for 2 weeks. Appreciate your setup =/= mine, but it gives me more to work from than I've found so far.

Thanks muchly
izmond
Does the FH2 work with the OP-Z? Really want to try it out as a sequencer for the modular.
hewed
[deleted]
Tenderosa
I was going to make this same query. Only occurred to me the other day how useful modulation cv from the modular transmitted back to external hardware as midi CC would be.

Thanks! And thanks also for the FH2, it's made my modular more useful

lloydb wrote:
Hi there,

Just wondering if there's any plans for using the FH-2 for CV to MIDI conversion via the 2 CV inputs?

I posted a while ago asking about this and was told it could be coming in a firmware update. Have there been any developments?
kamindustries
I'm getting a little stuck troubleshooting trigger levels. I have my FH-2 set up so output 1-3 and 5-7 are MIDI/CV converters with CV, trigger, and velocity. 4 and 8 are direct CC. My problem is the trigger on output 2 is giving me lower levels than the trigger on output 6, to the point that it doesn't retrigger a Maths trig envelope. But output 6 does.

I made sure all my trigger outputs are set to 0-10V with a high gate level of 16383, and I tried changing the voltage and high output values to something different and back again to make sure the settings were going through. Any ideas what's happening?
manglepup
kamindustries wrote:
I'm getting a little stuck troubleshooting trigger levels. I have my FH-2 set up so output 1-3 and 5-7 are MIDI/CV converters with CV, trigger, and velocity. 4 and 8 are direct CC. My problem is the trigger on output 2 is giving me lower levels than the trigger on output 6, to the point that it doesn't retrigger a Maths trig envelope. But output 6 does.

I made sure all my trigger outputs are set to 0-10V with a high gate level of 16383, and I tried changing the voltage and high output values to something different and back again to make sure the settings were going through. Any ideas what's happening?

Double check smoothing settings; a little bit of smoothing on a trigger will make it so maths doesn't see the trigger.
kamindustries
manglepup wrote:
kamindustries wrote:

Double check smoothing settings; a little bit of smoothing on a trigger will make it so maths doesn't see the trigger.

Thanks, I did check my smoothing settings but didn't seem to help. I ended up remaking the config from a default state and everything is working now. Wasn't a big pain, just hope it sticks.
manglepup
Thanks, I did check my smoothing settings but didn't seem to help. I ended up remaking the config from a default state and everything is working now. Wasn't a big pain, just hope it sticks.[/quote]

I had something similar happen with the first config I ever made, and I've never had anything similar since. That being said, I have forgotten to save my config/presets a couple times after editing them.
Funky40
edit: solved !
i need the FHX-8GT

sorry
linjirinzai
Hi,

I'm looking to use Logic as my master clock, and send the clock into FH-2 and from there into other Eurorack modules (Pamela's New Work, o_C, etc).

I've seen some people say that "MIDI clock isn't tight enough," whereas others seem to do this with no complaints.

Could someone comment on this with the FH-2? I don't have a DC-coupled audio interface, nor do I have an extra audio out (my interface only has a few outputs) that I could conveniently use for a clock...and I also don't fully understand how I'd set this up. Thanks.
-S.L-
"Midi isn't tight enough" is true but coming from hardware like old drum machines for example.

If you use a master clock from any DAW, to your FH2 , it's gonna be rock solid and won't move at all.
os
I would disagree. This is one reason Silent Way and the ES-3 etc. exist.

USB MIDI timing is famously not rock solid.

However it may be good enough for your purposes. Only you can decide that.
Migrigsynth
OS,

Would you recommend going with Silent Way and an ES-3 instead of a FH-2 if you're sequencing "short attack" type sound sources?
os
If you’re sequencing from a DAW, and timing is a concern, and have compatible hardware (eg an ADAT output for an ES-3) I would always recommend Silent Way over a MIDI solution.
Migrigsynth
Thanks for the quick response, much appreciated sir!
Neither
Is there any theoretical drawback for connecting my computer to FH-2's USB C with USB2 instead of USB3? Might the MIDI timing be more solid or anything? I'm might be running out of USB3 ports at some point but I've got plenty of USB2 ports free...
os
The FH-2 doesn't support USB3.
Neither
os wrote:
The FH-2 doesn't support USB3.

Good to know.

---

I'm unable to get started with FH-2. I'¨m using Chromium and the Web Configuration tool says that 'Web MIDI status: OK'. The FH-2 display shows 'C'.
So everything should be in order, right?

Well, when I do some changes and press "Send to FH-2" while selecting FH-2 from the "Send to MIDI port menu" - nothing seems to change.

The web-display says:

PM: sent config dump request to FH-2
PM: 0 mapping(s)
PM: sent sysex (4137 bytes)

When I try to upload the settings (back to my web-display) while selecting 'Listen on MIDI port: FH-2' from the corresponding menu - nothing changes.

The display says that: "PM: sent config dump request to FH-2"

I've watched this tutorial
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4y8RPDm2h0
(in addition to reading the manual)
but nothing behaves the same as in the tutorial?

I've updated the newest firmware and I'm using the newest Web Configuration tool.

So what simple mistake am I doing?
os
What do you get from the 'Request FH-2 Version' button?
Neither
os wrote:
What do you get from the 'Request FH-2 Version' button?

BOX1: " sent version request to FH-2 "

BOX2: " F0 00 21 27 2F 22 F7 "

edit: also the "Send msg" button is working correctly

edit2 : I changed the USB port from USB3 to USB2. Now the "uploading" seems to be working.
I thought that USB3 would have been backwards compatible...
Neither
I'm still having constant trouble with the FH-2 web configuration. Most of the time it simply doesn't work.

Almost every time, uploading from FH-2 doesn't work. Then I have to reboot FH-2 and hope that it might work next time. Now again, uploading doesn't work at all.

Quite often, the FH-2 option isn't visible in the pull down menu of the "Send to MIDI port" setting.
Even though it is visible in the pull down menu of the "Listen on MIDI port" setting.

Windows recognizes FH-2 just fine...
Not a single error message.
Other programs (Maschine 2) seem to recognize FH-2 and communicate with it fine (by what I can tell).

This is really frustrating. I've spent countless hours on booting, rebooting, removing cables and trying different ports, restarting browsers, then closing them, then rebooting and hoping for best, etc.
os
Chrome on Windows seems a little unreliable when it comes to web MIDI. It's on my to-do list to investigate a non-browser-based config tool.
Neither
os wrote:
Chrome on Windows seems a little unreliable when it comes to web MIDI. It's on my to-do list to investigate a non-browser-based config tool.

For me, configuring FH-2 on Windows (10) is a nightmare. I'm almost thinking that I've got a faulty unit. I've tested the web-config with Chrome and Chromium and with three different USB-A to USB-C cables. Some combinations are more buggy than others and things might only work by a lucky accident. For one time. Then nothing works again. So getting to learn what different settings do and how they act will probably take me months at this pace.

So I need a work-a-round. Getting a Mac is way too expensive solution.

I've been trying to get the web-config to work on android. The web-config wouldn't connect if I used a USB-A to USB-C cable. But it connects with a USB-C to USB-C cable (that goes straight from phone to FH-2's C-plug). Web MIDI status: OK. Hurray! However the web-config is very buggy on Android also.

Do you think a Linux laptop might work better than Windows or Android?
os
I have no idea, sorry.
Neither
Well, seems like Android with Chromium works quite well and reliably for making config changes. Much better than with Windows 10.

Now my workflow would become considerably faster if FH-2's USB type C input would support USB type C hubs? Currently, I need to disconnect my Windows machine each time I need to make a change with Android to FH-2. Not a huge hassle but anyways...
Neither
I've got a drumpad supposedly supports polyphonic aftertouch.
I'm trying to figure out the correct settings:

My controller doesn't support MPE so is I guess the paraphonic aftertouch would be the correct setting? I couldn't find any mention about it in the manual...

Another thing I'm confused about... If I tick the box 'Show FH-2 Output Configurator' in the web configurator, it displays two 'FH-2 Output Configurators'. One output configuration is displayed always, even if the option 'Show FH-2 Output Configurator' isn't selected. They both look identical:

Is there any difference between the upper one and lower one? Because when I change settings to the upper one, they don't seem to be reflected on the lower one.
os
The two configurators is a glitch in your browser. There should only be one.

The FH-2 doesn't have true support for polyphonic aftertouch (aka Polyphonic Key Pressure) at the moment. It supports regular aftertouch (Channel Pressure), which is how MPE implements per-note aftertouch.

Polyphonic Key Pressure is currently treated as Channel Pressure, and so comes under the 'paraphonic aftertouch' in the config tool. It's a while since I tested that though.
JES
I can confirm aftertouch works as expected with a Linnstrument.
DiAL033
I own a fh2 for some days now and I am really pleased by its performance. However the web config is rather annoying to use IMHO. The web midi interface works, barely. Lots of timeouts when requesting a cfg for instance. The cv.Ocd midi to cv also uses a web config, but simply renders a sysex cfg to file. This also has the advantage that you can load a cfg file into the forms. That way you can look up cfg settings without having to dump from device. I think this would be an easy fix to implement and would serve as an workaround for a lot of problems with the web config mentioned here, too.

I also struggle with the concept of the midi converters. It feels unnecessarily complicated and often unclear what output is used for what function. Maybe the tool could spit out an assignment map of outputs and converter inputs?
os
I just released v1.5.6 which should fix most (all?) of the problems with the web config tool not responding to requests for config dumps.

File under "stupid bugs". Honestly I'm amazed it worked at all.
Funky40
http://www.expert-sleepers.co.uk/fh2firmware.html

thanks !
os
I also just added download links (on http://expert-sleepers.co.uk/fh2firmware.html) to standalone versions of the config tool, that don't require a separate install of Chrome or Opera. I would be interested to hear if people prefer these.
nangu
My FH-2 came in the mail yesterday, and isn’t even in a case quite yet.

However, I can definitely say that a stand-alone config app is preferable to anything browser-based (and presumably internet-dependent).

There is a slightly off-grid hovel which pretends to be a studio. The toilet has serious issues, and it has no internet access. But the monitors can get waaay loud without disturbing anyone..

If I need to mess with FH-2 settings while I’m there, accessing a web tool with a real laptop will be pretty much impossible. iPhone or iPad could work. But standalone sounds fantastic.

Thanks!
Stue
Received my FH-2 this week, too. I prefer the standalone version of the config tool (macOS version in my case) - thanks for offering this. I have paired the FH-2 with my new Elektron Digitakt - a whole new jam experience with my modular and some classic midi synths, top!

Cheers
Gonzbull
+1 for the standalone config tool. I’ve yet to receive my FH-2 though. OS, any idea when Perfect Circuit will be getting a replenish?
Cheers
os
2-3 weeks, at a guess.
scragz
nangu wrote:
My FH-2 came in the mail yesterday, and isn’t even in a case quite yet.

However, I can definitely say that a stand-alone config app is preferable to anything browser-based (and presumably internet-dependent).

There is a slightly off-grid hovel which pretends to be a studio. The toilet has serious issues, and it has no internet access. But the monitors can get waaay loud without disturbing anyone..

If I need to mess with FH-2 settings while I’m there, accessing a web tool with a real laptop will be pretty much impossible. iPhone or iPad could work. But standalone sounds fantastic.

Thanks!

You can save the HTML file to a laptop and run it locally with no internet connection.
Neither
os wrote:
I just released v1.5.6 which should fix most (all?) of the problems with the web config tool not responding to requests for config dumps.

File under "stupid bugs". Honestly I'm amazed it worked at all.

Many thanks! The stand-alone program works great and uploading the configuration from FH-2 works really fast. On the web configuration (in Windows 10) the upload process takes 1-2 minutes (this is probably Chrome's fault). Also I've still got the minor glitch where I see the 'FH-2 Output' box as a double. The stand-alone program is completely free of this glitch. Otherwise the web configuration is working much better than previously and connects to FH-2 without trouble. I'll be using the stand-alone program but the web cconfig might be useful just in case (if I need to tweak the config on-the-road with my phone or something)

Btw, Maschine 2 works with FH-2 without the Midi-Din socket. Just need to keep the Maschine software running on a computer and plug the computer into FH-2's USB-C connector. Plugging a USB cable straight from Maschine to FH-2's USB-A socket (socket for hosts) doesn't work, even when Maschine is in midi-mode. I'll need to test if Maschines midi-mode would work (without a computer in between) if I'd connect it with a USB-b cable (from Maschine) straght to FH2's host socket. But first I'll need to get a USB-B to USB-C cable.
saiteron
Neither wrote:

Many thanks! The stand-alone program works great and uploading the configuration from FH-2 works really fast. On the web configuration (in Windows 10) the upload process takes 1-2 minutes (this is probably Chrome's fault).

seems to be Chrome for sure. i had the same issue but weirdly enough when i use Brave (Chromium-based browser) the upload process is almost instantaneous. hmmm.....
DJ Tap Water
Can this take midi note data with portamento and pitch bend attributes and convert it into a single gliding pitch cv?
autopoiesis
DJ Tap Water wrote:
Can this take midi note data with portamento and pitch bend attributes and convert it into a single gliding pitch cv?

it can and will do this for you dj tap water
peterpanderretter
Hey Chaps,

tonight first session with my FH-2 + OT & got some issues - maybe you can help

- configured 1-4 with the online tool as triggers reacting to midi notes.
> 1,2,3,4 are working but 1 is illuminated with constant blue; others are red just when getting triggerd (?)

- manual page 10 "The top right of the screen shows the current clock source. The possibilities are "None", "Int" (internal clock), "Ext" (external analogue clock), "USB A", "USB C", or "DIN"."
> can not choose usb a as clock input (displays shows "AI") - can just choose "none" & "int" (?)

- can I configure X or Y to output me the external clock signal of my Octatrack somehow

thanks for your support!
kpreid
peterpanderretter wrote:
- manual page 10 "The top right of the screen shows the current clock source. The possibilities are "None", "Int" (internal clock), "Ext" (external analogue clock), "USB A", "USB C", or "DIN"."
> can not choose usb a as clock input (displays shows "AI") - can just choose "none" & "int" (?)

I got confused by this too; the answer is that there's no setting for external clock. Just send MIDI clock in while the internal clock is off.
os
Quote:
> 1,2,3,4 are working but 1 is illuminated with constant blue; others are red just when getting triggerd (?)

That will be differences in the voltage range setting for the outputs.

Quote:
can I configure X or Y to output me the external clock signal of my Octatrack somehow

X & Y are inputs. You can configure any of the outputs as clocks.
drowld
Are the jack as bad as in the other ES modules ? or did they upgraded them ?
I have es3/es6 and fh1 and the jack are terrible.
I'm selling fh1 for this reason and looking for alternatives for the 3 of them because how bad they are.
2disbetter
Do you mean that the jacks feel loose? Out side of not needing a whole lot of force to unplug things, I haven't had any problems with the jacks. I just make sure the plugs are all firmly plugged in, and I'm good.

It could be improved, but I don't know of any midi to cv solution now or being released that comes close to the flexibility and utility of the FH-2 (heck the FH-1 is still great as well).
peterpanderretter
drowld wrote:
Are the jack as bad as in the other ES modules ? or did they upgraded them ?
I have es3/es6 and fh1 and the jack are terrible.
I'm selling fh1 for this reason and looking for alternatives for the 3 of them because how bad they are.

Yes I also got to say that I never felt such a weird patch feeling.
Feels quite cheap and not this satisfying engagement point (CLACK) - it is more a KrrKrrKrr seriously, i just don't get it
peterpanderretter
kpreid wrote:
peterpanderretter wrote:

I got confused by this too; the answer is that there's no setting for external clock. Just send MIDI clock in while the internal clock is off.

Hmm - this bug should definitely get fixed Especially when it is getting mentioned the right way in the manual..
os
Quote:
Hmm - this bug should definitely get fixed Especially when it is getting mentioned the right way in the manual..

What bug? What @kpreid describes isn't a bug, it's the intended behaviour.
kamindustries
peterpanderretter wrote:

Yes I also got to say that I never felt such a weird patch feeling.
Feels quite cheap and not this satisfying engagement point (CLACK) - it is more a KrrKrrKrr seriously, i just don't get it

That's a good description, I agree they're weird and don't have the satisfying CLACK. But if that's the tradeoff for getting bipolar illumination embedded in each jack, that's fine with me. This module is all about configuring and reconfiguring to fit your setup, and the bipolar indicators have taken a lot of initial guesswork out of verifying my configs.

I suppose if there were to be an FH-3, I would wonder if putting a small LED adjacent to each jack, and having "normal" feeling jacks, would compromise the design in some other unforseen way.

IMO this is all very nitpicky though and mostly tangential to what a great module this is.
peterpanderretter
os wrote:
Quote:

What bug? What @kpreid describes isn't a bug, it's the intended behaviour.

As explained in the post below the selection of the clock type should be visually noticeable as described in the menu ("ext", "usb a", "din")
> there is no marker showing that you are on external clock mode - quite confusing..
os
That's not a bug though, that's just you disagreeing with the design choice.

There is no selection of the clock. The module follows the clock that it receives, and clearly displays which clock it's following.
drowld
It's not like the jack are fine.
They are the worst i've seen on any eurorack modules. And make the modules cheap as they could be.
It's really a design flaw and i'm not sure why os insist on not changing them.
There must be reasons but he doesnt seem to advance them.
peterpanderretter
os wrote:
That's not a bug though, that's just you disagreeing with the design choice.

There is no selection of the clock. The module follows the clock that it receives, and clearly displays which clock it's following.

OK but where is it showing me that it is following clock which comes from (midi > usb a)? (a picture would help)
os
peterpanderretter
It is showing this
(Octatrack sends master to a Quadra thru > midi to usb cable > fh2)

os
It says the internal clock is running. Did you start it (for example by pressing the left button)?
peterpanderretter
Yes I startet the sequencer.
Also tried direct connection w/o Quadra thru.
It receives midi notes though..
seriously, i just don't get it
os
Don't start the internal clock if you want it to follow the MIDI clock.
os
Just dropped firmware v1.6, which includes CV/MIDI conversion, some handy new LFO features, and some other fixes/improvements.
Tenderosa
os wrote:
Just dropped firmware v1.6, which includes CV/MIDI conversion, some handy new LFO features, and some other fixes/improvements.

CV to MIDI! Huge update, thankyou.
mrerdat
FH-2 manual wrote:
The X & Y inputs can be used to generate MIDI from incoming CVs. Each input can be configured
independently. Note that when an input is enabled for CV/MIDI conversion it is no longer available
for other duties; specifically, use as clock inputs is disabled.

The resulting MIDI can be sent out via any or all of the available MIDI ports (USB A, USB C, and
DIN), and also used internally by the FH-2 as if the MIDI had arrived from elsewhere. It is
therefore possible to use the CV inputs to control aspects of the FH-2's behaviour usually controlled
via MIDI.

wow this rules
Tenderosa
os wrote:

Just been running the cv to midi, extraordinary how useful it is. Been controlling the filter poles selector inside my Moog with a cc number translated from Maths. Very different to just tweaking this via the daw.
Ypsi Kid
I'll also agree with the person a few post above about the jacks. The jacks on the module are really crappy. Plugging anything in feels like something is broken and they just generally feel crappy. They work though, so as long as they don't break early (it feels like everytime I plug into input 1 or 2, it feels like the jack is broken and also sounds crunchy).

Anyways, the module is working great for me, so not complaints outside of that. Will have to update to the new version this weekend.

Cheers.
Funky40
Thanks os !

updated.
CV 2 midi yet to be explored......Nice addition !

i run now the new config tool.
My main music PC, mac mini, was for example not able to connect with the FH-2. ( using chrome )
Had to use my old macbook.

works now with the new desktop based config tool on my main mac.
Great job! much appreciated

(might have to open a own thread later for some trouble shooting though vs. programming configs)
Mr. Aloud
noob question:

It seems the ENV can be dampened and inversed by the depth setting (-64-+64). So for a +-5V signal, a setting of 32 would mean 0V-2.5V while -32 would mean 0V- -2.5V, is that correct?

I didn´t see a similar parameter in LFO settings, does that mean LFOs will always swing between +-5V and need an external attenuator? Would surprise me, as there are so many other parameters for LFO control.

That said, I first wanted to buy an ES-8, then decided to go ES-3 instead, as that would bypass the CV out limit under Win10: ES-8 can´t be stacked, so only one unit under win10 and no other audio interfaces unless ASIO4ALL plays nicely. Which, in my experience, is a gamble.

Right now I think of a combo of ES-3 and FH-2, as I want to use MIDI Fighter Twister for knobs to control a bunch of virtual LFOs and ENVs. And then have ES-3 for audio I/O and probably computer generated LFO/ENV when needed (better resolution, probably faster).

Which brings me to the question: I´d assume the FH-2 is not seen as an audio device by Win 10, but a class compliant MIDI device. Can I have multiple of those and stack them? That would allow for a ton of CV and for a few signals that need it, I could still go ADAT/ES-3

Does that make sense?
scragz
Finally got a second FHX-8CV (those things are difficult to track down right now).... For anyone else getting more than one of these, please note that there is a SEPARATE MANUAL for them and you must set a jumper telling it to be the 2nd expansion. I was just reading the relevant portion of the FH-2 manual and was perplexed why the 2nd one was duplicating the signals from the 1st.
os
Quote:
It seems the ENV can be dampened and inversed by the depth setting (-64-+64). So for a +-5V signal, a setting of 32 would mean 0V-2.5V while -32 would mean 0V- -2.5V, is that correct?

Yes.

Quote:
I didn´t see a similar parameter in LFO settings, does that mean LFOs will always swing between +-5V and need an external attenuator?

No. Each LFO shape has its own level control, and there's an overall level multiplier as well.

Quote:
I´d assume the FH-2 is not seen as an audio device by Win 10, but a class compliant MIDI device. Can I have multiple of those and stack them?

Yes. But you can also expand the FH-2 with the FHX-8CV and FHX-8GT, which would be cheaper.
Mr. Aloud
Awesome, many thanks for the fast, accurate and helpful reply.

Reason for multiple FH-2 is separate modular systems, so probably extending each of them with FHX as needed.

Same thing for ES-8 (audio based modulation and audio I/O) if drivers could be stacked, otherwise I´ll probably go ES-3 and multi ADAT I/O from the PC side of things.

So one PC (win10) will be at the center, while each modular should get a combo of FH-2 (midi integration) and ES-8 (preferred), but probably has to be ES-3 with multiple RME adat cards (2 babyface, 2 hdsp 9652) which I´d rather sell.
Funky40
is there a way to make a "autoload at boot up" configuration so that the FH-2 would for example load preset-1 and config-1 at boot up ?

i think i read sometime back that there is a way to do so ? but where/link ?
or: how would i do this ?
scragz
Funky40 wrote:
is there a way to make a "autoload at boot up" configuration so that the FH-2 would for example load preset-1 and config-1 at boot up ?

https://expert-sleepers.co.uk/downloads/manuals/fh2_user_manual_1.5.pd f

Page 15, Settings -> Startup preset / Startup configuration
Funky40
ahh, scragz, you are the best.

i was in the Manual the other day. But i´m not good with Manuals oops

much Thanks !
lionel
Could someone help me understand What the FH2 firmware 1.6 cv/midi conversion can do ?
I’m thinking of getting an ES6 to pair with my ES3, but I’m Also interested in the live possibilty (without Daw) that the FH2 offers
My bank hopes I won’t Have to get both wink
os
You can take a CV from the modular and turn it into a MIDI CC. Then you can control anything you'd normally control with a MIDI CC e.g. from a MIDI controller or keyboard.
lionel
Thanks, that’s mad !
Are the X and Y outs fully equivalent to two outs of the ES-6 for CV to Midi ?
I understand that the ES-6 can transmit audio rate, is there anything else that the ES-6 can do that is not possible with the FH2 ?
os
They're ins, not outs.

They're not equivalent at all. With the ES-6 you can actually record the CV as an audio file.

And of course, you can use the ES-6 for audio as well.
lionel
Ok, got it !

I was interverting the Ins from the module with Outs for my eurorack wink

So, with ES-6, you can record your cv signals as well or process them with silent way for cv to midi etc (there is no distinction between audio rate and cv), whereas the FH2 is all about CV to Midi

Last question : As the ES-6 also needs to be connected to an ES-3. Do I need an optical Toslink cable to connect the ES6 to my soundcard ? (RME Fireface UCX)

I think I'll take both FH2 and ES-6 wink
os
Quote:
Do I need an optical Toslink cable to connect the ES6 to my soundcard ?

Yes (and one for the ES-3).
smurf
Hi,
Can anyone recommend a powered usb hub for the fh-2?
scragz
I can pretty reliably lock up the FH8CV in mono mode using the Linnstrument by running my hands up and down the pads diagonally hitting a bunch of them. The gate will stay high no matter what until whatever key got it stuck is hit again. The FH2 will register the other keys note on/off events but won't switch off the gate. Haven't replicated it on the main FH2 outputs.

@os Please let me know if there's anything I can do to make a better bug report or any useful debugging data I can provide.
bunq
Hello Os, is it possible to save autocalibrations datas with configuration ? Or to automatically load specific calibrations at startup ?
Thank you
os
https://expert-sleepers.co.uk/fh2firmware.html
Quote:
Added the ability to define which calibrations should be loaded at start up.
bunq
Thank you very much!
Sebdaflou
Hi,

I try to receive midi notes from the FH-2 sent to Ableton live.
I can record triggers and CC but how can i record different midi notes (pitch CV) in a MIDI Clip ?
I would like to record my pitch CV sequences from the Varigates 4+ in Ableton
Thanx !
os
That's not currently supported. It will likely be added soon.
Migrigsynth
OS,

Any idea when another shipment of FH-2s will be coming to the states?

Thanks
os
Wiggle Hunt says it's in stock in the US in a number of places:

https://wigglehunt.com/#/search?query=fh-2&stock_status=1&condition=ne w&price_min=0&price_max=5000&base_currency=
Migrigsynth
Cool. Thanks for the info. Didn't know about this site. thumbs up
os
Just dropped firmware 1.7.
scragz
Managed to lockup the gate on the FHX-8CV just by playing an arpeggio sloppily. Again, this is using Linnstrument into a Mono MIDI->CV channel. It doesn't get the note off and the gate stays high until that key is hit again.

Still can't replicate on the FH-2 itself so I'm not sure if the issue is particular to the FHX-8CV or just expansions or what.
os
Which firmware? How many expanders do you have attached?

Could you attach your config as a sysex dump?
scragz
os wrote:
Which firmware? How many expanders do you have attached?

Could you attach your config as a sysex dump?

I'm still on 1.6. I have two FHX-8CV. Config is attached, pretty basic setup.
os
Thanks. When the gate got stuck, was all the activity on the one expander, or were things active on the FH-2's & the other expander's outputs as well?

Also, could you allow a tiny amount of smoothing or an LFO to the gate output, and see if that has any effect? That will mean the output is constantly being updated.
2disbetter
os wrote:
Thanks. When the gate got stuck, was all the activity on the one expander, or were things active on the FH-2's & the other expander's outputs as well?

Also, could you allow a tiny amount of smoothing or an LFO to the gate output, and see if that has any effect? That will mean the output is constantly being updated.

This is something that happens pretty regularly with the roli seaboard and the fh-2. A gate would stick. . I have the FH-2 setup to output 4 voices, each made up of 5 outs. So when it sticks, I just play all four by mashing keys, and it will unstick.

Would you suggest this in my case? The smoothing, for example?
os
It might be informative. It would tell us whether the problem is a) the MIDI note off is lost, or b) the message to the expander to turn the gate off is lost. If the expander output is constantly being updated because of LFO/smoothing, that would fix b).
messiah_ward
Does anyone know if the fh-2 will fit into a Moog euro case? The fh-2 is listed as 48mm deep on modulargrid (I've not measured mine), and the Moog website says the useable case depth is 1.9 inches which is 48.26mm, so it's pretty tight!

I've got my eye on a cheap one for a small portable rig, but the fh-2 is an important part of that so there's no point buying the case if it won't fit.

os
If it's just the wrong side of tight you can raise the module slightly by putting some washers behind the front panel (between the panel and the rack rails).
kamindustries
Is it possible to control the multiplier value of a clock output via MIDI? It would be cool to assign this parameter to a MIDI channel and have variable/sequenceable clocks.

I currently have 4 clock outputs at different divisions. I'm thinking if they all shared the same MIDI channel for their multiplier, I could have a nice rotating clock divider/multiplier!
autopoiesis
that doesn't look possible to me based on the mappable parameters available on the desktop configuration tool, but instead of nominal Clock outputs you could send an LFO out, turn up the level of the square shape, and map a CC to its base or multiplier (I can't remember, you'll have to rtm) value. this is how I send clock out of the FH2, so I can just turn a dedicated encoder on my Pyramid to change the division, or sequence that.
Funky40
dedicated clock outs plus having control/access by midi to its settings would be awesome

:feature request:
peterpanderretter
os wrote:
Quote:

That will be differences in the voltage range setting for the outputs.

Quote:
can I configure X or Y to output me the external clock signal of my Octatrack somehow

X & Y are inputs. You can configure any of the outputs as clocks.

os wrote:
Currently X is clock, and Y is either reset or run/stop.

I'll add more functionality in future e.g. CV/MIDI, or CV control over tempo etc.

Hey OS,
how can I find more information about the X/Y & how to configure them?
No chance to use them as outputs in the future smile?
cheers
os
In the user manual.
peterpanderretter
Found it in the manual - sry & thx.

1. Any chance the can be outputs in the future?

2. In the script for clock divider/multiplier function could you add values such as 1/3; 1/5 1/6; 1/7?

3. I got two scenarios & I want to save them as two different presets (btw when I change the presets name in the script: it is showing up nowhere; if I change the presets` name in the module iit is still showing "init" when i browse thru the presets)

>scenario1: trigger mode with external clock & giving triggers according to midi notes
>scenario2: independent mode with internal clock just spitting out clock dividers & multipliers

I configure it, upload it to the the device: all good. Save it as a preset.
Changing preset now. Start a fresh script. Upload it. Save it as another preset.
Swapping the presets doesnt work: in external clock mode it behaves as scenario 1 - when i start running the internal clock it behaves as scenario two > happening in both presets (??)
os
I cannot make inputs become outputs. They're physically different.

What are you calling a 'script'? Do you mean a configuration?

Regarding saving, are you confusing presets and configurations?
peterpanderretter
So I basically want to save 2 different configurations: I guess my describeted routine should be the same then.
RTFM very frustrating
Tenderosa
Has anyone got a polyphonic config going on the FH2 before with a paraphonic gate? I'm not getting very far. Does this config screen look obviously wrong to those who have had it going? Thanks!
os
You seem to have enabled three MIDI/CV converters. Was that intentional?
Tenderosa
os wrote:

No, but when I drop to just the first one as poly I'm getting physical port 2 firing with a CV and it seems 4,5 & 6 firing gates. I'm sending a steady pulse of notes from Ableton hoping it will round robin to the other oscillators. Or does the FH2 want to use six physical outs for the poly setup. I thought the paraphonic gate may be sending through one for the 3 voice setup I'm trying to make
Tenderosa
os wrote:
possibly I'm just not pointing the paraphonic gate in the right place, expanded screenshot with voltage ranges visible.
Tenderosa
[quote="Tenderosa"]
os wrote:
possibly I'm just not pointing the paraphonic gate in the right place, expanded screenshot with voltage ranges visible.

Ah, turn that converter gate off & the paraphonic gate turns on to replace at the end of the three polyphonic CV outputs I see.
Funky40
i could imagine beeing a good idea if os would provide some screen shots of the config tool for some certain specific scenarios.
should be less workload then reading and answering same problems and requests again and again, no ?*

can´t help with polyphonic setups. happy that i managed my monophonic setups wink
while things feel easy once managed to do......the config tool still feels confusing "for me" for anything above that lol
nevertheless: try& error helps here lol

* @ os: in case you´d do so, some comenting on the settings (screenshots) you did would be welocme !
probably even doing some faulty programming and pointing to the faults....?

i mean its not like using the config tool every week.
the feel for it can also get lost ( similar to other complex gear wink )
Neither
kpreid wrote:
peterpanderretter wrote:

I don't get this anymore. I used to get external sync from my DAW just fine. But I can't remember anymore how. I've got USB-C connected to my host (Reaper DAW) and the only choices I get is "none" & "int". "Int" works as normal internal clock. "None" doesn't feed anything out from the clock output.
How am I supposed to get the external clock?
os
You just send it from the DAW. If it's sending MIDI clock, you'll see them arrive at the bottom of the FH-2's display, and it will sync to it and show the clock source at the top right.

If you don't see MIDI clock coming in, chances are it's not being sent.
Gonzbull
Heya Os is there any possibility of having the FH-2 run both a Mac via USB C and an IPad via CCK and USB 2? Would be so awesome if there was a way to implement this. Cheers
Neither
os wrote:
You just send it from the DAW. If it's sending MIDI clock, you'll see them arrive at the bottom of the FH-2's display, and it will sync to it and show the clock source at the top right.

If you don't see MIDI clock coming in, chances are it's not being sent.

Ah, of course. I did some modifications on my system, witch I forgot about and I thought I was missing some setting on FH-2.

In the clock's base settings, what is the difference between e.g. 1/32 vs 1/32T? What does the 'T' stand for?
os
@Neither Triplet.

Quote:
is there any possibility of having the FH-2 run both a Mac via USB C and an IPad via CCK and USB 2? Would be so awesome if there was a way to implement this.

You would have to use a host-to-host connector for the iPad e.g.
https://www.iconnectivity.com/products/midi/iconnectmidi2plus
peterpanderretter
os wrote:
I cannot make inputs become outputs. They're physically different.

What are you calling a 'script'? Do you mean a configuration?

Regarding saving, are you confusing presets and configurations?

Yes I mean the config menu:
Due to divider/multiplier function could you add values such as 1/3; 1/5 1/6; 1/7?
arctor023
hi!
first of all: thank you very much @os for this impressive support you provide here! i love my fh-2 and it is constantly giving me great ideas on how to config and tweak it to get something new out of my modular It's peanut butter jelly time!

i use it with an FHX-8GT-expander and mainly use the OT as MIDI-machine.

but there are some things that i still could not understand about that combination:

1. when i ratchet a MIDI-note on the OT's sequencer, the FH2 outputs it like a longer note-value / decay. this also happens when i set the OT's note-length as short as possible. is there any way to tweak it, to achieve something like, for instance, very short pulses like a MATHS?

2. my current way of controlling the (extremely powerful!) LFO's is by MIDI-CC's, which is great, but is there any way to render the OT's own LFO's over the FH2? something like "shaping" the direct-level of an individually assigned output by the OT's LFO? i have tried that and could somehow manage to do so with the sawtooth-shapes, but did anyone here also succeed in interpreting the oher waveforms of the OT?
os
1. Are you outputting gates or envelopes from the FH-2?

2. Yes, you can just send the OT's LFO CC to the 'direct level' CC on the FH-2. Should just work. You may like to apply a little smoothing on the FH-2 as well.
arctor023
thanks for the quick reply @os!

1. i am outputting gates through the FHX8GT

2. do you mean the OT's LFO-values per triggered sequencer-step, or is there also a way to output the OT's LFO as CC-value (never did this before, sorry for asking...)? /edit: and would it be steppy this way? because afaik the OT's MIDI-values are only rendered in 7bit.
kamindustries
Yeah if you apply an OT LFO to a cc it will continuously update if you have it set to free running, or sample and hold on a trig, or whatever.

The FH-2 has a smoothing parameter for cc's. I found you only need a very small amount of smoothing applied and it nearly totally fixes the steppyness while preserving the shape.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 16