MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Moon Modular teaser for Superbooth and a new mixer
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Moon Modular teaser for Superbooth and a new mixer
JohnLRice
Looks like a new mixer sporting some tasty VU meters! love Also some excellent music from the band YOU or at least Udu Hanten and another bandmate. thumbs up
bwhittington
applause
hsosdrum
applause applause applause applause applause
SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger!
screaming goo yo screaming goo yo screaming goo yo screaming goo yo screaming goo yo screaming goo yo

thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up
josaka
I find these videos a bit strange.. as with most of moons promo stuff..
a vague superimposed outline over a live performance..?
why not film the module directly..? is it even a new module..?
music is good.. but the rest.. from a "teaser" point.. does the opposite.
Stereotactixxx
I hope it's 5U and not CP.

With those VU meters, I almost wish I needed another mixer.
kindredlost
Is the 543CP already out? This teaser implies the dedicated audio mixer design by showing VU meters. The 543CP can be DC coupled for cv use and is voltage controlled. Since Moon already have a smaller single space attenuator/mixer, I would guess this to be full size (not CP) with panning but no voltage control. Just a guess according to the current lineup.
robotmakers
kindredlost wrote:
Is the 543CP already out? This teaser implies the dedicated audio mixer design by showing VU meters. The 543CP can be DC coupled for cv use and is voltage controlled. Since Moon already have a smaller single space attenuator/mixer, I would guess this to be full size (not CP) with panning but no voltage control. Just a guess according to the current lineup.

Yes, the 543CP is available. Here's mine:

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=195999&highlight=

Cheers,
Roger
bwhittington
kindredlost wrote:

It is labelled the Four Channel Voltage Controlled Output Mixer, same as the 543CP. Seems like the VC would be for panning, too.
kdjupdal
Interesting

As a "teaser", it is quite good actually, as it does tease us!

I would like to have an output module, but I guess this one will not be cheap. What do you use as an output module? I have often used the Q108 vca in my medium sized system.
bwhittington
kdjupdal wrote:
I would like to have an output module, but I guess this one will not be cheap. What do you use as an output module? I have often used the Q108 vca in my medium sized system.

You raise a fair point. I have a pretty large synth but just patch out of a vca myself. I've never really felt I *needed* a specific output module, and quite the opposite, I prefer to mix outside the modular when recording. But vc panning is its own thing. I use a similar Buchla 207e quite a bit, and having the stereo field at my fingertips certainly makes me focus a lot more on it. I would probably most use a module like this for background gurgles and bloops and would enjoy it immensely for that. Someone else would make better use of VU meters and headphone outputs, perhaps in a live setting, say, but if I can find a place for it, I would like to have one still. Even though it would probably be a sub mix for me.
Dr Gris
I love VU meters and have plenty in my outboard gear in my studio.
Not sure I would need it in my modular.
Do you find it necessary??

Another question...
Since I guess this would be the final output module, what reference level are the VU meters calibrated for?

A bit simplified:
These days a standard VU meter usually reads 0 VU = + 4 dBu = 1,228 Vrms = 3,473 Vp-p
Most of today's modular speaks of 10V peak-to-peak = 3,535 Vrms

I'm not new to VU meters but new to modular.
So what is it you wanna see?
That your levels are good within the system?
That your levels are ok to "meet the outside world" when you connect to a mixer or something...
Or maybe you just love VU meters like I do. love
But mine are all calibrated for today's studio standard (except some vintage junk that wanna see a 600 Ohm load)

//M
EPTC
Hopefully the laptops are on stage to just check email and tweet while performing!

What a drag to have them front and center like that, ha. The VU meters look swank as hell, though. Best to Gert on this. Love his products.
hsosdrum
kdjupdal wrote:
What do you use as an output module? I have often used the Q108 vca in my medium sized system.

Now that my synthesizer can run 4 simultaneous voices without re-patching, I'm using a Q113 8-channel mixer as an output module.

• The VCAs for any voices that need reverb connect to channels 1 – 3, and the channel 1 – 4 output routes to the Q115 reverb.

• VCAs for dry voices connect to channels 5 – 7, and the Q115 reverb return connects to channel 8.

• The channel 5 – 8 output serves as the synthesizer's main output.

This way I can balance up to 4 voices into a single output just by turning the Q113's knobs. Or if I want to run in stereo I can re-patch as required and use the Q113's Ch. 1 – 4 output for the Left Main Out and the Ch. 5 – 8 output as the Right Main Out. It's all the flexibility I need. love

(Until it isn't...) d'oh!
Mark11Audio
josaka wrote:

You're not too good with the way "teaser" is defined I can tell... I've been working in TV News since 2004... Teaser is meant to get you to "stay tuned" in so after the commercial break or a later broadcast will force you to return to see the REAL story and the end result...

This is no different here... "teasers" aren't meant to fully reveal something, they are meant to do just what this has done... evoke a reaction... an interest, it will be revealed in full likely Thursday...

I'm sitting in the Stockholm airport waiting for my flight to Berlin, I will definitely see Gert and Udo Thursday and likely the module...

I'll be sure to get you a nice high res 4k video... ok ???

thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up
Mark11Audio
EPTC wrote:
Hopefully the laptops are on stage to just check email and tweet while performing!

What a drag to have them front and center like that, ha. The VU meters look swank as hell, though. Best to Gert on this. Love his products.

I think Udo said they were running Abelton LIVE last time I asked him about that...

Will let you know by the weekend... applause applause applause applause applause
Mark11Audio
bwhittington wrote:
kdjupdal wrote:

You raise a fair point. I have a pretty large synth but just patch out of a vca myself. I've never really felt I *needed* a specific output module, and quite the opposite, I prefer to mix outside the modular when recording. But vc panning is its own thing. I use a similar Buchla 207e quite a bit, and having the stereo field at my fingertips certainly makes me focus a lot more on it. I would probably most use a module like this for background gurgles and bloops and would enjoy it immensely for that. Someone else would make better use of VU meters and headphone outputs, perhaps in a live setting, say, but if I can find a place for it, I would like to have one still. Even though it would probably be a sub mix for me.

Brian, if you remember, one of the great things we were doing at NAMM with the 543CP was the panning feature... not that everyone needs this, but with bigger systems, it becomes a very useful tool.

I now have a 543CP in my system, and I'm going to have to decide "IF" I need the new module... LOL, and of course I have no more room....

more cabinets?

sell modules to make room ???

The dilemma of 5U and modular systems... LOL hihi

Just ask John Rice... he's still changing modules around... daily !!! LOL d'oh! d'oh! d'oh! d'oh! d'oh! d'oh! d'oh! d'oh! d'oh! d'oh!

I am very fortunate to this year be at Superbooth, I plan on some video interviews (best I can) and maybe do a little reporting back here... as I am sure others will do as well...

thumbs up applause thumbs up It's peanut butter jelly time! nanners It's peanut butter jelly time! nanners Mr. Green screaming goo yo SlayerBadger! Guinness ftw! Guinness ftw! Guinness ftw!
JohnLRice
EDITED: For better pictures and info

Synthtopia posted pictures of the new Moon mixer modules so I swiped copies. cool The new 5U mixer looks to be the same as the CP mixer but stretched out a bit with slightly bigger knobs and a couple big meters! thumbs up Also there is an expander for the mixer for EX send and return. Also there is an FX expander for the CP version.
http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2018/05/02/moon-modular-intros-m543- voltage-controlled-mixer-suite/

But wow . . .price for the 5U mixer is gonna be hard to swallow for many people I think? 949 EUR or about $1,140! eek! (FX expander is an additional 289 EUR or about $350)
hamildad
Mark11Audio wrote:
You're not too good with the way "teaser" is defined I can tell... I've been working in TV News since 2004...

I've been working in TV/Radio news since 2001. Maybe we can meet at Superbooth and discuss how to control our MOSLAB via MOSART commands.

hihi
kindredlost
JohnLRice wrote:

Be still, my beating heart. love

EDIT (warning: thread derailment!)

I like the look of those meters. They remind me of some of the old school gauges on a few machines in my shop.

I have an ancient induction hardening machine (built circa 1930 in Cleveland, Ohio) that still works and has similar looking meters on it, although they are measuring completely different voltage, amperage and watt levels.

Definitely steampunk in styling and most certainly analog. Not a single transistor to be found in it. I know. I have had to rebuild it a couple of times. Talk about hard to find components...

It works on an open coil transformer principle. The secondary winding is extended out to the open air front to be used as a way to induce a magnetic field in the metal parts thus heating them to red hot before quenching in water or oil. The transformer is powered by a large electric motor and generator and has an integrated water cooling system to prevent meltdown. High frequency current is the key. It has a large capacitor bus bar which we actually bolt leads to in order to set the current for the work coil secondary. Real "old-school". No joke.

Some of the levels the gauges have to display...

The fairly large transformer coil with the water jacket hoses...

JohnLRice
kindredlost wrote:
I have an ancient induction hardening machine (built circa 1930 in Cleveland, Ohio) that still works
love "Got Damn My Shaft Is Gettin' Hard!" eek! hihi I had a boss long ago that would say stuff like that on a daily basis. oops I had to Google the machine because I wasn't sure what it does. Here's a somewhat more modern one.
josaka
Mark11Audio wrote:
josaka wrote:

You're not too good with the way "teaser" is defined I can tell... I've been working in TV News since 2004... Teaser is meant to get you to "stay tuned" in so after the commercial break or a later broadcast will force you to return to see the REAL story and the end result...

This is no different here... "teasers" aren't meant to fully reveal something, they are meant to do just what this has done... evoke a reaction... an interest, it will be revealed in full likely Thursday...

I'm sitting in the Stockholm airport waiting for my flight to Berlin, I will definitely see Gert and Udo Thursday and likely the module...

I'll be sure to get you a nice high res 4k video... ok ???

thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up

I am pretty well aware what a "teaser" is smile.. unless you are 50 + and into berlin and hippy visuals.. this is not it.
bwhittington
Mark11Audio wrote:
Brian, if you remember, one of the great things we were doing at NAMM with the 543CP was the panning feature... not that everyone needs this, but with bigger systems, it becomes a very useful tool.

I now have a 543CP in my system, and I'm going to have to decide "IF" I need the new module... LOL, and of course I have no more room....

I thought I was making a pro-panning argument. hihi

The full module looks beautiful, and the expander is a great add. I imagine I should probably get around to making cases with CP rows for the nice density of the CP version, but the VU meters sure are fun!

The tragic flaw of a meticulously planned set of cabinets like yours will always be the next years' release announcements. zombie
bwhittington
BTG
I’m interested, but a little surprised that it doesn’t have balanced outputs at that price with option for +4dbu out. Unfortunately we don’t have many options for stereo vc pan output modules - grove teased one a while ago but we never saw a follow up afaik.
ranix
BTG wrote:
I’m interested, but a little surprised that it doesn’t have balanced outputs at that price with option for +4dbu out. Unfortunately we don’t have many options for stereo vc pan output modules - grove teased one a while ago but we never saw a follow up afaik.

I agree - where's the inverted output?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2