MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

tc electronic Aeon (EBow competitor)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Author tc electronic Aeon (EBow competitor)
GovernorSilver
https://www.tcelectronic.com/Categories/Tcelectronic/Guitar/Stompboxes  /AEON/p/P0DAS

Looks like a promising competitor to the E-Bow, as well as yet another alternative for those who can't get their hands on a Wond/Wond 2 for some reason.
Kent
I was wondering if TC/Music Group had bought the rights to the Wond from Paul Vo.
GovernorSilver
Vo's Wond 2 project is still going along, apparently it is to be renamed to "EM Pick".

Aeon looks like an improved E-Bow and nothing more - no "magnetic pick" feature like the Wonds or the sampling/vocoding thing in Wond II/EMPick
BTS
Is the eBow still under patent? If not, I wonder if we'll see more clones like this.
GovernorSilver
I don't think Heet Sound would have a case for suing tc electronic, based on the appearance and function of the two devices. The EBow has to be held a lot closer to a string, and the grip is different.

But then again I am not a patent lawyer
BTS
GovernorSilver wrote:
I don't think Heet Sound would have a case for suing tc electronic, based on the appearance and function of the two devices. The EBow has to be held a lot closer to a string, and the grip is different.

But then again I am not a patent lawyer

Probably not.

Looking on the eBow website, it says the eBowPlus was introduced in 1998. Assuming that this is a new patent, I'm guessing the patent ran out (since patents only last for 20 years).
GovernorSilver
It could very well be that tc electronic already developed the Aeon years ago, but was waiting for Heet Sound's patent to expire. Too lazy to search the patent database though.
BTS
GovernorSilver wrote:
It could very well be that tc electronic already developed the Aeon years ago, but was waiting for Heet Sound's patent to expire. Too lazy to search the patent database though.

Could be. Only time will tell! cool
pricklyrobot
Does it purport to do anything different from the Ebow, technologically? Or is it just an alternative form-factor/ergonomics?
GovernorSilver
You don't have to hold it as close to the string - that's the difference the tc guy seems to emphasize in the video.

Having to position the EBow perfectly over a string was definitely an annoyance, decreasing the potential for playing music with it, with some spontaneity. Getting an Ebow to drive a string on a bass guitar is even harder - I'm sure Michael Manring put in some hours to develop the skill to EBow his bass in a reliable, repeatable manner.

There are grooves on the Ebow to try to make it easier, as they're supposed to fit the strings that are neighboring the string you want to activate. The Aeon does not appear to have such grooves, as they are not needed.
pricklyrobot
Yeah, just making the Ebow less fiddly could be a significant improvement. I know it always takes me a while to get the hang of it again when I haven’t played mine in a while. And trying to use it with my Bass VI is a little hit and miss.

Might need to check this out...
mateo
Yeah, I've yet to get any decent result on my bass with the ebow, will definitely check this out to compare.
felixer
a usefull mod to the old heet ebow is the get rid of those grooves. the idea was that it might help in getting the right position, but i found it interferes with letting string vibrate once you like to play another one next to it. now you can play chords (sort of) by wiping across several strings. and yes, you'll have to practice ...
Willowhaus
I would like to try one, but I'd have to borrow one I think. wink I have a Wond, and am waiting for my Wond 2 / EM Pick. The Wond does a good job, even though it has its quirks; never could gel with the eBow, and I hate the idea of grooves for the adjacent strings. zombie
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Page 1 of 1