MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Cyndustries.com
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Cyndustries.com
chysn
Sheesh, I'm up at 3am with a terrible cold, and I've stumbled upon this site

http://www.cyndustries.com/

Apparently there was an actual Cyndustries module company at some point ("These aren't your daddy's waveforms", etc.), but now the website contains some of the craziest content on modular synths ever.

It contains references to products that don't exist ("The Cynthia Macintosh is a liquid crystal touch screen controlled video color monitor"), absurd headers that don't match the following content ("Using Testosterone To Evaluate Tones"), strings of non-sequiturs and irrelevant images, totally vacuous bits of pointless information ("Various manufacturers have carved a niche in the modular synthesizer industry complete with a good reputation for manufacturing excellent products"), and sublimely inaccurate definitions ("A semi modular synthesizer is a series of modules from individual manufacturers which transforms a cohesive unit into a gadget").

It's like somebody put a chat-bot in charge of developing a site about modular synthesis. I don't know what it is, but I just love it so much.
felixer
watch out! check some of the post people did after ordering/getting some of her stuff .... she is not a designer (gets others to do that), merely a builder. not a very good reputation!
sduck
Please do a search for cyndustries - you'll find numerous threads about the demise of this person's company.
chysn
I'm aware of the demise of Cyndustries. My post is more about the strange use to which somebody put the company's old domain name.
sduck
I thought there had been a discussion about that in one of the more recent threads, but can't find it now. Yes, it looks like some kind of semi-intelligent bot tried to resurrect the site, kind of half heartedly. Someone should try contacting them, see what happens...
Eric the Red
We were talking about it in the 5U area a little bit ago

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=194121&postdays=0&po storder=asc&start=0
PrimateSynthesis
Maybe the previous domain registration expired? It does seem odd that someone would buy the domain name, especially since the new site doesn't seem to be selling anything.

"Understanding Snappy Envelopes

Many envelopes execute the kick purpose procedure excellently. While Moogs Pittsburgh, and Roland have snappy envelopes, the Tiptop Audio Z4000 envelopes remain among the most snappiest. It comes in handy in percussion sounds due to the absolute control on the front end. Even then, users should strive to ensure it is adequately flexible."

Obviously, it's run by the same person who wrote the old Roland manuals hihi
leftbracket
Quote:
prevalence of an analog oscillator

filter disconnection frequency

patch panels, a single component, or lunar eclipsing units

the plugs allow users to erect a socket within the plug

individuals may decide to remove the modules from the synthesizer closet

the ancient synths were huge and analog

modular patchable synths feature a one note at a time play kind of format

the modular synthesizer, a musical instrument whose popularity began in the ancient days.

lolspew
ranix
there are too many builders with good reputations to take a risk nowadays
peripatitis
PrimateSynthesis wrote:

Obviously, it's run by the same person who wrote the old Roland manuals hihi

+1
cornutt
I'm pretty sure that the current Web site appearing under that name is some kind of search engine optimization.
Rex Coil 7
The current website may be a "placeholder" for the company name in the event that she (he) gets back into business and on them feets (his feet, her feet, I never know how to refer to Brett/Cynthia ... these gender fluid types are difficult to address sometimes). Their may be some kind of lingering hope of getting back at it again later, and the owner doesn't want to relinquish the "brand" to someone that may come along and fire up a company using that domain name.

When I stopped building audio processors, I was reluctant to shut down my website .... I had a shit ton of hours put into creating it and adding technical information and product descriptions. But I got over it and simply shut it down. It felt oddly unnerving at first, but that feeling faded away very nicely after a bit of time. I'm over it now.

So perhaps the existing site is a relic of the now defunct business, and the owner of the business and/or website is reluctant to just LET THE DOMAIN NAME GO.

seriously, i just don't get it

ranix wrote:
there are too many builders with good reputations to take a risk nowadays
Yeeeyup! thumbs up

(not subbed ... if anyone wishes to get ahold of me regarding this or any other subjects or issues, please feel free to PM me!)
KSS
Placeholder, yes. But probably not by Cynthia. Clicks are currency online. Or micro-currency. This is a method to generate clicks and micropayments at low cost.

Typical of domain holding in general. Consider it the online equivalent of a blind mass mailing. Can be quite profitable when large numbers of sites are owned by one entity since these are largely set up automatically using simple algorithms or AI.

Again will emphasize that this is a general online practice, and probably has nothing to do in a business sense with who used to be there. Outside of the desire to place links which relate somehow to the URL or former tenant to better generate clicks.
appliancide
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
The current website may be a "placeholder" for the company name in the event that she (he) gets back into business and on them feets (his feet, her feet, I never know how to refer to Brett/Cynthia ... these gender fluid types are difficult to address sometimes).

The easiest way is to refer to them by their their preferred pronouns. Seems a better option than needlessly injecting your opinion. (nice enough for you mods...seriously wtf?)
namon
The site is quickly replacing muffs for all things synth related. It's the best site on the net.
PrimateSynthesis
KSS wrote:
Placeholder, yes. But probably not by Cynthia.

I agree, as she could write better content in fluent English.
Hovercraft
"Finally, it is important to understand that different music genres require varying settings. For instance if one specializes in hip hop, then they will need to have a longer decay tail, while those who specialize in electronica will have to make do with a shorter one. Remember, modular gives users different options of executing things. Again, one does not need to have prior experience to begin."

--Abraham Lincoln
Dragonaut
"If you feel you are not properly sedated, call 348-844 immediately. Failure to do so may result in prosecution for criminal drug evasion."

It all reminds me of something you'd hear in THX-1138.
SynthBaron
Could be drugs.
Robscorch
appliancide wrote:
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
The current website may be a "placeholder" for the company name in the event that she (he) gets back into business and on them feets (his feet, her feet, I never know how to refer to Brett/Cynthia ... these gender fluid types are difficult to address sometimes).

The easiest way is to refer to them by their their preferred pronouns. Seems a better option than needlessly injecting your opinion. (nice enough for you mods...seriously wtf?)

Here is the reverse issue actually... sometimes they want to be both at different times and this gets confusing. This not so much the case, but one day it's one pronoun the next the other it is usually easier with the names which is what I usually stick with if not my crew which I refer to usually in last name or preferred title. I haven't had one yet, but I'm sure the request will come by, and I will have a Batman on my crew regardless of gender so there is this aspect as well. If you identify as a F-117 guess what that's what you'll get. Only thing I ask them to do is expedite our product from the truck to the shelf and keep my back room organized. Whomever can do this can have the job oh and that little bit about throwing a said number of cases an hour and all.

Middle ground is best ground I have a very "dude" mentality these days about what people what to be addressed as and many other things.

AND of this website certainly has changed since my viewing. Ok looks to rival the Deathstar that is Muffwiggler. Guinness ftw! Dreams... mere dreams Rasta-nana
Gizmo
"His Majesty" is someone's personal pronoun choice. Just saying.
https://www.thecollegefix.com/post/29230/
Knights Who Say Neve
Gizmo wrote:
"His Majesty" is someone's personal pronoun choice. Just saying.
https://www.thecollegefix.com/post/29230/

Is quoting slanted political sources without identifying them as such a violation of the no politics rule? If not, it should be.

Otherwise, this is a no-win scenario - leave it unchallenged (in which case, the political troll wins), or challenge it as coming from an obviously biased and partisan source, and embroil the thread in politics.

Getting pretty tired, personally, of people sneaking politics into threads.
Joe.
Knights Who Say Neve wrote:

Getting pretty tired, personally, of people sneaking politics into threads.

Thanks for reporting it, hopefully it'll get fixed as soon as mods who deal with this subforum are wake.

Nelson Baboon
after a point, the no politics rule can just be ridiculously applied.

do people here really want a stringent 'music only' forum? To be an interesting forum, some discussion of the culture as it relates to music should be allowed.

Some people just get so upset when anything bordering on political comes up, even when it might be on topic, as is some mention of personal pronouns when cyndustries is discussed.

In a forum where some recognition that inclusiveness is good has evolved over the years, this is one of those topics that shouldn't be entirely shut out. We're actually adults.

I think that a bigger danger here is people who become so hysterical when any discussion tangentially becomes political. discussion of how women are treated IS political, and while people became agitated during the discussion, the end result, as far as I can tell, is that things are a bit better here now than they used to be.

I mean, 'joe'/lofi - your disparaging comments about anything leftist are more political than this. Surely people can live with comments about what pronouns should be used in a music forum when referring to people like Cynthia, regardless of whether she dealt dishonestly with people or not.

there were other discussions that were political, but on topic, and (I think) ultimately productive. Forgive me if I forget the name of the musician, but he was arrested for ostensibly soliciting underage boys for sex - but it wasn't really so clear cut. I even got a pm from a mod praising my post on the matter - but hell - it's a political topic.

We're adults. People shouldn't get so freaked out about these technical violations, and most certainly, people shouldn't get so freaked out only about those which might fall on the 'left' side of things.
appliancide
Some people can't help but inject their negative opinions of trans people in threads that have nothing to do with gender or sexuality. Happens with pretty much every thread on Cynthia, as well as Wendy Carlos. Strangely, gender and/or sexuality never come up in discussions of other businesses that have strung people along for long periods of time...Plan B, Farndurk, Magic Smoke, Banalogue, etc.

Cynthia is a bad business person, and has taken advantage of people. Talking about that is fair play, and necessary to ensure others aren't taken advantage of. Wendy Carlos trolls anyone daring to play classical music with a synthesizer. Certainly an interesting topic for a forum for people making music with synthesizers, but it doesn't seem like gender comes into play there...

Allowing a few blowhards to create a hostile environment for trans people in a community where trans people are contributing conversation, music, and products is far worse than any political conversation that I've seen pop up.

Also, everything Nelson just posted is 100% on the money.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3