MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Northern Light Modular - 200h Modules, 2EM - Superbooth
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Northern Light Modular - 200h Modules, 2EM - Superbooth
Synesthesia
Hello !

We are still tipping away with our h format modules - moving from early version prototype to more finish products.

Good progress on the 2EM too ... CV Controlled Evenmidi in the rack wink

- TrommelMaschine is our incarnation of Grids, with added benefit of the midi in
- Voltage Circus and Electric Dompteur are 2 original modules - more info to follow smile

all the h series will be available for DIY through Modular Addict.

Sascha will be at Superbooth and brought some modules with him - so if ever you happen to be there and have any question for us ... have no hesitation !

Synesthesia
livefreela
applause applause applause
sneaky drop on trommelmaschine! terrific names btw...
Synesthesia
livefreela wrote:
applause applause applause
sneaky drop on trommelmaschine! terrific names btw...

wink it's a hell of a lot of fun with the 292 ! thanks!
Precarious
They look great!
Kent
I took the opportunity to have lunch with Sascha and demo the units. These things are very cool and will prove useful to those... that have a use for this kind of thing (me).

These guys are filling a void left by the quasi-disappearance of Eardrill. To wit:

Correlated LFOs and the 2TT to replace/complement the Pendulum/Ratchet.

We discussed a lot about the kits. I found them to be far too generously priced for what one gets. It is pretty amazing. These guys have a lot of interesting plans and ideas.
cygmu
Kent wrote:

These guys are filling a void left by the quasi-disappearance of Eardrill. To wit:

I think that puts it perfectly.
pickleinn
excited to put some of these h modules in my kit. That hTM is awesome!
ArguZ
The idea of our h series is to offer some simpler concepts in bite size to a broader audience.
We are not sure how well the SMD DIY idea flies, but we think it is totally worth trying out.
We will label the kits in three classes.

1. Low different part count - no MCUs - no programming - no small pitch
2. Medium part counts - preprogrammed ICs we supply - no small pitch
3. High part count - MCUs - programming - small pitch

We do a batch of 50 of each of them and see how it goes.
If it runs smoothly we keep it as it is, if not we go to partially pre-assembled boards.

The tools to handle 805 SMD sum up to just a 100$...
And because of the high price of through hole components and their inevitable obsolescence we would like to use this opportunity to get more and more people into the world of SMD DIY.
The plan is that we will run workshops where you pay a fee and can build any kit under guidance.
ritchiedrums
Love This!! love
pickleinn
ArguZ wrote:
The idea of our h series is to offer some simpler concepts in bite size to a broader audience.
We are not sure how well the SMD DIY idea flies, but we think it is totally worth trying out.
We will label the kits in three classes.

1. Low different part count - no MCUs - no programming - no small pitch
2. Medium part counts - preprogrammed ICs we supply - no small pitch
3. High part count - MCUs - programming - small pitch

We do a batch of 50 of each of them and see how it goes.
If it runs smoothly we keep it as it is, if not we go to partially pre-assembled boards.

The tools to handle 805 SMD sum up to just a 100$...
And because of the high price of through hole components and their inevitable obsolescence we would like to use this opportunity to get more and more people into the world of SMD DIY.
The plan is that we will run workshops where you pay a fee and can build any kit under guidance.

I have been doing through hole for about 15 years now and have just started with smd (2oc and 2x TSNM). For the parte on those boards I just used a finer tip on my soldering iron and all worked well. Had a couple of bridged on the dac but easily fixed.

All in all I think with a pair of tweezers and fine solder wire it is actually more enjoyable.
ArguZ
So this would be an example for Level 1

Example BOM , please do not order anything wink

And this would be the board...also not 100% done but to give you guys an idea

The BOM for this is like 25$ for the e-parts and around 20$ for the hardware smile

https://www.mouser.com/ProjectManager/ProjectDetail.aspx?AccessID=1b74 e7cc95

The kits will be like 100$ in the US , so for like 150$ you can build a shiny new h series
jimfowler
very excited for these! infinite thanks for your hard work bringing this stuff to the masses.
pickleinn
Really awesome value. Thank you guys,for doing this. Really exciting to get more options in the buchla format
ArguZ
So yesterday we made the test.

This hVC has been built by a total layman who never had contact with modular before.
He knew how to to solder with an iron but he never touched SMD before.
It took 5-6 hours from scratch and he ended with a 100% working build.

The h bracket in the picture is the one from SAmodular with the 2,5mm metric threads
The front plate is still in prototype engraved state but the layout is final and production has started smile

DomMorley
nanners
Boofin Moonrocks
Noticed that a couple of these were now available on modularaddict, along with a diy version of the 2tt, which was a nice surprise!
ritchiedrums
Video Examples Please Mr. Green
ArguZ
My video agent is on vacation in georgia and he seem to enjoy his free time way to much smile

And yes...we submitted the first h series and the 2TT to MA and they are up for grabs.
We also made build guides which should be suitable even for beginners.
The whole idea of the h series is to get people into the Buchla format for the price of Eurorack..
And that only works by using SMD..we did not want to cheap out on PCBs in 2mm immersion gold and printed alu panels.
But we try to reduce cost of the BOMs and tried to not use rare parts
So you are the judges of that..
The first batch is only 50 pieces each...
Precarious
I just bought one of each kit: 2tt, hTM, hED. I've never assembled so may need to get someone else to do it but couldn't resist.

Is there an easy way to get all the parts onto a list at mouser or do I need to enter them one by one?
hmmm.....
Boofin Moonrocks
ArguZ wrote:
My video agent is on vacation in georgia and he seem to enjoy his free time way to much smile

And yes...we submitted the first h series and the 2TT to MA and they are up for grabs.
We also made build guides which should be suitable even for beginners.
The whole idea of the h series is to get people into the Buchla format for the price of Eurorack..
And that only works by using SMD..we did not want to cheap out on PCBs in 2mm immersion gold and printed alu panels.
But we try to reduce cost of the BOMs and tried to not use rare parts
So you are the judges of that..
The first batch is only 50 pieces each...

Any idea if you plan to make the cardOC available as a diy kit?
Just wondering if I should spring for 2 of the 2oc's or 1 (I planned to use one with a diy Serge system and one with a diy easel, but I'd prefer to go the card route for the easel)
ArguZ
Precarious wrote:
I just bought one of each kit: 2tt, hTM, hED. I've never assembled so may need to get someone else to do it but couldn't resist.

Is there an easy way to get all the parts onto a list at mouser or do I need to enter them one by one?
hmmm.....

Yeah, thank you and check this out :

https://modularaddict.com/nlm-hed-pcbpanel

There is a tab called "Specs & Downloads"
In there you will find the BOM as an google sheet we are updating if necessary.
In the last line is a Mouser cart ready to go.
At the time of creation no items have been on backorder but that might have changed...so you might need to find replacements for some caps or resistors.
We also excluded the pots and trimmers from Mouser as we strongly suggest to buy them at Thonk if you are in the UK or Tayda if you are in the US.
The BOM lists are quite small...and the amount should be in the 30-50$ range.

In the same tab you will find a build guide where each and every step is described and I also took pictures to go with it.

The hVC is a bit delayed as we had trouble with the first batch of front panels. For that money we would only accept and hand over perfect ones we thought...

One thing...if you have Facebook please join our site as we both monitor that group and can answer tech questions directly.
ArguZ
Boofin Moonrocks wrote:

Any idea if you plan to make the cardOC available as a diy kit?

Just wondering if I should spring for 2 of the 2oc's or 1 (I planned to use one with a diy Serge system and one with a diy easel, but I'd prefer to go the card route for the easel)

No, we will keep that one on the "build to order" only list but we just updated the circuit and front panels and have a new batch ready soon.

Regarding the 2OC, there will be a new updated version out soon as well that will add the trimmer controls the cardOC has.
In my opinion, if you have and Easel use the card because of the internal wiring and if you got a big rack use the 2OC because you want two apps running.
jimfowler
Will the updated 2OC be available as a DIY project? The trimmer addition is a great idea!
Precarious
ArguZ wrote:

In the last line is a Mouser cart ready to go.

Oh, nice! Thanks!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2