MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

VCS3 as audio processor
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author VCS3 as audio processor
B-ry
Hello all. I’ve recently become quite fortunate as I’ve entered the world of VCS3. Ive read a bit about the VCS3 and it’s capabilies as an audio processor, especially in the work of Brian Eno.

1) does anyone have suggestions, ideas, sources referring to ways the VCS3 can be used to process audio?

2) Any good examples other than Brian Eno using EMS gear to modify/process audio?

Thank you!
felixer
the only thing i used on my vcs3 (before i sold it, long time ago) was the ringmod. still have an ems freq shifter. the reverb is just a small spring unit. but the filter is usefull too.
stockhausen used a synthi 100/delaware for sirius. and for his sternklang (music for a park) several players used ems synthis (eg the guys from the band intermodulation). prob not by choice but because at that time there was little else in portable synths. esp in england.
prob also used in his concerts at the osaka worldfair.

eno's patches are unducumented but for the older stuff he had a minimoog and the ems. also some guitarpedals (fuzz, phaser). prob used the reverb a lot hihi
edit: he also used a grafic eq. claims that was key to his sounds. and the most important item in his chain.
ersatzplanet
I used my VCS3 as a processor. There are many things you can do but they basically fall into a combination of these three thing:

1) Filtering. Classic filtering with the joystick or other modulation sources for changing the filter frequency. Can be subtle or not depending on the resonate settings.

2) Ring modulation - good for many things but mainly it will almost always change the pitches to a point where they don't match the inputs at all, which can be good and bad. The Ring Mod in the VCS3 and AKS are AC coupled so you can't use them as VCAs except during "movement" in the CV used. This can be cool when using a variable pulse, it will pass audio only during the rise and fall and not on the top or bottom. You can make nice rhythms by chopping the audio in this way.

3) Chopping or gating the audio in. The classic Who "Won't Get Fooled Again" has a compact organ being chopped like this. The envelope shaper running in repeat mode with the joystick controlling the release time and the filter at once, will make a very playable effect.
tardishead
ring mod on drums or percussion
MindMachine
Eno would just set his Synthi A(KS) on an Aux send on the mixer and process all sorts of things through it according to a few interviews he did. He did the same on the Genesis album 'Lamb Lies Down...'.

Try and find the July 1981 Contemporary Keyboard. It has a few clues. He is on the cover w/ Synthi, Mini, Re-201.

The RM and VCF are the obvious and best processors from my recollection. The VCF could do some good Mutron style squaks on bass. I used to run cheap Casio keyboards like an MT-140 through the AKS for some much needed mojo.
chrisso
The audio inputs are great for adding a bit of grit, or can distort.
Also, try miking the speaker.
With these two methods, plus the aforementioned ring-mod, reverb, filtering and gating, the VCS3 becomes a really nice audio processor.
ScubaGeek
MindMachine wrote:
Eno would just set his Synthi A(KS) on an Aux send on the mixer and process all sorts of things through it according to a few interviews he did. He did the same on the Genesis album 'Lamb Lies Down...'.

The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway carries a "Enossification courtesy of Island Records" credit, which made a lot of Genesis fans think Eno did a lot more on that record than he really did. I think one of the band members even admitted that they drew too much attention to Eno's efforts, which as you say, mostly amounted to him treating Peter Gabriel's voice on a couple songs (e.g. Grand Parade Of Lifeless Packaging).

I think King Crimson used the VCS3 or Synthi A to process sounds on their early records too. On the album, Lizard, there's a song called Happy Family (about the break up of the Beatles, incidentally), where the vocal is processed through the ring modulator. There's a couple bits where effect is so extreme, it completely renders the words unintelligible.

And on the live album Earthbound, the lead vocal on 21st Century Schizoid Man is processed through the ring modulator, as is the latter portion of the drum solo on Groon.

Someone mentioned Stockhausen's Sternklang. Many of the musicians involved in the recording and 70's era performances of the piece are credited with playing both an acoustic instrument (such as bassoon or organ) and synthesizer. The booklet that comes with the CD edition (and I think also the gatefold of the original double LP release) has photos showing the musicians using EMS gear. Listening to the recording, I think a lot of them might be processing their regular instruments through the synth filters.
ScubaGeek
[quote="ScubaGeek"]
MindMachine wrote:

The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway carries a "Enossification courtesy of Island Records" credit, which made a lot of Genesis fans think Eno did a lot more on that record than he really did. I think one of the band members even admitted that they drew too much attention to Eno's efforts, which as you say, mostly amounted to him treating Peter Gabriel's voice on a couple songs (e.g. Grand Parade Of Lifeless Packaging).

I think King Crimson used the VCS3 or Synthi A to process sounds on their early records too. On the album, Lizard, there's a song called Happy Family (about the break up of the Beatles, incidentally), where the vocal is processed through the ring modulator. There's a couple bits where effect is so extreme, it completely renders the words unintelligible.

And on the live album Earthbound, the lead vocal on 21st Century Schizoid Man is processed through the ring modulator, as is the latter portion of the drum solo on Groon.

Someone mentioned Stockhausen's Sternklang. Many of the musicians involved in the recording and 70's era performances of the piece are credited with playing both an acoustic instrument (e.g. bassoon or trumpet) and synthesizer. The booklet that comes with the CD edition (and I think also the gatefold of the original double LP release) has photos showing the musicians using EMS gear. Listening to the recording, I think a lot of them might be processing their regular instruments through the synth filters.

On Sirius, the Synthi 100 was used pretty much just as a conventional synth, I think, I don't think he used it to process sound.
bwhittington
Mainly a ring mod patch:

sorry, #politics
Pierrelegere
I can only recommend the Digitana interface, this helps a lot to include the Synthi in a studio enviroment
askthedust
Pierrelegere wrote:
I can only recommend the Digitana interface, this helps a lot to include the Synthi in a studio enviroment

are you refering to the cv interface? Which version do you own? Does it work well to play your synthi with other modular gear?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 1