MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

It's official - Behringer 808...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 13, 14, 15  Next [all]
Author It's official - Behringer 808...
jam457
Interesting article...One thing though is there is no "analog vs digital clock/vco" in cpu timing"....obviously a modern computer is going to have more accurate timing then a 303 but the 303 sequencer is also a computer its just a really old limited one...

the clock in your computer is derived from the electrical vibration of crystal material to create a reference frequency for the system...about as analog as u can get...any timing in-accuracy can be modelled in digital realm either software or hardware...its just never done well it seems...

Someone mentioned the 909...That is a drum machine that is particularly drifty IMO I actually think it kind of sounds bad....obviously people have utilized them for amazing music though...

It feels pretty subjective especially once u get caught up in the music...I kind of think timbre also plays a massive massive roll in the feel of a lot of stuff...like as soon as u adjust the envelope on the 303 it makes the sequence sound a bit different or shift a bit...thats why the 808 always sounds so nice snappy compared to 909....
jam457
lilakmonoke wrote:

https://www.mixcloud.com/secretthirteen/secret-thirteen-mix-073-mark-f ell/

Also this mix is really sweet!
fruitsnake
I love this discussion.

Here's my two cents on drifty clocks... I use an Oberheim DX a lot, and the clock is so unstable that you can't even record two takes of the same sequence (for longer than a minute or so) and layer them on top of each other. It'll sound like you've got some kind of weird flanger going because of the tiny differences in timing.

It's annoying if you want to add layers to a drum track you already recorded, but I do feel like there's something especially funky about the beats when I sequence on the DX as opposed to when I have the DX slaved to a MIDI clock. It's like automatic micro-swing.
Panason
At this point Behringer would get a lot of credit in my books ( and annoy millions of people at the same time! twisted ) if they called it off and proceeded to design an original drum machine using the voice circuits they've already developed, but with full parameter control from the sequencer and a digital drum voice + some FX added in...

But of course why would they take the trouble when they can make teh ez moneys!

Maybe Roland can still stop them?
Monotremata
Panason wrote:
At this point Behringer would get a lot of credit in my books ( and annoy millions of people at the same time! twisted ) if they called it off and proceeded to design an original drum machine using the voice circuits they've already developed, but with full parameter control from the sequencer and a digital drum voice + some FX added in...

But of course why would they take the trouble when they can make teh ez moneys!

Maybe Roland can still stop them?

They are working on their own analog machine. They've got like 5 or 6 planned, including the 808 and 909, and one of them is their very own.

We'll just have to see what they come up with, if they ever get the 808 and 909 out.
Panason
Now it looks like they're teasing an SP2400 drum machine.... this is some mega 80s revival, the Harley Davidson riding mid-life crisis of the music tech world...on a budget.

.........are Harleys still made in the US? twisted
Fallen_lassen
In germany of course. Barley davidson.
Chopper
They are denying the SP2400 thingy....
Flux302
I'll say this...if you REALLY want a drifty clock... send it a drifty clock??? right?

also the sp2400 is not behringer.
Flux302
Panason wrote:
Quote:
how much fun it is to just whip out the box and jam around. You really can't beat that.

Yeah it's fun but if you want to use the machine in a full track you 'll probably have to sample it anyway, so it's more of a toy if it doesn't have meaningful pattern control over MIDI (which it probably won't).

That flux video is disappointing. We need solo bass drum with full decay at various tunings.... without the distortion /transient shaper.

its posts like this that kinda irk me... just know. nothing would please you... why? 1) if I show those various tunings, you are likely to complain "but the 808 doesn't have bass drum tuning so this isn't good enough"
2) if I spent a bunch of time on individual sounds I get the whole "why are you doing this boring shit" debate, followed by the "youtube compression blah blah blah" .
3) I played a snippet of a very well known pattern... and as stated in the video it was literally just to show that the IG videos loose bass...

4) through out much of the video transient shaper and the filter were not used... and there are plenty of other videos with out those features engaged. (not many with it engaged) so I thought I was doing ya a solid.....
can't please the internet.... EVER.
tenembre
Flux302 wrote:
Panason wrote:
Quote:
how much fun it is to just whip out the box and jam around. You really can't beat that.

Yeah it's fun but if you want to use the machine in a full track you 'll probably have to sample it anyway, so it's more of a toy if it doesn't have meaningful pattern control over MIDI (which it probably won't).

That flux video is disappointing. We need solo bass drum with full decay at various tunings.... without the distortion /transient shaper.

its posts like this that kinda irk me... just know. nothing would please you... why? 1) if I show those various tunings, you are likely to complain "but the 808 doesn't have bass drum tuning so this isn't good enough"
2) if I spent a bunch of time on individual sounds I get the whole "why are you doing this boring shit" debate, followed by the "youtube compression blah blah blah" .
3) I played a snippet of a very well known pattern... and as stated in the video it was literally just to show that the IG videos loose bass...

4) through out much of the video transient shaper and the filter were not used... and there are plenty of other videos with out those features engaged. (not many with it engaged) so I thought I was doing ya a solid.....
can't please the internet.... EVER.

It's Panason. That's what he does.
Corrupt
lilakmonoke
so just to make a point i made a showcase track with 4 clocks, all of them drifting ~ 40 ms around a masterclock which also drifts. even the swing drifts in and out if you listen carefully. all the drifts are on sine curves so there is no randomness in it at all.

sounds like three amateurs on downers that have a hard time following anything and are conducted by a drunk ;-) ... anyways i think a modern drum machine needs to be able of something like that.

[s]http://soundcloud.com/lilakmonoke/yamaneko[/s]
mihata
Panason wrote:
this is some mega 80s revival, the Harley Davidson riding mid-life crisis of the music tech world twisted

It is. Will never understand that backward looking mentality in people
col
There is more than one company making violins.
lilakmonoke
Quote:
this is some mega 80s revival, the Harley Davidson riding mid-life crisis of the music tech world twisted

he has a point there, all the best digital stuff is 85-95 as far as im concerned. i doubt they can make the sp2400 sound like a sp1200 though. its much easier to reverse engineer analog than vintage digital but i might be wrong. if they can every wigger on the planet will buy one as the price of the originals is ridiculous.
Panason
Flux302 wrote:

I'm not one of those people. razz Go on, do a video with the bass drum tunings and you will see that nobody here will complain about the video!
shreddoggie
1. No one 'deserves' anything; vintage, clone, reproduction, sharp stick in eye --- nothing (with very few exceptions). To suggest otherwise is the height of insular entitlement. This frenzy we are witnessing is part of the zeitgeist of consume-all-resources / don't give a fuck about anything but yourself / enrich the oligarchs who make no secret of hating you. Congratulations on contributing to their Dune-suit and spaceship funds. They will wear their suits proudly after the meltdown, treading across the bones of those who didn't make the cut - those who 'deserved' something to a greater degree than they were 'obligated' to do something. Fortunately their spaceship plans will fail dismally.

2. B got where they are via despicable practices. This is well documented. Forgetting this like a child who can't sleep on Christmas eve, single-mindedly focused on the new toy they are about to receive is pitiful.

3. If you have kids who still can't sleep on Dec 24th, remember the story of all the things you deserve. You may need to recount it on your deathbed when asked what the fuck happened when you guys were grownups. Make sure to include the part about being a nihilist.

4. Harley Davidson is the longest surviving cosplay business in the United States.

Fallen_lassen
Amen Mr. Green
MindMachine
shreddoggie wrote:

4. Harley Davidson is the longest surviving cosplay business in the United States.

Bailed out by taxpayers more than once too. But not this next time.
coolshirtdotjpg
shreddoggie wrote:
1. No one 'deserves' anything; vintage, clone, reproduction, sharp stick in eye --- nothing (with very few exceptions). To suggest otherwise is the height of insular entitlement. This frenzy we are witnessing is part of the zeitgeist of consume-all-resources / don't give a fuck about anything but yourself / enrich the oligarchs who make no secret of hating you. Congratulations on contributing to their Dune-suit and spaceship funds. They will wear their suits proudly after the meltdown, treading across the bones of those who didn't make the cut - those who 'deserved' something to a greater degree than they were 'obligated' to do something. Fortunately their spaceship plans will fail dismally.

2. B got where they are via despicable practices. This is well documented. Forgetting this like a child who can't sleep on Christmas eve, single-mindedly focused on the new toy they are about to receive is pitiful.

3. If you have kids who still can't sleep on Dec 24th, remember the story of all the things you deserve. You may need to recount it on your deathbed when asked what the fuck happened when you guys were grownups. Make sure to include the part about being a nihilist.

Yeah, I'll tell my daughter on my deathbed "I wish I had pretended to ethically consume under capitalism" very frustrating
Panason
I'm too ethical and environmentally conscious to have kids.

I'm off to GS to troll Uli about this being vaporware. lol
xonetacular
any word?
Red Electric Rainbow
Looks like they’re getting closer.

36replicator
why do people still care about the 808?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 13, 14, 15  Next [all]
Page 10 of 15