MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

It's official - Behringer 808...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 12, 13, 14  Next [all]
Author It's official - Behringer 808...
sduck
Fair warning folks - a number of Behringer related threads have had to be locked because of politics creeping in. Keep this thread locked on the gear, and it can stay open. No politics please - please moderate your own comments BEFORE hitting the submit button.
WaveRider
rizoma wrote:
...original sequencer, like the a/b patterns, the intro/fill in and the autofill in.

I agree that those functions were very useful live and fun... and I expect even more of a sequencer now hihi

I love the sequencer on my cyclone TT78, for a drum machine it is pretty good with many functions too.

I will probably pass on roland clones as I am setup already and kind of wish for new sounds and up to date sequencing.

I am not sure I would bite on a clone of a linndrum or DMX either.
If you could load your own samples into a linndrum or DMX clone maybe.

Would be nice if B makes an original analog drum machine in the spirit of the neuron (the red semi modular).
Yes Powder
I was ambivalent about the Model D and very much taken aback by the Eurorack thing, but this pretty cool!
They're just doing what Roland should've done instead of that TR8 thing.
More like this plz!
Robscorch
And Behringer be like...

Monotremata
WaveRider wrote:

Would be nice if B makes an original analog drum machine in the spirit of the neuron (the red semi modular).

Its in the works too. Along with the Linn/DMX/808/909, they also leaked the RD-999 which is their own analog machine from the ground up. Curious to see it.. Like I said on the FB group thread, I am all over a B 909 when it comes out.. The samples of the 808 sounded good enough, Im sold on the full size case alone. I wanted the TR-9 soooooooo bad, until I actually saw it in person at Noisebug, and laughed that it looked like a toy and was so frustrating to work on with all those tiny knobs crammed together. My Korg SQ-1 is sometimes frustrating enough, the TR-9 goes into overdrive with all the crap they stuck together.. The only advantage it has is you get the plugin for free with it (I have the demo installed and both it and the 808 RULE), but if you've got the hardware, who the hell is gonna use the plugin anyways?
gentle_attack
WaveRider wrote:

Then problemo with doing that is every time an original drum machine pops up, the choir of belly-achers immediately chimes in "but the kick doesn't sound like a punching bag being hit with a bazooka"
"But the snare..."
"But the bass drum..."

And every complaint correlates directly to a highly processed version of the corresponding sound off a 808 or 909. Tempest, Volca, Rytm, Machinedrum... Nord Drum is the only one that seems to get generally high marks all around.

If you're doing electronic music and aren't into sampling or synthesizing your own sounds, the 808 is great for building a beat with, and even better if you multitrack and scuplt the sounds around the melodic parts of your track.
chiasticon
kwaidan wrote:
Although Behringer’s business model is disgusting and unethical, I shed no tears for Roland. The 808 defined a number of genres, yet for years now, the corporation has blatantly ignored what the public wants, relying on the silly argument that an imitation (virtual reality) is better than the original.

100% agree. Roland had all the time in the world to make analog versions of their machines, but never did. even now, they're out-sourcing the analog they're doing. and while I feel for companies like Acidlab, being one-man operations and making solid machines, I will likely get a 909 when they do it. and maybe this 808. they seem to be of at least the same quality that the one man shops can do (based on Model D internals videos I've seen).

I am a little irked with the Odyssey rip off. Korg at least partnered with one of Arp's founders and did it with his blessing. Behringer ripped off the Odyssey on their own and then added a rip off of Korg's sequencer to it, just to throw salt in the wound. the Pro One rip off is also a little annoying, given Dave Smith's contribution in recent years (i.e. he didn't ignore the call for true analog synths like Roland did). but Dave never did remake the Pro One...

anyway, I look forward to hearing more about these machines, as well as the rumored 909, DMX and LinnDrum.
CF3
kwaidan wrote:
For about fifteen minutes, I actually owned a TR-08; however, a simple A/B comparison with my Acidlab sent it back with absolutely no regret.

Although Behringer’s business model is disgusting and unethical, I shed no tears for Roland. The 808 defined a number of genres, yet for years now, the corporation has blatantly ignored what the public wants, relying on the silly argument that an imitation (virtual reality) is better than the original.

Not mention there are already 808 clones, and have been for a long time. I get the argument that Behringer are being “unethical”, but why are some scorned and others revered for clones? People are falling all over themselves praising Black Corp (Sputnik) for Deckards Dream, when it seems to me Roman’s whole business model is exactly what Behringer is doing. And I’m not judging.... personally I could care less except for the hypocrisy.

If this thing is priced right (which I’m sure it will be), they will sell a shit load. They’re literally just giving the people what they want.
Yes Powder
CF3 wrote:
People are falling all over themselves praising Black Corp (Sputnik) for Deckards Dream, when it seems to me Roman’s whole business model is exactly what Behringer is doing. And I’m not judging.... personally I could care less except for the hypocrisy.

It's really a matter of scale.
Behringer is a large multinational company with thousands of employees and a lot of offshore manufacturing power with their hands in virtually every facet of music production equipment
Roman is a guy mainly known within the synth community for making Eurorack clones of Buchla200 modules, who may have a few other employees working under him, if any— I don't know. The point is: he's not worth billions.

When Roman makes a DIY-kit clone a classic out-of-production synth that (let's face it) is never going to be cloned by its original manufacturer just because the thing is a BEAST to construct, that's pretty cool.

When Behringer says they're planning to introduce Eurorack modules to an already oversaturated market that will undercut many small manufacturers that are run by maybe three people at the most, people will rightfully get concerned.
When they release a clone of a synth that's still being handmade by the original company in a worker-owned plant, but instead have their version mass-produced in a Chinese factory with unknown conditions, people will rightfully get upset.
But when they clone a product from another multinational company that has repeatedly ignored customer requests to re-release said product, it's pretty cool and honestly kinda funny.
Robscorch
I agree!

I am growing tired of the debates. Truth be told they are listening and this is powerful regardless of reputation. It appears with the Pro one they are improving the quality and this certainly a vast improvement over many of Behringers other offerings. They learn they adapt they will survive. Others will not this is the nature of business. Roland is to busy with their other markets synths and drum machines are sideline. This is a case where one company is really paying attention and kudos to them.
tesserack
kwaidan wrote:
For about fifteen minutes, I actually owned a TR-08; however, a simple A/B comparison with my Acidlab sent it back with absolutely no regret.

yes Roland did that 'copy it in digital form' with the analog 1981 GR300 synth trumpet sound that Pat Metheny, bill Frisell and John Abercrombie made famous.

Just about every guitar synth product that Roland made after the original analog GR300 had a digital version of a GR300 patch in it.

All missed the Mark of sounding anything close to the original until the VG 99 digital model of the GR300 came out 30 years after the original.

They also included that modeled sound in the GR 55 and the GP10 and it sounded good. Then Roland released the boss SY-300 with a GR300 sound using virtual oscillators that doesn't come close to the original.

The boss sy300 obviously played to that original GR300 image with the mimic name and blue color of the pedal. I was fooled by the advertising hype.

Behringer needs to remake the analog version of the Roland GR300. Roland doesn't seem interested.

Those patents will be expiring soon.

Uri, when you reproduce this,please remember this was a hexaphonic input product. One oscillator, filter circuit etc for each string of the guitar.

Also please include CV outputs for each control point. So that would be 6 CV gate and 6 oscillator outs, Etc. Would be fine if it was made as an optional eurorack module also.

Thanks.
prae
i like the chassis

transient shaper is a good idea too

i'll stick with my yocto but this will undoubtably make many people happy and sell loads

i heard that behringer have more lawyers than engineers
dubonaire
I love the comment from Nick Batt "What do we have here? Something different Pete" which maybe or maybe didn't go over Pete from Behringer's head, I think I saw a wry smile.
Robscorch
dubonaire wrote:
I love the comment from Nick Batt "What do we have here? Something different Pete" which maybe or maybe didn't go over Pete from Behringer's head, I think I saw a wry smile.

All fun and games until Gaz comes to the party. screaming goo yo I would have done the same thing and out the door too.

phesago
UGH

Looks like I might need one lol I wonder if it has the three trigger outs too?
JAO
phesago wrote:
I wonder if it has the three trigger outs too?

It do!
Panason
One BehRINGer to rule them all! It's peanut butter jelly time!

All those speculators charging thousands for an original with questionable life expectancy can go stuff themselves! Once the BR 909 is out too, that ludicrous situation can finally become even more irrelevant.

But of course without MIDI pattern control this will join the growing ranks of saddly crippled drum machines.

This one wil probably be a DRAMA machine. I look forward to reams of comments and arguments about how it doesn't sound as good as the original.
umma gumma
that thing looks great!!

I'll be picking one up, and a 909 if they make that too
Panason
rizoma wrote:
Speaking about this and all of those clones no one seems to care about the original sequencer, like the a/b patterns, the intro/fill in and the autofill in.
I'm so frustrated! very frustrating
I'm the only one who cares?? d'oh!
The sequencer is responsible of the sounds. It's the glue behind it!!! Dead Banana

Who says it doesnt have those?
prae
everyone is getting extremely frothy about this online
ranix
wouldn't pay a penny over $300 for it
Panason
prae wrote:

hihi hihi hihi

Rich kids are upset that the plebs can now sound just as good.
phesago
JAO wrote:
phesago wrote:
I wonder if it has the three trigger outs too?

It do!

It's motherfucking bacon yo It's motherfucking bacon yo It's motherfucking bacon yo It's motherfucking bacon yo It's motherfucking bacon yo
felixer
EPTC wrote:
Yeah I'll admit to finding much of the Behringer D to be a really mean spirited way of behaving as a company, but this is more like it.

seriously, i just don't get it can you tell what the difference is?
felixer
Panason wrote:
prae wrote:

hihi hihi hihi

Rich kids are upset that the plebs can now sound just as good.

yep, that's a part of it .... real analog for the masses hihi
all the same, i never liked the sound of the 808. or 909. there was little else in those days. but then the linn etc came along (sampled sounds) and that was the end of that.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 12, 13, 14  Next [all]
Page 2 of 14