MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

It's official - Behringer 808...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next [all]
Author It's official - Behringer 808...
Sinamsis
I don’t see anything wrong with that statement. If the sequencer has issues (I imagine a software problem), what does it have to do with build or sound quality? It sounds like a fair and well rounded assessment (note I didn’t say accurate as I have no clue). Honestly the commentary here gets more like GS every day.

Also, the Moog One is night and day a different comparison and I can say that because I own one. It’s an amazing instrument and has been from the first day I received it. There were some issues but most real issues were quickly resolved. The fan noise is the only valid complaint (for some) but does not impact me in any way. And that’s the cost of being an early adopter with ANYTHING. It is a profoundly more complex instrument than anything Behringer is putting out, and with this degree of complexity anyone who has any experience would expect some bugs that have to be addressed.
oscilloscope
Panason wrote:
oscilloscope wrote:

My wonder of music forums is endless. This is a quote from a recent GS poster, who after mentioning problems with the unit (sequencing problems) also said: "its built like a tank and it sounds wonderful".

I have actually been thinking about starting a SlutWatch thread in the Off topic forum so that we can build a nice collection of gems from over there. w00t

You misunderstood: it wasn't meant as a criticism of the GS post. It was meant as an illustration on how widely opinions on the very same item can differ.
oscilloscope
Uli Behringer himself communicates regularly on the GS forum. Today on the GS RD808 thread, he announced that they are working on solving software issues for their 808.
missingtwin
Quote:
Right .... Maybe we could reminisce about the $8,000 Moog One synth, released in Oct. 2018 with a truckload of software and hardware problems.
Not all of which fixed as of now, almost a year latter...

At this price, you could just put it in a landfill without much consternation! Why bother expecting more? You got what you paid for...

Hey, better yet, buy two or three, find the one that works best, discard the others. Go humanity!
anselmi
Seems that this guy doesn´t care too much about the problems of thr RD-8
Great performance...40 minutes, non stop thumping beats that sounds like it doesn't need anymore to hit the dance floor.

Panason
oscilloscope wrote:
Uli Behringer himself communicates regularly on the GS forum.

It's a clone.
Sinamsis
Panason wrote:
oscilloscope wrote:

It's a clone.

Well played.
anselmi
Panason wrote:
oscilloscope wrote:

It's a clone.

lolspew
dubonaire
Sinamsis wrote:
Panason wrote:
oscilloscope wrote:

It's a clone.

Well played.

Love it!
missingtwin
Quote:
Seems that this guy doesn´t care too much about the problems of thr RD-8
Great performance...40 minutes, non stop thumping beats that sounds like it doesn't need anymore to hit the dance floor.

and here's a guy banging on actual trash, ready for the dance floor hihi

mgscheue
oscilloscope wrote:
Uli Behringer himself communicates regularly on the GS forum. Today on the GS RD808 thread, he announced that they are working on solving software issues for their 808.

Yep.

“A drum machine of that sort is not trivial and in fact several very experienced engineers worked on the unit for several years and created hundred thousand lines of code.”

An analog drum machine requires hundreds of thousands of lines of code?
dubonaire
mgscheue wrote:
oscilloscope wrote:

Yep.

“A drum machine of that sort is not trivial and in fact several very experienced engineers worked on the unit for several years and created hundred thousand lines of code.”

Lines of code means nothing. Some lines can be one part of one instruction.

What I find fascinating is that people naively take it for granted that the GS username 'Uli Behringer' is actually being used by Uli Behringer and not someone from the company's social media team.
kons
The president of the USA tweets himself on twitter (covfefes and all). Elon Musk often spends hours reading and responding to social media. It's not that inconceivable that Uli does the same in the music gear equivalent social media space.
Panason
If I was Uli I'd be lounging on my private island playing my vintage synths....

Either way, this machine is a disgrace and Behringer couldn't care less. This disrespects one of the most iconic electronic instruments ever by being a cheap plastic imitation. They could have at least put it in a metal enclosure with proper rigid plastic buttons and charged €450 and still sell a buttload, but they had to make it as cheap as possible so that every Tom, Dick & Harry can tell themselves that they now have an 808 "built like a tank" .... eveything loses its meaning in the internet echo chamber.

And, if the target RRP had been higher they could probably have done a better job at the sounds.

The MSN Smack!
Gaetan
mgscheue wrote:
oscilloscope wrote:

Yep.

I am guessing that the code concerns the sequencing part of the machine. I don't doubt it is complex to code (real time computing with tiny margins or error it hard), but it makes me wonder how other brands seem to manage it fine. Wait, I don't wonder : Q&A and testing is expensive, why bother if the customers are going to buy your product anyway and do that part for you ?

This is not specific to Behringer (or even music), but as much as I appreciate being able to easily update software nowadays, I hate how that has become an excuse to release products way too early.
dubonaire
kons wrote:
The president of the USA tweets himself on twitter (covfefes and all). Elon Musk often spends hours reading and responding to social media. It's not that inconceivable that Uli does the same in the music gear equivalent social media space.

It's normal for exec social media accounts to be handled by media teams. Everyone knows this, don't they???

I didn't say it was inconcievable, I said it was naively presumptuous.

The difference between Uli and POTUS is Uli manages his company. POTUS just tweets rubbish. Even then is it always him? How can we know?

Then you have the influencial lunatic fringe tweeting while smashed. That's a different story. Well almost.
Licudi
Panason wrote:
this machine is a disgrace and Behringer couldn't care less.

What's the knockoff scoresheet now? Consensus seems to be that the Model D and VC340 are good, mixed reviews for the MS-1 and thumbs-down for the RD-8 and June-60.
chiasticon
Gaetan wrote:
I am guessing that the code concerns the sequencing part of the machine. I don't doubt it is complex to code (real time computing with tiny margins or error it hard), but it makes me wonder how other brands seem to manage it fine.

System 80 recently released an 808 clone. entirely developed by one guy. apparently he's a way better coder than anyone Behringer can hire (and he's actually a former molecular biologist, or something). Acidlab is probably the same deal: one guy developing the whole thing. not sure how many people worked on Nava and Yocto...

I get it that it's way easier to just copy the circuit boards than it is to come up with code to copy functionality. but a sequencer is not that complicated, and many people have done it.
Panason
Licudi wrote:
Panason wrote:
this machine is a disgrace and Behringer couldn't care less.

What's the knockoff scoresheet now? Consensus seems to be that the Model D and VC340 are good, mixed reviews for the MS-1 and thumbs-down for the RD-8 and June-60.

Yeah that's the current score pretty much. The K-2 (MS20 clone) and Bro-One are promising, judging by early demos....but I think I'll save my pennies for more novel things.
The whole pseudo-clone thing is an idiotic waste of resources to quench the Gearlsutz nostalgia beggars. Make some original stuff, FFS.
Sinamsis
I'm a nostalgia beggar and I'm totally good with reasonably priced clones. I have the VC 340 and it's pretty good. I don't think I would pay asking price for a VP 330, but I've always wanted one. Now I have something that's close enough. I also have a Deepmind 12. I've had it for the past year or so and I just haven't really gotten into it. I think the sound is decent and it's a nice option to have. But some of the programming involves menus and I just haven't totally gotten the hang of it. I can't really bring myself to sell it because it's a decent sounding 12 voice poly and I think I paid $400 for it (I have the desktop). I also really like using it for the carrier for my Fumana. BTW, the Fumana completely killed my urge to find another vocoder. I really did buy the VC 340 strictly out of nostalgia and I have no qualms with that. If they really make a clone of the CS80 you better f'ing believe I'm buying that too. People have been asking for these things for a long time now and someone stepped up the plate. It's not creative (though maybe it is to some degree when it comes to having to completely redesign a circuit to be produced on a large scale and on a budget). But it is gratifying for some. Ha it's like when I put together four on the floor dance oriented stuff with very little thought; I don't feel like I've done anything authentic, particularly creative or remotely artistic. But damn it feels good and it's fun.

I'm still holding out on this one. Mainly because of guilt over owning "too much" Behringer gear, guilt over owning too much gear in general, and an uncertainty of wether I would rather have this or a Yocto. Honestly, both of these fall short for me, as I really would like CC control and that's not an option with either of them.
Man-In-A-Suitcase
Panason wrote:
Make some original stuff, FFS.

Well you better get your crayons out and design something original and mail it off to Uli, you never know he might hire you for his creche department.
computer controlled
Panason wrote:

They already have. d'oh!
Fallen_lassen
Yeah. The tweakalizer. Miley Cyrus
Panason
Man-In-A-Suitcase wrote:
Panason wrote:

Well you better get your crayons out and design something original and mail it off to Uli, you never know he might hire you for his creche department.

I actually PMed the GS "Uli B......." account with a sequencer/ controller concept (based on the Zaquencer which runs on their BCR 2000).
It didn't reply, LOL. It must have determined by a quick analysis of social media and Gearslutz posts that the demand for an advanced hardware sequencer/ controller thing that makes no sound is far below that of the need for 70s synth pseudo-clones.
CosmicFlight
Talking 808 clones, the best sounding one is 8RAW8 by Florian, no sequencer but 100% 808 sounds
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next [all]
Page 14 of 15