It's official - Behringer 808...

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: luketeaford, lisa, Kent, Joe.

CosmicFlight
Common Wiggler

Post by CosmicFlight » Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:02 pm

chiasticon wrote:
Gaetan wrote:I am guessing that the code concerns the sequencing part of the machine. I don't doubt it is complex to code (real time computing with tiny margins or error it hard), but it makes me wonder how other brands seem to manage it fine.
System 80 recently released an 808 clone. entirely developed by one guy. apparently he's a way better coder than anyone Behringer can hire (and he's actually a former molecular biologist, or something). Acidlab is probably the same deal: one guy developing the whole thing. not sure how many people worked on Nava and Yocto...

I get it that it's way easier to just copy the circuit boards than it is to come up with code to copy functionality. but a sequencer is not that complicated, and many people have done it.
Talking 808 clones, the best sounding one is 8RAW8 by Florian, no sequencer but 100% 808 sounds

xradii
Common Wiggler

Post by xradii » Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:08 pm

The only other drum machine I"m interested in is the Alpha Base but I'm not sure I'm willing to pay $2,000 for one.... :confused: ....For $350, I'll definitely buy an RD-8 to see how well it sounds in person and not on YouTube...but I'm a true masochist, I need another Octatrack first. :lol:

Panason
is banned
is banned

Post by Panason » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:02 am

Uli Behringer presents : "My first drum machine"... :lol:

[video][/video]

Featuring the smash hit "It will probably be fixed with a firmware update!" cheerfully chanted by millions daily!

nectarios
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nectarios » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:37 am

My mate got one. Its loads of fun, some careful level set up is needed and a compressor for that matter, but it sounds great, the tune on the kick along makes it worth getting over the original.

Its insane to have all those individual outputs, functionality, sound for that price.

Man-In-A-Suitcase

Post by Man-In-A-Suitcase » Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:50 am

Panason wrote:Featuring the smash hit "It will probably be fixed with a firmware update!" cheerfully chanted by millions daily!
I hear alexi Sayle is re-releasing his smash hit

"Ullo Behringer got a new update?"

Panason
is banned
is banned

Post by Panason » Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:28 pm

I suppose it could be used as a drum module and sequenced externally.... when the double-triggering bug gets fixed with that update :twisted: :deadbanana:

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:41 pm

Panason wrote:I suppose it could be used as a drum module and sequenced externally.... when the double-triggering bug gets fixed with that update :twisted: :deadbanana:
I probably would have preferred a sound module alone with more extensive MIDI implementation.

The Grump
Veteran Wiggler

Post by The Grump » Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:02 pm

CosmicFlight wrote: Talking 808 clones, the best sounding one is 8RAW8 by Florian, no sequencer but 100% 808 sounds
Looks dope, sounds awesome in the demo vid, but I can't see a price listed. Any idea what they're asking for it?

rowsbywoof
Ultra Wiggler

Post by rowsbywoof » Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:46 pm

Little complaints aside, this thing sounds incredible for the around $300 they're asking for it. It might not be a perfect 808 clone, but it's damn near close to one, full analog, and at the price of the Roland Boutique. If I was in the market for an 808 it would be really hard to justify picking up one of the alternative over the "BR-808".

h4ndcrafted
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by h4ndcrafted » Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:10 pm

Anybody bought one in the U.K. that came with the right plug ?

808s are fun to jam, but I find them boring as hell. I ordered this because it seems more fun for little outlay, we shall see.
We don't want to conquer space at all. We want to expand Earth endlessly. We don't want other worlds; we want a mirror.

vromr
Common Wiggler

Post by vromr » Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:41 pm

Assuming they were the same price, would you go for a Behringer RD8 or a Yocto? From an interface perspective, Yocto buttons seem more tactile and fun to press than the flat switches on RD8.

h4ndcrafted
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by h4ndcrafted » Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:23 pm

vromr wrote:Assuming they were the same price, would you go for a Behringer RD8 or a Yocto? From an interface perspective, Yocto buttons seem more tactile and fun to press than the flat switches on RD8.
I’ll let you know when I get mine. I’ve read that the Yocto sounds a bit more true to the original. It’s so marginal here, does it even matter.
The Yocto switches in the Erica case I had were very tactile and easy to swipe along too. I’d probably go for the mark 2 Yocto , but the user interface is bland af on the original. I sold mine because of that. The RD is way more fun on paper, we shall see.
Yocto 1 was fun to jam , but seq wise it was a snooze.
We don't want to conquer space at all. We want to expand Earth endlessly. We don't want other worlds; we want a mirror.

Alphaman
Common Wiggler

Post by Alphaman » Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:47 pm

3hands
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by 3hands » Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:57 am

I may have to grab one of these at some point. I picked up the Roland TR09 and it’s great for what I need. I am debating between this and the Roland it it seems this is winning by a long run. No cuddly size, fiddly knobs and Buttons that are spaced to close together etc...I’m very interested in hearing from people who have some experience on the Behringer, as it all comes down to sound and workflow for me.
Gum is fun, but not on a cat.

My minds an art gallery.

h4ndcrafted
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by h4ndcrafted » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:05 am

My settings to make that kick sing, too bad the sends bypasses individual outs.

Doesn’t sound quite as dynamic as my Yocto did, but even without the high pass and shaper, the kicks decay is way better.

If the 909s as good as this , oh baby.

3hands
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by 3hands » Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:00 pm

h4ndcrafted wrote:Image

My settings to make that kick sing, too bad the sends bypasses individual outs.

Doesn’t sound quite as dynamic as my Yocto did, but even without the high pass and shaper, the kicks decay is way better.

If the 909s as good as this , oh baby.
Thank you sir. I will be ordering one ASAP
Gum is fun, but not on a cat.

My minds an art gallery.

tenembre

Post by tenembre » Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:06 pm

Chopper
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Chopper » Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:41 pm

So, people you made the plunge and got one, could you please list the rumoured bugs? I am still hesitant...

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:35 pm

Chopper wrote:So, people you made the plunge and got one, could you please list the rumoured bugs? I am still hesitant...
Fake mugwump jism apparently.

bitflip
Ultra Wiggler

Post by bitflip » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:47 pm

I can confirm it has the clapverb :yay:

h4ndcrafted
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by h4ndcrafted » Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:12 am

Chopper wrote:So, people you made the plunge and got one, could you please list the rumoured bugs? I am still hesitant...
Had one where the kick would randomly not play, even when probability was off, but an update soon fixed that.

Haven’t used it extensively yet, but none so far. Tbh Behringer are on it with the updates, my odyssey had a couple for two days, which they fixed.
I think they know people will be watching and unforgiving , so seem pretty pro active.
Have the odyssey, 808 and boog now, no complaints. I will still continue to buy more expensive synths, but a chance to have a good clone of the classics is too much to pass up.
Waiting for the 2600!

Actually owning a Boog made me appreciate the quality and sound of the Micromac I had. Micromac was so easy to tune, the Boog, not so much. Infact the Micromac beats the Moog/Boog in a lot of areas , save bass.

ignatius
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ignatius » Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:34 am

wild guess that's baseck killing it.

[video][/video]

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:36 am

ignatius wrote:wild guess that's baseck killing it.

[video][/video]
Did the tank top tip you off?

Chopper
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Chopper » Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:22 pm

h4ndcraftedThanks a lot, that all i wanted to hear.

bitflip
Ultra Wiggler

Post by bitflip » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:53 am

Been monkeying about with this since getting off work 7 hours ago and all i can say is wow. Like the model D and neutron, solid build and sound. Fuckin' a :yay:

I've only scratched the surface and am not an 808 power user by any means, so my complaints aren't necessarily developed or insightful, however it really would have been nice if they had put the wave designer and filter in the headphone path. They're in the main path though, so i'm bitching about having more :oops:

Considering arranging the buttons in the classical configuration. Would this be sacrilege?

Return to “General Gear”