MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Metabolic Devices - Coherence
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author Metabolic Devices - Coherence
ben_hex
matttech wrote:
ookrsia wrote:
Unfortunately, it might say something about the Eurorack scene that (to my knowledge) this module was at the Superbooth and still none of those Eurorack/synth Youtubers made even a brief video about this.

Really looking forward to seeing even a basic demo of this module.

But maaaan, those guys (divkid, sonicstate etc..) worked SERIOUSLY hard throughout the event to bring out a shedload of videos. We can all agree that yes? seriously, i just don't get it

I doubt very much that there was any intentional sidelining going on (maybe that wasn’t your point though..) - there is just SO much to cover at this event.

Just came onto here to check this out, I didn’t see it at superbooth at all to be honest. I made 61 videos and there were 250 exhibitors, it’s a tonne of work that wipes me out for a good while afterwards. Some posting around here, Facebook, Instagram, getting some out to testers that are allowed to post around social media would have got this onto my radar and I’d have been looking at the event for it. Anyway ...

This looks great, definitely keen to see more of it. Anything to encourage some experimenting with pulling information out of existing sources is a good thing.
ookrsia
matttech wrote:
ookrsia wrote:
Unfortunately, it might say something about the Eurorack scene that (to my knowledge) this module was at the Superbooth and still none of those Eurorack/synth Youtubers made even a brief video about this.

Really looking forward to seeing even a basic demo of this module.

But maaaan, those guys (divkid, sonicstate etc..) worked SERIOUSLY hard throughout the event to bring out a shedload of videos. We can all agree that yes? seriously, i just don't get it

I doubt very much that there was any intentional sidelining going on (maybe that wasn’t your point though..) - there is just SO much to cover at this event.

I really do appreciate the work these guys do! Especially knowing how little views they at times get for so much work (if the module/device just isn't "sexy" enough for the masses.)

Fortunately for us Hainbach commented in the comments of his newest video (link he posted on the previous page) that he is interested in possibly making a video focused just on this module!
desolationjones
The product page has great mouse-over tips for each function of Coherence. I'm going to copy and paste them here for posterity and for those without access to the site for whatever reason:

input 1 wrote:
Coherence works best with sloped signals. They can be periodic for a constant stream of output, but one-shots can also be used to great effect.

Coherence will work with rectangular signals, however they can lead to less predictable results, due to the extremely fast rise and fall times.

attenuverter wrote:
Adjust the amount and polarity of Input 1.

Combined with the dc offset control, this can help set where in the overall voltage range coherence occurs. This also helps set the range of the pitch events, so if you want notes to be lower in pitch, try adding a negative offset.

dc offset wrote:
Bias input 1 with a dc offset between +/-5v.

Combined with the attenuverter, this can help set where in the overall voltage range coherence occurs. This also helps set the range of the pitch events, so if you want notes to be higher in pitch, try adding a positive offset.

input 2 wrote:
If you have only one signal, put it here because you can vary the dc offset on input 1 to change the response.

Coherence works best with sloped signals. Coherence works best with sloped signals. They can be periodic for a constant stream of output, but one-shots can also be used to great effect.

It will work with rectangular signals, however they can lead to less predictable results, due to the extremely fast rise and fall times.

This input also drives the direction detection circuit.

input swap button wrote:
This button swaps the signals connected to Input 1 and Input 2, just like if you swapped the cables but a lot faster!

coherence wrote:
Set how far apart the inputs can be (in Volts) to be considered coherent

This control has a custom taper to provide higher resolution for smaller values.

coherence cv input wrote:
Signals to modulate coherence go here. This can have a strong effect on the output so use of the attenuverter is advised.

Sloped modulations sources offer gradual changes to the output, but rectangular signals can offer abrupt changes. When timed correctly, these abrupt changes can be much like switching between Verse and Chorus in traditional song form.

coherence cv attenuverter wrote:
Adjust the amount and polarity of the Coherence CV Input.

Critical for getting just the right kind of variation.

coherence output wrote:
The Coherence output goes high (5v) when the distance between Input 1 and 2 (in volts) is less than the Coherence value.

incoherence output wrote:
The Incoherence output goes high (5v) when the distance between Input 1 and 2 (in volts) is greater than the Coherence value.

pitch trigger sources wrote:
1. A new pitch will be triggered every time the Divider outputs a gate.

2. A new pitch is triggered every time the inputs are equal.

The first time the inputs are equal, the pitch change will be synchronous with the transition where 1/2 output goes low and 2/2 output goes high.

Input signals can be equal many times while they are coherent and each one will trigger a new pitch. This is more likely to happen when the inputs are complex waveforms.

Note that signals can be coherent without ever becoming equal.

3. A new pitch will be triggered every time the direction of input 2 changes (subject to the input swap button).

While still derived from the input, this trigger source is the least related to coherence events.

Press and then release at the button at the same time as the other Pitch Trigger sources to enable them at the same time. The more trigger sources enabled, the more often the pitch will change and you can sometimes have many pitch changes during a single coherence event.

pitch output wrote:
The Pitch (stepped CV) jack outputs a new value every time the Sample & Hold is triggered.

The Sample & Hold is triggered any or all of the 3 pitch trigger sources.

pitch range wrote:
The Range control adjusts the range of pitches.

Pitch values are calculated from a variety of factors but its largest influence is where the input values are at the moment the S&H is triggered.

If the triggers are happening when the input signals are at a high amplitude, the pitch output may also have a high voltage. You may want to reduce the range in this case.

If however the triggers are occurring at lower voltage levels, you may want to set the knob to the right for some amplification.

pitch trigger output wrote:
This is your rhythm source if you want a (5v, 2ms) trigger pulse every time there's a new pitch.

Any or all of the trigger sources may be enabled at once and can make for complex and interesting trigger streams.

divider buttons x 8 wrote:
Sets the number of Coherence gates before the counter outputs a gate.

The maximum value of 16 can be achieved by pressing, then releasing multiple buttons at the same time or in combination with the CV input.

counter cv input wrote:
Signals to modulate the divide value go here.

Every .625V increases the value by 1 and gets summed with the setting of the counter buttons for a maximum count of 16.

counter reset button and cv input wrote:
This button resets the counter on press and holds the reset as long as the button is pressed.

This can act like a momentary bypass of the counter, so every coherence gate comes out of the counter output.

Hold it down for a nice one measure break, or automate it with the cv input for regular variation.

1/2 output wrote:
Goes high (5v) when the counter output goes high. Goes low when the Inputs are equal or when signals are no longer coherent (if they never reach equilibrium).

2/2 output wrote:
Output goes high (5v) when both inputs are equal, and stays high until inputs are no longer coherent.

In many cases, this output works as a gate that lasts for the 2nd half of the coherence gate at the counter output.

divider output wrote:
This is the Coherence gate output, after it's processed by the counter.

A coherence gate is output every time the counter is reset.

The length of this gate is equal to the length of 1/2 + 2/2 outputs.

remainder output wrote:
Outputs a gate every time the dividers count increases but doesn't output.

If the divider is set to 4, the first gate outputs on the divider output and the next 3 come out here.

If the divider is set to one, a gate never comes out here.

A fun kind of see saw game can be played by modulating the divide value and patching the Divider gate and Remainder gate to different voices, perhaps drums.

As the Divider value increases, more events come out the Remainder output and less from the Divider output. As the value decreases, the ratio reverses itself.

There's also a case study with graphical examples.

My interest in this module increases in tandem with my understanding of its functions! The only vague variable left is pitch, whose "values are calculated from a variety of factors"...
mdoudoroff
I love the ideas here, which I think fit into what modular is best at, but the price that’s bandied about is cry

An all analog design... why?
ookrsia
mdoudoroff wrote:
I love the ideas here, which I think fit into what modular is best at, but the price that’s bandied about is cry

I have yet to see any bandying! What is thy source kind sir?
desolationjones
ookrsia wrote:
mdoudoroff wrote:

I have yet to see any bandying! What is thy source kind sir?

https://www.perfectcircuitaudio.com/metabolic-devices-coherence.html
Hainbach
mdoudoroff wrote:

An all analog design... why?

I'd say because there is no latency, you can use it at audio rates and probably even for video synthesis. I really prefer anything that has to do with clocks to be analog, e.g. Pittsburgh Timetable is still my favorite divider. Sounds tighter to me and can be more extreme.
lisa
[quote="Hainbach"]
mdoudoroff wrote:
Sounds tighter

Yeah, and warmer. Dead Banana
Knights Who Say Neve
metabolicdevices wrote:

[/list]Words often limit our thoughts to known structures and we want to encourage people to explore and intuit new territories.

This is bullshit. Removing words from panels is not a gateway to a land of wondrous possibilities; it's deliberate obfuscation, and the cultivation of confusion as a virtue. Such cultivation is destructive to democratic society. Ignorance is not strength.
R.U.Nuts
Knights Who Say Neve wrote:
metabolicdevices wrote:

[/list]Words often limit our thoughts to known structures and we want to encourage people to explore and intuit new territories.

This is bullshit. Removing words from panels is not a gateway to a land of wondrous possibilities; it's deliberate obfuscation, and the cultivation of confusion as a virtue. Such cultivation is destructive to democratic society. Ignorance is not strength.

Well, people got along with musical instruments without labels and letterings for quite a long time. But yeah, pianos, guitars, trumpets and the like were around long before democracy was invented seriously, i just don't get it

I'd rather say put an end to those mini-shaft / tall trimmer pots. They're the devil.
peripatitis
R.U.Nuts wrote:
metabolicdevices wrote:

Well, people got along with musical instruments without labels and letterings for quite a long time. But yeah, pianos, guitars, trumpets and the like were around long before democracy was invented seriously, i just don't get it

I'd rather say put an end to those mini-shaft / tall trimmer pots. They're the devil.

They don't have symbols either though, the two cases are obviously not related.
A modular has to function within a modular environment and unless metabolic devices are going to create a complete universe of their own they just add to the unnecessary confusion. Abstract meanings given to colors for example can in no way replace words for a meaningful message.
Anyway it is what it is, still I don't see democracy being in danger by metabolic device's schemes...smile
mdoudoroff
Hainbach wrote:

I'd say because there is no latency, you can use it at audio rates and probably even for video synthesis. I really prefer anything that has to do with clocks to be analog, e.g. Pittsburgh Timetable is still my favorite divider. Sounds tighter to me and can be more extreme.

Interesting. Perhaps you can show off some audio rate potential in your forthcoming demo?
mdoudoroff
metabolicdevices wrote:

On the one hand, I kind of agree that the statement is bullshit on its own merits. But would you say this is bullshit, too? lol

R.U.Nuts
peripatitis wrote:
R.U.Nuts wrote:
metabolicdevices wrote:

A modular has to function within a modular environment and unless metabolic devices are going to create a complete universe of their own they just add to the unnecessary confusion. Abstract meanings given to colors for example can in no way replace words for a meaningful message.
Anyway it is what it is, still I don't see democracy being in danger by metabolic device's schemes...smile

On a second thought you're right: The explanation Metabolic Devices delivers for not text-labelling the controls sounds pretty bullshitty indeed. But I still think you don't necessarily need text labels on modules. On the classic layout with panel controls at the top and jacks in an arbitrary order at the bottom you'll need labels. But for example Makenoise design their modules in a way that labels become redundant once you spent a while wiggling with them since they're laid out in a fashion that is somewhat self-explainatory. For example: A CV-input is always located next to the corresponding manual control. And in between the two theres's the correseponding CV-attenuator. Attenuator is a small white knob, panel control is big and blue. Everything is connected visually by lightning bolts. Miley Cyrus No text needed. I think Metabolic did a similarely good job with the design of coherence even though it is not coherent with the design of Makenoise.
Hainbach
mdoudoroff wrote:
Hainbach wrote:

Interesting. Perhaps you can show off some audio rate potential in your forthcoming demo?

Just playing around with audiorate and its a lot of fun! The divide buttons make it playable like a mini-keyboard.
Hainbach
COHERENCE at audio rates demo:
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bkk41kgg4Yp/?taken-by=hainbach101
Cortega
Hainbach wrote:

are the Maths Envelopes the Audio Source ?
MARK27
Quote:
On the one hand, I kind of agree that the statement is bullshit on its own merits. But would you say this is bullshit, too?

Not if you can read Russian.

не впаривай мне дерьмо!

MY ASS IS BLEEDING
lisa
Scratched it from my list of interesting modules. Posh logic for 400+ euros is just a bit too rich for me, sadly. waah
R.U.Nuts
lisa wrote:
Scratched it from my list of interesting modules. Posh logic for 400+ euros is just a bit too rich for me, sadly. waah

"Posh Logic" would be a cool name for a module. I'd probably pay 400 bucks for it Miley Cyrus
Hainbach
Cortega wrote:
Hainbach wrote:

are the Maths Envelopes the Audio Source ?

One envelope is audio rate, one is a slower pulse.
Hainbach
lisa wrote:
Hainbach wrote:
Sounds tighter

Yeah, and warmer. Dead Banana

I did not say that. I was talking latency and what happens at extreme settings such as audiorates.
Hainbach
Coherence for automatic accompaniement: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bk7JhFtAilc/?taken-by=hainbach101
Knights Who Say Neve
R.U.Nuts wrote:
peripatitis wrote:
R.U.Nuts wrote:
metabolicdevices wrote:

On a second thought you're right: The explanation Metabolic Devices delivers for not text-labelling the controls sounds pretty bullshitty indeed. But I still think you don't necessarily need text labels on modules. On the classic layout with panel controls at the top and jacks in an arbitrary order at the bottom you'll need labels. But for example Makenoise design their modules in a way that labels become redundant once you spent a while wiggling with them since they're laid out in a fashion that is somewhat self-explainatory. For example: A CV-input is always located next to the corresponding manual control. And in between the two theres's the correseponding CV-attenuator. Attenuator is a small white knob, panel control is big and blue. Everything is connected visually by lightning bolts. Miley Cyrus No text needed. I think Metabolic did a similarely good job with the design of coherence even though it is not coherent with the design of Makenoise.

Good point - I'm not a huge fan of Make Noise designs, but there is a logic to the panel art that can be picked up on. My comment (which was pretty over the top, admittedly) was about Metabolic's explanation, not the design itself.
Hainbach
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 3 of 4