MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Metabolic Devices - Coherence
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author Metabolic Devices - Coherence
guestt
This totally deserves it's own thread, for full explanation check out the excellent website:

Navs wrote:
My pal Erik, designer of the Koma Poltergeist, is presenting his new modular company Metabolic Devices:

https://metabolicdevices.com

The first module is an analogue pattern and event extractor called 'Coherence'. Feed it two moving voltages to derive new, related CVs and gates. Totally jammable and 'Made for Maths', so to speak:

https://metabolicdevices.com/Coherence/#Coherence.panel

Disclosure: I was paid in beer for this advert beer! hihi
Paranormal Patroler
lol This module (and Eric) has been one of the highlights of SB18 for me so far!
guestt
Yeah - it's a very refreshing take on some very cool ideas!

Looking forward to the video demonstrations no doubt coming soon wink
Paranormal Patroler
Missed you at SB Baddcr
Hainbach
Played with it for almost an hour at Superbooth while Eric was getting some food - tons tons of fun! The case he has there is a bit sparse for all the possibilities of this module, but I managed to get some 90ies braindance melody/harmonies/beats going on quickly. This is a wonderful idea-giver, something to listen to and tweak until magic happens.
myecholalia
Hainbach wrote:
Played with it for almost an hour at Superbooth while Eric was getting some food - tons tons of fun! The case he has there is a bit sparse for all the possibilities of this module, but I managed to get some 90ies braindance melody/harmonies/beats going on quickly. This is a wonderful idea-giver, something to listen to and tweak until magic happens.

High praise indeed.
Wondering how to best integrate this in my small 1 row system and what sound and modulation/trigger sources to pair it with.
The playability is super interesting to me.
guestt
Hainbach wrote:

I love this kind of thing, but hate them at the same time, always for the same reasons: the ideas and happy accidents are wonderful and this is what I love, but the ability to tweak in a direction I want to go in is often lacking, how does it fare on this side of things?

Likewise Paranormal Patroler, hope you and everyone there is having an awesome time - have a SB beer for me - cheers Guinness ftw!
Hi5
Looks fun but damn I need some kind of labeling.
TemplarK
Love the idea behind this module, i'll probably get it, one thing though all that space on the front panel and maker decides to use those horrible little potentiometers that don't require a proper knob, they are not nice to use and you can't be that accurate with them i find, maybe its not too late to change that?
acgenerator
I think the description needs to be a little more clear...
what it looks like is this:

If signal A and B are within a set voltage difference -> conherent
If further apart -> incoherent

When coherent, the first coherent output is used until A=B. The second output is used until incoherent.

Is that correct?
hyena
both this and the 2win seem really brilliant!
bobbcorr
Added to modulargrid at https://www.modulargrid.net/e/other-unknown-coherence-correct-panel
Paranormal Patroler
Don't worry, I removed the first one.
gummyboy
very interesting!!!!
Hainbach
Baddcr wrote:
Hainbach wrote:

I love this kind of thing, but hate them at the same time, always for the same reasons: the ideas and happy accidents are wonderful and this is what I love, but the ability to tweak in a direction I want to go in is often lacking, how does it fare on this side of things?

Likewise Paranormal Patroler, hope you and everyone there is having an awesome time - have a SB beer for me - cheers Guinness ftw!

I got very repeatable results when playing. My favorite generative module is the Noisering and it gets hard to have repeatable results. Not so this thing. If I went at it today I am confident I could get the same results as yesterday.
Navs
Hainbach wrote:
... I got very repeatable results when playing. My favorite generative module is the Noisering and it gets hard to have repeatable results. Not so this thing. If I went at it today I am confident I could get the same results as yesterday.

That's the clever thing about it: it is reading your input voltages, so if they remain consistent the results are repeatable. Use a PEG, for example, and lock/sync the relationship between the slopes. The variation can then come from modulating the coherence, either manually or with another CV.
Paranormal Patroler
I'm curious how it will react to sequencing voltages. Maybe one sequence and one envelope. It's so inviting to experimentation!
flashheart
TemplarK wrote:
Love the idea behind this module, i'll probably get it, one thing though all that space on the front panel and maker decides to use those horrible little potentiometers that don't require a proper knob, they are not nice to use and you can't be that accurate with them i find, maybe its not too late to change that?

Agreed, there's plenty of room. And FFS LABELS, some of us don't use our modulars every day and having to (re)interpret a set of symbols every time we switch on is just a mood killer ( well it is for me).
lisa
No doubt interesting! Estimated price?
guestt
Thanks Hainbach good to know!
acgenerator
flashheart wrote:

Agreed, there's plenty of room. And FFS LABELS, some of us don't use our modulars every day and having to (re)interpret a set of symbols every time we switch on is just a mood killer ( well it is for me).

agreed.

I've had to add labels to several modules do to a combination of counter-intuitive layout and lack of labels (*cough* rebel tech) and any artsy aesthetics the designers have in mind get covered by blue painters tape. Sure it looks neat where you patch random bullshit in a coffeeshop set for a half a dozen hipsters that will accuse you of selling out when your fanbase hits double digits.

In a large rig or when patching purposefully (rather than experimenting) a lack of labels means it disrupts the workflow to try to figure out "which jack does what again?" There are enough complexities in modular already without having to label in glyphs, sanskrit, etc.
Paranormal Patroler
Quote:
blue painters tape
, you got me. I have no idea what this is but it's super useful if it lets you label stuff!
guestt
I am guessing this is known as 'masking tape' in the UK hihi
acgenerator
Baddcr wrote:

yes but specifically the higher end stuff without the residue.
KSS
acgenerator wrote:
Baddcr wrote:
yes but specifically the higher end stuff without the residue.

There is a light green type painters tape also with no-residue which may have higher contrast making labels easier to read than the dark blue.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 1 of 4