MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Random Source's TKB
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Random Source's TKB
auxren
Any details coming out of Superbooth? Is it the standard TKB or are there some fun updates? Any pricing or info on DIY options?
batchas
Quality looks ace.
Shallow boats awesome.

Mods which apparently look like details, but make it really better and worth checking IMO compared to the TKB I am used to.

There's now a SLIDE function.
You can use the B row to set the amount of slide for A for instance.
303 style? Oui oui. With the R*S TKB why not Guinness ftw!

There's a vertical clock reset input (!).

The RANDOM input is now clocked directly. No need to patch it to the CLOCK IN anymore.

LEDs show which row is playing if vertical (I really miss this on the original one).

There's no risk anymore to touch 2 keys at once and have a noisy result at the voltage output (like the TKB looping like mad between 2 touched keypads and producing noise).

Sure Ralf will give more details here once he's back from Superbooth like about the touch keyboard coating process for instance or the sensitivity improvements.
jln
batchas wrote:

There's no risk anymore to touch 2 keys at once and have a noisy result at the voltage output (like the TKB looping like mad between 2 touched keypads and producing noise).

Glad you shared this information. This very "feature" is my #1 one !! I so love how it glitches.

Seems I severely have to keep my old TKB.
batchas
jln wrote:
batchas wrote:

Glad you shared this information. This very "feature" is my #1 one !! I so love how it glitches.

Seems I severely have to keep my old TKB.

Haha yeah. you can also see it this way hihi

I guess other users will salute this feature depending how they play with their TKB.
Again this is the machine I saw at this stage of devpt at the Superbooth. R*S will surely be here soon.
These 3 days of fare are more than intense for people with a booth!

Though I can imagine this is a pretty big challenge to choose the "right" option while in the process of deciding what is improving an instrument or not, or implementimg a feature, as there's anyway no chance a machine or anything can please everybody. Chance = 0.
But this is also this kind of decision I think which makes this or that unique in its genre and also defines the identity of a brand or a maker, being consequent and able to decide (or not).

BTW, now you can always buy the R*S one if you think you'd buy it without this feature and make a mod with a switch, with glitch/without glitch hihi
Triglav
hox3d
While we're at it, is there some kind of proper manual for it?
I'd like to know how this works.

Couldn't find a relevant one on the usual Serge-related websites.
The only thing I lack about R*S is that you don't have any user manual...
For basic stuff (i.e oscillators) that's okay, but for more versatile modules, that's a shame.
jln
batchas wrote:

Though I can imagine this is a pretty big challenge to choose the "right" option while in the process of deciding what is improving an instrument or not, or implementimg a feature, as there's anyway no chance a machine or anything can please everybody. Chance = 0.
But this is also this kind of decision I think which makes this or that unique in its genre and also defines the identity of a brand or a maker, being consequent and able to decide (or not).

Yes, I totally agree with you. By no mean do I intend to criticize whatever made choice.

Truth is I hardly use my TKB as a sequencer so I surely dont expect this to be the most common use case... hehe. Fixing/improving this makes total sense design-wise.

Quote:
BTW, now you can always buy the R*S one if you think you'd buy it without this feature and make a mod with a switch, with glitch/without glitch hihi

I actually was wondering about this possibility. At least out of curiosity.
batchas
jln wrote:
batchas wrote:

Yes, I totally agree with you. By no mean do I intend to criticize whatever made choice.

It did not feel like you did Jin.
It was clear it's your personal experience with this great machine thumbs up
Plus it's always interesting to see how others use their machine.

Myself I enjoy my old TKB like it is because it does what I want for the music I do, but if it was not because I want to leave it in its original state (the paperface TKB), I would not say no to LEDs for each row, vert. clock reset.
or direct random input either hihi.
Oh and the slide too, so I don't need to use other modules if I want to achieve a similar function.
Now how easy and clean to mod all this is another question.
Pretty sure for some functions it needs more than a switch or a few components (to go back to my comment about the "glitch" on 2 pads touched simultaneously).

jln wrote:
Quote:

I actually was wondering about this possibility. At least out of curiosity.

I read again with your question what I previously wrote and I have to admit knowing that is not so simple to implement what R*S did, it was maybe a bit too ironic from me to add this comment, in despite of the emoticon.
So I am sorry if it was kindof misleading.

We know everything is possible circuitswise, but I'm convinced R*S would have themselves added this switch if it was possible without too high complications (hence my previous comment about making decisions).

"Out of curiosity" means you would not say definitely "no" to a non-glitch hihi.
I'm kidding but no I don't think a simple solution with a switch is realistic for a glitch/non-glitch functionality. Obv, too much circuitry involved.
Maybe someone one day in the DIY section of this forum.... who knows.
FlangerMagazine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_mvPXlJIoE
batchas
I forgot (thanx Seb!): the KEY output is now trimmed to 1 semitone and that's awesome.
nordlead
Many thanks to batchas - he explained everything already! thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up

We're in the process of sorting the last details out for production, so it shouldn't take too long - will post ETA, prices, availability etc. once these become available, please hang on!

One aspect we put a lot of emphasis on is PRESSURE OUT, i.e. to get the sensitivity to be able to control the output signal seemlessly from 0V to max (and anything in between). Here's a brief demo:

Reality Checkpoint
Any news?

Very interested..........
Liddlepud
Any updates on availability?
ModHiisi
hyper
Reality Checkpoint
Just looked on the Random Source website, and there is still no mention of this.

sad banana
chrisdermo
Dead Banana any info on prospective price point would be great!
pelang
also curious about. Still waiting for RES EQ in SMD...
fonik
I had to iron out some things in the current Serge TKB for Eurorack prototype. It turned out well.
While at it I made four short videos with patch examples. These patches were kept simple to show the basic concept and functions of the TKB. So it is not about the sound and music, but just the functiionality, it is meant educational. BTW I don't have R*S Serge for Eurorack myself, so I had to use my DIY Eurorack modular.

patch example #1

patch example #2

patch example #3

patch example #4
harolddonnelly
pelang wrote:

+1 to this!
Avjr
harolddonnelly wrote:
pelang wrote:

+1 to this!

I am pretty much sold on the TKB and waiting too for the Res EQ to finish off my current work-in-progress 4x4 boat. The waiting is making me itch...
chrisdermo
Really interested to hear at least a ballpark price point on the banana version mounted in its own case with internal power supply - could be exactly what i've been looking for to use with the BugBrand!. Does anyone know off hand what the voltage range is on the outputs? Is it 0-5v?
phisynth
chrisdermo wrote:
Really interested to hear at least a ballpark price point on the banana version mounted in its own case with internal power supply - could be exactly what i've been looking for to use with the BugBrand!. Does anyone know off hand what the voltage range is on the outputs? Is it 0-5v?

If it follows the usual Serge standards (and coming from R*S I don't see how it wouldn't), it's 0-5 v indeed. Might require some processing with the BugBrand! (I usually double my voltages coming from the Serge to it)
fonik
5V indeed.
re price point: I am not the business man, but I expect somethng in the 1500 to 2000 range.
chocolatyshatner
Looks great! Are there plans for a DIY option for bananas or minijacks?
MATSmile
chrisdermo wrote:

I've been using my Serge TKB with Bugs and it works just fine.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2