MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Baby Synth
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2 [all]
Author Baby Synth
savethisrocketship
I was really stoked when the 4MS pods were first announced - I thought it would be a fun (and relatively cheap) opportunity to pull stuff out of my 12U and do little portable configurations. Was crushed when I learned that they're so shallow almost none of my existing modules would fit in them.

Do you play live with this setup? It looks like it could get really wild!
strangegravity
I record any play with a collaborator. This is way easier to tote than my 360hp case.

A lot of my friends are in rock bands where it's almost impossible to use a traditional modular. They don't understand "clock" or patch time. so I made this as playable as I could. It's been a blast. The "hippy" jam bands don't seem to care for it though. seriously, i just don't get it
tonyt138
I like this a lot. I plan on getting a small case and cramming a few modules in there to give myself some limitations and see what I come up with. Still keeping my 6u 84 hp case and modules, of course. I was thinking MI Marbles, plants, clouds, erica synths pico dsp, and MN Rosie. Saw someone on IG w a similar setup in a tiny case and it got me inspired. (I know, no vcas but still, I think it'll be really fun.)
jmeisse
I'm a bass player, bassist and drummers know all about tempo
strangegravity
Yes but drummers want to control time and then 5 people just start jamming. It's hard to join a jam by convening everyone to start with your clock. At least in my circles. The drummer is the clock and they don't produce a MIDI signal.
wm.wragg
What about using a Mutable Instruments Ears and a microphone to route the drums through it’s envelope followers and gate detector?
Silentnotes
wm.wragg wrote:
What about using a Mutable Instruments Ears and a microphone to route the drums through it’s envelope followers and gate detector?

Exactly. Contact mic on the bass drum and the drummer becomes your clock source.
strangegravity
Silentnotes wrote:
wm.wragg wrote:

Exactly. Contact mic on the bass drum and the drummer becomes your clock source.

Only if they play evenly spaced notes the whole time like 1ppqn, which is unlikely. Yes I thought about. I even have a PL contact mic tile.
Silentnotes
strangegravity wrote:
Silentnotes wrote:
wm.wragg wrote:

Only if they play evenly spaced notes the whole time like 1ppqn, which is unlikely. Yes I thought about. I even have a PL contact mic tile.

Clock doesnt have to be regular to be useful. You can stll use it to advance the sequencer, trigger a sample or an envelope..
Rex Coil 7
strangegravity wrote:
The "hippy" jam bands don't seem to care for it though. seriously, i just don't get it
Check out the "hippie jam band" called "Particle". Synths used.

strangegravity wrote:
Yes but drummers want to control time and then 5 people just start jamming. It's hard to join a jam by convening everyone to start with your clock. At least in my circles. The drummer is the clock and they don't produce a MIDI signal.
And believe it or not, many drummers cannot play to a click track. Truth.

Silentnotes wrote:
strangegravity wrote:
Silentnotes wrote:
wm.wragg wrote:

Clock doesnt have to be regular to be useful. You can stll use it to advance the sequencer, trigger a sample or an envelope..
ELP used drum triggers, back when most tech of that sort was pretty crude by today's standard. Give it whirl, worst that can happen is it won't work.

cool
GNSDG
I'll bite. I've been trying to put together small cases to do specific things, to have something portable. Still haven't really hit on something that I think works all that well, but keeping at it.

First attempt, sort of minimalist analog (mostly used without the Keys):

Then tried this one, built on abusing RM samples through uBurst and spring reverb - did a few super cool things with it but RM was unpredictable in that application. Might give it a whirl with Bastl GrandPa:

Sound example of #2 (takes about a minute to really get going):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8p3wlcfp45d3uin/Landscape%20Suitcase%20A.mp3  ?dl=0
[/img]
LazyCircuit
GNSDG wrote:
I'll bite. I've been trying to put together small cases to do specific things, to have something portable. Still haven't really hit on something that I think works all that well, but keeping at it.

First attempt, sort of minimalist analog (mostly used without the Keys):

Then tried this one, built on abusing RM samples through uBurst and spring reverb - did a few super cool things with it but RM was unpredictable in that application. Might give it a whirl with Bastl GrandPa:

Sound example of #2 (takes about a minute to really get going):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8p3wlcfp45d3uin/Landscape%20Suitcase%20A.mp3  ?dl=0
[/img]

This has seriously piqued my interest in using a Volca. Going to seatch for more examples of Volca integration now.
savethisrocketship
strangegravity wrote:
I record any play with a collaborator. This is way easier to tote than my 360hp case.

A lot of my friends are in rock bands where it's almost impossible to use a traditional modular. They don't understand "clock" or patch time. so I made this as playable as I could. It's been a blast. The "hippy" jam bands don't seem to care for it though. seriously, i just don't get it

I was spoiled - the last band I was in (before my son was born) had a drummer with really impressive timing - could play to a click, so we could sync him with two synth setups for stuff that required tight timing. So much fun! For more rock stuff I found I could usually get by with rigging up a 'tap tempo' sort of thing, but that's extra gear of course.

Time for patching, however... that's always gonna be hard sell lol
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2 [all]
Page 2 of 2