Baby Synth

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

User avatar
savethisrocketship
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 569
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:30 am
Location: Troy, Ny

Post by savethisrocketship » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:03 pm

I was really stoked when the 4MS pods were first announced - I thought it would be a fun (and relatively cheap) opportunity to pull stuff out of my 12U and do little portable configurations. Was crushed when I learned that they're so shallow almost none of my existing modules would fit in them.

Do you play live with this setup? It looks like it could get really wild!

User avatar
strangegravity
A Big Knob
Posts: 1659
Joined: Thu May 21, 2015 12:01 pm
Location: Cincinnati

Post by strangegravity » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:22 pm

I record any play with a collaborator. This is way easier to tote than my 360hp case.

A lot of my friends are in rock bands where it's almost impossible to use a traditional modular. They don't understand "clock" or patch time. so I made this as playable as I could. It's been a blast. The "hippy" jam bands don't seem to care for it though. :despair:

tonyt138
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 38
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:11 pm
Location: bakersfield, ca

Post by tonyt138 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:56 pm

I like this a lot. I plan on getting a small case and cramming a few modules in there to give myself some limitations and see what I come up with. Still keeping my 6u 84 hp case and modules, of course. I was thinking MI Marbles, plants, clouds, erica synths pico dsp, and MN Rosie. Saw someone on IG w a similar setup in a tiny case and it got me inspired. (I know, no vcas but still, I think it'll be really fun.)

User avatar
jmeisse
Common Wiggler
Posts: 92
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:55 pm
Location: Austin, TX

Post by jmeisse » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:54 pm

I'm a bass player, bassist and drummers know all about tempo

User avatar
strangegravity
A Big Knob
Posts: 1659
Joined: Thu May 21, 2015 12:01 pm
Location: Cincinnati

Post by strangegravity » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:40 pm

Yes but drummers want to control time and then 5 people just start jamming. It's hard to join a jam by convening everyone to start with your clock. At least in my circles. The drummer is the clock and they don't produce a MIDI signal.

User avatar
wm.wragg
Common Wiggler
Posts: 123
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:21 am
Location: Brighton, UK

Post by wm.wragg » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:02 am

What about using a Mutable Instruments Ears and a microphone to route the drums through it’s envelope followers and gate detector?

User avatar
Silentnotes
Common Wiggler
Posts: 167
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:07 pm

Post by Silentnotes » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:01 am

wm.wragg wrote:What about using a Mutable Instruments Ears and a microphone to route the drums through it’s envelope followers and gate detector?
Exactly. Contact mic on the bass drum and the drummer becomes your clock source.

User avatar
strangegravity
A Big Knob
Posts: 1659
Joined: Thu May 21, 2015 12:01 pm
Location: Cincinnati

Post by strangegravity » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:30 pm

Silentnotes wrote:
wm.wragg wrote:What about using a Mutable Instruments Ears and a microphone to route the drums through it’s envelope followers and gate detector?
Exactly. Contact mic on the bass drum and the drummer becomes your clock source.
Only if they play evenly spaced notes the whole time like 1ppqn, which is unlikely. Yes I thought about. I even have a PL contact mic tile.

User avatar
Silentnotes
Common Wiggler
Posts: 167
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:07 pm

Post by Silentnotes » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:27 pm

strangegravity wrote:
Silentnotes wrote:
wm.wragg wrote:What about using a Mutable Instruments Ears and a microphone to route the drums through it’s envelope followers and gate detector?
Exactly. Contact mic on the bass drum and the drummer becomes your clock source.
Only if they play evenly spaced notes the whole time like 1ppqn, which is unlikely. Yes I thought about. I even have a PL contact mic tile.
Clock doesnt have to be regular to be useful. You can stll use it to advance the sequencer, trigger a sample or an envelope..

User avatar
Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 6553
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:29 am
Location: Captain Of Outer Space

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:46 pm

strangegravity wrote: The "hippy" jam bands don't seem to care for it though. :despair:
Check out the "hippie jam band" called "Particle". Synths used.
strangegravity wrote:Yes but drummers want to control time and then 5 people just start jamming. It's hard to join a jam by convening everyone to start with your clock. At least in my circles. The drummer is the clock and they don't produce a MIDI signal.
And believe it or not, many drummers cannot play to a click track. Truth.
Silentnotes wrote:
strangegravity wrote:
Silentnotes wrote:
wm.wragg wrote:What about using a Mutable Instruments Ears and a microphone to route the drums through it’s envelope followers and gate detector?
Exactly. Contact mic on the bass drum and the drummer becomes your clock source.
Only if they play evenly spaced notes the whole time like 1ppqn, which is unlikely. Yes I thought about. I even have a PL contact mic tile.
Clock doesnt have to be regular to be useful. You can stll use it to advance the sequencer, trigger a sample or an envelope..
ELP used drum triggers, back when most tech of that sort was pretty crude by today's standard. Give it whirl, worst that can happen is it won't work.

8-)
Never Quit, Die Falling Forward
5U PROJECT - (skip pages 4 through 6, boring junk) ... https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... highlight=

User avatar
GNSDG
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 489
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:39 am
Location: NJ

Post by GNSDG » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:57 pm

I'll bite. I've been trying to put together small cases to do specific things, to have something portable. Still haven't really hit on something that I think works all that well, but keeping at it.

First attempt, sort of minimalist analog (mostly used without the Keys):

Image

Then tried this one, built on abusing RM samples through uBurst and spring reverb - did a few super cool things with it but RM was unpredictable in that application. Might give it a whirl with Bastl GrandPa:

Image


Sound example of #2 (takes about a minute to really get going):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8p3wlcfp45d3u ... A.mp3?dl=0
[/img]
WTB: Your 54HP lunchbox!

LazyCircuit
Common Wiggler
Posts: 81
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:44 pm

Post by LazyCircuit » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:44 pm

GNSDG wrote:I'll bite. I've been trying to put together small cases to do specific things, to have something portable. Still haven't really hit on something that I think works all that well, but keeping at it.

First attempt, sort of minimalist analog (mostly used without the Keys):

Image

Then tried this one, built on abusing RM samples through uBurst and spring reverb - did a few super cool things with it but RM was unpredictable in that application. Might give it a whirl with Bastl GrandPa:

Image


Sound example of #2 (takes about a minute to really get going):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8p3wlcfp45d3u ... A.mp3?dl=0
[/img]

This has seriously piqued my interest in using a Volca. Going to seatch for more examples of Volca integration now.

User avatar
savethisrocketship
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 569
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:30 am
Location: Troy, Ny

Post by savethisrocketship » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:09 pm

strangegravity wrote:I record any play with a collaborator. This is way easier to tote than my 360hp case.

A lot of my friends are in rock bands where it's almost impossible to use a traditional modular. They don't understand "clock" or patch time. so I made this as playable as I could. It's been a blast. The "hippy" jam bands don't seem to care for it though. :despair:
I was spoiled - the last band I was in (before my son was born) had a drummer with really impressive timing - could play to a click, so we could sync him with two synth setups for stuff that required tight timing. So much fun! For more rock stuff I found I could usually get by with rigging up a 'tap tempo' sort of thing, but that's extra gear of course.

Time for patching, however... that's always gonna be hard sell :lol:

Post Reply

Return to “Eurorack Modules”