MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

In desperate need of some feedback on this one...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Your Tunes Here  
Author In desperate need of some feedback on this one...
synkrotron
Sorry Peeps... I usually let my posts disappear without a trace and no comments left, but I really would appreciate some input on this one.

I've been practising with a "live" setup for the last month or so. Not sure if I would or could go live, but I am certainly considering it.

Trouble is, I don't know much about techno, which appears to be one of the most popular genres within the modular community. So most of my stuff comes out as a happy ditty and I am not even sure that there is a market for this kind of stuff.

I guess that's one of the problems of working alone and trying to be sort of "original" and doing what's in your head. Sometimes it's just plain crap.

Anyway, I've posted this piece on both SoundCloud and YouTube, so, please, take your pick:-

[s]https://soundcloud.com/synkrotron/modular-live-session-050518[/s]



Many thanks,

cheers

andy
Joe.
I quite like it at 2x speed. It's almost reminiscent of early Sabrepulse stuff (without the breaks).
synkrotron
LoFi Junglist wrote:
I quite like it at 2x speed. It's almost reminiscent of early Sabrepulse stuff (without the breaks).


Haha! Thanks mate! Yeah, I suppose 180bpm would make it a bit more interesting!

Cheers, and thanks for taking the time to watch/listen and comment here, much appreciated Mr. Green
BenA718
I thought this was mad cool! Forget about genres, just write for yourself and invite others along for the ride.
synkrotron
BenA718 wrote:
I thought this was mad cool! Forget about genres, just write for yourself and invite others along for the ride.


Wow! Thank you very much, and you make a very good point here smile

cheers

andy
gis_sweden
Why do you want to do techno? This was a nice happy tune. A little 8-bit feeling. I guess the challenge playing live is to create variations enough for the set length. At the beginning of your modular journey you talked about techno. But I have not heard any techno from you. Maybe I’ve missed it…?
synkrotron
gis_sweden wrote:
Why do you want to do techno? This was a nice happy tune. A little 8-bit feeling. I guess the challenge playing live is to create variations enough for the set length. At the beginning of your modular journey you talked about techno. But I have not heard any techno from you. Maybe I’ve missed it…?


Haha! Yeah, I just posted about the Techno thing in your post. Don't really get it, as a genre, and I can't remember what I was doing or listening to at the time. In fact I'm not entirely sure I know what EDM, IDM and all the other sub genres of electronic music.

I was brought up on Tangerine Dream, early Kraftwerk and JMJ, and then later started listening to Ian Boddy (I met him a couple of times when he was working for Akai).

Couldn't name a Techno artist if my life depended on it! Dead Banana

Thanks for listening Mr. Green
gis_sweden
synkrotron wrote:
Haha! Yeah, I just posted about the Techno thing in your post.

It was your post that inspired me to post my technoish track.

synkrotron wrote:
I was brought up on Tangerine Dream, early Kraftwerk and JMJ, and then later started listening to Ian Boddy


Same here hihi
But I never really liked Tangerine Dream... I have to check out Ian Boddy. I have listened a lot to Kraftverk and Jarre. Yello, YMO etc and some EBM bands. EBM is in my world close to techno... The techno I like. But I thats not all true because during my "sampler period" I was listening a lot to ambient dub techno - all these sub genres Dead Banana

Let us hear more about your live plans.
synkrotron
gis_sweden wrote:

Let us hear more about your live plans.


I get goose bumps thinking about going live!

I have played in a band before, and gig nights were nerve wracking, but enjoyable smile

And I don't think I have a "product" to take live yet. I've been watching a few vids of modular live setups and one thing I haven't got in my system are switched multiples which, according to the experts, are essential for re-routing stuff instead of pulling cords out on the fly.
Pyrrhix
I listened on Soundcloud.

Some positives: Something always seemed to be developing, and the piece never felt static. There was a good amount of melodic variation while maintaining a cohesive mood. I also liked the metallic timbre that was like a mix between a plucked and blown instrument.

Some constructive criticisms: It could do with a more substantial bassy kick in place of the noisy pulse you had going. That might add a bit more weight to the track as a whole. Also, I was really craving a peak of some sort near the end, but it never came.

Other mutterings: The melodies are a bit sentimental for my taste. If spring days and childhood nostalgia are what you're going for though, you've nailed that type of feeling.

Also, this does not resemble techno in any sense. If you like the way it sounds though, then it sounds the way it should. Trying to make music to fit an audience expectation never turns out authentic. Don't be too hard on yourself. This is not "just plain crap," and the right audience would enjoy it as it is.
synkrotron
Pyrrhix wrote:
I listened on Soundcloud.

Some positives: Something always seemed to be developing, and the piece never felt static. There was a good amount of melodic variation while maintaining a cohesive mood. I also liked the metallic timbre that was like a mix between a plucked and blown instrument.

Some constructive criticisms: It could do with a more substantial bassy kick in place of the noisy pulse you had going. That might add a bit more weight to the track as a whole. Also, I was really craving a peak of some sort near the end, but it never came.

Other mutterings: The melodies are a bit sentimental for my taste. If spring days and childhood nostalgia are what you're going for though, you've nailed that type of feeling.

Also, this does not resemble techno in any sense. If you like the way it sounds though, then it sounds the way it should. Trying to make music to fit an audience expectation never turns out authentic. Don't be too hard on yourself. This is not "just plain crap," and the right audience would enjoy it as it is.


Hello Pyrrhix,

Thank you very much for taking the time to listen to my modular creation, and double thanks for your appraisal, it is very much appreciated smile

I agree with everything you have said above.

Kick and hat sound were cobbled up using the outputs from my Doepfer A-118 noise source, the kick through the Wasp filter and the hat through the A-10606 filter. Just using what I have to hand really. So, yeah, in the long term I need to address that.

Regarding the peak that didn't materialise. Again, I agree and know what you are saying and is a problem I have in my musical creations in general. I gravitated towards beat-less ambient purely because I can concentrate on sounds and not worry too much about composition. But since putting an increasing amount of effort into our modular system I am instantly drawn back into sequencer based stuff, mainly because we have a Metropolis and a Beatstep Pro. At some point I need to consider using these sequencers in a different way, and this it my long term goal, I think. Although I hasten to add that I do love good old fashioned sequencer stuff.

I think I am with you on the sentimental melodies thing. I have always considered my own stuff, prior to creating more drone based noise, rather child-like and a bit simple. Although I have been playing guitar for over thirty years I have never got to the point where I would consider myself a musician. And my musical theory is somewhat lacking, mainly because I am lazy and, like many, I play what I like to hear.


I'm glad you don't think this resembles techno. The only reason I mention techno is that it appears to be the most popular genre to attack with a modular system. At least that's how I see it. But you are absolutely correct when you mention "trying to make music fit to an audience." I've spent the last couple of years embracing "ambient" music and now have five full albums on Bandcamp where my only consideration has been that I make stuff that I want to hear.

Cheers, and thanks again,

andy
LHOOQtius
Ambient Futurepop? Cool.

I personally like the sentimental melody, though that's not often my own personal style.

My main constructive criticism is that there was no substantial bass, either bassline or kicks. But maybe you don't want them.
afterswish
synkrotron

Hi Andy,

I like the track you posted and I'm interested in a collaboration. You mention 'market', and I'm wondering if your interest in music is both for fun and profit (like mine?) I already have a job or two but they don't quite pay the bills at the minute, and having worked in the past as a mastering engineer I do have some experience in the industry.

If you're interested in hearing more drop me a line!

Cheers,

Matt
synkrotron
LHOOQtius wrote:
Ambient Futurepop? Cool.

I personally like the sentimental melody, though that's not often my own personal style.

My main constructive criticism is that there was no substantial bass, either bassline or kicks. But maybe you don't want them.


Apologies for not replying sooner! My stuff usually disappears to page two quite quickly Mr. Green

I agree... Needs more bass, and a proper rhythm section. I could turn to my many VST instruments and effects but I am trying to get to grips with my modular and I am kind of running out of sound sources. Currently working lots of overtime so may treat myself to some more bits and pieces soon.

Thank you for listening smile
synkrotron
afterswish wrote:
synkrotron

Hi Andy,

I like the track you posted and I'm interested in a collaboration. You mention 'market', and I'm wondering if your interest in music is both for fun and profit (like mine?) I already have a job or two but they don't quite pay the bills at the minute, and having worked in the past as a mastering engineer I do have some experience in the industry.

If you're interested in hearing more drop me a line!

Cheers,

Matt


Hi Matt,

Thank you for taking the time to listen to this piece.

I've sold a couple of albums on Bandcamp but, to be honest, I am not in this for the money and I really didn't expect to make any sales at all.

When you say "collaboration," what do you mean exactly?

cheers

andy
mathomas
I liked it a lot. Lots of variety and good sound design. Agree with comments re bass.

Don't worry about genres, IMO. Of course I say that being much like you in that I have no idea what my music "is". I get lost in the thousands of over-specialized sub-genres of electronic music, and am definitely not trying to fit into any of them on purpose.

If someone asks you just say "I do electronic music" and let them categorize it if they must.
afterswish
Hi Andy,

I guess I misunderstood the tone of the OP then - this talk of going live and the market lead me to understand you might consider music on some kind of professional basis.

In the contrary case, I'd say (as another poster did) forget about what other people are doing and don't worry at all about genres. It's all about what you enjoy.

As far as a collaborator is concerned, I was looking for someone to bounce ideas off, criticise and contribute mutually, and perhaps share the responsibility of making physical copies and distributing them. Perhaps I should post a thread about it.

M.
musicalfungus
synkrotron

I loved this. It was exactly the type of music I enjoy listening to and performing on my own modular gear.

I personally feel that this was much more enjoyable to listen to than techno. Not that techno is no good. But I really enjoy the melodies and feel of what you had going on in your video.

In my opinion I say forget about trying to make any one genre and just make what sounds and feels good to you. I think you are talented and have a unique style.... now roll with it!

Yesterday I posted a performance in the Your Tunes Here forum a couple posts back. Titled 30 minute Buchla/Eurorack performance at Robotspeak. It sort of has the same style as your song. Lots of overlapping melodies blending in and out and building on each other over the course of 30 minutes.

Hope you post some more videos. I really enjoyed this!
synkrotron
mathomas wrote:
I liked it a lot. Lots of variety and good sound design. Agree with comments re bass.

Don't worry about genres, IMO. Of course I say that being much like you in that I have no idea what my music "is". I get lost in the thousands of over-specialized sub-genres of electronic music, and am definitely not trying to fit into any of them on purpose.

If someone asks you just say "I do electronic music" and let them categorize it if they must.


Thanks mathomas smile

I did used to say I created "electronic music" and, at the time, my work mates thought that meant dance stuff, which my stuff at the time was so far removed from anything you could dance to haha!

Cheers, and thanks for having a listen.

andy
synkrotron
afterswish wrote:
Hi Andy,

I guess I misunderstood the tone of the OP then - this talk of going live and the market lead me to understand you might consider music on some kind of professional basis.

In the contrary case, I'd say (as another poster did) forget about what other people are doing and don't worry at all about genres. It's all about what you enjoy.

As far as a collaborator is concerned, I was looking for someone to bounce ideas off, criticise and contribute mutually, and perhaps share the responsibility of making physical copies and distributing them. Perhaps I should post a thread about it.

M.


Sorry about misleading you there... I mean, I would like to think I could take something on the road but I am so far away from that just yet... Still finding my modular feet smile


As for physical copies, I have to admit that CD's or tapes is something I would not consider nowadays. I find it easier to throw stuff up on SoundCloud and Bandcamp for download and streaming.


cheers

andy
synkrotron
musicalfungus wrote:
synkrotron

I loved this. It was exactly the type of music I enjoy listening to and performing on my own modular gear.

I personally feel that this was much more enjoyable to listen to than techno. Not that techno is no good. But I really enjoy the melodies and feel of what you had going on in your video.

In my opinion I say forget about trying to make any one genre and just make what sounds and feels good to you. I think you are talented and have a unique style.... now roll with it!

Yesterday I posted a performance in the Your Tunes Here forum a couple posts back. Titled 30 minute Buchla/Eurorack performance at Robotspeak. It sort of has the same style as your song. Lots of overlapping melodies blending in and out and building on each other over the course of 30 minutes.

Hope you post some more videos. I really enjoyed this!


Thanks! So glad you had a listen to my stuff smile and that you enjoyed it... Always a bonus that Mr. Green


Currently watching your Church performance...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Your Tunes Here  
Page 1 of 1
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group