MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Prophet REV2-8 vs. 2 x Moog Mother-32 ?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  

Prophet REV2-8 vs. 2 x Mother-32
Prophet REV2-8
68%
 68%  [ 26 ]
2 x Mother-32
7%
 7%  [ 3 ]
none of them
23%
 23%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 38

Author Prophet REV2-8 vs. 2 x Moog Mother-32 ?
Manjigo
Yes. This has been really hard for me to decide, and I need your help. love

I already have a Moog Sub37, love it, and now its time to expand. applause

This is my life:

1. I mostly make electronic/ deep house style kinda music. cool
2. I am a perfectionist and HATE bad quality. I totally HATE it. wobbly pots is NOT an option. evil
3. This synth(s) will sit in my studio ONLY, and will have a good life, BUT like I said, only top quality.
4. I use X-fer Serum very much. Maybe the REV2 will kinda replace that a little?
5. I totally love Moog quality. If the DSI is not similar, I will throw it back to the store. angry

the rev2-8 will be 1444euro (synth only)
the double Moog mothers will be 1550euro (with all accessories)

please. tell me what to do. I would like to have them both Mr. Green hihi hihi
Unborn Gore
If you already have a Moog, why not get a different sounding synth to complement it? At that price, I would try out an Analogue Solutions Fusebox.
sp1200
I have a REV2 and a 37. The DSI is a nice synth. The keybed feels great. The only thing I’m not crazy about is the filter so I often run it through the 37’s audio in.

Considering you have Moog already, I’d suggest the DSI unless you want the patch points.
johny_gtr
Juno 60/Polysix Miley Cyrus
felixer
if i may be so bold i'd like to suggest a behringer model d. it's very affordable, sounds great, is well built and is compact. ok, so you already have a moog, but since you often use the filter for your dsi it might make sense ....
i have 4 for polyphonic operation and love 'm to death. makes me forget the obi 4voice.
Sir Ruff
option #4: delete this self-indulgent thread and post it on gearslutz instead meh
sloth713
the real question to ask your self is "am I looking for a poly synth or a mono synth" once you decide that your path will be clear. Though the path gets muddier of you like to multi track mono synths. Btw wobbly pots are not a sign of poor quality, some prominent eurorack manufacturer (I believe harvest man, make noise, and audio damage if memory serves me correctly) only use some pots that happen to feel wobbly because they have the lowest failure rate (that being said non wobbly pots do feel better, even if they actually are of poorer quality)
rod_zero
Personally I don't like DSI industrial design and overall feel of their synths, not bad at all but to me they don't feel that expensive. I even like more the System 8 knobs and faders feel than the DSI P08 rev2, obviously the Rev2 is mate of metal and so feels more sturdy overall.

Nord lead 4 feels really good, good keys, the controls are tight, the case is made of metal.

Virus ti, this feels absolutely premium, super solid case, very solid knobs.
Panason
I'd say neither option seems particularly worth the money.
J3RK
I absolutely love the Rev 2. I bought the 8-voice KB, but liked it so much that I just ordered the voice expander.

I can see why some people aren't into the filter. It's very smooth, very clean, and I can see how some might think it's pretty boring especially against a state variable like in the OB6. However, it's a different sound especially to something like the Moogs you mention, and for playing poly-style sounds, it does very well.

The stacking and layering, as well as the additional modulation options (over some of the other synths really work well if you're into a little more in-depth sound design. You can also build sounds every bit as thick as the other big polys. You might need to stack, or add some additional modulation to get there, but it does it very easily.

Whether you like the sound or not is going to be subjective, but it's undeniably capable feature and interface-wise. I think it would definitely go better with what you have than adding more Moog to the mix.

I'd listen to some demos, or get some hands-on time if you can. Check out the Musictrack JP demo/review for one.

I've been trying to recreate some of my favorite Prophet-5-style sounds, and while I generally use a bit of trickery to get there, I haven't once been disappointed by the results.
heckadecimal69
This is a question of Do you want a poly or a mono.

And no offense, but I really wish people would learn how to spend their own money better; these posts completely muck up a potentially useful discussion forum. Not trying to be a jerk, but all that happens here is people replying with their subjective opinions on apples and oranges.
J3RK
heckadecimal69 wrote:
This is a question of Do you want a poly or a mono.

And no offense, but I really wish people would learn how to spend their own money better; these posts completely muck up a potentially useful discussion forum. Not trying to be a jerk, but all that happens here is people replying with their subjective opinions on apples and oranges.

Some people explain their opinions well enough, so that it may become useful to the OP. The OP asked a question, outlined styles of music, the choices narrowed down to, and asked what people thought.

Is this post REALLY "mucking" up the forum and making it hard for you to know what's going on?

How is your response A) on topic, or B) useful in any way whatsoever?

Edited to tone down my crankiness a bit. Still, I don't see any harm in the OP.
calaveras
Don't understand why people bag on such threads. I find them a useful place to get opinions on various gear. It's kind of hard to evaluate a complex synth on a showroom floor with some kid murdering a Slipknot song 5 feet away.

Makes me wonder if these guys are on metered connections at their local library or something.
FlyingMusician
I am also one that appreciates high quality components and while I wish the Rev2 had bigger knobs, like the Prophet 5, the knobs are consistent and smooth and are a pleasure to work with.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1