MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Any FM synths with legato-style portamento?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Any FM synths with legato-style portamento?
Bath House
By which I mean portamento that only slides when two overlapping notes are played
flo
I cannot think of a single synth in the Yamaha DX line that doesn't do this (called "fingered portamento") thumbs up
Jari Jokinen
But the operator Level Scaling is not implemented on legato/portamento. This is one of the many "features" of Yamaha FM-synths and compromises monophonic sound.
a.d.a.m.baby
Jari Jokinen wrote:
But the operator Level Scaling is not implemented on legato/portamento. This is one of the many "features" of Yamaha FM-synths and compromises monophonic sound.

I wasn't aware of this.
Can you explain the audible or musical effect of this "feature"?
Jari Jokinen
a.d.a.m.baby wrote:
Jari Jokinen wrote:

I wasn't aware of this.
Can you explain the audible or musical effect of this "feature"?

For example, most often we want high keys (or rather: higher pitch) to have less modulator level(s) than low keys. We do this with the Level Scaling. High keys then have less overtones, which sounds natural - especially with the -EXP scaling curve. Unfortunately, on a legato passage, the key scaling factor is determined by the starting note only. There is no update on scaling unless the legato is broken.

The musical effect: Upwards legato passages become bright. Downwards legato passages become dull. With more ambitus the effect gets more drastic. (The same applies to pitch bends.)

I can think many ways to improve my trusty old SY99. Yamaha carried too many bugs to it from the DX7.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1