MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Syntonovo PAN
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Syntonovo PAN
chaosick
Starting a thread to post some info and get discussion going about the #1 most enticing thing I saw at Superbooth, the new flagship all analog (sound) with DSP control modular in a box, xyz expression, control your modular and make a cappucino, the Syntonovo PAN. I talked with both the founders for awhile (of Synton Fenix and Syrinx fame) and played it a bit. There's still a lot I don't understand about it, but based on what I've seen so far, I'm sold. Here's a picture and the pamphlet, feel free to ask away about anything else and I can do my best to answer..

Thighpaulsandra
As the owner of a Syrinx,two Fenixs and some 3000 Series modular I'm very interested in this. The only thing that concerns me is the long-term reliability of the keyboard. I love Synton gear but it's not the most sturdily built equipment I've ever used. Are Fatar making the whole assembly or are Synton modifying an existing design?

Thighp.
chaosick
Thighpaulsandra wrote:
As the owner of a Syrinx,two Fenixs and some 3000 Series modular I'm very interested in this. The only thing that concerns me is the long-term reliability of the keyboard. I love Synton gear but it's not the most sturdily built equipment I've ever used. Are Fatar making the whole assembly or are Synton modifying an existing design?

Thighp.

Lucky you!
As far as I understood, the keybed is fatar and then they've modified the functionality with DSP and other wizardy in terms of how it responds to modulation.
Panason
I should really have this (when I win the lottery)- it has my name on it.
Tajnost
After watching vids/pics from the s-booth I've got a questing in mind - are those 3 VCOs square/pulse only or saw/tri waves available as well? Amazing synthesizer!
flabby
I thought this looked wild too.
Is it just an LPF or is it multimode?
What about the sound?
GovernorSilver
chaosick
Tajnost wrote:
After watching vids/pics from the s-booth I've got a questing in mind - are those 3 VCOs square/pulse only or saw/tri waves available as well? Amazing synthesizer!

I think they have at least 3 waves each, maybe more, honestly once you combine 3--not to mention the 4 sine oscillators--the way frequencies add/additive synthesis, you really don't need more than that.
chaosick
flabby wrote:
What about the sound?

Multimode. The sound is good..hard to describe because it has much in common with the sounds you get once you start stacking oscillators and filters in a modular synth with resonant feedback and things like this..it reminded me very much of such things when he was demonstrating for me..and of course very possible to get either clean or voluminous in either direction depending on how you use it, I'm sure.
flabby
chaosick wrote:
flabby wrote:
What about the sound?

Multimode. The sound is good..hard to describe because it has much in common with the sounds you get once you start stacking oscillators and filters in a modular synth with resonant feedback and things like this..it reminded me very much of such things when he was demonstrating for me..and of course very possible to get either clean or voluminous in either direction depending on how you use it, I'm sure.

Cool! So there's the possibility to do some audio/signal feedback?
Overdrive in there?
It's duophonic, right? So I heard in the video.
chaosick
flabby wrote:
chaosick wrote:
flabby wrote:
What about the sound?

Overdrive in there?

I'm not sure..it just resembled things like that that I've only gotten before through self patching in my ADDAC fitlerbank + other voices or something crazy like that..This is Not Rocket Science is doing the collaboration, they would be the one to ask in terms of knowledge and responsiveness, I think. Yeah, duophonic--for me the exciting thing is because of the cv I/O and possibility as a master modular controller with real expression as well as powerful in its own right. I can't get over how many multi-thousand dollar/euro setups at SB were being controlled only by an Arturia Keystep or something equally cheap and crappy. This is crazy, it would be like going to a luxury auto show where all the steering wheels have been ripped off a Fischer Price car. We need controllers of this degree of sensitivity and sophistication to match the sound.
OurDarkness
Beautifully weird synth, Felix Visser needs to be congratulated first and foremost for the XYZ capabilities of the keyboard. I think we need more keyboards like these. The implementation of polyphonic aftertouch in a future synth would catapult it beyond CS-80 in terms of expression...

I would really love to get my hands on one! love SlayerBadger!
flabby
chaosick wrote:
flabby wrote:
chaosick wrote:
flabby wrote:
What about the sound?

Overdrive in there?

I'm not sure..it just resembled things like that that I've only gotten before through self patching in my ADDAC fitlerbank + other voices or something crazy like that..This is Not Rocket Science is doing the collaboration, they would be the one to ask in terms of knowledge and responsiveness, I think. Yeah, duophonic--for me the exciting thing is because of the cv I/O and possibility as a master modular controller with real expression as well as powerful in its own right. I can't get over how many multi-thousand dollar/euro setups at SB were being controlled only by an Arturia Keystep or something equally cheap and crappy. This is crazy, it would be like going to a luxury auto show where all the steering wheels have been ripped off a Fischer Price car. We need controllers of this degree of sensitivity and sophistication to match the sound.

Thanks. I might get in touch with them. I imagined it was just control/cv that is freely routable but it would have fixed audio routing.

Either way, this thing looks really exciting. Although still early days, so we'll be waiting a while before we hear any real audio demos. End of the year I believe he said for shipping.

In your note about eurorack control, unfortunately I don't really follow eurorack these days. But there seems to be a hell of a lot of gear being brought out. I always hope someone would buck the trend and do a system with preset recall, like the Buchla 200e.
chaosick
flabby wrote:
chaosick wrote:
flabby wrote:
chaosick wrote:
flabby wrote:
What about the sound?

Overdrive in there?

Thanks. I might get in touch with them. I imagined it was just control/cv that is freely routable but it would have fixed audio routing.

Either way, this thing looks really exciting. Although still early days, so we'll be waiting a while before we hear any real audio demos. End of the year I believe he said for shipping.

In your note about eurorack control, unfortunately I don't really follow eurorack these days. But there seems to be a hell of a lot of gear being brought out. I always hope someone would buck the trend and do a system with preset recall, like the Buchla 200e.

Yep--that's part of why I want this. The ratio of tone generation/mod vs rational and deep control is still lopsided. I never used or owned any Buchla stuff, but from reading about it and especially interviews with Suzanne Ciani, it seems to me Buchla was very forward thinking about this from the beginning in terms of how things link up, and later on, preset, etc. We need more of this if people are going to create more actual music on these (still young) instruments and not just predictable techno on one extreme or generative floating ambient on the other.
milkshake
Game-changer instrument.

we're not worthy we're not worthy we're not worthy
digitalganesha
Given my long lust for a Syrinx, combined with the groundbreaking innovations on this - I WILL be a buyer. Rockin' Banana!
stikygum
Wow, this sound superb. Lots of raw power in it's sound. This seems ingenious. Unlimited modulations possibilities? Is that what I'm understanding?
flabby
Looking at the specs again in the OP, it says it has 'umpteen analog amplifiers.' Now it also has numerous VCOs, surely it must be possible to use this in a kind of multitimbral way? More than just the duophonic way that it states.
I know there's two filters on there, but can the different filter types be used all at once rather than just having to be in one mode or the other?

I suppose this comes back to my other question, about how flexible the audio routing is?

Just thinking out loud here.
Panason
He says people are asking for a standalone keyboard... I'd be asking for a keyboard-less desktop module...

It says "Poly over MIDI" on that spec sheet. This thing sounds monstrous.
3vcos
Are there close ups of the front panel?
I’d love to see what’s on the front panel.

Anyone know how many sound sources are available simultaneously? Looks like 3 vcos plus 4 sine waves = 7?
Panason
I find the suggestion that "this would be great for controlling modulars"... spectacularly missing the point by miles.
GuyaGuy
Seems pretty dope. The push button routing seems sweet--like a somewhat more elegant Matrixbrute interface.
CoreInside
Received an email from Bert and Felix today, basically a little ad for the synth noting that they are taking orders. It's already a beast of a synth. I wonder if they can add a sequencer and microtuning. It would be really cool to be able to trigger sequences from an 808 drum machine or whatever drum machine's gate or audio output.

Also I've spoken with Stijn from the team on youtube, he knows about this thread. hihi
Nelson Baboon
lots of interesting synths coming out these days, but THIS is the one that I'm interested in, partially based on my experience with the Fenix 2/3.
flabby
Nelson Baboon wrote:
lots of interesting synths coming out these days, but THIS is the one that I'm interested in, partially based on my experience with the Fenix 2/3.

Yeah definitely. Real interesting feature set.
What was it about the Fenix that did it for you? I've never played on one.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1