MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Hexinverter Mutant Brain
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Hexinverter Mutant Brain
soundslikejoe
There are lots of Midi-CV modules out. This one seems especially good for anyone interested in sequencing drum triggers on the cheap. Priced at less than $199 USD (maybe even just $169) ... for 4 CV and 12 Gate/Clock outputs. Thinking I might try this paired with Octatrack. Seems to match. Two channels for Bass or Synth pitch and mod. Eight channels for triggers/gates. Plus four more channels for Clock, Transport, and such.

kwaidan
It actually looks like a better deal for 4 voice poly.
starthief
It's basically CV.OCD in a module, with some handy extra LEDs. Which isn't a bad thing at all smile
DMR
What is the resolution of the DAC for the CV outputs?
soundslikejoe
DMR wrote:
What is the resolution of the DAC for the CV outputs?

CV output resolution: 12bits (V/oct or V/Hz)
Only info I've seen (from manual).
RussiaZero23
@ $169 usd Ill take 2 please.

It is cheaper then my alternative plan and gives me more. I am on the waiting list now and looking into this very closely. I just wish I could try it before buying.
CF3
Been waiting on a D-MUX expander for my Cirklon for YEARS.... this will definitely hold me over, and price is nice. Might get two!
uebl
starthief wrote:
It's basically CV.OCD in a module, with some handy extra LEDs. Which isn't a bad thing at all smile

The SysEx editor is almost identical. The CV.OCD is open source, mh?
auxein
i'm planning on replacing yarns with this
bradpickapiper
I just ordered a CV.OCD. seems a bit cheaper and saves on HP.
anyone else enjoying theirs?
uebl
Yes, I’ve got a CV.OCD - it does what it says. I might get a Mutant Brain nevertheless to keep the setup “simpler”, especially when transporting the case.
efexx
Planning to use it with my Elektron Digitone. Should be the Ultimate sequencer solution.
SCOOBA_TANK
I'm wondering if anyone has snagged one of these yet? I see that Detroit Modular has them in stock. I'm debating changing around my set-up a bit and adding in a Digitakt. I know BoBeats did a good overview of integrating the two, so I know it won't be an issue. Just wanted to know if there was any real world feedback on this as a main midi integration module. And this would be my first venture into integrating midi into my system. Thanks in advance!
LTodd
SCOOBA_TANK wrote:
I'm wondering if anyone has snagged one of these yet? I see that Detroit Modular has them in stock. I'm debating changing around my set-up a bit and adding in a Digitakt. I know BoBeats did a good overview of integrating the two, so I know it won't be an issue. Just wanted to know if there was any real world feedback on this as a main midi integration module. And this would be my first venture into integrating midi into my system. Thanks in advance!

Not yet, but mine should arrive tomorrow or Monday. Will report back!
SCOOBA_TANK
LTodd wrote:
Not yet, but mine should arrive tomorrow or Monday. Will report back!

Killer! Thanks. I went ahead and pulled the trigger on this and a Digitakt. Looking forward to taking them for a spin. Can’t wait to hear what you think too.
spinalbeatz
Please report back folks!
justin3am
It's an excellent module. As was mentioned, it's a CV.OCD behind a euro panel (CV.OCD is even mentioned on the PCB). I see that as a good thing. It's super easy to setup and very configurable. The sysex configuration file is only ~350 Bytes, so I figure it should be pretty easy to figure out, in case the website disappears, somehow.

I'm using mine with an Octatrack and Beatstep Pro. I merge the MIDI data and filter out system messages with an AL-88c. It works very well for my purposes. I can get an extra 8 gate outputs from my BSP and still have outputs left over to get 2 voices for 1v/Oct, Velocity and Gate, either using the Octatrack or BSP as a source. I send clock and transport messages to the Mutant Brain from my E-RM MultiClock. The Mutant Brain seems to handle fast dense MIDI input without any issues.

I also have an Intellijel uMIDI (which I do like) but the Mutant Brain is much more useful to me because the outputs are so configurable, though it occupies a bit more space. The uMIDI does have a USB input, where the Mutant Brain does not but I never used it. But that may be something to consider for folks who are getting MIDI from a computer. Even so, there are cheap USB>MIDI interfaces out there.

Even after only using it for one night, I can definitely recommend this module. A real bargain for all it does.
rohelineoun
bradpickapiper wrote:
I just ordered a CV.OCD. seems a bit cheaper and saves on HP.
anyone else enjoying theirs?

You will have no regrets. Having everything in the case is always tempting but I don't always need MIDI control so the CV.OCD is the perfect option for me.
Vanden92
Got the Mutant Brain to use with the Digitakt and sometimes a Beatstep Pro. Absolutely love it! This, however, is my first exploration into MIDI. Silly question, but how do I send a MIDI SysEx file to the mutant brain? Only MIDI equipment I have is the aforementioned.
justin3am
You need a computer with a USB MIDI interface which is capable of transmitting Sysex data. Lots of decent MIDI interfaces out there. Most can send/receive Sysex without any problems.

You will also need an application which can send the sysex file which the Mutant Brain editor generates.

In Windows I use Send SX for transmitting Sysex.

In OSX, I use Sysex Librarian.
Vanden92
justin3am wrote:
You need a computer with a USB MIDI interface which is capable of transmitting Sysex data. Lots of decent MIDI interfaces out there. Most can send/receive Sysex without any problems.

You will also need an application which can send the sysex file which the Mutant Brain editor generates.

In Windows I use Send SX for transmitting Sysex.

In OSX, I use Sysex Librarian.

Thanks. Is there a cheap option for a MIDI interface? I just want to get the Brain setup and then forget. Thinking about it - the Beatstep Pro has USB - can it be sent over this?
justin3am
It appears that the BeatStep Pro filters sysex.
https://forum.arturia.com/index.php?topic=85186.0

Unsurprising given that it generates so much MIDI traffic on it's own.

Lots of simple MIDI interface options: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field -keywords=midi+interface

I used M-Audio MIDI Sports and a MOTU MTP-AV/USB for years (before I transitioned to MIDI over ethernet).
stickman
If it's based on CV.ocd worth mentioning you need an interface that doesn't send active sensing messages (Roland um1 does)
Accent
I’ve got one on the way, planning to chain it to the midi thru on Yarns to give me 8 mono outs or 4 mono/one 4 voice poly from my Pyramid or MPC Live (probably with the MB on poly to free up the arps and things on Yarns), and the additional gate outs for clocks (would be cool if Hex Inverter added a way to multiply/divide clocks, and/or add arps to the outputs, but I digress). Hopefully mine comes soon...should have arrived today and looks like it’s in the wind with USPS, but I work for a shipping company and everything is chaos after the last holiday so I’ll give them a day or so.

Anyhow, anyone have a link for a super short midi cable, like 6”-8”, preferably sold in the States? I need to cover the smallest distance ever for a midi connection between Yarns and the MB, and the shortest cables I can find are around one foot.
SCOOBA_TANK
Accent wrote:
I’ve got one on the way, planning to chain it to the midi thru on Yarns to give me 8 mono outs or 4 mono/one 4 voice poly from my Pyramid or MPC Live (probably with the MB on poly to free up the arps and things on Yarns), and the additional gate outs for clocks (would be cool if Hex Inverter added a way to multiply/divide clocks, and/or add arps to the outputs, but I digress). Hopefully mine comes soon...should have arrived today and looks like it’s in the wind with USPS, but I work for a shipping company and everything is chaos after the last holiday so I’ll give them a day or so.

Anyhow, anyone have a link for a super short midi cable, like 6”-8”, preferably sold in the States? I need to cover the smallest distance ever for a midi connection between Yarns and the MB, and the shortest cables I can find are around one foot.

Yeah. I was in the same boat. The shortest I found was the Hosa 1' cable. It actually works great for me as I'm using it between the Digitakt and Digitone and the cable routing is slightly hidden.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2