MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Dirty drum machines...?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Dirty drum machines...?
mousegarden
OK, a radical shift for me, but quite a lot lately I'm "hearing drums" ( hihi ) at certain points in my music, yes, those evil things that people use in that evil dance music type stuff.
I thought, I can do this cheaply and cheerfully, just get a Volca Beats and shove it through effects and overload the mixer etc, or, I can get something more suited to the job in hand to start with. I'm hearing really dirty low bit sounds, but with power, wallop. And also really up front in your face stuff, so I guess I need something versatile. I'm not after complex sequencing, just interesting basic sounds, in hardware, not computer samples.
Any ideas folks?
lisa
It sounds as if you are really looking for something with ”produced” rather than raw drum sounds, correct? If that’s the case I’d put my vote in for Electribe 2. It has flaws as a full production type of groovebox but really shines as a drum machine. Simple, quick to use, powerful, great sounds.
Kent
Jam your drums through as wave folder. Instant awesome.
dubonaire
Jomox
Panason
You can't go wrong with a Machinedrum. If you want something simpler and much more limited, the Vermona is worth looking at.
Jomox machines are buggy and a PITA to program.
Notron fn
I have been eying Kawai XD-5 rack drum modules.

Saw one on ebay where the price had been reduced and then there was a sitewide 15% sale on friday so....

Should be here today.
johny_gtr
Any analog/sample drum machine plus good filter bank, mixer or modular system.

For me Sherman filterbank, Mos-Lab FFB, Megaohm MA-20 (Korg MS-20), Boss KM60, Boss B16, Feedback modular KM euro module. All of them can give some dirt to drum machine sounds.
mousegarden
AAARRGGHH! Choices...
I forgot, I've got all sorts of drum sounds in my Triton and Z1, but, those keyboards are normally being used for other things.
I'm not too good at complex rhythm programming, so a simple interface and easy looping would be good, or, I'd even be happy with lots of good preset patterns that I can muck about with.
I thought about modular drums, but seeing as I've only just downsized that wouldn't really be a good idea!
lisa
The Electribe 2 has really good preset patterns.

Also, the drums in my latest track (signature) was med with the E2. Very little post-processing needed.
widdly
Sonic potions LXR is pretty great for drums. Huge range of sounds and can integrate with modular pretty easily or PC via USB or with midi gear

https://www.sonic-potions.com/lxr
mousegarden
lisa wrote:
The Electribe 2 has really good preset patterns.

Also, the drums in my latest track (signature) was med with the E2. Very little post-processing needed.

That sounds fun! But I'm hearing hip-hop vocals all the time on a lot of those presets, they sort of cry out for them, maybe what it's geared up for?
That's cool though, it may get me into recording vocals again!

thumbs up
dubonaire
Actually something cheap and easy to use that could work for you is the Arturia Drumbrute.
acidbob
Jomox is my go to choice for dirt, in a good way
dubonaire
acidbob wrote:
Jomox is my go to choice for dirt, in a good way

Same
3lbFlax
'Dirt' is quite a broad term but, since you mentioned 'low bit sounds' you might have some cheap fun with a Boss DR-202. Loads of low-quality sounds on board, along with a rough low-pass filter, a few noisy effects, a track for bassline sequencing *and* a bonus MIDI track. It's crap, but it's exactly the right kind of crap.
dan_p
Listen to Kent, Kent speak truth

Kent wrote:
Jam your drums through as wave folder. Instant awesome.
zeit
My vote goes for Sherman Filterbank + one those drum machines that Panason suggested. Machinedrum if you need sequencing/flexibility or Vermona, which is more limited. With that you have all the dirt you need. w00t
Biom
Metasonix is the dirtiest I've heard.
Feeling a bit stupid writing it, as there are billion ways to "dirty" your sounds
Futuresound
You can get a clean drum machine or a dirty drum machine.

You'll still need to jam it through something else for it to sound right.

So get a machine that you like to use, mostly.
gentle_attack
Pocket Operator PO-12 is cheap and sounds crunchy AF right off the bat, and has extremely destructive effects as well. It can be mastered in about an hour, very simple building and chaining patterns. I think it sounds way better than a Volca and is way cheaper taboot.
mycoST
Korg ER-1 can sound pretty dirty, especially through a Boss BX-series mixer in the reds
Euro Trash Bazooka
dubonaire wrote:
Actually something cheap and easy to use that could work for you is the Arturia Drumbrute.

I use one played through a homemade fuzz pedal with an extra blend in it, so I can control how much "dirt" I want. It's perfect.
mhtones
mycoST wrote:
Korg ER-1 can sound pretty dirty, especially through a Boss BX-series mixer in the reds

This!! Exactly why my ER-1 is still around.
mousegarden
Futuresound wrote:

You are absolutely right, but it's finding the right one. I'll check out some of the ones mentioned.
Trouble is, I'm useless with drum machines, I don't have any affinity with them for some reason.
I love drums, a lot. I love playing real drums, it doesn't take me long to get a groove going, I'm not trained, but I do have a strange ability with real drums, no kidding.
A friend has just bought an electronic kit, but I'm not convinced, I have the space for a real kit, but as usual, even here in a village noise would be an issue.
dubonaire
mousegarden wrote:
Futuresound wrote:

You are absolutely right, but it's finding the right one. I'll check out some of the ones mentioned.
Trouble is, I'm useless with drum machines, I don't have any affinity with them for some reason.
I love drums, a lot. I love playing real drums, it doesn't take me long to get a groove going, I'm not trained, but I do have a strange ability with real drums, no kidding.
A friend has just bought an electronic kit, but I'm not convinced, I have the space for a real kit, but as usual, even here in a village noise would be an issue.

That makes no sense. Get an e-drum kit and use headphones.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3