track & hold and sample & hold...

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: Joe., luketeaford, lisa, Kent

D/A A/D
glorious dissonance

track & hold and sample & hold...

Post by D/A A/D » Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:12 am

So can someone explain the difference between track & hold and sample & hold?

It has never been clear to me, as I have only ever owned sample and hold kit.

Alex

Babaluma

Post by Babaluma » Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:32 am

i'm useless, i used to know this! it's explained very well in the synth bible (allen strange text), but i don't have a copy to hand at the mo. know the ms-20 has a track and hold.

The Alison Project
Learning to Wiggle

Post by The Alison Project » Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:54 am

The way the MOTM works.

With a very slow clock, the first half of the clock plays the input signal, The second half of clock samples a voltage from the input signal like a regular s&h.

Ex.
S&H Input - Pink Noise
S&H Output - First part of clock (Pink Noise)
S&H Output - Second part of clock (sampled voltage level from pink noise input)

e-grad
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by e-grad » Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:55 am

S&H = samples the input signal. Every time the gate is high a new sample will be available at the output.

T&H = follows the input signal as long as the gate is high. If the gate is low the last signal is sampled and presented at the output.

wetterberg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by wetterberg » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:16 am

what e-grad said. In other words, it's like opening a gate where the last seen value "sticks"

dkcg
I pity the fool w/o enough VCAs

Post by dkcg » Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:19 pm

I'm not positive, but I think the PlanB ASR is more or less a track and hold device? I could be wrong, dead wrong. :eek:

e-grad
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by e-grad » Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:28 pm

No, an ASR is made up from multiple S&H circuits. S&H 1 output is shifted to S&H 2 that output goes to the S&H 3... Thus every circuit gives out the same samples but delayed. There's no tracking of the incoming signal but "analogue sampling" (If that term makes any sense.).

dkcg
I pity the fool w/o enough VCAs

Post by dkcg » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:34 pm

e-grad wrote:S&H = samples the input signal. Every time the gate is high a new sample will be available at the output.

T&H = follows the input signal as long as the gate is high. If the gate is low the last signal is sampled and presented at the output.
Ahhh, I didn't see that there. So T&H is more like a switching gate?

Personally I prefer the T&A over the S&H and the T&H. :hihi:

suitandtieguy
Hammond King

Post by suitandtieguy » Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:30 am

fyi, the Ray Wilson sample & hold is actually a track & hold.

the clock oscillator that drives it is a pulse train with such an extreme duty cycle it gives the appearance of being a s/h when driven by its internal clock but when you clock it externally it becomes apparent this is not the case.

neandrewthal
full clout y'all
Location: Spending warm summer days indoors writing frightening verse to a buck-toothed girl in Luxembourg

Post by neandrewthal » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:23 pm

suitandtieguy wrote:fyi, the Ray Wilson sample & hold is actually a track & hold.

the clock oscillator that drives it is a pulse train with such an extreme duty cycle it gives the appearance of being a s/h when driven by its internal clock but when you clock it externally it becomes apparent this is not the case.

I tried both of mine with all the square waves I have of any duty cycle and I can't confirm this :confused: What are you using to clock it?
Initiate the sequence, create catastrophe.

suitandtieguy
Hammond King

Post by suitandtieguy » Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:06 am

neandrewthal wrote:I tried both of mine with all the square waves I have of any duty cycle and I can't confirm this :confused: What are you using to clock it?
i don't have one anymore, so if you're getting different results i defer to you.

i'm sorry if i mislead anyone, that is just the behaviour i remember it exhibiting.

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”