MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

track & hold and sample & hold...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author track & hold and sample & hold...
D/A A/D
So can someone explain the difference between track & hold and sample & hold?

It has never been clear to me, as I have only ever owned sample and hold kit.

Alex
Babaluma
i'm useless, i used to know this! it's explained very well in the synth bible (allen strange text), but i don't have a copy to hand at the mo. know the ms-20 has a track and hold.
The Alison Project
The way the MOTM works.

With a very slow clock, the first half of the clock plays the input signal, The second half of clock samples a voltage from the input signal like a regular s&h.

Ex.
S&H Input - Pink Noise
S&H Output - First part of clock (Pink Noise)
S&H Output - Second part of clock (sampled voltage level from pink noise input)
e-grad
S&H = samples the input signal. Every time the gate is high a new sample will be available at the output.

T&H = follows the input signal as long as the gate is high. If the gate is low the last signal is sampled and presented at the output.
wetterberg
what e-grad said. In other words, it's like opening a gate where the last seen value "sticks"
dkcg
I'm not positive, but I think the PlanB ASR is more or less a track and hold device? I could be wrong, dead wrong. eek!
e-grad
No, an ASR is made up from multiple S&H circuits. S&H 1 output is shifted to S&H 2 that output goes to the S&H 3... Thus every circuit gives out the same samples but delayed. There's no tracking of the incoming signal but "analogue sampling" (If that term makes any sense.).
dkcg
e-grad wrote:
S&H = samples the input signal. Every time the gate is high a new sample will be available at the output.

T&H = follows the input signal as long as the gate is high. If the gate is low the last signal is sampled and presented at the output.

Ahhh, I didn't see that there. So T&H is more like a switching gate?

Personally I prefer the T&A over the S&H and the T&H. hihi
suitandtieguy
fyi, the Ray Wilson sample & hold is actually a track & hold.

the clock oscillator that drives it is a pulse train with such an extreme duty cycle it gives the appearance of being a s/h when driven by its internal clock but when you clock it externally it becomes apparent this is not the case.
neandrewthal
suitandtieguy wrote:
fyi, the Ray Wilson sample & hold is actually a track & hold.

the clock oscillator that drives it is a pulse train with such an extreme duty cycle it gives the appearance of being a s/h when driven by its internal clock but when you clock it externally it becomes apparent this is not the case.

I tried both of mine with all the square waves I have of any duty cycle and I can't confirm this confused What are you using to clock it?
suitandtieguy
neandrewthal wrote:
I tried both of mine with all the square waves I have of any duty cycle and I can't confirm this confused What are you using to clock it?

i don't have one anymore, so if you're getting different results i defer to you.

i'm sorry if i mislead anyone, that is just the behaviour i remember it exhibiting.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 1