MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Malgorithm MK2 Bleed
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> The Harvestman  
Author Malgorithm MK2 Bleed
digitalohm
Hi,

I have a Malgorithm MK2 purchased new, and with the input up to 50% and the dry/wet turn full CCW to dry, there is still a considerable amount of noise happening if i have the bit depth at full ccw, it becomes audible at a bit depth of 50%.

Is this to be expected?
mt3
digitalohm wrote:
there is still a considerable amount of noise happening if i have the bit depth at full ccw, it becomes audible at a bit depth of 50%.

Bit depth set fully CCW is lowest bit depth setting.
Bit depth set fully CW is highest bit depth setting.

Frequency set fully CW is lowest sampling resolution setting.
Frequency set fully CCW is highest sampling resolution setting.

Note the asymmetry. When both knobs point to the middle of the module, this represents the highest fidelity.
digitalohm
thanks, but what I'm asking is if there should be an audible bleed when the wet/dry knob is is at full ccw. im testing it atm with the input at full ccw, wet/dry at full ccw, nyquist full ccw, and bit depth full ccw. At these settings I can hear some of the bit depth reduction on the outputs. just wondering if that bleed is normal?
mt3
I don't hear any noise with a cable (sin wave from HD) patched to the input and both Input and Dry/Wet are set to 0. Modifying the other knobs does nothing. All waveshapers are off.
digitalohm
I ran the same test as you, sine form the HD mk2 at a low pitch.

I dont think it's case/power related, brand new elite modular 208.

link to the video for the browsers that do not load the video tag: http://vimeo.com/268698820

per a suggestion from a friend I sent negative voltage to the dry/wet CV using the kermit and the noise does go away on the negative side seriously, i just don't get it
mt3
Ok, I think I recreated something.

Nothing is patched to the input.
Input is set to 0.
Dry/Wet is set to 10.
Bit depth is 50%.
Frequency is fully CCW (fully left), which is highest resolution.
All waveshapers are off.

This results in crackling noise, which oddly enough I was recording last week.
The frequency knob tunes the crackles, as well as filtering them out.
The bit depth set to 0 also tunes/reduces them.
mt3
I get nothing like what you do in the video. Yours are like a low frequency hum. Contact Harvestman, point him to the video.

Your friend I believe recommended using an offset to try to fully close the "VCA", but you would need a DC offset rather than an LFO or envelope. An 8nu8r is always great. As is CVP.
digitalohm
mt3 wrote:
I get nothing like what you do in the video. Yours are like a low frequency hum. Contact Harvestman, point him to the video.

the low hum in the video is the sine wave grin, its just the noise from the bit depth reduction that bleeds through.

im really just trying to find out if this is expected or if it's a faulty module.
mt3
digitalohm wrote:
mt3 wrote:

the low hum in the video is the sine wave grin, its just the noise from the bit depth reduction that bleeds through.

im really just trying to find out if this is expected or if it's a faulty module.

Ah, try it without anything patched into the input.
Also, what happens when you toggle waveshaper #4 red?
When you turn Nyquist frequency down?
digitalohm
ok here is a test with no input

direct link: https://vimeo.com/268720758

the noise persists with the input and wet/dry at 0, through bit depth and waveshaper #4 (all the waveshapers bleed through), as well as nyquist only Dead Banana

ps: is it just me or are the embedded vimeo videos not playing? (ive tried through safari, chrome and firefox)
mt3
Embedded vimeo don't appear for me either. Dunno why.

I don't have such noise.

I forgot to mention there are firmware upgrades available for the Malgorithm which might impact such behaviour. Unsure how to determine the firmware installed though.
digitalohm
turns out it was the case d'oh!

i moved to a PGH Structure 208 and the malgorithm is working as expected.
mt3
digitalohm wrote:
turns out it was the case d'oh!

i moved to a PGH Structure 208 and the malgorithm is working as expected.

w00t
Hmmm, what case/PSU?

Could you make another quick vid of the Malgorithm "working correctly" without anything patched to the input and previous settings? It would help in a variety of ways.
digitalohm
here is the test with the PGH case. Please mind your volumes, towards the end I turn up the dry/wet so you can tell the module is indeed working wink

the original case was an elite modular 208 6U with Make Noise Power (there is some cosmic joke about a Make Noise Power board and Noise issues...).

Moved to a PGH Structure 208

direct link: https://vimeo.com/269097916
mt3
This was very fookin' helpful!
Do you know what PSU your 208 is using? My various PSUs get nowhere near such clean signal. Looks like Malgorithm can be used as a "noisy PSU probe"!
Thanks for posting!
mt3
https://pittsburghmodular.com/structure-208

Looks like a custom PSU.
digitalohm
mt3 wrote:
This was very fookin' helpful!
Do you know what PSU your 208 is using? My various PSUs get nowhere near such clean signal. Looks like Malgorithm can be used as a "noisy PSU probe"!
Thanks for posting!

this is the cleanest I've ever heard a malgorithm myself. I've had older PGH cases which were not so clean, as well as synthrotek powered rails, uzeus, and the elite modular that used the make noise boards. I was a little hesitant going with another PGH case but a few people I know have been using them and raved about how clean the power is.

There is a bit of flicker when you power things down, but from what I read on the thread about them in the main forum, it hasn't caused anyone issues (yet).
digitalohm
Just an update, I tested out another elite modular case with the make noise power and there were no noise issues, it is as quiet as the structure 208 case was. I'm going to assume that the previous issue was some kind of defect on the original elite 6U case.

i did upgrade from the structure 208 case to the elite modular 12U. The flickering with the structure case was not making me feel very good.
mt3
My setup where glitchnoise in the Malgorithm is present uses these PSUs:

* Pittsburgh Cell 90

* Synthrotek Deluxe Power (Synthrotek Universal 6A 15V Power Brick)

* Tiptop uZeus (Cincon power adapter)

* Synthrotek Deluxe Power (Meanwell GS40A15-P1J 2,670 mA Power Brick)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> The Harvestman  
Page 1 of 1