MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Boiler Room 'Machines' - Modular Techno Orchestra?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author Boiler Room 'Machines' - Modular Techno Orchestra?
ReturnCodeZero
So what do people think of this concept?

(disclaimer: I have posted this in artist discussion also but here as well to discuss the concept not the artists involved.)

https://boilerroom.tv/session/Machines

Do you think this could work with other types of music?

I'd love to know more about specific routing and set up and who is doing what etc. Does anyone have any other examples of this ' Modular Orchestra Concept'?
BananaPlug
I’d like it better without a D. J. Otherwise it’s likely to be predictable thumpy dance music with blinky lights for show. Perhaps I’m being way too skeptical.
Jefro
Speedy J kicks ass! I love the concept. Listening now.
ReturnCodeZero
Jefro wrote:
Speedy J kicks ass! I love the concept. Listening now.


I thought some good some a tad monotonous.
nickgrys
ReturnCodeZero wrote:
So what do people think of this concept?

(disclaimer: I have posted this in artist discussion also but here as well to discuss the concept not the artists involved.)

https://boilerroom.tv/session/Machines

Do you think this could work with other types of music?

I'd love to know more about specific routing and set up and who is doing what etc. Does anyone have any other examples of this ' Modular Orchestra Concept'?


I think it could work with any type of music that you'd make with these types of systems. Adding more people is no different than expanding your own system. There's an advantage of more hands to do the work.

Routing could be done by giving each person the same master clock and each person one input on the PA mixer. I'm sure there are many ways to do it though. Manually beat syncing would be possible, but gets more difficult with more people.
Liddlepud
We did this a few years ago at the 2014 Hackney Wicked Festival. We shared the master clock across 10 different modular systems (each with a buffered multiple) and then just played.

The main issue is who runs the kick as it can get pretty messy sonically if you're not careful. We had a batton with "drums" written on it and passed it around between the players so that only one person was running the kicks. Luckily we had James from Flipside Soundsystems running the sound and we set up in the middle of the warehouse so that we could play around with quad panning whihc was a lot of fun.
Krankenwagen
Boredoms have been playing with a similar-ish concept for quite a few years now. Yamatsuka Eye in the middle acting as conductor with a few bits of electronic gear and his “guitar tree”. Around him are drummers (I think there are 8 or 9 in this performance but they have played with over 100 drummers.) and in the outer circle there are around 15-20 guitarists.



Pelsea
Quote:
Does anyone have any other examples of this ' Modular Orchestra Concept'?


Check out “The Hub” with John Bischoff and others. This group, based around Mills College, has been in action since 1986.
ReturnCodeZero
Liddlepud wrote:
We did this a few years ago at the 2014 Hackney Wicked Festival. We shared the master clock across 10 different modular systems (each with a buffered multiple) and then just played.

The main issue is who runs the kick as it can get pretty messy sonically if you're not careful. We had a batton with "drums" written on it and passed it around between the players so that only one person was running the kicks. Luckily we had James from Flipside Soundsystems running the sound and we set up in the middle of the warehouse so that we could play around with quad panning whihc was a lot of fun.


That sounds top, I thought it might be a case where one person(s) deal with drums, others synths and so on and so forth. Might get a tad boring that way though.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 1
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group