MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Makenoise QMMG is back
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next [all]
Author Makenoise QMMG is back
mmelnick
Just saw this on Facebook -

The QMMG returns!! The Black and Gold Quad Multi-Mode Gate will be sold in person only, at the Make Noise 10-Year Celebration next month. More info here: http://www.makenoisemusic.com/yr-celebration/yr-celebration

https://youtu.be/0EZgkZrf-vs
damase
Amazing
I wonder how ‘limited’ edition it is ie how many units are being made for the reissue.
It sounds incredible, i thought the optomix mk2 sounded too far off from the original... im glad they are not modifying the circuit of this version.
Also curious of the difference in having a pot for the mode selection, i kindof doubt they blend somehow but that would be a great addition worth mentioning

Funny i just finally got an original a week before this announcement, otherwise id be planning a journey to the anniversary party to get one of these.
lud
What a beauty... Too far away from Blighty though, hope they renege and sell a few online!
hawkfuzz
Been debating going to this event by myself for a bit, and this is making it more desirable. Tyondai will be so great and if I manage to pick this up, I'll be thrilled.
restlessboy
Bit of a shame they’re not making these more widely available. Especially as they’ve taken the trouble to promote it online. Was disappointed after seeing the video go up that it was such a restricted release. waah
boramx
They should crimp those doofuses that will swan dive in and buy 5 for scalping on ye old web. Kinda like Heady Topper Ale there should be a limit.

Myself, however, a master of disguise, will evade this and see you on Reverb, losers. Dead Banana

lud
Sure to be collectible but it will be expensive anyway right? So maybe no room for excessive profiteering.
HIMA
carefully worded to say the black and gold edition is limited...
rew_
HIMA wrote:
carefully worded to say the black and gold edition is limited...

well, except this is on the product page:

Quote:
Due to our severely limited vactrol stock, the QMMG reissue is a strictly limited edition, sold only in person at Make Noise 10-year anniversary event
zengomi
Oh, Uli..........
BrokenBo
yes. limited edition modules. incoming modulargrid offers for 2k...fun days ahead.
sempervirent
IIRC the original QMMG was discontinued because matching vactrols for a consistent response across each channel was such a pain. Ditto for the Optomix, which might be why the circuit was redesigned. But that's just part of the vactrol mystique.
Summa
sempervirent wrote:
IIRC the original QMMG was discontinued because matching vactrols for a consistent response across each channel was such a pain. Ditto for the Optomix, which might be why the circuit was redesigned. But that's just part of the vactrol mystique.

also the Vactrols are Cadmium based LED's so they're now banned for most parts of the world (which is a good things since Cadmium is some nasty shit), I guess MN can get away with a limited edition, but maybe that's also why they're only sold at the MN HQ?
hermbot
Man, I'd love to get my hands on a QMMG, but I also don't want to mortgage my house. I've thought about building the Thomas White Quad instead.
sempervirent
Summa wrote:
also the Vactrols are Cadmium based LED's so they're now banned for most parts of the world (which is a good things since Cadmium is some nasty shit), I guess MN can get away with a limited edition, but maybe that's also why they're only sold at the MN HQ?

Yeah, I've read about that here and elsewhere. Excelitas/Vactec/Perkin-Elmer/etc discontinued their vactrols but Silonex, XVive, and CoolAudio still make them (CoolAudio and XVive even use the same part numbers that Excelitas used).

I haven't done 1:1 comparisons though. Was cadmium sulfide the secret sauce or just a vestige of a pre-RoHS manufacturing ethos? No idea. Maybe there's a thread here where someone compares all the different brands, vintage and modern.

The demo sounds great either way.
theflyingfridge
I often regret selling mine... it is a really great design. Such a juicy filter! I’m really curious what these will cost at the event.
justin3am
I had two until 2014; bought both when they were new. I still have one. It's one of those 'pry it from my cold, dead hands' modules. The black and gold panel is a beaut but I have a soft spot for the old yellow-pointer Rean knobs.
maaaks
hermbot wrote:
've thought about building the Thomas White Quad instead.

I picked up a cheap half built Thomas White QLPG to try to satisfy the QMMG lust. It kinda worked. Kinda. Sort of. not really
hermbot
maaaks wrote:
hermbot wrote:

I picked up a cheap half built Thomas White QLPG to try to satisfy the QMMG lust. It kinda worked. Kinda. Sort of. not really

Not really worked in the not-able-to-quite-get-it-functional way or, the not-up-to-snuff-with-a-QMMG kind of way?
tuj
I have a QMMG and a TW dual LPG. The TW is more 'Buchla' in sound to my ears, the QMMG has more resonance and a faster response.
acgenerator
boramx wrote:
They should crimp those doofuses that will swan dive in and buy 5 for scalping on ye old web. Kinda like Heady Topper Ale there should be a limit.

Myself, however, a master of disguise, will evade this and see you on Reverb, losers. Dead Banana

PM sent for the Heady Topper.
eyeiaye
Wait, so the 40 buck ticket covers the qmmg?
TemplarK
Moog Noise.
maaaks
hermbot wrote:
maaaks wrote:
hermbot wrote:

Not really worked in the not-able-to-quite-get-it-functional way or, the not-up-to-snuff-with-a-QMMG kind of way?

I got it working without too much trouble, but it's just not quite as gnarly as the QMMG, plus it's missing HP mode and is roughly 12 meters deep.

It's still pretty great, but if a reasonably priced QMMG came up, I'd jump at the chance. Thankfully such a thing doesn't exist, so my bank account can rest easy.
ether
Dang. Bit impractical to get to NC from Australia just for one module.

Here’s hoping limited edition means black, with regular aluminium panel versions readily available. But I doubt that given the vactrol situation.

Insert sad banana here.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next [all]
Page 1 of 10