MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Breakbeats its evolution, and current state of PC software
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software  
Author Breakbeats its evolution, and current state of PC software
alexander92
Watched a video the other day with some rather interesting concepts. The host presents how people chopped their drums back in the day, and it's whole influence on (computer) based music. The guy has a Phd in breakbeats, how cool is that. Link to youtube video: Loop Breakbeat and Deconstruction

At the end, he talks about how he is researching the algorytms that defined groove in the fore mentioned breakbeats. In the comment section the guy points to software which can be demo'ed. It sounds spectacular. They were able to cut out most of the drums from a single drum break and it's groove.

Also, from other instruments, the research lab have several algorytms to extract certain contents. Kinda baffled how good those demos sounds. Perhaps in 20 year will google make the music for us?¿ Kinda scary though on the other head, cause I know for sure music software can be automated and replicated like a real human being in the next 30 -+ years orso.

On the other hand, it's cool to try out, from what i've gathered the software is written in python, no gui or anything, just some basic commands. I will try it out tonight, and keep it updated.

I also went on github, there seems a plenthora of music related audio programs. Linux is full of good tools for audio aswell judging fom the audacity documentation. (in a sense that emulations of certain hardware plugins dont really exist, but more praticial tools. I like to move forward and see what the future beholds us, because clones of hardware analog synths dont satisfy me at all.

Does anyone use particular instruments, like programming related software which one should know about?

Cheers.
rjungemann
I haven't tried it yet, but Accusonus Regroover allegedly uses machine learning to extract individual drum hits and lets your process your rhythms.

As far as breaks go, I'm a huge fan of tracker-style software such as Renoise. There are a lot of great convenience features in Renoise for slicing and mapping samples, as well as retriggering for stutter effects and modulating the loop offset for glitch effects. I know many electronic artists have used trackers in the past. The ones that immediately come to mind are Aphex Twin, Machinedrum, Legowelt, and Venetian Snares.
alexander92
Offcourse, but those are the old days. Sure, I have tremendous respect for artists like these. But at this day and age, there are so many clever possibilties, which could be fun exploring. I'm currently trialing matlab, with tools provided by https://www.audiolabs-erlangen.de. Kinda hard to search the site, and I'm not sure if you can buy them wether or not. But anyway, im currently downloading: TSM Toolbox, Tempogram Toolbox and SM Toolbox, demo's sound pretty good.
rjungemann
I have a project I'm working on that lets me use different generative techniques for rhythms I'm playing with but I gotta clean up the docs a bit. Might start a thread on it—presented it twice this month, but in the meantime you can check out this file to see an example. The hihat rhythm is generated with an L-System, the snare rhythm is generated with a euclidian algorithm, and the lead melody is generated using a Markov chain.

(You can view a video of it here)

Definitely with ya on using new techniques to manipulate sound and generate new rhythms. There's been a renaissance of sorts with trackers recently which I love but also there's so much uncovered ground.

VCV Rack and Numerology have helped me get out of a rut as well. Stuff like using one sequencer to generate the rhythm and another sequencer to generate the notes, and also triggering recording, playback, and modulation of sampler modules is super ripe for experimentation (Numerology's sampler may seem simple but everything in it can be modulated—but one of the 3rd-party VCV Rack libraries has a great sampler module as well, and the SQUONK sequencer is crazy cool).
alexander92
Wow, that sounds good. I tried renoise back in the day, the sound quality in my observation was the best i've ever experienced within software. Likely the same with the software you created, interesting. Keep us updated if you dont mind.

I agree, Five12 and VCV rack are definetly game changers, i'd say I had the most fun with these pieces of software and ableton. Currently exploring more ground though as mentioned in the first post.
alexander92
Did not receive the trial of matlab for what ever reason, anyway here is what the guy mentioned in the video https://github.com/Carlsouthall/adtlib

http://dmtlab.bcu.ac.uk/ADT/
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software  
Page 1 of 1