MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Noob with a Korg SQ-1
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Noob with a Korg SQ-1
baronofedge69
So I got my first sequencer, I'm trying to use it with a Korg MS2000b, a DX reface, and a Novation Mininova. End goal is I want to sync it up to Garageband's clock (I swear that's not where tracks will be produced,) and I have zero clue how to do that. I'm a total noob, and any kind of advice helps.
Panason
The SQ1 is supposed to be able to sync to incoming MIDI clock via USB... sounds dubious to me but maybe it works. Connect the SQ1 to the computer via USB and adjust sync settings on both the SQ1 and Garageband... I have no idea if Garageband sends out MIDI clock.... seriously, i just don't get it
Monotremata
You dont have to adjust anything on the SQ-1 at all. Just set it up in Garageband so it syncs to it. You should have a MIDI interface called SQ-1 available. Not sure why MIDI sync over USB sounds so 'dubious', it works perfectly fine, and is actually the only way to sync the SQ-1 to anything except a Korg Volca or with a CV clock signal (which is kind of a pain to do).

EDIT: Oh wait just noticed all your gear is MIDI only.. Wont work. When the SQ-1 is synced to a MIDI clock, it stops sending out MIDI and only sends out CV/Gate. The SQ-1 has to be its own clock to send out MIDI information.
th0mas
Given that the USB MIDI route won't work (which sucks), what may work would be to connect one of your audio outputs to the SYNC IN on the SQ-1, and play a single cycle square wave. Even AC-coupled interfaces usually can trigger devices because they don't need to hold the voltage for very long.

It would be kinda cheesy, but its worth a shot.
owen
The SQ-1 is great "bang for the buck" but it definitely also has some annoying limitations. I enjoy mine very much, but it works best as master clock. Something like an Arturia Beatstep Pro or Keystep, or Doepfer Dark Time would be better at syncing to MIDI.

Another idea: you could try making your own click track. Find or record yourself a 5V DC trigger pulse. If your audio interface has extra outputs beyond the main out stereo pair, use one of them to send that pulse sample into the "sync in" of the SQ-1. I think you'll have to send those pulses at twice the BPM of your track, because the "Korg Sync" is 2PPQn by default. I'm not sure if this will work with the SQ-1 but it's worth a shot since you already have it. Even if it does work, I think you'll find that the sync pulses don't start the SQ-1 sequencer, and you'll have to punch-in manually on a downbeat.
Monotremata
owen wrote:
The SQ-1 is great "bang for the buck" but it definitely also has some annoying limitations. I enjoy mine very much, but it works best as master clock. Something like an Arturia Beatstep Pro or Keystep, or Doepfer Dark Time would be better at syncing to MIDI.

Another idea: you could try making your own click track. Find or record yourself a 5V DC trigger pulse. If your audio interface has extra outputs beyond the main out stereo pair, use one of them to send that pulse sample into the "sync in" of the SQ-1. I think you'll have to send those pulses at twice the BPM of your track, because the "Korg Sync" is 2PPQn by default. I'm not sure if this will work with the SQ-1 but it's worth a shot since you already have it. Even if it does work, I think you'll find that the sync pulses don't start the SQ-1 sequencer, and you'll have to punch-in manually on a downbeat.

You can adjust the pulses on the SQ-1 itself (I think), but yeah by default, the Volca sync stuff is weird. IIRC, the Volca's send twice the pulses per beat that a 'normal' clock signal does, which is just one pulse per beat. I had sync troubles though using an audio pulse, or even a clock pulse out from Silent Way. I couldn't get it to recognize an audio pulse at all, and when using Silent Way to send out a clock, the SQ-1 hiccups for about 2-3 beats and will finally lock on by the beginning of the second bar in the song. As long as you dont want whatever its triggering to start off a song at measure 1 it should work, but you could run into the same type of trouble I had with it.
baronofedge69
Thanks for all the help, still trying to figure it out, though. I didn't bring this up prior bc I didn't think it could be relevant, but I do have an Axiom Air 32. Could I use that as a sequencer by any chance?
Panason
Quote:
Not sure why MIDI sync over USB sounds so 'dubious'

You answered your own question! Most of the cheap toys Korg and Roland have been making have issues when trying to integrate them with a larger setup.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1