MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

What are those little VCAs that stick onto patch cables?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author What are those little VCAs that stick onto patch cables?
badbucket
You know those little things that you put on the end of a patch cable and it just has a little knob and CV input? a tiny little VCA that you put there?

for controlling the amplitude of a signal going through the patch cables before it reaches the next module?

Looks like a very cool way to save money.

When I build my modular system, I'll have a dedicated VCA with a few more functions but I think that having loads of these will just allow to breath life into every patch and probably cheap as well.

Do you know what they are called or where I can get them?

Thank you very much for any help!

smile
chaosick
badbucket wrote:
You know those little things that you put on the end of a patch cable and it just has a little knob and CV input? a tiny little VCA that you put there?

for controlling the amplitude of a signal going through the patch cables before it reaches the next module?

When I build my modular system, I'll have a dedicated VCA with a few more functions but I think that having loads of these will just allow to breath life into every patch and probably cheap as well.

Do you know what they are called or where I can get them?

Thank you very much for any help!

smile

No Idea WTF you are talking about unless you mean the 0 HP mystic Circuits stuff, which seems kind of annoying and tacking to me (we have enough things connected and floating in the air between stuff nailed down, why do I need more just to save a few hp?)
MrNezumi
I think you are referring to attenuator cables. Koma is one brand that makes them.

Oh, and they aren't VCAs.
badbucket
damn i kind find the video where i saw it...

it was a really small thing, ill try to explain what its likes in further detail.

say you have an oscillator, and a filter.

you want to take the output of the oscillator into the input of the filter.

you take a cable out of the oscillator and into the thing.

and out of the thing and into the filter.

the thing has a little cv input as well.

basically it is a voltage controlled amp.

thats really small and just sits inbetween two patch cables.
Kent
It is an attenuator and not a VCA.
badbucket
yeah yeah but i saw one that i think was a real vca

just imagine one of those attenuators with a little cv input

wouldnt that be awesome?

i think i saw one

i cant find the video though

does anyone know what it might be called? vaguely? where to look? what to search? halp?

and would be able to build one myself? the circuitry cant be that complicated.
badbucket
SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! screaming goo yo screaming goo yo screaming goo yo screaming goo yo screaming goo yo screaming goo yo screaming goo yo screaming goo yo screaming goo yo screaming goo yo screaming goo yo screaming goo yo screaming goo yo screaming goo yo screaming goo yo screaming goo yo screaming goo yo screaming goo yo screaming goo yo screaming goo yo screaming goo yo screaming goo yo
KSS
Search for a Vactrol VCA circuit. That's the only type I can think of which won't need a battery or other power.
Joe.
But a VCA needs +/-12v seriously, i just don't get it

starthief
http://www.mysticcircuits.com/p/0hp-modular.html

http://schenk.work/gerridae/
mskala
badbucket wrote:

If this existed - which as others have described is difficult - why would you expect it to be cheaper than other kinds of VCA?
KSS
A vactrol VCA may be made using two parts. Three if you DIY the vactrol. Optoisolator and a resistor to keep from blowing out the LED. Two parts.

LED, photocell, and resistor is three.

Add a capacitor and you can make a VCF.
KSS
Joe. wrote:
But a VCA needs +/-12v seriously, i just don't get it .

Don't despair, Joe. A VCA can be made with 9v only. Or less. SH-101 doesn't have 24 volts. Korg littlebits VCA uses 5V. See quite a few guitar pedals for 9V examples.

VCA's may even use no power except the CV as the Vactrol VCA just described.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 1