MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Thank you, Doepfer! (Ethernet mults)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Thank you, Doepfer! (Ethernet mults)
hippo1
I whined and whinged about earlier about 'having too much stuff, spread about in separate cases'; yes, easily solved with patchbays... but then there are all the weirdo patchcords needed (half a million 1/4-to-3.5mm cords). I just picked up a pair (and have another pair on the way) of Doepfer's new Ethernet-compatible mults (A-180-9, I think). Great idea, using existing tech to 'better mousetrap' the patchbay!
I'm having schnitzel tonight, to celebrate Herr Doepfer! Danke!

(Hope this doesn't sound like a sales pitch; I've got no irons in those fires!)

Keep on wiggling!
andybizarre
Yeah, those a great, I bought mine the moment they came out. Kept me from continuing a rather disastrous DIY project of mine with the same goal. However, if you wish to use longer cables than the ones included, make sure you are buying at least the same cable category and shielding. The longer the better. I tried some cheap 3m Cat5e/FTP cables and got a *lots* of crosstalk.
Radical Ans
Evaton Technologies has a similar solution using HDMI cables to connect up to 18 signals over a single HDMI cable: http://www.evatontechnologies.com/link
starthief
I had a semi-DIY solution that was a bit awkward, and they saved me from that. I'm doing fine with 8 foot Cat6 cables (mine came with ridiculously short Cat5).

I find if I plug a sound source into, say, "F" on one module but connect "E" on the other to my mixer, I can still hear F faintly -- so I started worrying about crosstalk. But if I connect anything correctly on both ends, it's grounded properly (or, I guess, shares a common 0V reference) and all is well.
ersatzplanet
starthief wrote:
I had a semi-DIY solution that was a bit awkward, and they saved me from that. I'm doing fine with 8 foot Cat6 cables (mine came with ridiculously short Cat5).

I was going to DIY myself a similar setup. I was going to normalize all the jacks to ground so if I wasn't using a line, it would add a ground path in the cable on top of the shielding.
starthief
ersatzplanet wrote:
starthief wrote:

I was going to DIY myself a similar setup. I was going to normalize all the jacks to ground so if I wasn't using a line, it would add a ground path in the cable on top of the shielding.

That seems like the way to go. Even though the Doepfer is passive I was kind of expecting an optional-but-recommended ground terminal or at least a standard ribbon cable or something
Foghorn
These things are pretty good, aren't they.
I think the 0.5 meter long cables that come with them are meant for cases that are mounted on top of one another.
I made some 5 foot long (and 8 ft.) cables from Belden 8 conductor and used a crimper to install the ends.
It works fine.
However i do have ground wires between cases.
I run 10 gauge wire between these 0 volt bond points.
Ground Terminal picture

I had to laugh at the mention of "a rather disastrous DIY project " as I was going down that same rabbit hole.
I was going to use another sort of multi-pin connector and was pleasantly surprised by the use of the 10 pin modular connector in these.
I guess the name fits the use.

Foghorn
andybizarre
I just found out that the new Intellijel 1U Octalinks are compatible to the Doepfers! hyper
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1