MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Cyclone TT-303 vs Cyclone TT-303 MK2
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Cyclone TT-303 vs Cyclone TT-303 MK2
badbucket
bass bot

cyclone

303 clone

ive watched a few videos of these and it sounds pretty damn fat. i think i might get one.

do you know what the difference is between the first one and the mk2?

btw i cant afford a god damn roland rb-303, thats why im looking at clones lol.
oscilloscope
I got my TT303 mk1 in 2015. So far it has worked flawlessly. Great sounding unit.... Potentiometer knobs are a little bit waggly, but it doesn't affect function at all. No other issue.
UI and look is pretty much like the TB303.

I don't think the mk1 is still sold by Cyclone, but the mk2 is. I hear mk2s seem a little sturdier, but they also somewhat updated the look in a more "rounded" style different from the original TB303. Some people argue that the mk1 sounds slightly better than the mk2, but I haven't checked myself and neither have I seen evidence of this. I believe a protective plastic cover is available with the mk2.

I recommend the TT303, mk1 or mk2.
tobb
Have had two TT-303 MKI,one sounded extreme close to a TB-303,the other one was a total disappointment,be careful when buying a MKI thinking you will have the best sounding unit.

I still have one TT-303 and a TB-303
Panason
The mk2 's sequencer has some improvements and additions and they also fixed the mk1's problematic knobs . It's a pretty good deal... you also get CV outs so you can use that groovy sequencer with non-MIDI analogs and it comes with polycarbonate protective lid (that all gear should come with!), and a carry bag as well.

There's an a/b comparison test with an original 303 on Youtube.... couldn't really hear anything different that couldn't be down to the fact that these are analog machines with no digital control of synth parameters so it isn't possible to set the envelopes on two machines to precisely the same setting.
skkatter
Panason wrote:
you also get CV outs

The MK1 has Gate/CV out also. I've got an MK1, it sounds close to the TB303 but still a bit off. It's worth the money though.
neonmercury1
Had a MK1 and it was close to a tb but not quite good enough. i heard a couple that sounded better but i played a dinsync 303 and it was much better, the resonance sounded much closer to me. i will build one of those
gruebleengourd
My experience witha tt mk1 is that the parameter ranges are different between the tb303 and the tt303, but that you can dial in near identical sounds.

This comes from have a tb and tt side by side and programming 'unison' sounds from the same sequence.
Panason
Most of the 303 sounds on classic acid records are processed (usually distortion) and multitracked and/or made with modified 303s eg Devilfish...
gkalis
so would anyone have the verdict on which sounds the closest to the original?
for example listen to this wonder, just one tb303 with some delay etc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0T6yvXJhRLc&t=1274s

anything close to this?
anselmi
I tried a MKII some days ago and found it completely different in response and operation to my MKI...all the knobs seems to have a very different callibration and range, so it felt really like a different machine seriously, i just don't get it
ngarjuna
Assuming a TB is out of the question (it is for me)...These days if absolute fidelity is your aim get an RE-303. The Avalon is extremely close with some small differences (good and bad), so if fidelity plus more modern features is your aim, get that. If those are still more than you want to spend the TT or a well made x0xb0x would be my next choices. There seems to be a wide range of calibrations amongst that tier of emulations so it’s hard to say which is better or what the difference is (sonically) between a mk i and mk ii as a generality; but a TT or x0x should both get most people more than close enough.
nectarios
Have played with two mk1s that friends have and tried a mk2 at the shop.
The mk2 envelope and accent amount, went higher on the mk2 than both the mk1s I've played with. Of course as a result the sound from the mk2 would eassily be brighter just from playing with it as you would if you'd play the mk1.
Mk2 looks like a pencil case, but soundwise, its the one for me...although the mk1 looks the part!

For the record I own an Andy Pledger custom job x0xb0x, which does not nail the TB-303 sound my band mate has, in our project.

I've given up trying to find something that nails the TB-303 sound. If the filter is in the same ballpark, the sequencer programming is where its at for me.
Panason
ngarjuna wrote:
The Avalon is extremely close with some small differences (good and bad), so if fidelity plus more modern features is your aim, get that.

The Avalon is not any closer than the TT, ie both sound identical to a 303 for all intents and purposes, and the TT's sequencer is actually more "modern", ie more capable than the Avalon's. The Avalon costs nearly 3 times as much because it's American and has better hardware ( box, knobs etc), but still overpriced IMO.
ngarjuna
Panason wrote:
ngarjuna wrote:
The Avalon is extremely close with some small differences (good and bad), so if fidelity plus more modern features is your aim, get that.

The Avalon is not any closer than the TT, ie both sound identical to a 303 for all intents and purposes, and the TT's sequencer is actually more "modern", ie more capable than the Avalon's. The Avalon costs nearly 3 times as much because it's American and has better hardware ( box, knobs etc), but still overpriced IMO.

No, they don’t bothsound identical. The Avalon also features a much more modern sequencer, modulation envelopes, the filter cartridge system, an adjustable sub, a host of iO: MIDI, Din, gate/pitch/accent/filter CV, accent decay so your opinion on pricing seeems uninformed.
Panason
Have you actually used a tt303 ? The sequencer is more advanced (read the manual here to see what it can do) and it has most of that I/O you mention.
ngarjuna
Panason wrote:
Have you actually used a tt303 ? The sequencer is more advanced (read the manual here to see what it can do) and it has most of that I/O you mention.

I sure have, mk i and ii. Have you ever used an Avalon?

Because even if those features were mostly comparable (they’re not: the TT has way more limited io capabilities and the Avalon interface has 16 step buttons which are not comparable whatsoever to the TT’s sequencer) that would still conveniently ignore the sub, a whole other envelope, the cart system, the tracking knob, on board biasing (for the VCF and VCA), the part for part similarity of the circuit path, independent VCA decay etc. Not to mention the hardware.
Panason
Ok. I'm not going to argue about which is the best sounding 303 clone... lol it's 2018.

I don't have an Avalon, it isn't available in the UK and I don't import gear, (plus for a grand I know I wouldn't be getting a 303 clone)... but I have read its manual and had a good look at what people have said about it. It had some issues (maybe have been fixed since).

Arguing about what is and isn't overpriced is a waste of time since it's entirely subjective... The TT's sequencer has features that the Avalon doesn't and which make it preferable to me... MIDI control of the patterns using MIDI notes, with instant pattern switching, for example.
ngarjuna
Panason wrote:
Ok. I'm not going to argue about which is the best sounding 303 clone... lol it's 2018.

Quote:
The Avalon is not any closer than the TT, ie both sound identical to a 303 for all intents and purposes, and the TT's sequencer is actually more "modern", ie more capable than the Avalon's.

Quote:
Arguing about what is and isn't overpriced is a waste of time since it's entirely subjective...

Quote:
The Avalon costs nearly 3 times as much because it's American and has better hardware ( box, knobs etc), but still overpriced IMO.

Dead Banana
Panason
Yes. I meant that after opinions have been stated, arguing further is a waste of time. Sonic fidelity is subjective, as is "expensive".

You are welcome to post a side by side comparison of the two sequencers. IMO even if someone can afford the Avalon they should take a close look at the TT, that is all. More expensive is not always better.

I see in the Avalon thread that people are having issues. No issues with the TT mk2 as far I've seen -in my machine or in comments.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1