MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

how good of a modular can i build with US$1000???
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author how good of a modular can i build with US$1000???
badbucket
hey

i got 1300 australian or about 1000 US.

im interested in building a very interesting, customised, functional, awesome modular system. i want to make some mad experimental electronic music using this modular monster and also Ableton Live and VCV Rack. i already have a fair bit of experience in those two and a large repertoire of music.

anyway,

a few things im hoping for is a vco, amp, adsr, filter, multiples/unity, mutable instruments peaks, noise oscillator, random voltage generator, random gates generator, clock and some way of dividing and multiplying the clock and maybe some other wacky stuff.

i have no idea how i feel about sequencers right now. whether i want something big, small or to just use Ableton, sequencer VSTs or VCV rack somehow to control it.

if i manage to buy all the essentials and still have extra money i might get some more wacky modules and some more of the same things.

this little thing seems to work exactly like a VCA am i right? http://schenk.work/gerridae/
you can never have enough VCAs. i feel like this dude would be a cool way to get tonnes of VCAs cheaply. thoughts?

NOTE: my budget may increase to about 1500 US overtime

help me with advice, thoughts, suggestions on modules and anything you might have to say

SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger!
Joe.
Can you solder?

There's a few kits that could save you a little cash if you put in the time.

badbucket
never soldered but probably can

i built this thing successfully if that counts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sl-46gEwTzA

i would be up to some soldering of fairly simple modules
Joe.
badbucket wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sl-46gEwTzA

Wow, you've got small hands mate. Perfect for all the tiny controls in Eurorack though Miley Cyrus

The Passive LPG's look good, but I'd be worried about the price once you get them here. USPS for a module sized box is usually $22.75 Australian. There's quite a few options for Dual/Triple/Quad VCA's that would be the same price as multiple passive LPG's+shipping (and a true VCA wont bleed like the LPG will)

Definitely check out the 'Buy sell trade' area of the forums regularly,(the 'BST'). If you search for 'Aus' you'll occasionally find users selling gear cheaply, and it's a good way to meet local wigglers.

Got a modular grid plan for your synth yet?

moremagic
to stay affordable a 0-coast and mother 32 might be your best bet, you wouldnt have to buy a case, and youd have no empty hp to sing their sweet siren song
Robscorch
Do the smart thing and don't think you can just spend $1500.00 and that's it. IT really really isn't that cheap. You have cables to buy a case... AND it seems you want a kitchen sink kinda system which you won't do for this sorta money. Prices are dropping and what not, but this has never been a cheap hobby even DIY you spend more than you would like to believe. If you have no experience with solider don't go off buying an oscillator and spending 80+ in components for it not to work. Start small and buy simple kits to get you started. Electronic hobby kits are great to get some skills before you go mucking up a Thomas White LPG or oscillators or the like. ALSO be aware of the amount of surface mount kits coming out. There are other tools you will need not just a soldering iron. Oh additionally there will be other expenses here as well, but electronics is a great hobby, but don't just solder thinking you can save money. If you don't already have the tools your spending money on them as well. ALSO if you have no patience and want more instant like results DIY will probably not be for you. You like problem solving waiting for things and shopping for components then by all means this is for you.

Your going to have to scrimp and think smaller and I'm sure you won't be satisfied with this, but your probably looking at more like $2-2.5K to do what you want to do by the time your said and done. Build it over time and get a decent case you will want rails not sliding nuts they are a PITA. Case power is also a thing research helps. For your situation a Doepfer low cost case would be great I have a 6U that I paid 260.00 for and a little more to ship. I have three other cases, but this was the cheapest and used. Right off the bat your spending about $300.00 for a case that's like 1/5th of your budget. As said buy used when you can and look for combo modules to save space. Peaks and Distling are great.

Look at getting an Korg SQ-1 it's handy for all sorts of things and it's a cheap sequencer that won't take up HP space in your rack. For your budget I would ditch the idea of having a sequencer or even filter in your rack at least for now and stick to the DAW to do this. AND if your considering that do some research on Expert sleepers if you plan on incorporating your module with DAWs it's a much easier way, but certainly not the only one. thumbs up

I'm not trying to be a negative Nancy type in fact if your serious figure out a way to acquire more money. Not saying that you should sling drugs and rob people no no no... just work over time at the job... paint fences for people... walk doggos. seriously, i just don't get it Hell if you can manage to make money preforming do that, but every thing you actually DO will be faster than waiting on some sort of arbitrary budget.
Joe.
I totally agree with Robscorch, with the budget you have the only real option would be going completely second hand.

With what you have now you could get

2nd Hand 'Tiptop happy ending kit' (there's someone in Vic selling a LC9 for $350, much better choice imho)
2nd hand 0-Coast
2nd hand SQ-1
2nd hand Peaks

Would leave you with enough to buy a dozen cables. Maybe a 2nd hand 4MS RCD if you got the Happy ending kit instead of the LC9.

That almost covers everything you're after.

smutek
You could look around for a Pittsburgh Modular System 10.1+ - they seem to be going for around $1000 US new and probably cheaper used. It'll give you a lot of what you're looking for and if you get the 10.1 + you'll have a nice skiff with about 45 HP left for additional modules. They come with cables as well.

I bought one about a year ago. I filled it up and moved into a Doepfer 9U LC case, which is now almost full - but once my Doepfer case is full I'll have the Pittsburgh skiff to fall back to.

Overall I found the 10.1+ to be a good starting point as well as a really good value for the money. Highly recommend.
badbucket
thanks guys i really appreciate the honest replies!

but joe, i must ask...

what use is an LC9 pistol in a eurorack modular system, especially in Australia? the gun laws do not permit this. explain?
Reality Checkpoint
badbucket wrote:
what use is an LC9 pistol in a eurorack modular system, especially in Australia? the gun laws do not permit this. explain?

Doepfer Low Cost 9u case:

badbucket
i know i was joking!!!

ok back to subject of mad analogue synths...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mf0Z34LJ8Y8

i might just build this thing for the case, it gets pretty strong by the time you've done those corner pieces of packing tape and all.

and its just gona sit on my desk

plus its cheap

gives more money to buy the modules
Joe.
badbucket wrote:
i might just build this thing for the case, it gets pretty strong by the time you've done those corner pieces of packing tape and all.

That's effectively a Happy Ending Kit. (uZeus + rails + end cheeks). There's a manufactures warning that uZeus uses the rails as a heatsink. I wouldnt ever place it in a cardboard skiff.

btw, if you want to embed videos paste the youtube address, remove the 's' from 'https' in the link, and then wrap the video tags around it thumbs up

modularblack
knowing only euro prices I convert your budget to 820 € based on the current exchange rate.

First you need a case. I suggest the Doepfer Low Cost Series. For this I calculate with the A-100LC3 Low Cost Case for 185€, but I would suggest to get a bigger one for future expenses.

Then you need Cables and multiples or stackables etc. and I would plan this with about 60€.

So this would make 575€ for modules.

This is not much in modular world, but you can get an OSC, an Envelope, a Filter, a VCA, an Output and a MIDI-to-CV from this.

eg. this setup:

tardishead
If you can DIY you can build something a lot bigger and better
Do it gradually so you're spending much smaller bit of money at a time
You could start with a TTSH CLONE. That would defo get you up and running
sduck
DIY isn't really that much cheaper, and takes a lot of time, and if he's inexperienced it's just going to be frustrating. And the TTSH isn't a viable option - if you can even find one, the parts are going to be way over his budget.
mskala
sduck wrote:
DIY isn't really that much cheaper, and takes a lot of time, and if he's inexperienced it's just going to be frustrating. And the TTSH isn't a viable option - if you can even find one, the parts are going to be way over his budget.

Indeed. The cost of setting up a complete DIY workshop is $1000 to $2000 before you even start building modules; people who claim to have done it for less are invariably not counting important things that a true from-zero beginner would need to pay for, as well as cutting corners on quality. So you have to be building a large Eurorack system and spend several thousands of dollars before the claimed "savings" really pay for the startup costs. "Go DIY" is not appropriate advice for a beginner with a small total budget who does not already have an electronics workshop.

Buying used is a much more sensible recommendation.
Joe.
The kit i was going to recommend if the OP could DIY is the 4MS RCD, and then roll his own RCD breakout with a blank panel. A very cheap way to get the Clock divider he was after (about US$110 total for the pair, compared to US$270 for the pair new).

As he can't solder, 2nd hand is the only way he's going to come under budget and get all the functions he listed.

tardishead
mskala wrote:

Indeed. The cost of setting up a complete DIY workshop is $1000 to $2000 before you even start building modules; people who claim to have done it for less are invariably not counting important things that a true from-zero beginner would need to pay for, as well as cutting corners on quality. So you have to be building a large Eurorack system and spend several thousands of dollars before the claimed "savings" really pay for the startup costs. "Go DIY" is not appropriate advice for a beginner with a small total budget who does not already have an electronics workshop.

Buying used is a much more sensible recommendation.

OK got it wrong on the TTSH I just had a look. Sorry my mistake. I forget that I have a lot of the parts in stock.
You don't need a complete DIY workshop worth $1000-2000 to build synth modules especially as nowadays people are doing all the hard work for you.
That is simply not true.
Some kits have everything you need, tell you what to buy, Mouser BOM etc, even get a front panel.
A lot of the professional techs I know don't even have assets worth that much in tools and they are dealing with equipment worth 1000x a synth module and they are experts in their field.Analogue test gear can be bought at a fraction of the price it was 20-30 years ago but you don't need it to build modules. To design and sell thats a different ball game.
I know. I started 25 years ago with a soldering iron, microsnippers, needle nose pliers and basic tools, not even a scope. Learning to solder takes what - a day? Managed to build things that I still enjoy today. Some just off a schematic and none of the organised kits you get today. They were more or less unheard of.
What you need is a brain and a will to learn. And also above everything have a friend who is somewhat experienced to help you troubleshoot your early endeavours
DIY is not for everyone for sure - I agree. I am just putting it out there. What we don't want is this "blind 'em with science", elitist attitude that only people with money can enjoy these things.
I'd be very interested in what you can buy for that budget on the used gear market. Not much I'm sure. How inspiring it will be only time will tell.
If he's half inclined he could get in touch with Laurie Biddulph at ELBY DESIGNS and see what he recommends. I actually lived in OZ and built a lot of modules. CGS boards were dirt cheap and DICK SMITH electronics was round the corner. I had a similar budget and built myself a big modular.

Give a Man a Fish, and You Feed Him for a Day. Teach a Man To Fish, and You Feed Him for a Lifetime
mskala
mskala wrote:
invariably not counting important things that a true from-zero beginner would need to pay for
tardishead
Yes I absolutely contest that
I certainly did not have that kinda cash for it at the start.
Later as things progressed definitely yes.
As you learn more your standards rise I agree. You start to need more and better equipment. For sure I couldn't do what I wanna do with that budget now but the most important thing is get involved, learn and grow with tools you have available. Same goes for music generally.
The reason I got into DIY in the first place was that I couldn't afford the instruments I craved so I cloned them as best as I could.

Oh yeh I did have a house to live in and a supply of electricity.
Maybe I forgot to put that in the budget
monads
This is an impossible budget to work with. A quality 168hp case will eat at least $400 of that budget. $600 balance will not be enough to complete the system let alone make anything worthwhile. Some sequencers/mixers/VCOs standalone modules can use all that remaining budget in one shot!!!!
diophantine
With that budget you'd be best going the semi-modular route. Someone above mentioned an 0-Coast and Mother 32, and that seems like the best option at this price point. They're stand-alone units with lots of patching options between them, and should give you a good feel for how you'd like to expand should you choose to do so.

EDIT: and I say "expand" because they are really Eurorack modules that have just been mounted in custom enclosures with their own power supplies. You could mount them in a Eurorack case later, or keep them stand-alone and patch them up with any other sort of modular system.
appliancide
Try to find a good case/power supply for around $300-400.

Give AndrewF $550 to make you one of these:

http://nonlinearcircuits.blogspot.com.au/2017/03/null-a2.html

Spend the rest on patch cables.
diophantine
appliancide wrote:
Try to find a good case/power supply for around $300-400.

Give AndrewF $550 to make you one of these:

http://nonlinearcircuits.blogspot.com.au/2017/03/null-a2.html

Spend the rest on patch cables.

Yes, this would be a fantastic option!
ranix
get the behringer minimoog or an arturia microbrute and then get a couple modules and the uzeus

I like the tip top Happy Ending Kit with the uzeus, I rack it with the back open and just let the air get in there. The tip top rack will work by itself, it has side rails that are triangular so it will prop itself up if you sit it down with no rack. The Happy Ending Kit is all you need for a case.

skip the diy for now go for instant gratification but synthcube has great deals on diy kits and you can get assembled ones if you get lazy http://synthcube.com/

you can get started on $1000 yes for sure
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 1 of 4