MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Expanding my Eurorack - looking for advise (Braids,Atlantis)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Expanding my Eurorack - looking for advise (Braids,Atlantis)
charlie360x
Hello,

Long time lurker, quite new to Eurorack scene. My current setup consist of Yarns, Braids, Links and ADSR. I'd like to expand it a bit. I am not sure which direction to go with. Can you advise on the below please?

What I am trying to achieve is to have a Lead Synth and a Bass withing Eurorack (the other instruments, percussions and FX are VST softsynths and guitar)

I can for example use Braids for basslines and Atlantis for lead tone (sequenced plunks, blips, bloops. My friend is currently selling Atlantis for around 450EU 2nd hand). I can later add Erica Synth Black VCO for another voice, but will I also need additional VCA? Could I use Black VCO+Ripples? I can always sell my quad ADSR and replace it with a smaller module, since Atlantis has ADSR on board.

or

I can go for Erica Synths BassLine (TBR in mid Jun) and Make Noise Maths and expand it further later on. Braids would act as a Lead Synth in this example and Bassline for bass obviously. I think I will also need VCA in this case or not necessarily?

In which scenario the modules would complement each other at their best? Where are more possibilities for modulation etc? Which option would you go for or maybe anyone can recommend a different approach? Thank you!
Joe.
I'd definitely keep the A-143-2 forever (even if you do get a MATHS).

The A-143-2's EOR and EOD outputs let you loop, or trigger longer complex chains (or integrate MATHS into complex modulation patches), and it's those types of modulations you'll want more and more the larger you get.

I like the bottom rack, but I'd still plan an VCA or two (even if it's a cheap A-132) so that you can modulate modulators.

Having a spare VCA will also allow you to do things like control the modulation index, if you decide to experiment with FM patches later on.

charlie360x
Joe. wrote:
I'd definitely keep the A-143-2 forever (even if you do get a MATHS).

The A-143-2's EOR and EOD outputs let you loop, or trigger longer complex chains (or integrate MATHS into complex modulation patches), and it's those types of modulations you'll want more and more the larger you get.

I like the bottom rack, but I'd still plan an VCA or two (even if it's a cheap A-132) so that you can modulate modulators.

Having a spare VCA will also allow you to do things like control the modulation index, if you decide to experiment with FM patches later on.

Thanks Joe. I just bought Maths so I will go that route. Can you also advise if I can get just Ripples to use as a VCA or should I buy quad VCA? (Black Quad VCA from Erica Synths would be my choice)
Agawell
ripples is a really a filter, not a vca, ok it has a vca - but only on one of the filtered outputs
better to buy a vca as a vca
but i'd really look at the low end doepfer one - it's really quite cheap and not very cheerful, but you can never have too many vcas and it'll always be there no matter how big your rack gets because there will always be a use for it
charlie360x
Agawell wrote:
ripples is a really a filter, not a vca, ok it has a vca - but only on one of the filtered outputs
better to buy a vca as a vca
but i'd really look at the low end doepfer one - it's really quite cheap and not very cheerful, but you can never have too many vcas and it'll always be there no matter how big your rack gets because there will always be a use for it

Thank you, I think I will go for MI Vails. I still need to do my research as I am not sure if I should pick linear or exponential VCA (or both like Vails has). Testing Vails in VCV Rack, I've noticed that I like exponential setup with my ADSR. It has that sort of punchy attack.
Agawell
No probs
Veils is great i use mine constantly
Lots of people will tell you to get blinds instead as it has more features..
But veils is a quad vca and blinds is a vc-polarizer which can be also used a vca but is difficult to close completely...
my take: if you want a vca (and if you haven’t got one you want one even if you don’t know it) then get veils... if you’ve got vcas and want a polarizer that’ll also double as a vca then get blinds
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1