MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Touchplates vs ungrounded battery power = nogo?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Touchplates vs ungrounded battery power = nogo?
Hththt
I am building a small case wich i want to be completely mobile so i would when out want to power it with a powerbank.
Row power 30 btw

I do need touch interaction with plate to cv tuning and if possible sequencing.

I think rene and PP will have probs w/o the grounding?

I am looking at twisted electrons cells wich fits my small hp concept and its different tech than the capacitors of MN but would this stay stable ungrounded?

Any alternatives?
Or any way to kind of ground a case externaly?
Artaos
Yes, that will be a problem. But get yourself a switching power supply that has its 0V connected to mains ground (rare), and you will likely experience fewer issues. I use the power supplies that come with the MDLR cases.
Sandrine
Probably leading a long wire (plugged into an unused jack anywhere on the rig) would act as enough of an RF counterpoise to allow interaction with the touch pads. If you are anywhere near an AM radio station or power lines it will use that.

Also, not all pads are created equal, i.e. my RIT_M uses capacitive touch technology (like a i-pad) so will work anywhere
Hththt
Artaos wrote:
Yes, that will be a problem. But get yourself a switching power supply that has its 0V connected to mains ground (rare), and you will likely experience fewer issues. I use the power supplies that come with the MDLR cases.

You sure you speak about battery/power bank use here?
Wich is my aim.

Sandrine, interesting. Yes i think cells uses actually light sensors....no idea if thats actually responsive in a way i expect
Sandrine
Hththt wrote:
Artaos wrote:

You sure you speak about battery/power bank use here?
Wich is my aim.

Sandrine, interesting. Yes i think cells uses actually light sensors....no idea if thats actually responsive in a way i expect

Oh light? Well that's great if it's not in total darkness (lol)
I've tried light (IR) in the past but human skin absorbs it so much it wasn't feasible in the tests. Maybe it's capacitive..
mskala
René's touch sensors use two contacts with your finger completing the circuit between them. They don't require grounding to work. I'm not sure about Pressure Points.
Hththt
mskala wrote:
René's touch sensors use two contacts with your finger completing the circuit between them. They don't require grounding to work. I'm not sure about Pressure Points.

Uhm schneiders aswell as manual says otherwise i am afraid.
mskala
Hththt wrote:
mskala wrote:

Uhm schneiders aswell as manual says otherwise i am afraid.

Where exactly? The SchneidersLaden Web page says the René "needs only ground and +12V" but it seems pretty clear that all they mean is it uses the positive side of the Eurorack supply (not also -12V or +5V); it's the common misuse of the word "ground" for "0V" and not a requirement for a true Earth connection. I couldn't find any reference to this issue in the René manual at all. It's clear from looking at the front panel, as well as everyone's experience of it being dependent on moist fingertips, that the sensors are resistive type - not the capacitive sensors for which true grounding is a bigger deal.
Hththt
Aaaaah i had no idea about the mixed up use of 0v vs ground
Thanks for pointing that out!

By any chance you know what tech twisted electronics cells use?
I will ask the maker too. It would just safe a lot hp

So in your opinionin, running such a sequencer and a little skiff should work just fine off a powerbank?
I am pretty sure the row power needs just one suitable bank and not one for + and one for - as innsome topics mentioned on here
mskala
Hththt wrote:

So in your opinionin, running such a sequencer and a little skiff should work just fine off a powerbank?
I am pretty sure the row power needs just one suitable bank and not one for + and one for - as innsome topics mentioned on here

From the picture it looks like the Cells uses capacitive sensors, where grounding might be more of a concern, but I haven't tested it and I'd want to test it before depending on it to work with battery power.
Hththt
mskala wrote:
Hththt wrote:

From the picture it looks like the Cells uses capacitive sensors, where grounding might be more of a concern, but I haven't tested it and I'd want to test it before depending on it to work with battery power.

I just noticed ive 2 contrary statements about capacitive sensors// grounding here from you and Sandrine.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1