MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

help with finding a MIDI controller
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author help with finding a MIDI controller
tuj
Hi all:

I have some specific needs for a MIDI controller:

-keyboard like interface, 1 octave.
-MIDI OUT via TRS or DIN jack. USB not acceptable.
-small form factor
-battery powered

Bonus would be CV+gate out, but not necessary.

Anything out there like this?
Koryo
Since this thread is not exactly burnin' down the Muff, I'll throw my 2ยข in.

Short answer, if you can handle an isomorphic keyboard: Synthstrom Audible - Deluge has got you covered, even hits your bonus stretch cv goal.

...if not, just plug a Arturia - Keystep into it.

Personally I use a Linnstrument, but hey, to each their own.
Rex Coil 7
One octave? Honestly you're not going to find anything other than controllers that qualify as toys with that much of a limitation placed on the selections.

If you open up your fencing to at least 2 octaves, there are many (many!) well built and nicely featured keyboard controllers to chose from.

Arturia, Akai, Novation, M-Audio, and so on all come to mind.
Muzone
keystep and a usb power pack?
Koryo
Rex Coil 7 wrote:

Finding a small MIDI DIN keyboard controller is not the hard part. Finding one with a battery... well now you have yourself more of a challenge.

Aturia does not make any battery powered controllers. Akai makes one, LPK25 Wireless. Neither does Novation or M-Audio.

Korg circa 2003 had an oddball that runs on 6AA batteries, Microkorg.

So if you want to lug around a USB battery then yeah, there are many (many!)
Rex Coil 7
Koryo wrote:
Rex Coil 7 wrote:

Finding a small MIDI DIN keyboard controller is not the hard part. Finding one with a battery... well now you have yourself more of a challenge.

Aturia does not make any battery powered controllers. Akai makes one, LPK25 Wireless. Neither does Novation or M-Audio.

Korg circa 2003 had an oddball that runs on 6AA batteries, Microkorg.

So if you want to lug around a USB battery then yeah, there are many (many!)
Either way, you're lugging around a battery set ... some are internally mounted, others are external. In either case, you're still carrying batteries around. I see some advantages to external ones:

** You can swap them out quickly.
** Your keyboard controller choices just opened up by hills and valleys.
** If they leak (or otherwise fail), they're not going to damage the controller.
** There are some ROBUST external battery systems these days (meaning gobs of power for long power-on runs).
** Many may be recharged from the ciggy lighter outlet in your car.
** Can power your phone if needed.

seriously, i just don't get it

I have a pair of HALO BOLT ACDC 58830 setups. They've enough balls to actually start my truck, yet smaller than an old VHS tape. I'd guess one would power a teensy keyboard for a couple of days. Built in flashlight as well. Also has a 450 watt 115vac wall outlet for powering AC things.

But it's your stuff
. As always, I'd suggest you do what you think is best. Not what I feel is best.

(unsubscribed - not mad or having a hissy fit - just trying to keep my number of subscribed threads under better control - if you wish to correspond please feel totally free to send me a PM - thanks!)

cool
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1