MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

µTune MIDI Question #2
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Tubbutec  
Author µTune MIDI Question #2
hageir
Hi there, excellent work!
Does the µTune 'microtune' MIDI notes?
If so; polyphonically?

i.e. could I insert this between a controller and a synth (MIDI) and get microtuning on that synth (in guitar/mono mode*)?

*pitchbend values on a seperate MIDI channel I guess..
chess1
I was wondering the same thing. My understanding is that most hardware (digital ?) synths are set to equal temperament. I am looking forward to exploring this myself.

At the risk of a slight hijacking. Can anyone tell me how the VCO tuning process works ? Not in the technical sense, but literally how you use this feature.
hageir
chess1 wrote:
I was wondering the same thing. My understanding is that most hardware (digital ?) synths are set to equal temperament. I am looking forward to exploring this myself.

At the risk of a slight hijacking. Can anyone tell me how the VCO tuning process works ? Not in the technical sense, but literally how you use this feature.

Cool man, no worries,
it is by far best implemented on my REV2 (global setup -> scales)
My VFX supports it, albeit I needed to tune each note on the keyboard, one by one LOL
But the ESQ-1 is more favored (the VFX is cool, the ESQ-1 is a bit simpler and not so much complex menu diving).

I had a X5DR, it's a bit boring but it had an uploadable scale (SysEx I guess), the next on the list are the Yamaha DX and SY/TG synths.

The excellent Korg PS3200 (amongst others) VST recreations by fullbucket have tuning knobs for each note:
https://www.fullbucket.de/music/fb3200.html

But those all implement microtuning in one way or another, what I'd like is a MIDI 'filter/effect' that would basically pitchbend the MIDI notes, but channel separated (some synths have guitar/mono mode with independent pitchbend, wheel and CCs, etc.)

It was super easy to set up on my Matrix 6R, but that's long gone :(

One cool implementation of a MIDI filter/effect is that simple-design 'loop'-cable from Retrokits, it just connects to MIDI OUT and loops back into MIDI IN
with a processor in the cable:
https://www.retrokits.com/shop/rk002/

That would be cool if it supported microtuning.
tubbutec
hageir wrote:
If so; polyphonically?

i.e. could I insert this between a controller and a synth (MIDI) and get microtuning on that synth (in guitar/mono mode*)?

Currently no, but the next firmware will support both, pitch bend and Real Time Sysex Tuning modes
tubbutec
chess1 wrote:
Can anyone tell me how the VCO tuning process works ? Not in the technical sense, but literally how you use this feature.

I can only point to the user manual. Maybe you can tell us which part is unclear:

Quote:

To perform a calibration make sure your VCO is plugged into CV-out. (Let's say on channel 2). Select channel 2 and enter 'Manual VCO calibration'.

Now plug the output from your VCO into GATE-in on channel 2. In the upper left corner you will see the detected VCO frequency. Navigate to the 0V entry and press enter. µTune will now output 0V and save its frequency. When the frequency reading is stable, press enter again and navigate to the 1V entry. Press enter and µTune will now output 1V. The pitch of the VCO should now be an octave higher. µTune shows you the difference between the detected and the expected pitch. If the detected pitch is negative you have to increase the voltage, if it is positive you have to decrease it. Try adjusting the voltage until the frequency difference reads 0Hz. depending on how stable your VCO is this might not quite be possible due to pitch drift, but try to zero in as good as possible.

When finished repeat this for all voltages.

You can now save the calibration. It is completely independent from the channel, so if you later connect the same VCO to channel 1, you can just load the file into it.
hageir
tubbutec wrote:
hageir wrote:
If so; polyphonically?

Currently no, but the next firmware will support both, pitch bend and Real Time Sysex Tuning modes

HOLY SMOKES hyper
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Tubbutec  
Page 1 of 1