MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

octatrack lost cf card - sample recovery?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author octatrack lost cf card - sample recovery?
prae
what's up, massive shot in the dark here but

had a gig last night... lost my cf card. it's not coming back. was just wondering if there's a way to recover samples? they were all statics so i'm not hopeful tbh... but maybe someone out there knows a way... even if i could recover the 8 that are assigned to the current tracks that would be awesome.

i can see all the samples in the slot list, and even load them, but they are all showing 0mb in size and don't play

peace
+
RustyO
prae wrote:
had a gig last night... lost my cf card. it's not coming back.


What do you mean by that?

prae wrote:
i can see all the samples in the slot list, and even load them, but they are all showing 0mb in size and don't play


Sample Slots will show, because they are assigned to the Project.

So... where is the card? Sounds like it has become corrupted?
Ashi
I think he literally lost the card, as in it's in an unknown location - or it's obviously destroyed somehow?

I think you're out of luck though with recovery :(
RustyO
Ashi wrote:
I think he literally lost the card, as in it's in an unknown location - or it's obviously destroyed somehow?

I think you're out of luck though with recovery :(


That confuses me if they have lost the card... as how did they load the Project?

If that is the case, then...
mor4sso
yeah, they're showing 0 mb because all your samples were stored on the CF card :(

im surprised that you are able to access the project without the CF card tbh, i guess the octatrack saves its last used state in the ram memory, as well as references to the samples as well, but the actual sample was on your CF card, therefore it has no file to pull from :(

but, if you have the samples saved somewhere else? like your computer or something? if you still have the sample name in the octatrack, you could probably find the sample on your computer, get a new cf card, drop your samples in, and the octatrack might automatically reload those samples assuming they have the same name?

hopefully that makes sense.
Panason
If it's anything like the Rytm, which it probably is, you don't even have to match the filename as the machine IDs the samples regardless of names. If it's the exact same sample it will find it and put it where it was.

If the contents of the CF card were not backed up then it's a harsh lesson...
RustyO
Panason wrote:
If it's anything like the Rytm, which it probably is, you don't even have to match the filename as the machine IDs the samples regardless of names. If it's the exact same sample it will find it and put it where it was.


It's not. Reuqires the correct file name and path.

Panason wrote:
If the contents of the CF card were not backed up then it's a harsh lesson...


If only there was a nifty little backup application that makes such things a jiffy... hmmm.....
Panason
RustyO wrote:
Panason wrote:
If it's anything like the Rytm, which it probably is, you don't even have to match the filename as the machine IDs the samples regardless of names. If it's the exact same sample it will find it and put it where it was.


It's not. Requires the correct file name and path.

Panason wrote:
If the contents of the CF card were not backed up then it's a harsh lesson...


If only there was a nifty little backup application that makes such things a jiffy... hmmm.....


Well I am not surprised. Elektron strikes again. I thought that since the OT is a sampler it would have that feature (the Rytm mk1 is not a sampler and has it) and that you could just use a card reader to access the card from a computer.... You mean you cannot put samples in the OT by writing to the card from a computer?? seriously, i just don't get it
RustyO
Panason wrote:
You mean you cannot put samples in the OT by writing to the card from a computer?? seriously, i just don't get it


Of course you can put samples on the Octatrack by writing to the card from a computer.

I should know, I developed OctaEdit, an editor and librarian for the Octatrack.

I don't know how you reached that conclusion based on what I wrote. hmmm.....
Panason
I was confused by your comment about there not being a backup app.... So all you have to do to back up the card is mount it on a computer and copy the contents?
prae
yeah i got home and the card had popped out. fucking annoying. but what can you do.

and i don't have the files all organised on my computer at all, i've literally just been adding them as and when. so i guess i can go through all 200 odd static names on the OT, find them on my computer, and add them to a folder. my own fault innit!

what's the score with this backup app? it exists?
Panason
You're OK then, the samples are in your computer somewhere and 200 samples is not that much if you really want to recover your work. Time to organise your sample collection into folders before it gets really unwieldy!

Probably stick some duct tape over that cf card next time! Duct tape fixes everything. thumbs up
RustyO
prae wrote:
yeah i got home and the card had popped out. fucking annoying. but what can you do.


Could have been a lot worse.

prae wrote:
and i don't have the files all organised on my computer at all, i've literally just been adding them as and when. so i guess i can go through all 200 odd static names on the OT, find them on my computer, and add them to a folder. my own fault innit!


If you can relocate the source samples; then should be *easy* enough to recover the Project back to it's last saved state.

Let me know if you need some assistance with doing that.

prae wrote:
what's the score with this backup app? it exists?


OctaZip : Intelligent Octatrack Archiver
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group