MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

fav drum modules that aren't trying to emulate an 808 or 909
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author fav drum modules that aren't trying to emulate an 808 or 909
bradpickapiper
curious!
TemplarK
bradpickapiper wrote:
curious!
and wondering how many such modules there are of this description?

Loads. Too many for me to try and count just off the top of my head. Dozens of them.

My favourite is Cwejman BLD its phenomenal. I also want to pick up the SSF Entity Bass and Percussion modules. Vermona dosome great sounding stuff.

Theres a few that emulate the 606. The mutant stuff not all of it is just a 808/909 clones they push so far past the original tones that they are not really just emulating.

ALK does some drum modules that are based on digital FM synths.

Also in modular some of the best drum sounds come from non-drum modules like Lowpass gates used with noise for some amazing hats or Lowpass gate used with FM tones for bongo sounds. Using oscillators and filters with envleopes is also a usual method for getting kicks and toms and plenty of other percussive sounds.
Aaronautical001
check out noise engineering
bemushroomed
How many? Tons, hundreds (though maybe not specifically made for drums only).

My favorite drum module is usually always the most current.
So right now an 808 module (DspSynth R808) that actually doesn't sound much like an 808 at all. Its 12 bit (or lower perhaps even) and its possible to pitch the sound up or down in the extreme to get either very dark and crunchy sounds or high pitched silly / Casio drummachine-like sounds. Very fun to play with. Getting the 606 from dspsynth next week, i hope.

Akemie's Taiko is great, it's not only for drums but works especially well for silly FM-drums, love it and haven't grown tired of it (which is kind of common for drum modules, for me).
SCOOBA_TANK
For my needs, the best percussive modules are those that add some extra and different flavor while allowing enough flexibility to tweak into whatever I need. Right now, the Taikos and Plonk are ruling my rack. I’ll also use Peaks when I need some simple kick and snare/clap. The other thing I’ll do a lot is use my STS to bring in some samples drum loops, especially when I’m looking for something particular. Most of the time I’ll build those loops in Maschine and bring them in via STS.

But like everyone already, there’s way too many to list. Just gotta figure out what fits for you.
Corbeau
DinSync Drumdokta, DRM-110 in a module - I have the first version with the clap/white noise expander, wish I had the second version. It's pretty fun, and sounds great.

And the Bugbrand DRM1 - just an awesome, incredibly flexible single drum voice, loads of ways to shape the sound. I often use it is a regular oscillator too with interesting results. I want the expanded version so bad.
tenshun
Make Noise Mysteron, ALM Busy Circuits Haswell Taiko, Zlob Entropy (the noise outputs)

These can get some awesome sounds going when fed some creative modulation and triggers.
bradpickapiper
Aaronautical001 wrote:

checked out some of their stuff. seems pretty amazing overall.
favourites?
bradpickapiper
bemushroomed wrote:
How many? Tons, hundreds (though maybe not specifically made for drums only).

Akemie's Taiko is great, it's not only for drums but works especially well for silly FM-drums, love it and haven't grown tired of it (which is kind of common for drum modules, for me).

been definitely considering this one! seems really cool
bradpickapiper
Corbeau wrote:
DinSync Drumdokta, DRM-110 in a module - I have the first version with the clap/white noise expander, wish I had the second version. It's pretty fun, and sounds great.

And the Bugbrand DRM1 - just an awesome, incredibly flexible single drum voice, loads of ways to shape the sound. I often use it is a regular oscillator too with interesting results. I want the expanded version so bad.

thanks. hadn't heard of these before!
Armstrb
Noise Engineering BIA and Manis
chrisso
BIA is not trying to be 808/909 specifically.
Jomox Modbase 09 covers a lot more territory than x0x.
EMW DigiDrum is nice, for premade samples.
Moffenzeef GMO is awesome (again samples).
Tumulishroomaroom
WMD Chimera is amazing for anything hats related. I haven't tried Fracture yet but it must be pretty good too.

I don't have them either but the SSF Entity Bass & Perc sound amazing to be. The Perc seems very versatile as well.
bemushroomed
Plonk is amazing for realistic percussion (and other sounds as well).
spinalbeatz
+1 for Noise Engineering Basimilus Iteritas Alter
Aaronautical001
bradpickapiper wrote:
Aaronautical001 wrote:

checked out some of their stuff. seems pretty amazing overall.
favourites?

I have BIA and LIP, both are amazing.
acidbob
BME Rattlesnake 100%. I love the sound so much but eeh yeah, it's near impossible to get this machine, wish someone would redo them.
For now I just have samples

https://www.matrixsynth.com/2014/08/1983-bme-rattlesnake-demos.html
vibralux
Kick Me in bass drum department. Also Orgone Accumulator
on percussion mode.
tuj
Irdukanji Glitch Drum
Future Retro Transient
Plonk
BIA
Jomox MBrane
Elements
Chimera
Dinky's Taiko
rhythmdial
BuranElectrix DreDrum - run it full decay and pair with an ADSR into the VCA in Ripples and oh boy its even more wild.
subdo
SSF Entity bassdrum. I love the envelope outs and the bass on it is just glorious.
Antlerface
I absolutely LOVE my Buck Modular Drumfuck. Get a cool trigger sequence set up between Tempi and Euclidean Circles, run it through an effect (been killing it with a Wow & Flutter or Clouds) and you’ve got a super unique sounding drum sequence going. The kick sound is not my favorite, but that’s what DFAM is for.

I’ve used a decent amount of drum modules and the Drumfuck and DFAM are keepers!
Jaypee
Another vote for Cwejman BLD. I use mine for Bass drum. Never tried to do other sounds with it yet! I'd need 2 modules smile
raylinds
bemushroomed wrote:
Plonk is amazing for realistic percussion (and other sounds as well).

My personal fav as well.
jzwoopwoop
subdo wrote:
SSF Entity bassdrum. I love the envelope outs and the bass on it is just glorious.

Seconded. It’s perhaps not super versatile in terms of kick sounds, but within the realm of resonant-filters-pinged-for-percussive-effect it can do a wide range of sounds. And I just so love pinged resonant filters. And the amount of ins and outs is so handy. Love this module.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2