MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Bigwig HW Clock Output and Pam's New Workout issue
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software  
Author Bigwig HW Clock Output and Pam's New Workout issue
Ruiner
I recently purchased Bitwig as my DAW with the intended goal of syncing my modular synth and my DAW. First and foremost for syncing clocks and recording in time with VST instruments and other audio tracks from various instruments. Also with the intention of sending cv control back and forth.

I have Bitwig's HW CLOCK OUTPUT set to ADAT output 1 which is Output 1 on my Expert Sleepers ES-8. I selected the gate button on the HW CLOCK OUTPUT as recommended and have tried every possible combination of 1/24 (24ppqn) and all the others as well as .5ms, 1ms, 5ms, 50%. (I also went straight from my audio interface which is a UAD Apollo 8p and has DC coupled outputs and got the same results that i'm about to describe). On the ES8's the led's blink with whatever multiplier settings i have on the HW CLOCK OUTPUT. When i plug the output into a different module, such as the FLXS1 sequencer everything is syncing in time to that multiple or divisor. All is good but all my clocking in my modular setup is typically done in Pam's New Workout. When i plug it into the clock input on Pam's it says the clock is unstable. Trying first on 24ppqn with the HW CLOCK OUTPUT set on 1/24. I have the run turned on Yes on Pam's but have also tried it with No and have tried sending a reset setting from the HW CLOCK OUTPUT from a different output with no luck. The only time i got something kind of working was when i had the divisor on HW CLOCK OUTPUT set on 1/96 (Pam's ppqn at 24) and the Pam's DIN, MIDI expander x1 output was in sync all multipliers and divisors were off and the main pam's unit was showing a faster BPM. Stop the playback on Bitwig and everything speeds way up.

Is there anything I can do to get this setup to work? I'm open to other solutions as well. I also have a MOTU midi rack interface which i've never used.
andybizarre
Did you rule out all sorts of digital sync issues of your audio interfaces? How did you configure them (say, as aggregate device or ES-8 in stand-alone mode via ADAT with the Apollo)? Which sample rates?

Another hint could be the level setting of the respective audio channel in Bitwig where the HW clock is located. Some modules require the hottest analogue level possible to sync properly (strong clipping in the DAW domain, but OK in analogue). You could even try to boost the clock signal within your modular. I once tried Bitwig`s HW Clock with a spare DAC - I had to boost quite a bit and still, most modules were behaving differently and some wouldn`t sync at all.

Consider this as rather generic attempts, I don`t own a PNW.. seriously, i just don't get it
Ruiner
andybizarre wrote:
Did you rule out all sorts of digital sync issues of your audio interfaces? How did you configure them (say, as aggregate device or ES-8 in stand-alone mode via ADAT with the Apollo)? Which sample rates?

Another hint could be the level setting of the respective audio channel in Bitwig where the HW clock is located. Some modules require the hottest analogue level possible to sync properly (strong clipping in the DAW domain, but OK in analogue). You could even try to boost the clock signal within your modular. I once tried Bitwig`s HW Clock with a spare DAC - I had to boost quite a bit and still, most modules were behaving differently and some wouldn`t sync at all.

Consider this as rather generic attempts, I don`t own a PNW.. seriously, i just don't get it

Yeah, I actually got it working by amplifying the signal using an intellijel audio i/o module! Wish i could do that in the daw though.... any way to make that happen so i don't use up a module and have extra patching going on?
andybizarre
That seems odd. The ES-8 is supposed to drive a full 10 volts when you send un-attenuated gates to its outputs. Can`t get much higher than that. Perhaps you ask OS in the Expert Sleepers subforum, he will help you sort things out.

For boosting, I`m afraid there`s no way around the use of additional modules. I`m using an A-183-3 or a channel of the Intellijel QuadVCA. There are a lot of situations where I need to match levels (for example, make the QCD recognize the clock of the BSP, or amplify a gate beyond 5V so my MFB Dominion will trigger), so a simple amplifier/attenuverter has become indispensable for me.
Catflap
I was struggling with syncing Pams exterally and was looking at both ES3/4 and Bastl Klik for syncing from Live.

Went with a DIY Klik and it´s a cheap solution with rock solid synchronisation. I have a feeling that Klik was deigned primarily with Bitwig in mind.

PPQN on PAMS is set to 4 tho... but it´s solid so im not fussed.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software  
Page 1 of 1