MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Analogue solutions Nyborg-12 vs. Semblance and MS20
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Analogue solutions Nyborg-12 vs. Semblance and MS20
acidbob
Hi all you fine people,

I currently have a ASOL Semblance which I absolutely love, I have been thinking about how much of a difference there is between the Semblance and the Nyborg12, I know that the filter has some other features and it now features a sub-osc, do any of you know how much the filter has changed and could I justify getting the Nyborg and selling the Semblance?

OR....

There is a cheap MS20 mini close to where I live for sale, so I thinking if you might think they could compliment each other and does it make sense to have a MS20 with a bigger modular system? Maybe it would be better to keep the Semblance and get an MS20 instead. The MS20 is 400 euro / 478 usd

Mostly I am producing electro tracks at the moment, i.e. Not house but oldskool electro. And always heard good stuff about MS20.

I use the Semblance a lot in BP with detuned out of sync VCO's, and thinking that the MS20 can do some solid sounds in that respect too?
Panason
I've had both of those synths. The MS20 is a semi modular classic with plenty of useful stuff in it... I was using the trigger outs to trigger a drum module at some point, using the LFO as a clock.... but it is a completely different sound. While the SEMblance sounds very sweet and rounded, the MS20 has a gnarly, rough and even angry industrial sound... So you'll probably want to have both in your arsenal as one will do stuff the other can't.

The Nyborg has the added resonance boost so it should have more dirt and scream but I haven't tried it. I sold both the SEMBlance and the MS20 as I wasn't too interested in either sound.. yeah I'm hard to please... but the LFO and envelopes and square(ish) wave on the SEMblance are pretty questionable IMO. And those blinding blue LEDs....

I think the Nyborg has less MIDI control in favour of more CV control.
acidbob
Cool, thank you. Well im actually liking the semblance very very much.
It has a kind of special sound I have been unable to get from any other synth.

I was thinking that the sub-osc is neat as I tend to pair the BP filter with my SH101 to get some bottom end going.

But, now I just found out about the dreadbox erebus v3 and I think it would be a better choice for me
prismpeterr
the analogue version is very good and can I connect the analogue Tenda router support to the analogue musical instrument
neuroportal
I am biased. But to my ears, the MS-20 is one of the finest analogue synths ever made. I love mine.

Panason is right on - rough and gnarly is the core. But it is also capable of a lot more. Just that the rough and gnarly is more addictive. smile

However, remember that if you wanted to integrate it with other kit - the CV isn't 1v/oct. So won't be in same pitch if you are driving more than this with other kit if you haven't got a hz/v converter. Although you be clever with the input options.
acidbob
neuroportal wrote:
I am biased. But to my ears, the MS-20 is one of the finest analogue synths ever made. I love mine.

Panason is right on - rough and gnarly is the core. But it is also capable of a lot more. Just that the rough and gnarly is more addictive. smile

However, remember that if you wanted to integrate it with other kit - the CV isn't 1v/oct. So won't be in same pitch if you are driving more than this with other kit if you haven't got a hz/v converter. Although you be clever with the input options.

A friend of mine told me I could borrow his MS20 mini, maybe that would be a good idea, just to get a feeling on what it's capable of smile
Thing is I havent really been able to find any demo's that I really liked, but somewhere in my mind I have a feeling it's got potential but not being shown in the demo's.
neuroportal
Well most (all?) of my stuff in soundcloud has the MS-20 in it. Spacecheese - the lead melody (Weirdarsed reasonance). The Noise - the beat (Gnarly). In The Weed Garden - Melody (subtle), Rounding Cape Bad Decision - Lead Jazzy thing (But also ran through a distortion pedal).

To give you some ideas.

IIRC Air used it heavily on the album Moon Safari, also.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1