MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
Happy holidays! Please see the year-end funding drive post in the Announcements subforum. Thanks and all my love to you beautiful people.

I can make sound, what should I do now ?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author I can make sound, what should I do now ?
enlovoz
Hi there,

Long time reader but first post ! I’ve recently started a modular voice which fit in a 84hp basic case. I know it’s not so big but I fear the empty space.
At the moment I’ve got the basics :

OSC : Loquelic Iteritas
VCA : Moddemix
Mod : Intellijel Quadra
To sequence all that I’ve got an Analog 4 and a SQ1. I already have a lot of fun using this + my MS20 that I patch in the modular too.

I already have some plan for the future and I which my system looks like this :

My actual concern is what to do now ? I want to grab one module at a time and I don’t really know which one should I grab next.
I thought about the Mixmode to attenuate the modulation of the Loquelic but maybe it’s a bit overkill. So maybe I should go for the Stages or the Pam’s Workout but maybe I don’t have enough things to modulate. So a filter but maybe I’d lack of modulations or utility.

I don’t really know, what do you think about all this ? Which module will you add to the 3 I already play with ?

(I didn’t want to write this kind of post for my first one but let’s face it, Eurorack is a deep deep ocean and I’m a unexperienced swimmer for now… )
brandonlogic
No on can answer this without knowing what you goals are. Why did you start a modular? What sounds are you trying to achieve with it? What kind of music do you make? Etc..
stike
You must choose to bleep or to bloop It is the eternal question.
stickmann
Personally I would go Mixmode -> Filter -> Stages and then the rest.

Mixmode can help tame the Quadra and offer the glue to pull your future modules together. A filter would give you the ability to get new sounds and also explore a resonant sine wave voice. Crank the resonance to max and sweep the filter to hear pitch changes. Careful with it, the resonance can be loud. This new voice allows exploration of ring modulation via ModDemix as well. After that you can decide if you want more modulation or another voice or anything else!
if you dont have it yet, pams is a killer module that has a place in just about any rig. that would be my first choice for 'next module' if it were me, as it will work for you no matter what direction you take this in. beyond that, all i can really offer is that the belgrad filter is awesome. thumbs up
MarcelP
Hi,

I'm a little confused - what is your rack right now? Is it the upper image - as your words imply you don't have PAMs yet...and Clouds seems to drop in the second rack.

PAMs is great for a small rack as it has so many functions available and a really nice user interface. I recently got Stages and on the brief use I have had with it find it to be a really engaging multimode module that should reward some imaginative patching beyond envelopes and LFOs - though maybe not immediately obvious (which is a good thing in my book!). If you don't yet have either I would find it hard to recommend one over the other - given I don't know your way of working. Though if you are planning on a larger system (in the long term) then maybe start with PAMs...

If you have the Loquellic already you will want lots of modulation for it and it can produce a very rich sound which responds very well to being shaped with filters. I don't have the Belgrad but Loquellic through the likes of Twin Peaks, Three Sisters and Aperture is really neat.
enlovoz
Sorry, I don't know why but the previous screenshot from modulargrid wasn't up to date. It's fixed now.
About my music or goals or what I've planned to use the modular for, I do some kind of EBM/electro/techno stuff, so there is always a drum with a bassline, some melodies or some textures. Usualy dark and aggressive sound. The modular fit well in this process, it helps me reaching some strange sound pretty quickly.
grep
61050 wrote:
if you dont have it yet, pams is a killer module that has a place in just about any rig. that would be my first choice for 'next module' if it were me, as it will work for you no matter what direction you take this in. beyond that, all i can really offer is that the belgrad filter is awesome. thumbs up

And in a pinch you can even use Pam's as an oscillator!
https://www.instagram.com/p/BiXjaDagjOV/?taken-by=andrewewart9
facklr
brandonlogic wrote:
No on can answer this without knowing what you goals are. Why did you start a modular? What sounds are you trying to achieve with it? What kind of music do you make? Etc..

I could answer none of these questions when I started, and now I am I33t lvl 30 with an emphasis in telepathic modulation. Om I think this question is only asked to discourage noobs. I'm glad no one asked me what my goals where, or what I hoped to achieve, or what my 5 year plan was when I started. It's like people can't wait to ask this stock counter-question to whoever wanders on to MW for the first time--or finally decides to ask and have their newbishnesh exposed. It's literally the first or second post on threads like this every time. Don't believe me? Go look.

Anyway, you should get Pam's next. Lots of different types of modulation, clocking, and simple envelope possibilities. It will only compliment your system at every point of expansion. The Agonizer!

After Pam's (or before--both would be good first additions) MMF is nice and basic and sounds really good, and is very versatile for its size. Get this and hold off on that HUGE Belgrad for awhile.

The Intellijel Quad VCA is twice what the VCAII is, and for just 34 dollars more. You will need it eventually as well as soon. Intellijel

I don't know anything about the Loquelic Iteritas, but never underestimate the power and versatility of two Dixie IIs (or II+)--but I bet that thing sounds rad.

I've never used them together, but you might look into the English Tear so you can better incorporate your MS20 with your Euro.

I have no opinion on the Stages or the MixMode. Do you really need samples yet? Before effects modules? Do you have pedals? You can also route your modular back through the A4 and use the filter, reverb, delay, etc.

Analog 4 and a SQ1 are both great sequencers.

All and all, your plan is not a bad one. But, you are going to need a bigger case or a second case. Unless you have the discipline to stop at 84HP. It can be done. Ninja
brandonlogic
facklr wrote:
I think this question is only asked to discourage noobs. I'm glad no one asked me what my goals where, or what I hoped to achieve, or what my 5 year plan was when I started. It's like people can't wait to ask this stock counter-question to whoever wanders on to MW for the first time--or finally decides to ask and have their newbishnesh exposed. It's literally the first or second post on threads like this every time. Don't believe me? Go look.

Its not wrong to ask people what their goals are or what genre or style they are into... of course its one of the first questions people ask in threads like this if its not stated in the OP. if they dont have any goals, thats fine... but they do, it's kind of essential in recommending products. it has nothing to do with "discouraging noobs." I dont think you would recommend someone who wants an ambient rack all the same modules as someone who wants a drum rack. there nothing wrong with getting some basic modules/system together with no immediate focus. but if no focus is the focus, that should be known as well.
Epignosis567
How about you stop driving down the resale value of my modules? That’d be a good place to start.
Tonefloat01
Malekko Varigate 8 & Voltage Block will take that Loquelic into the stratosphere! Rockin' Banana!
Chartreuse-J
Put as many outputs into inputs as possible.

Post results.

Profit?

P.S. run everything through a reverb.
cptnal
I think you've designed yourself a neat system, and I think that just to have fun with it is as valid a goal as any.

One thing that strikes me is that all your modulation is unipolar. Needn't be an issue, it's just.... interesting.

And it sounds like you've got the bug, so make sure you have a big enough case to expand into. thumbs up
MarcelP
I would go: PAMs, uVCA, filter. Then have a good time wiggling with those and your next stage should become clearer... If you gel with the Loquellic you might consider the BIA - but keep an open mind at this stage...hands on experience is your best guide!
enlovoz
Thanks for the replies ! I’m more confident now that some of you have validate my approach. I will definitely buy a Pam as my next purchase and probably a Mixmode or a Triatt (because of the DC offset). I feel that the modulations to the Loquelic need to be tame a little bit otherwise it’s just too harsh.

Quote:
MMF is nice and basic and sounds really good, and is very versatile for its size. Get this and hold off on that HUGE Belgrad for awhile.

This is interesting. You make a point, I’m a bit overwhelming by big modules like the Belgrade. I’m sure it’s a rad filter but for the beginning I’d probably more appreciate something simpler like the MMF.
Do you have other recommandations for a first simple filter which pack some nice functions like tracking and self-resonance to use it as an oscillator ?

Quote:
Do you really need samples yet? Before effects modules? Do you have pedals?

Yep, I already got some effect (A4) and pedals. With a bigger case I’d look for a spring verb.

Quote:
How about you stop driving down the resale value of my modules? That’d be a good place to start.

Sorry, I don’t get that one.

Quote:
And it sounds like you've got the bug, so make sure you have a big enough case to expand into.

I don’t mind to expand my system in a (near) future, I just don’t want to have one row full of empty space right now.
enlovoz
Quote:
One thing that strikes me is that all your modulation is unipolar. Needn't be an issue, it's just.... interesting

Yeah that’s right, it sometimes bother me when I modulate an input with the Quadra. Maybe I should consider something like an LFO. Is there a way to transform a positive modulation (like the looping envelope of the quadra) to a negative one ?
cptnal
enlovoz wrote:
Quote:
One thing that strikes me is that all your modulation is unipolar. Needn't be an issue, it's just.... interesting

Yeah that’s right, it sometimes bother me when I modulate an input with the Quadra. Maybe I should consider something like an LFO. Is there a way to transform a positive modulation (like the looping envelope of the quadra) to a negative one ?

Just like you can add an offset to a bipolar signal to make it all positive, you can add a negative offset to make it partially (or wholly if you like) negative. But assuming your pots are summed with their attendant CV jacks, you just have to remember that your modulation will rise from that point, but not fall below it. There may be other considerations, but I can't think what they might be at the moment. hmmm.....
Illwiggle
Go PAM for motion next & the MMF for sound sculpting, its such a great little filter, then get your attentuators
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1