MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Help me find these alpha pots on Mouser?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Help me find these alpha pots on Mouser?
abelovesfun
Hello,

I'm trying to make mouser BOMs for my aisynthesis products while I wait for my new shipment of pots to arrive.

I can't seem to find these guys:


Pretty standard 9mm snap in pots. An A100k for instance - once I find one, I can locate the other values, but I can't seem to find them at all.

Can you help?
onurkalaycioglu
i could be wrong, but not sure mouser even stocks these type of alpha pots. they sell some clones, which arent as good quality wise.
NANO-Jorge
Look what i've found: Mouser - RK09

They are not the same, but maybe one of the RK09 series will fit your purpouse!


abelovesfun wrote:
Hello,

I'm trying to make mouser BOMs for my aisynthesis products while I wait for my new shipment of pots to arrive.

I can't seem to find these guys:


Pretty standard 9mm snap in pots. An A100k for instance - once I find one, I can locate the other values, but I can't seem to find them at all.

Can you help?
Chrutil
There are these on Tayda, are those the ones you are after?

https://www.taydaelectronics.com/potentiometer-variable-resistors/rota ry-potentiometer/linear/1k-ohm-linear-taper-potentiometer-round-shaft- pcb-9mm.html
sduck
Small Bear electronics has them.

http://www.smallbear-electronics.mybigcommerce.com/alpha-single-gang-9 mm-right-angle-pc-mount/
abelovesfun
Yes, I know Tayda and Small bear have them. In my build guides I link to Tayda as the source as they have everything except the jacks. I'm trying to make Mouser BOMS to make ordering PCB/Panels from me easier to those who normally only order kits.

I've used those ALPS before in my personal yocto and nava builds, but I'm not in love with them.... hrmmm.
negativspace
Stick with Tayda/Small Bear/Thonk/Erthenvar for these pots. Mouser's selection of pots in general is crap, and massively overpriced. (Unless they've made serious changes since I gave up even looking some years ago.)
js213
They haven't. I've tried ordering pots from them and they mostly just have the panel mounted ones with the plastic shafts. Tayda is my preferred source or Thonk.
abelovesfun
There's no alternative to a Mouser BOM though right?
I polled my customers, and even though my BOMs link to the Tayda parts, 90% said they would prefer a 1-click mouser BOM. But I haven't been able to find a suitable potentiometer replacement.
NANO-Jorge
I'm interested in your opinion of those ALPS because I'm not sure to try them. I usually purchase the alpha from Thonk. Do you think that they're comparable?


abelovesfun wrote:
Yes, I know Tayda and Small bear have them. In my build guides I link to Tayda as the source as they have everything except the jacks. I'm trying to make Mouser BOMS to make ordering PCB/Panels from me easier to those who normally only order kits.

I've used those ALPS before in my personal yocto and nava builds, but I'm not in love with them.... hrmmm.
abelovesfun
No, they are not at all the same - they have longer shafts (insert jokes) and are cheaper plastic. I think they are also pretty much all D-shaft as well which I don't like.
search64
Voila: https://nl.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Alpha-Taiwan/RD901F-40-15R1-B100K- 00DL1?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtC25l1F4XBU6jsR%252bjhP3ZqyrlR6INXRFWhZz70BVZYEA%3d %3d

Ridiculously overpriced though.
abelovesfun
and stock is 0, so I can't test them :(
FetidEye
1 click Mouser BOM's are a luxury.

As a DIY'er you should know your way around useful parts stores.


As an alternative, you can offer kits.
abelovesfun
FetidEye wrote:
1 click Mouser BOM's are a luxury.

As a DIY'er you should know your way around useful parts stores.


As an alternative, you can offer kits.


I do offer kits, I was just hoping to find a way to get my customers more familiar with ordering parts. I agree that ordering parts is easy, and assumed when I started AI that most people would order PCBs and Panels, and I was very mistaken - by far most of my orders are kits.

I wager I could spend more time designing new modules if I can get my customers more comfortable ordering parts, and it seemed like Mouser BOMS would be a good segue into this, but since they don't carry everything, maybe not... It actually looks like the mouser BOM is getting pretty close in price to a kit confused for a $20-40 difference, I would just buy the darn kit....
synthetek
abelovesfun wrote:
There's no alternative to a Mouser BOM though right?
I polled my customers, and even though my BOMs link to the Tayda parts, 90% said they would prefer a 1-click mouser BOM. But I haven't been able to find a suitable potentiometer replacement.




If you already offer a full kit, they should just order the full kit if they cant read a BOM and source the parts without a pre built cart. These are probably the same people that ask what a good substitute for a 10K resistor or 1n4148 that's out of stock in the mouser cart.
sempervirent
Mouser doesn't stock the preferred Alpha pots that most people use.

Also the ALPS RK09 pots mentioned above have an M9 threaded bushing, the Alphas have an M7 bushing, so the ALPS won't fit into your panels unless the holes are drilled to be larger.
keninverse
I use BI tech P0915N for almost everything now since they use conductive plastic elements. You may want to order one before you start shipping modules with these pots because they do require less torque to get them moving and some people don't like them for this reason. I find them easier to make fine adjustments when comparing them to alps or alphataiwan.
StillNotWorking
keninverse wrote:
I use BI tech P0915N for almost everything now since they use conductive plastic elements. You may want to order one before you start shipping modules with these pots because they do require less torque to get them moving and some people don't like them for this reason. I find them easier to make fine adjustments when comparing them to alps or alphataiwan.

And they are 100,000 cycle life vs 15,000 without much price difference.
euromorcego
I ordered these a while ago (not available currently but soon): 858-P0915NQC15BR100K

I specifically needed the knurled shaft.

TT Electronics, 9mm, 100K linear. Seem ok to me (but did not use them yet).

People who want complete mouser carts for diy projects are lame anyway wink Sometimes a cart help to see which part exactly is required. But mouser changes stock from time to time, so you'll have to update anyway. And 9mm should be really up to the user to sort out, they are available from many sources (Tayda, Smallbear, Thonk, etc ...).
TheMentat
abelovesfun wrote:

It actually looks like the mouser BOM is getting pretty close in price to a kit confused for a $20-40 difference, I would just buy the darn kit....


That's why I fairly quickly started buying in bulk and shopping around...

Speaking as a relatively new DIYer, I'd just offer kits for noob DIYers and provide part number references on your BOMs for those who have "graduated" to sourcing their own parts.
keninverse
euromorcego wrote:
I ordered these a while ago (not available currently but soon): 858-P0915NQC15BR100K

I specifically needed the knurled shaft.

TT Electronics, 9mm, 100K linear. Seem ok to me (but did not use them yet).

People who want complete mouser carts for diy projects are lame anyway wink Sometimes a cart help to see which part exactly is required. But mouser changes stock from time to time, so you'll have to update anyway. And 9mm should be really up to the user to sort out, they are available from many sources (Tayda, Smallbear, Thonk, etc ...).


Check TTI Mouser's parent company if you're buying bulk. They sometimes have things that mouser doesn't carry but is in the pipeline. I've bought BI P0915Ns for $0.38/ea in the past but of course they're getting a little more expensive. TaiwanAlpha is overpriced for the quality.
electric mist
D-Shaft :
https://www.mouser.be/ProductDetail/Welwyn-Components-TT-Electronics/P 0915N-FC15BR10K?qs=56eeD6vBg8ghscMuvH1XVA==
T18 :
https://www.mouser.be/ProductDetail/Welwyn-Components-TT-Electronics/P 0915N-EC15BR10K?qs=K%2fj%2fqf%252b0fqLusmS0A0ck1w%3d%3d
As it is has been said the feel is softer than the common Song-huei/Alpha and some people won’t like them. But they are conductive plastic so more reliable in time.
Some renowned manufacturers use them (WMD and others).
electric mist
electric mist wrote:
D-Shaft :
https://www.mouser.be/ProductDetail/Welwyn-Components-TT-Electronics/P 0915N-FC15BR10K?qs=56eeD6vBg8ghscMuvH1XVA==
T18 :
https://www.mouser.be/ProductDetail/Welwyn-Components-TT-Electronics/P 0915N-EC15BR10K?qs=K%2fj%2fqf%252b0fqLusmS0A0ck1w%3d%3d
As it is has been said the feel is softer than the common Song-huei/Alpha and some people won’t like them. But they are conductive plastic so more reliable in time.
Some renowned manufacturers use them (WMD and others).

Sorry these are b10k. I can’t see a100k in stock.
batchas
electric mist wrote:
electric mist wrote:
D-Shaft :
https://www.mouser.be/ProductDetail/Welwyn-Components-TT-Electronics/P 0915N-FC15BR10K?qs=56eeD6vBg8ghscMuvH1XVA==
T18 :
https://www.mouser.be/ProductDetail/Welwyn-Components-TT-Electronics/P 0915N-EC15BR10K?qs=K%2fj%2fqf%252b0fqLusmS0A0ck1w%3d%3d
As it is has been said the feel is softer than the common Song-huei/Alpha and some people won’t like them. But they are conductive plastic so more reliable in time.
Some renowned manufacturers use them (WMD and others).

Sorry these are b10k. I can’t see a100k in stock.

I'm also looking at Mouser to place my order, but as info Digikey has them.
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/tt-electronics-bi/P0915N-FC1 5BR100K/987-1709-ND/5957453
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group