MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Comments on ZVex LoFi Junky pedal VS. eurorack version
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Comments on ZVex LoFi Junky pedal VS. eurorack version
slentthndr
Seems like the same exact thing, except the eurorack version is missing the tone knob? I wonder how much I'll miss that and whether it makes sense to get the euro one or to just go with the pedal?
Comments?
placebo92
I found a good deal on the pedal so went that route.

For me cv control doesn't seem hugely crucial with the Junky so the module doesn't justify the HP in my small setup, plus it's not a sound I will want to use %100 of the time.
Another + with the pedal is using it with the aux send on my external mixer is really convenient.

Probably can't go wrong either way, but I'm very happy with the pedal!
Shrigg
Is there any appreciable difference between the hand-painted and the Vexter Lofi Junky pedal versions? I owned the Vexter Lofi Junky pedal a few years ago and always thought it was a bit noisy
slentthndr
My understanding is that they're the same but I might be mistaken.

I'm considering getting the Warped Vinyl Mkii instead if It's going to be a pedal anyway. The Lofi junky seems like you can really only get one particular sound out of it.. not much variety.
ngarjuna
slentthndr wrote:
My understanding is that they're the same but I might be mistaken.

I'm considering getting the Warped Vinyl Mkii instead if It's going to be a pedal anyway. The Lofi junky seems like you can really only get one particular sound out of it.. not much variety.

emphasis mine
This gets said a lot and I don’t think it’s true. There are a bunch of distinctly different ways to grunge things up just owing to the setting of the comp/lofi knob. There are a whole range of settings in the middle which sound not much at all like the two extremes of the control not to mention when you start modulating it. CV control over speed makes for a bunch of cool possibilities as well that you don’t get in the pedal.

And in addition to the variaous CV ins the EXT waveform in is really a huge and cool feature you don’t get in the pedal.
Johnnyfive
been looking at these two recently - my understanding is that the eurorack has a dry/wet mix, which the pedal lacks. might be a nice way to get some parallel compression, which would be a bit more of a hassle to do with the pedal (though by no means impossible).
slentthndr
ngarjuna wrote:
And in addition to the variaous CV ins the EXT waveform in is really a huge and cool feature you don’t get in the pedal.

Interesting... what do you use the EXT waveform in for?
slentthndr
THE TWO SOUND COMPLETELY DIFFERENT

I'm testing the Euro version and pedal version of the Instant Junky side by side.
First off, the euro version is twice as hot. The output from it, I mean. The sound is completely different also. The pedal distorts very nicely when I drive it with the output from my moogs, but the euro version stays clean and just gets hella loud. Anyone have an explanation for this? Could have to do with the input impedance... obviously the pedal is expecting an instrument level input whereas the euro version is expecting a hot signal so I suppose that's why it doesn't distort when I run a moog through it.

Idk if I'm doing something wrong here but the dry/wet knob almost isn't useful because it boosts the volume so dramatically....
dooj88
i grabbed the pedal since i didn't feel it would earn the hp. but the waveform input is a really nice feature. if you have the means, it would be great to hear a comparison!
taylor12k
i have both and have not tried them side by side... tho, on a completely off-the-top-of-my-head opinion the pedal seems to sound better... but, again, i haven't tested them with the same input or side by side.. but, i tend to think most pedals sound better than their feature-similar eurorack modules..

however, the EXT input on the euro version is just about worth the price alone... the preset waveforms on the pedal (and euro) were always too regular for me.. they didn't capture the randomness of "tape" enough.. too steady of a glitch...

i'll feed the EXT input with a weirder shaped LFO from an e355 or something and get much nicer warbly patterns..
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1