MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Smoke when switch on (trouble)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Smoke when switch on (trouble)
Andy137
Another newbie question and trouble. Got the second group of modules and mounted into Doepfer LC3 84hp case. When I switched it on MI Peaks and Disting MK4 was lighting like when it was usual start. But then I noticed there came a little colourful smoke (maybe blue) and didn't realise where from. The modules didn't light after that. Then I turned it off.

What can it be? And are all my modules still alive? If there any fuse working? What should I do next?

And in the attachment there's a document about bus orientation? Is it important?

First group of modules before that worked fine: MI Grids, MI Peaks, ES Disting mk4.

The second group of modules: Erica Synths Pico Multi, Erica Synths Pico Drums, Doepfer A-106-5, Synthesis Technology E330, ALM Pamela's New Workout
Summa
Andy137 wrote:

And in the attachment there's a document about bus orientation? Is it important?

Are you trolling, or what?
Andy137
Summa wrote:
Andy137 wrote:

Can you help with advice?
Hale
It seems you've let the Magic Smoke out..

(This is generally not a good sign.)

Most likely you lined up the -12V of your ribbon cable and the connector incorrectly.
Relevant reference

In case this is not a troll, I'm terribly sorry for your loss.
Andy137
Hale wrote:

Most likely you lined up the -12V of your ribbon cable and the connector incorrectly.
Relevant reference

I should rotate wrong connections? Or it's too late? As I understand only some of new modules were with wrong connection?
Hale
Andy137 wrote:
Hale wrote:

Relevant reference

I should rotate wrong connections? Or it's too late? As I understand only some of new modules were with wrong connection?

It depends really. In a perfect world chances are only the module(s) you connected wrong are fried. If you did actually connect the module(s) incorrectly I doubt rotating those will be of much help, but I guess it's worth a shot.
Andy137
Hale wrote:
Andy137 wrote:
Hale wrote:

Relevant reference

It depends really. In a perfect world chances are only the module(s) you connected wrong are fried. If you did actually connect the module(s) incorrectly I doubt rotating those will be of much help, but I guess it's worth a shot.

Thank you very much. Is there any other reasons of smoke?
Trebbers
Yes, sometimes a component can just fail on a module. However, you most likely connected at least one module backwards. Here's how I would deal with it:

Unplug power from your case. Inspect your modules to see that they were connected correctly and for damage (burst/bulging capacitors, burn marks, smelling like death). Make sure the busboard/PSU looks normal.

Pull any incorrectly connected and/or damaged seeming modules out of the case.

Check the documentation for your case on how to check/possibly replace the fuse.

Power on the case w/non-damaged looking modules that had been connected correctly. If those work, I would then unplug those modules, and then, one at a time, test any modules that had been connected backwards but didn't appear to be damaged.

I would have the manufacturer/a tech look at any modules that look damaged or that didn't power-up.
hermbot
Andy137 wrote:
Summa wrote:
Andy137 wrote:

Can you help with advice?

The orientation of the power cable is very, very important, and many a new modular user has fried a module because they connected them backwards. It is common enough that this emoticon exists, which you can get by putting the phrase "eurosmoke" between two colons:
FUUUCCKKKK!!!
cptnal
If we can take anything positive from Andy137's tragic tale, it's a link to hermbot's excellent YouTube channel.
tioJim
:(

How did you get as far as buying and installing modules without discovering the power cable has an orientation? Did you not read the manuals at least?
Chartreuse-J
Andy137 wrote:
Hale wrote:
Andy137 wrote:
Hale wrote:

Relevant reference

What does the smoke smell like?

Does it smell earthy with a hint of citrus or a hint of the musk from a raccoon?

You can tell the orientation of the mishap just by the smell.

Reorient and whiff the smoke again.

The blue smoke might smell differently from the green smoke in that case I think you are ok.
Andy137
Chartreuse-J wrote:
Andy137 wrote:
Hale wrote:
Andy137 wrote:
Hale wrote:

Relevant reference

Does it smell earthy with a hint of citrus or a hint of the musk from a raccoon?

The blue smoke might smell differently from the green smoke in that case I think you are ok.

It was blue. Blue is not so dangerous process?
cptnal
Andy137 wrote:
Chartreuse-J wrote:
Andy137 wrote:
Hale wrote:
Andy137 wrote:
Hale wrote:

Relevant reference

It was blue. Blue is not so dangerous process?

I think there was some gentle trolling going on there. All smoke is bad. waah
beliefsystemrecords
Take all modules out then put them back in with the right orientation. You probably shorted 5v or some shite. Im not sure if doepfer psu has some protection. It probably has and you blew the fuse that now needs to be replaced (maybe thats where the smoke came from). Anyhow be way more carefull on how you connect your modules to your rack!
Andy137
Thanks everyone who helped. I replugged new modules correctly. And noticed only one is dead. It was Erica Synths Pico Multi. So now I know power connection is very important thing I should keep an eye on.
Robscorch
You were extremely lucky. w00t

That little red line is freaking lethal.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1