MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Synth DIY stack exchange in the making
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author Synth DIY stack exchange in the making
TheSlowGrowth
Hello y'all,

someone recently started a proposal for a synth DIY stackexchange site. We are currently going through the various phases of defining the scope of the site. I think it's a great idea and afaik this has not been posted here so I thought I'd share it.

Stack exchange is a great format to ask and answer questions systematically. The voting system highlights relevant questions and the badges and reputation scores encourage detailed and high-quality answers. I've been using other stack exchange sites for years now and it has been a huge help learning things - simply because the structure of the threads makes relevant answers more visible and helps to raise the "signal-to-nosie-ratio".

Anyway, I think this could be a great addition to our existing platforms. While forums are great for build threads, announcments, group buys etc. they are IMO not very good at collecting knowledge. I see a lot of the same questions appearing over and over and a stack exchange site could really help in creating a wealth of well structured knowledge for us to browse and search.

If you like the idea, please check out the proposal! Lets build a great synth DIY platform!
TheMentat
I like... up-vote!
NANO-Jorge
It could be a good platform! thumbs up
autodafe
nice!
cretaceousear
Oi dunno - they don't foster a sense of community.
They foster elitism.
"This question has been asked already - post removed dumb ass."

I use S.O. and its kin but can't be arsed to answer queries there. I don't like it TBH.
GrantB
Oooooh goody! Will it scold me for offering or asking an opinion? I love a good scolding! /SNARK

jk good luck with your endeavor
nurbivore
cretaceousear wrote:
They foster elitism.

I use S.O. and its kin but can't be arsed to answer queries there. I don't like it TBH.

You're not wrong, but "use the search function" is pretty much the standard reply to most questions around here.
Joe.
nurbivore wrote:

You're not wrong, but "use the search function" is pretty much the standard reply to most questions around here.

And then it's ignored and everyone has a great chat anyway hihi

Problem I have with vote systems is if someone is a cranky old timer (most engineers), then they gain a negative following. Once enough people hate you they'll downvote advice wether it's useful or not.

cackland
Look forward to seeing how this turns out smile
satindas
TheSlowGrowth wrote:
Lets build a great synth DIY platform!

Bit of an odd thing to suggest on a great synth DIY platform hmmm.....
commodorejohn
cretaceousear wrote:
They foster elitism.

Yeah, this. The mailing lists are informative and low-noise but never unfriendly. StackFoo sites are, as far as I've ever seen, mostly operated on the premise that every question has one and only one Correct Answer and after one person has explained it seven years ago in the forty-third search result for a phrasing of a broadly similar question using completely different terminology, diverging from that predetermined answer is heresy and grounds for shunning.
TheSlowGrowth
I don't know ... I never had the impression that stack exchange sites are elitist or unfriendly. There is a strong focus on the actual question and its answer(s), and not much else. Which I really like when I'm searching for a solution to a problem.

Yes, there's no "hey buddy, how's your 259 coming along?" - but that is actually a good thing when you're looking for solutions.

And I'm not saying we should replace muff's or facebook groups or whatever else we all like to use. Stack Exchange is the completely wrong format for group buys, announcments, general chats etc. but is is very good at giving you precise answers to specific questions. If you can't phrase your question precisely (which is totally fine) then stack exchange is not the right format for the question. I don't think that's elitism.

It's a different platform with a different focus and that can be a very good thing. Why should we not want this?

EDIT: And if the site is unfriendly or not - who knows? We're still in the definition phase. At this point there's no reason to say it's going to be a cold and unfriendly place.
cretaceousear
You do have a point - what's frustrating here on MW is when you have a PCB and know you must read 22 pages of its dedicated thread to check what mods have been made for best performance - and then a few side threads to check if those mods really were useful.

TBH - maybe there should be a sub section of DIY where some poor soul prunes the PCB threads for the important info - could be a useful job for LoFiJunglist aka Joe. hihi
Joe.
Why does that sound like a punishment? Dead Banana

I know your pain though, the 291 build thread was really frustrating. There's about 10 really important posts and they're completely hidden, there's no way to flag them as critical for the build.

cretaceousear
Well I'm sure it could get tedious quickly.

It should really be the responsibility of the PCB designer to maintain a single summarised build page. But for first months of a new design it could need lots of updates.
Look at Erica synths thread on first version of Polyvox VCF (now superseded by v2) - I had to make notes from several different threads to get a final recipe. Not a disaster but not quick.

And you don't know whether to look at start of thred or end of thread for best summary - only solution is to read it all!
bezier
Seems like a good idea. Following
Jefro
I use stackexchange every day at work. This is a fantastic idea!
dallol
This would be great! I've never really run into the elitism issue with SO, though even they admit they have a problem on that front (https://stackoverflow.blog/2018/04/26/stack-overflow-isnt-very-welcom ing-its-time-for-that-to-change/).
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1