MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Modular Music Podcast
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author Modular Music Podcast
Bobbyr77
Hi Y'all

I am looking to start a modular music podcast - eg not discussing modules / technique etc but playing some of the awesome music people are creating. I am looking to put the first show out in a month or so, and would like to get some Wigglers music to play.

If you have anything you would like to be considered please email me - mcrmodular at gmail dot com. All styles / formats etc are welcome

Thanks!
BenA718
Interesting idea, but what makes this a podcast instead of a radio show? Will you be breaking down the patches/discussing them with the pople who submitted them? A cool variation would be user-submitted patch ideas that you turn into short pieces and explain the process.
Bobbyr77
BenA718 wrote:
Interesting idea, but what makes this a podcast instead of a radio show? Will you be breaking down the patches/discussing them with the pople who submitted them? A cool variation would be user-submitted patch ideas that you turn into short pieces and explain the process.

I guess it would be more of a radio show than a podcast, although I'm not sure what the distinction is between the two?

In any case yes - audio patch notes would be something I would want to do, certainly

I like the idea of the user generated patch ideas - I always thought a youtube vid series exploring some of the patches from 'The Book of Bad Ideas' would be a cool thing. I think that kind of thing would be better suited to video perhaps?
BenA718
I don't know; the last time I checked, we still listen with our ears not our eyes. smile

Sounds like you should write down your 'mission statement' as to what you are trying to do, exactly. 99.9999% of all podcasts don't last beyond three episodes. Maybe plan on doing it as a mini series at first?
BenignToxicity
Podcast or Radio Show? The lines are blurred as we progress further into a download society and scheduled broadcast becomes less relevant. For what it's worth... my definitions are more around usage rather than delivery medium:
Radio: Something transitory. Aural wallpaper that can be ignored. Background noise. Indiscriminate.
Podcast: Something I consciously source and actively listen to. Purposeful.

I grew up in the UK listening to the radio (primarily the BBC). I'm happy that podcasts are trying to fill the void by giving an easy-access platform to professionals and amateurs alike. From full-blow audio dramas to one kid with a crappy microphone fueled with a passion to "broadcast". Come one, come all.

As for a modular music podcast... you are up against the massive amount of video content out there. In fact you could easy construct a show from the audio extracted from these videos (with a CC license) and adding a bit of chit-chat between your curated playlist... and that's the important bit. What's your differentiator? Well... it's you. What are you bringing to the table? What makes your show unique and compelling? Themes, discussions, interviews, reviews... or just compelling curated music?

Podcasting is not as easy as it looks. I really like BenA718's "Mission Statement" idea. You have to have some clarity and focus, otherwise it's not going to compete with the million other things trying to grab our attention. My own (non-music) podcast is in pod-fade and dangerously close to disappearing altogether after 30+ episodes and 65K+ downloads. It's a discussion program... personality driven by a small group of people. We are unique in what we do in our field... we have fans... but still we fade.
Bobbyr77
BenA718 wrote:
I don't know; the last time I checked, we still listen with our ears not our eyes. smile

Sounds like you should write down your 'mission statement' as to what you are trying to do, exactly. 99.9999% of all podcasts don't last beyond three episodes. Maybe plan on doing it as a mini series at first?

Totally agree about listening with ears, not eyes - my point was that playing with patch ideas and patch technique is, IMO, better suited to video

The idea with the podcast is exactly to listen to the music - there is loads of content on module discussion etc, I want this to focus on the music people are making
cptnal
BenA718 - where do you source your statistics?

BenignToxicity - What about podcasts of radio shows?

Bobbyr77 - Good luck! Reckon it's a tough one to get just right.

(Note: Questions 1 and 2 are rhetorical. thumbs up )
BenignToxicity
cptnal wrote:

BenignToxicity - What about podcasts of radio shows?
I think this is where our terminology has to be revisited. The lines are very muddy... I actually listen to a number of BBC radio shows as podcasts. As I'm in NY, it's the only practical way... plus podcasts provide on-demand scheduling. Spotify is an internet driven curated music distribution system... is it radio? Although technically not, my definition would dictate that it is.

To me, it all hinges on whether or not it's active or passive listening... but that gets shot down when someone tunes into a discussion show on NPR. I guess that we could be pedantic and say it's a radio show if it's broadcast via a transmitter and received by a traditional radio... and podcast if it's internet distribution... but, as you noted, this just doesn't fit anymore with the crossover. It's a conundrum.
hermbot
This seems like a kind of silly definitional argument. The guy wants to release a podcast - that's a method of distribution, not a description of content. On that podcast will be music, made by modular people.

I think it's a great idea!
Bobbyr77
hermbot wrote:
This seems like a kind of silly definitional argument. The guy wants to release a podcast - that's a method of distribution, not a description of content. On that podcast will be music, made by modular people.

I think it's a great idea!

You got it! Thanks dude
BenignToxicity
hermbot wrote:
...that's a method of distribution, not a description of content...
Yes... this is where language lags behind real-life usage sometimes. You are absolutely correct that the delivery medium does not define the content. The great thing about podcasts is that they are so easily made and distributed... the content can stand or fall on its own merit, not because of the pressures on a relatively small number of linear broadcast streams that needs something to put between the advertising smile

You can also podcast as a one-person operation... you don't need anyone else to get something recorded and distributed... just respect artist copyright and get it out there!
J1m
This is a great idea! The best thing about podcasts is that you can just do it. Make your own rules, the format can evolve as you go - there’s no executive structure to hold you back.

Do I wish there were more podcasts discussing technique? Yes! But that’s a different podcast, and if I really want it badly enough I could and should start it myself. The podcast you propose will be a real gift to the community, and I can’t wait to listen.
Bobbyr77
J1m wrote:
This is a great idea! The best thing about podcasts is that you can just do it. Make your own rules, the format can evolve as you go - there’s no executive structure to hold you back.

Do I wish there were more podcasts discussing technique? Yes! But that’s a different podcast, and if I really want it badly enough I could and should start it myself. The podcast you propose will be a real gift to the community, and I can’t wait to listen.

Thanks for the positive words dude. Groundwork continues....
abelovesfun
I make modular music as bandcamp.forcedamage.com.
There are vintage drum machines, mellotrons, and guitars as well, but lots and lots and lots of modular.
maffa84
Cool idea!
SalvorHardin
nice
ben_hex
Data cult audio has a weekly podcast of Modular Music where each episode is a mix entirely from one artist. Either seperate recorded tracks mixed or one long performance.

Will you be mixing individual tracks?
Bobbyr77
ben_hex wrote:
Data cult audio has a weekly podcast of Modular Music where each episode is a mix entirely from one artist. Either seperate recorded tracks mixed or one long performance.

Will you be mixing individual tracks?

Hi mate - The intention is to do this unmixed, but I will definitely check Data Cult out
ben_hex
Bobbyr77 wrote:

Hi mate - The intention is to do this unmixed, but I will definitely check Data Cult out

Unmixed sets it apart. A collection of pieces/tracks per episode. Becomes a different thing.
lisa
Cool initiative! I might like to listen to it..

There are tons of great music made on modulars. There's also ten times of that in unstructured, unmixed jams and "ambient" (anything with tons of reverb, apparently) without any real direction or idea. For the podcast the be good heavy curation will be essential. If you pick gems to play, the show will be a gem too. IMO. w00t
ben_hex
lisa wrote:
Cool initiative! I might like to listen to it..

There are tons of great music made on modulars. There's also ten times of that in unstructured, unmixed jams and "ambient" (anything with tons of reverb, apparently) without any real direction or idea. For the podcast the be good heavy curation will be essential. If you pick gems to play, the show will be a gem too. IMO. w00t

Totally agree. Curation is key. You can create something really impressive potentially.
ignatius
sent OP an email w/links. all for it. getting the tunes out there in a curated way is a good idea.

good luck w/the podcast!
magnetsandlasers
Sounds like a great idea. I'd subscribe. It would be cool to hear different kinds of themes: patches from different folks featuring a particular module, different interpretations of styles or genres, etc etc.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 1