MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Prototyping with Reaktor
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author Prototyping with Reaktor
slow_riot
I generally prototype ideas in SPICE until I have something I think will work, then build up a physical prototype. This can be time consuming and can limit experimentation due to the work involved. I've recently been using Reaktor for messing around on and I thought I would try it for modelling a new filter topology, it works great! I'm not using core, just the basic primary modules for integration, summation, multiplication etc. It will also implement zero latency feedback correction in real time.

I think there are other packages which allow real time audio, which I'm sure will work equally well.
pre55ure
Interesting.
I've thought of doing this before, but for whatever reason just havent ever gotten around to it.

Any particular issues or downsides that you've noticed with this approach?
slow_riot
Like SPICE simulation you have to ask a bunch of questions about the results you're seeing, and ultimately you have to defer to a physical model to be totally sure.

The filter model I've built up is quite unstable, will need to look into whether that's in the filter maths or a software quirk. But I've taken the idea out of concept and probably will do hardware analysis on a production prototype.
BugBrand
Interesting!
I've tried simple ideas with the Nord G2 demo before, but Reaktor must be much lower level, so should be useful. Haven't used it for 10 years though!
slow_riot
I find it fascinating. The user community is a big part of it too, and some of the ideas coming out are at some of the frontiers of synthesis. I don't think anyone else has done a VCO like the one in Weedwacker (that could be done with any good tri core VCO though by the user).
sempervirent
VCV Rack (full disclosure: I'm the designer) is great for software prototyping and there's a ton of open-source code to reference.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1