MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Tiptop uZeus Blue LEDs
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Tiptop uZeus Blue LEDs
distracted
Hi Wigglers,

I have what appears to me to be a fairly unique problem in that the blue LEDs in my uZeus power supplies really strain my eyes. Does anyone know where in the UK i could get them changed for a reasonable price.

Many Thanks Kenny

Picture file
target_destroyed
I just took a black magic marker and put a dot in the center of mine. Probably not the most elegant solution, but they no longer sear my retinas when glancing in their general direction. Dead Banana
mckenic
Not as unique as you might think!
I had tape over my 2 (didnt work) - then desoldered the leds (not a hard job but a bit of a PITA) - then I discovered before taking on the 2nd one that cloudy nail polish is your friend!

About 5 coats on each led (let it dry in between) and mine are tamed-ish to the point I dont get a raging headache every time I power on the system.

If you have to have them replaced and cant find anyone locally/nationally drop me a line!
negativspace
Possibly the least unique problem of all time. hihi

I don't want to talk badly about TipTop products because the modules have never let me down and Gur is a truly great guy, but the LEDs on the uZeus are an issue. I haven't poked around behind the panel, but surely there are some resistors in there that one could swap? I'm lazy, I just cover them with a post-it/electrical tape/etc when they bother me.
distracted
Hi,

i knew there would be some ingenious ideas here and thank you also for the offer of help. A practical solution is what i am most in favour of as i have quite a few of them!

Thanks Kenny
Blairio
I have a few modules with that colour of (Cobalt) blue LED, some of them too bright.

Various studies have shown that prolonged exposure to that wavelength of intense blue light can affect sleep patterns, so it is not just a nuisance. I use a small dot of Tipp-Ex (white typing correcting fluid) on mine.

The worst offender in my rig is my WMD/SSF Spectrum VCO. It is a shame, because it is a beautiful module. It is well made, sounds great, and is a joy to use. But oh those LEDS!

Blair edit: Tipp-Ex can easily be removed if necessary.
JohnLRice
I was just thinking that little drops of white or colored glue like Elmer's etc might work?

Then I thought that a plastic drinking straw might work well as diffusion. Not sure how to attach it (maybe white glue or epoxy on the tops of the LEDs?) but it does make for a very nice diffusion.

hmmm..... Thinking about it now it might have worked to cut a larger diameter piece and slip one edge of the straw between the two modules to hold it in place?
Yes Powder
Taken from the Modular Memes thread
Original credit: Christopher Winkels
dooj88
ha, that reminds me..

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2832529#2832529
Trebbers
LED dimming stickers.
JonathanBedrava
I had the same experience. Bright as the freakin' sun. A dab of nail polish covers it up nicely.
alexbarbed
A tiny ball of blu-tack squished on. Doesn't leave a trace when you take it off again, either.
distracted
Hi All,

Thanks again for the healthy discussion, unless they are dimmable what i am sensing here is that blue lights are not ideal.

Any manufacturers reading this thread please take note.

I will not be buying any modules with blue lights after i have "fixed" my 16 uZeus modules.

Thanks Kenny
Yes Powder
distracted wrote:
I will not be buying any modules with blue lights after i have "fixed" my 16 uZeus modules.

Let's not write them all off.
I recently got a VPME.de Euclidean Circles, and it's an amazing module. It has multicolored LEDs— and blue is a color that is often used within the interface, but it's dimmable to a very reasonable level. (Also its brightness setting is set lowest by default, so it won't even fry your retinas the first time you fire it up.)
A few Bastl modules use some lower-brightness multicolor lights to indicate interface states.
I'm sure there are more examples...

Thankfully, I feel that most manufacturers who were using them as an æsthetic gimmick (a futuristic alternative to red??) have given up on it— or are at least using lower-brightness blues instead.
distracted
Hi Yes Powder,

tis a fair point you make but i am already so wary.

OK manufacturers send me all your modules with blue LEDs and i will test them!!! only for light intensity you understand, anyone with dimmable LEDs i will mark you out of 10. Additional marks will be awarded to those offering both linear and exponential curve characteristics, Gold star if they have cv inputs, hey now gives me an idea for a module - The Distracted Disco - must speak to Urs H and co.

Kenny
Blairio
Interesting article (only one of many) on the effect of exposure to artificial blue light on sleep (before going to sleep). It messes with melatonin levels....

Blair edit: Also, blue wavelengths suppress delta brainwaves, which induce sleep, and boost alpha wavelengths, which create alertness.

https://www.livescience.com/53874-blue-light-sleep.html
matttech
Apparently some people use nail varnish to dim them down a bit. Not tried it myself
NANO-Jorge
I might be an alien or something similar because the uZeus leds doesn't disturb me hihi
chriscarter
matttech wrote:
Apparently some people use nail varnish to dim them down a bit. Not tried it myself

Yes I have an issue with bright LEDs too - I have bits of tape covering them on all sorts of modules. But the nail varnish trick can be useful too - you just have to be careful how you apply it. Of course it works best if you can remove the LEDs from the front panel first - fairly easy if they are mounted on a pcb, just detach the whole pcb from the panel. But be sure to let the nail varnish set hard before putting the LEDs back into place.
nolongerhuman
I've only had an issue with a few different modules LED brightness - uZeus is one, they are way too bright, same with the early generation of Intellijel Polaris, and some of the Klavis stuff.

My solution has been 400 or 800 grit sandpaper. Take off the panel and lightly sand the led (by hand, again, lightly - you are just trying to mildly abrade the surface not remove material from it) and now you have essentially a diffused LED, much easier on the eyes.
dooj88
nolongerhuman wrote:
I've only had an issue with a few different modules LED brightness - uZeus is one, they are way too bright, same with the early generation of Intellijel Polaris, and some of the Klavis stuff.

My solution has been 400 or 800 grit sandpaper. Take off the panel and lightly sand the led (by hand, again, lightly - you are just trying to mildly abrade the surface not remove material from it) and now you have essentially a diffused LED, much easier on the eyes.

i made a separate thread for this in the general modular sub forum.. these leds are already diffused and are insanely bright. the sandpaper might not help in all circumstances. i had to glob on white acrylic paint to dull them. the blue you see on some was permenant marker i was removing that the builder added to possibly attempt to tone them down.

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1