MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

ES3 MK4 - MOTU 828es
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers  
Author ES3 MK4 - MOTU 828es
nolongerhuman
I looked around and didn't find much in the way of info on the forums, so hopefully this is user error and simple to resolve.

I am trying to connect an ES3mk4 to a MOTU 828es. Outputs routed through the MOTU set up dialog to be standard ADAT, not TOS Link, lightpipe cable connected to ADAT out 1 on the interface and running directly to the ES3mk4.

The ES3mk4 shows no input or activity of any kind. No red light, and obviously no signals in or out. It appears to simply be off. It's plugged in to my case correctly, the lightpipe cable is new, and passing light, just zero in terms of activity from the ES3.

Any thoughts on what I might be doing wrong?
os
If you take the ADAT cable and plug both ends into the MOTU (MOTU out to MOTU in), can you pass audio signals around the loop?
nolongerhuman
The initial test doing that yielded a ton of just noise or static, but with a couple of tweaks yes, I can route around around from the MOTU ADAT out to ADAT in. After making those changes in the MOTU setup I tried again with the ES3mk4, and had the same result, no sign of activity at all.

I've ordered a new TOSlink cable, but I can't imagine that being the issue, as it's the same cable I used with an ES3mk2, and it worked fine.
os
Have you tried a different power cable on the ES-3? Or a different header in the case?
nolongerhuman
Initially I tried different headers in my case, with the same result. Just tried a new power cable for the ES3, also, no result.
os
Doesn't sound good. Did you buy this new?
nolongerhuman
Yes, purchased new last week. Just got a chance to plug it in yesterday.

I always assume user error, the MOTU 828es is a newer addition to the studio, but so far has worked with everything else, and the fact that it's definitely passing optical signal makes it seem like something going on on the other end with the ES3. I have a new optical cable coming in tomorrow, but that's really all I can think of. It's essentially plug and play from what I remember about my last ES3.
nolongerhuman
Just an update - It was the module, apparently. The dealer shipped me a replacement and it works perfectly. Same cables, setting, interface.

So, all's well that ends well.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers  
Page 1 of 1