MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Basic MATHS question: audio to trig?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Basic MATHS question: audio to trig?
The Grump
Just got a MATHS (yeah, finally), and I'm wondering if I can send audio signals into the Trig inputs, as well as the In1/4. I know the manual says CV, but I'm wondering if a pulse from an AC coupled output will also work. Thanks for any insight. Yeah, I know n00b stuff, but even wizards are beginners at some things, and I'm nowhere near wizardry.

Yes, had to grab the benjolin, too. My Cocoquantus was getting lonely.
mritenburg
If you put a slow audio square wave in, it will act just like a gate.
dumbledog
Audio is just CV going real fast smile

Yes, you can plug audio signals into the trig inputs. I don't know what it will *do* but it won't explode.

Maybe set the rise and fall real short and see if it does anything neat.
FrogStar
Grump you got a Benjolin and that makes you awesome!
Send the benjolin pulse b output into Maths trig and sinc two of the best modules ever!
Blairio
I am no Maths expert, but if you put an audio signal into input 1, you will get a trigger generated on the EOR (End Of Rise) jack output (bottom left of the module). EOR will trigger at the end of each rising waveform.

There is also EOC (End Of Cycle) associated with input 4, at the bottom right of the module.

Maths is great, with many (30+) possible functions. I can never remember them all but thankfully there are some very good Maths cheat-sheets available. My favourite is "maths2013-V1.11-blackbg.pdf" by 'Demonam'. it is incredibly useful. Do a net search and download it.
yeatsvisitslincoln
Audio (preferably square or saw wave) into Trigger on Channel 1 and then take EOR as your audio signal out and you'll get subharmonic generation. Use one note and turn your Rise and Fall all the way CCW and then slowly turn Rise CW and you'll hear the EOR jump octaves.

(I'm saying this from memory, if no one's corrected me or I haven't edited this in a couple days then I'm probably right lol)
Blairio
yeatsvisitslincoln wrote:
Audio (preferably square or saw wave) into Trigger on Channel 1 and then take EOR as your audio signal out and you'll get subharmonic generation.

I use this method to make Maths function as a clock divider. In the same way I use my Doepfer A-160 (clock divider) to generate sub-oscillations, though it works better with some waveforms (simpler the better) than others.
The Grump
Blairio wrote:
I am no Maths expert, but if you put an audio signal into input 1, you will get a trigger generated on the EOR (End Of Rise) jack output (bottom left of the module). EOR will trigger at the end of each rising waveform.

There is also EOC (End Of Cycle) associated with input 4, at the bottom right of the module.

Maths is great, with many (30+) possible functions. I can never remember them all but thankfully there are some very good Maths cheat-sheets available. My favourite is "maths2013-V1.11-blackbg.pdf" by 'Demonam'. it is incredibly useful. Do a net search and download it.

That guide is rad!
cptnal
Check out Hermbot's cool comparator patch and substitute "noise" with "audio". thumbs up

InteBra
Thanks! Gotta go home and try this random gate trick/tip!
The Grump
Rad tips, folks! Thanks! Peeped this on youtube as well. What a monster of a module! Any more craziness is welcomed!

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18ve3t1xJVU[/video]

I've also been checking out the Gold Serge book, the Creature manual, the aforementioned cookbook, as well. Any other tomes of knowledge and ideas?

BTW, wish I could upload a vid directly. Made some pretty ill stuff with the MATHS, Benjolin and Cocoquantus a few days ago.
cptnal
Blairio wrote:
Maths is great, with many (30+) possible functions.

...I wonder how many problems Jay-Z would be left with if he owned a Maths. hmmm.....
dooj88
when i discovered i could use maths to generate triggers from the audio going on in my patch, it was a happy day
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1