MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

is there something else as awesome as basimilus?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author is there something else as awesome as basimilus?
pixelforest
I'm figuring out my first live set - all dance music, and I cannot fully express how perfect my basimilus iteratus alter is for throwing down throbbing rolling squanchy lines straight out.

to give an idea of the sounds, I'm feeding it every trigger output from my drumdokta (whose audio also gets used for the secondary drums in the live rack) to womp around the parameters, CV coming out of the voltages on an expanded turing mkII and passing through a slew limiter on the way into pitch, and one channel off circadian rhythms (primary drum sequencer in this rack, runs mutant and tiptop 808/909 modules) to trigger of basimilus. harmonics and spread up fairly high to get it sounding real chord-y, attack dialed just to the point that the swishy noises come in on some gates, etc.

but I want to have variety....what do you guys suggest looking at? akemie's taiko maybe? i've got voices and cv sequencers handled, so i want to come up with some other module (or a few teamed up, I guess?) for bringing in the hard hitting simple lines to buy time while patching other stuff. bonus points if it plays nice with getting a bunch of gates like the basimilus does, maybe from a grids or something...
Aaronautical001
I'm posting mainly to tag along, but other modules in the NE line seem to respond well to triggers modulations as well. I have LIP, which is great, but needs some searching to find sweet spots, which may not be great in a live situation.
starthief
I expect you'd love Manis Iteritas too.
pixelforest
starthief wrote:
I expect you'd love Manis Iteritas too.

wow you might be onto something here, from my local shop: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6znhx2mdxGU
mdoudoroff
Note that the Manis is really more a bass voice than a drum voice. Most of its range is in aggressive territory. I like mine, but I feel like I’m not getting full use of it because I don’t make a lot of industrial-ish music.

Dinky’s Taiko seems to be a slow burner—doesn’t really impress in demos, but shines over time.
nectarios
If you want to make the BIA behave like synth voice and to *some* extent, sound like a Manis, just feed it a square wave from a VCO.

The sound changes dramatically as well. It was the one thing that held me from putting it up for sale, for a while at least. You might like the results.
Mikeyg3k
Manis iteritas is similarly amazing and awesome to me
xenosapien
I know it is not getting the same love as the BIA, but my Make Noise "Mysteron" does get produce some pretty gnarly sounds when tickled the right way!

Definitely would be a different flavor than the Noise Engineering stuff.
nectarios
xenosapien wrote:
I know it is not getting the same love as the BIA, but my Make Noise "Mysteron" does get produce some pretty gnarly sounds when tickled the right way!

Definitely would be a different flavor than the Noise Engineering stuff.

I have both still, they very different.
BIA runs circles around the Mysteron in terms of variety of sounds but nothing does what the Mysteron does either.

Cool modules both of them, although I am selling both if anyone's interested.
presidentofvice
Maybe DFAM? While obviously not the same concept as the BIA, you can get a bass line, and percussion out of one voice in the same kind of way. I was actually going to sell the BIA, because the DFAM, to me, just sounds incredible. Then I put the BIA through the external audio in on the DFAM and well, woah

Of course. It is 60hp or an extra box to carry around if that's a consideration.
Foghorn
nectarios wrote:
If you want to make the BIA behave like synth voice and to *some* extent, sound like a Manis, just feed it a square wave from a VCO.

The sound changes dramatically as well. It was the one thing that held me from putting it up for sale, for a while at least. You might like the results.

Feed an audio rate square wave, where....Pitch?,,,Trigger?

I am definitely interested in getting something new out of BIA

Foghorn
brianobush
presidentofvice wrote:
Maybe DFAM? While obviously not the same concept as the BIA, you can get a bass line, and percussion out of one voice in the same kind of way. I was actually going to sell the BIA, because the DFAM, to me, just sounds incredible. Then I put the BIA through the external audio in on the DFAM and well, woah

Of course. It is 60hp or an extra box to carry around if that's a consideration.

Going to second the DFAM. It seems to generate the most amazing sounds and rhythms, though have not integrated it with my rack yet much.
Mcz303
Just starting out in Modular but got the akemie's Taiko it's got a great range of sounds and can do synth lines as well. It's got some nice bass drum sounds too which maybe don't come up in the demos too much. I find that because it has a whole FM synth chip of possibilities crammed into a few parameters when I modulate it i tend to end up in more snare/noise and synthy Tom hits (not doing a great job of describing it) which are represented well in the demos.

Not sure if that fits your hard hitting simple lines idea but with something that gives you a solid kick it easily covers the other drum sounds whilst being pretty immediate in adding variety to keep it interesting whilst you figure out the rest of your patch!
nectarios
Foghorn wrote:
nectarios wrote:

Feed an audio rate square wave, where....Pitch?,,,Trigger?

I am definitely interested in getting something new out of BIA

Foghorn

Trigger input.
ipnoteca
after getting a future retro transient i sold my basimilus, no regret at all.

what i feel about the basimilus is that the sounds possibilities are "few", use to get the same sounds of it and did try kinda everything, maybe not the module for me...
nectarios
ipnoteca wrote:
after getting a future retro transient i sold my basimilus, no regret at all.

what i feel about the basimilus is that the sounds possibilities are "few", use to get the same sounds of it and did try kinda everything, maybe not the module for me...

Funny, after getting the Transient + is when I decided to put the BIA for sale as well.

Although they could not be more different, I find the Transient + more fitting for the stuff I make. Although the BIA does the metallic nasty clangs very well and it was the reason I got one, but I'll just sample the few hits I like from it, throw them in the SD card for the Transient + and send the BIA to a more loving home than mine. I like too few things from the BIA and its a rather expensive module for what I use it for.
kirky
Anything that goes as well with a voltage block as the BIA?
Hi5
Another +1 for the Transient especially with the new update.
Found the sound generating modules from NI to have a specific sound and a bit too lo-fi/crunchy for my taste. Transient allows for a wider range. All the classic drum sounds and when you get creative with the 2 internal vco, am/rm options, and the internal filter you can mangle things to no end.

Given you have the BIA I think the Transient would offer a very different (or similar) palate if you want while still filling a lot of drum duties. Presets too so in a live context that is super convenient.
windspirit
Plaits or a uBraids is awesome for percussion.
rhythmdial
glad to hear some push for the transient, Ive had my eye on one to get basic drums but man some of the modulation heavy programming available is really mind bending sound wise!
wellurban
In some ways, SSF's Entity Percussion Synthesizer is an analogue counterpart to BIA: designed for drums/percussion but capable of 1v/o basslines/leads; fun to play live; almost everything is CVable; hugely versatile. It tends towards cleaner sounds than BIA, but with the internal wavefolder and overdrive you can get as nasty as you want. External FM makes it even crunchier, and you can even process external audio for extra weirdness. It can create pretty decent 808/909ish kicks and snares, plus rimshots, laser zaps and some pretty good hi-hats and claps, but you can get into very experimental territory too.
calvinsomething
The SSF Entities both sound awesome.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1